Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Imagine being so liberal that you think any of this is Trump’s fault.

The thing that boggles me is how you can think this, internalize that his supporters are responsible for... millions of deaths... untold suffering, the unravelling of democracy, countless acts of stupidity and cruelty - all with outsized impact and power due to systemic forces that follow from the mere act of extending them the franchise.

and then shrug and do absolutely loving nothing, about anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
they need to figure out a way to do a quadrivalent vaccine for multiple covid variants at once

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Koirhor posted:

they need to figure out a way to do a quadrivalent vaccine for multiple covid variants at once

horse. paste.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
she finally finished googling

https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1433056719731576837?s=19

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Although I guess the dam will probably break on that with the whole pandemic of the unvaxxinated talk, so I should get my digs in on it now.

Whatever that unlocks is gonna be people hitting each other in some really vicious ways and not a drat thing happening to leadership though.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

This means they had a meeting where they discussed, sagely nodding at each other, that in the interest of public health it would be a good idea to advise this. At the same time imagining there are people who would see this and change their plans accordingly. Like any. In their minds there are >0 people in the US going "Honey, I'm reading this statement from the CDC and I don't think we should go to the beach this weekend."

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

genericnick posted:

Lol Denmark.

Because a majority in parliament insisted on letting people get jabbed with J&J and AZ after they were removed from the vaccination program due to associated risks, a private company received $2.69m to vaccinate just 60 people in one week in August, or $44,833 per dose administered. I don't know who these people are who'd prefer those when there was ample supply of mRNA at that point, but :lmao: at everything.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Mmm got my crack ping out of the way early this morning - great!

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1433059147138748419?s=20

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

This means they had a meeting where they discussed, sagely nodding at each other, that in the interest of public health it would be a good idea to advise this. At the same time imagining there are people who would see this and change their plans accordingly. Like any. In their minds there are >0 people in the US going "Honey, I'm reading this statement from the CDC and I don't think we should go to the beach this weekend."

:lol:

That anyone outside of CSPAM cares about COVID-19 in TYOOL 2021

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ice Phisherman posted:

I'm going to assume that this is the fatality rate when hospitals are around to get people through the worst of it. When those fill up and we have shortages or labor and materiel, it'll be more.

Also the new variants have adapted to those with vaccines and people who assume that vaccine equals safety are going to get run over at some point too because the government byline will have lulled them into complacency.

Yeah look what happened in India for example for when you have a medical system crashing down in the middle of a hyper-infectious variant.

Two years later the US is already getting in a losing "war of attrition" with healthcare sector workers resigning, going on disability leave and in some cases dying after getting infected.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Sorry if a similar joke has been made already in the thread but I can't get this crappy thought out of my head.

Got me a FB post
I want you to know
Shooting up horse paste
I want you to know
Vaccine so icky
I want you to know
Don't know about you
But I am un cheval malade
I am un cheval malade
I am un cheval malade
I am un cheval malade
Wanna grow up to use
Use a dewormer
(Dewormer)
Dewormer
(Dewormer)
Dewormer
(Dewormer)
Dewormer
(Dewormer)
Dewormer
(Dewormer)
Dewormer
(Dewormer)
Got me a COVID
Ah ha ha ho
Cheesing up lungs
Ah ha ha ho
Vent is so tubie
Ah ha ha ho
Don't know about you
But I am un cheval malade
I am un cheval malade
I am un cheval malade
I am un cheval malade
Dewormer
(Dewormer)
Dewormer
(Dewormer)
Dewormer
(Dewormer)
Dewormer
(Dewormer)
Dewormer
(Dewormer)
Dewormer

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 1, 2021

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Buffer posted:

and then shrug and do absolutely loving nothing, about anything.

Liberals are extremely reasonable people. And they will throw reasonable arguments at their problems until they go away.

And if they don't go away, they will very ignore those problems until they interfere with their level of comfort. At which point they will screech and gnash their teeth and tear their clothes in the most reasonable way possible.

