Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
The twist will definitely be that the dragon queen caused the cataclysm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

I also am not a big fan of this one. But I read about a guy who starved to death and was reborn as an ant. Also an axe guy who kills people who is also a zombie.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
TUTBAD Ch 12: So now we know what "symmetricalization" means. Interesting. Feels slightly creepy to me, but interesting.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Mulozon Empuri posted:

I also am not a big fan of this one. But I read about a guy who starved to death and was reborn as an ant. Also an axe guy who kills people who is also a zombie.

Axe guy is my low-brow Saturday morning cartoon favourite. No complicated relationship messes, no boring ptsd sessions, no grimdark psychopath protagonists, just a dude with his axe. It sparks joy.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Except it’s gone way off the deep end into weird Dao leveling OT6 stuff. I can’t imagine the kind of person who’s super into a fictional character getting more badass because he pops a pill to burst a magenta level thetan crystal in his Dao-self and has 30,000 words devoted to the accompanying vision quest, after which his number goes up 3.75%. I get that this is trashy stuff, but there’s trashy with a readable narrative or trashy with a million stat pages in lieu of any story or character development.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Ytlaya posted:

Somewhat similarly, it doesn't seem to make sense to me that the protagonist is supposed to be "literally sadder than (as far as we know) anyone else in the world." He's dealt with terrible stuff, but nothing on the level of "having family members killed" or "being directly exposed to (or participating in) war crimes." Being (potentially permanently) cut off from your family/friends is awful, but it's kind of objectively better than "having your family/friends killed (often in front of your eyes)." The war of the Scouring would have created countless people with significantly worse circumstances than Rob.

This was definitely a point of friction for me. Kinda like the big reveal about the moment of Ultimate Despair in Dangan Ronpa being some rich kids got killed by psychos in a first world country. Like, come on, you don't even need to look at the history of colonialism, there's plenty worse things going on right now. If Rob's white boy problems are the most depressing stuff to have ever happened in the history of fantasyland, what happens when a middle eastern child soldier gets yanked in? If he's a 4 or 5 on trauma, there's plenty of people who'd probably hit double digits no problem at all.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Fast. Leveling.
Do you guys even read the story?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
yeah rob's entire experience with leveling shows that not only do his abilities improve at a incredible rate, he gets to outright cheat in terms of ignoring prerequisites

e: also when it comes to traumatic experiences, the "objective" amount of suffering you undergo has, at best, a tenuous connection to the amount of trauma you are subjected to

e2: we also know for a fact that the system has it out for rob and his friends, and it easily could be giving rob such high melancholy resistance to gently caress with him personally

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 4, 2021

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Melancholy resistance basically turns you into a sociopath who literally cannot hear their own inner monologue, so it doesn't surprise me that the Og humans of the setting basically went off

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Yup, Fast Learner quickens the rate at which Melancholy Resistance increases. MR is a Skill, after all. If I didn't make that clear enough, I'll fix it for the eventual published release.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's not really possible to put personal suffering into comparable context, which is an interesting dichotomy in a genre whose foundational world is based in concrete tangible numbers. Suffering is intensely individualistic and it