They will then direct state violence to reasonably suppress and murder what makes them sad and look the other way while it happens.

All very reasonable and sensible.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Didn't consent to the great Barrington declaration to be the new social contract

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Crazyweasel posted:

gotta get these kids on an ivermectin regimen

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://triblive.com/local/plum/plum-mayor-not-happy-that-verizon-requested-he-wear-a-mask-while-in-his-home-during-a-service-call/

quote:

Plum Mayor Harry Schlegel said Verizon canceled an appointment to upgrade his service because he refused to comply with the company’s request to wear a mask while in his home with a technician.

“I don’t care if your technician comes in a space suit,” Schlegel said. “That’s up to them, but you’re not going to tell me to wear a mask in my house. … It’s my private property. You can’t tell me what I have to do. You can tell your employee what to do.”

The company’s request was for the customer to wear a facial covering if not able to maintain 6 feet separation during the visit, and asked if he was OK with it.

The mayor replied that he would not wear a mask in his own home.

After a couple of other text messages, the company canceled the appointment.

It's cool how quickly "businesses have freedom to do business as they choose" turns into "they need to do what I tell them to." lmao

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

I don't know why but I had sorta assumed that "piece of paper with handwritten info on it" was an exaggeration of how lax the standards were for proving covid vax status.

How the gently caress has it progressed this far without someone in government or journalism or even Stephen A. Smith going on a public rant about the guaranteed clusterfuck combination of:

- Hostile resistance by some to get vax;
- Failure to mandate vax;
- Failure to create national database; &
- Relying on easily forged "hall passes" to prove vax status.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Crazyweasel posted:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

kalensc posted:

I don't know why but I had sorta assumed that "piece of paper with handwritten info on it" was an exaggeration of how lax the standards were for proving covid vax status.

How the gently caress has it progressed this far without someone in government or journalism or even Stephen A. Smith going on a public rant about the guaranteed clusterfuck combination of:

neoliberalist culture and thought has paralyzed everyone and they are constitutionally incapable of imagining doing anything better than we are right now, let alone actually executing it and following through on what needs to be done

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

neoliberalist culture and thought has paralyzed everyone and they are constitutionally incapable of imagining doing anything better than we are right now, let alone actually executing it and following through on what needs to be done

yeah it's pretty hilarious how 2nd rate everything is compared to Comrade Xi / China.

In China they had things like apps which people had to produce at checkpoints to prove they were following area quarantine requirements

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

all along the real chabuduo was America

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Got an email from the head of US operations at my job saying that employees in my state (WA) with any kind of state department of health license is required to be fully vaccinated by October 18th or be terminated (or have a valid exemption). While I do have a license, it's not required for my position. That being said, I got vaccinated way back in March and was like first in line to submit my proof of vaccination after this email came out.

A supervisor at work who is dumb as poo poo and is bad at her job keeps talking about how she's going to get a medical exemption, but I highly doubt anyone will give her one, and I'll be glad when she's gone. The manager and I are already happy we'll be able to terminate her without going through the regular hassle of documenting months of gently caress ups and improvement plans.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

BAE OF PIGS posted:

A supervisor at work who is dumb as poo poo and is bad at her job keeps talking about how she's going to get a medical exemption, but I highly doubt anyone will give her one, and I'll be glad when she's gone. The manager and I are already happy we'll be able to terminate her without going through the regular hassle of documenting months of gently caress ups and improvement plans.

WOW sounds like you're a CLASS TRAITOR...

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

My girlfriend and I have been talking about this a lot lately. "Are we crazy? It seems like nobody in public is taking any of this poo poo even the slightest bit seriously"

Drove through Newburyport MA yesterday and sidewalks were full of maskless people, restaurants were packed, stopped at a red light and could see in a hair salon full of people getting hair done, not a mask in sight. Rich people all seem to feel invulnerable to this poo poo, maybe as a consequence of never actually having consequences for anything they've ever done.

I'm glad other people are feeling (and I hate using this word) gaslit by everyone else's behavior.

I have seen a few respirators in the wild though, so there is that.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

kalensc posted:

It's about states' rights to kill large swathes of their populatuons and also all surrounding states

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

fosborb posted:

sending this to my fellow parents of small children telling them this means they need to cancel their LD vacation plans and ruining their day (until they rationalize this doesn't apply to them and go any way)

Children aren't people lol how do you not get this yet

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BIG HORNY COW posted:

My girlfriend and I have been talking about this a lot lately. "Are we crazy? It seems like nobody in public is taking any of this poo poo even the slightest bit seriously"

Drove through Newburyport MA yesterday and sidewalks were full of maskless people, restaurants were packed, stopped at a red light and could see in a hair salon full of people getting hair done, not a mask in sight. Rich people all seem to feel invulnerable to this poo poo, maybe as a consequence of never actually having consequences for anything they've ever done.

I'm glad other people are feeling (and I hate using this word) gaslit by everyone else's behavior.

I have seen a few respirators in the wild though, so there is that.

most of it is due to how lamestream media is encouraging such a mindset to keep number going up.

Combine the above with the dumb uniquely American "Endless optimism" mindset

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

lmao

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

etalian posted:

most of it is due to how lamestream media is encouraging such a mindset to keep number going up.

Watching local news there was barely a mention of corona, but endless Afghanistan coverage. The one time they did mention corona was at the end of a story about the family of one of the dead troops in Afghanistan, who are getting evicted due to the end of the moratorium and have been out of workd since the beginning of covid

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Crazyweasel posted:

Seems good

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol wtf I got blocked by Zeynep Tufekci

Me too LOL

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

etalian posted:

I love how the news will squeeze a small story about COVID in, followed by all the concerts and events this week, as if the two things are unrelated

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lol @ test scores regardless

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

I love how the news will squeeze a small story about COVID in, followed by all the concerts and events this week, as if the two things are unrelated

Right now, as we speak, NPR is doing an hour long retrospective on how Jim Morrison died fifty years ago.

beyond parody.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
gently caress PAX and the people associated with it. Their enforcers are all sex pests, pervs, and weirdos.

gently caress anyone who attends that super spreader event, they can rot like sturgis. Protect your own.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
The LAUSD school site council meetings have all been very c-spam. Parents all seem to care about their kids a lot, granted this is a school you have to apply for and that self-selects for involved parents.

Also depressing, there are so many of us - we even have allies in the institutions, and we... just don't matter at all because we're not owner class enough to have a car dealership, subway franchise, or hire some actors to astroturf a school board meeting.

It's like the oil rigs off the coast here, we don't want them, they gently caress up our beaches, our tourist economy, our lives and ultimately pump toxic poo poo into the air that slowly kills us - but gently caress us, oil and gas owns a lot of senators.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Crazyweasel posted:

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1431739898873139210

well, let's see:

* the 0 to 15 year age cohort in the US was 18.7% of the US population as of 2019

* that comes out to 62.317 million people

* if we only take 80% of that, to narrow the range to 0 to 12 years (bad napkin math, I know), we get 49.85 million people

* if we take 75% of that, we get 37.39 million infected people

* with a rough estimate of 1 in 12 people getting long COVID, that's 3.11 million people with long COVID

* and with a CFR of 1.70%, that's 635,630 dead

revising these estimates, if 1 in 7 kids who catch COVID go on to have long COVID, that means 5.34 million long-COVID sufferers according to the CDC's estimates on how many kids will get infected

just among that age cohort

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Chamale posted:

Respirator crew art on a Navajo reservation.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Stevie Lee posted:

gotta get these kids on an ivermectin regimen

Business idea: cotton candy flavored “horse” paste

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Crazyweasel posted:

Totally believe the commentary about the FDA being process-focused and not taking into account the current situation. The current EUA process makes no sense when every unvaccinated kid is likely going to get covid over the next few month and some fraction incur this kind of long term disease burden. The question shouldn't be whether the vaccines are safe, but whether they're safer then getting COVID unprotected and the answer had to be yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

so all young children? lmao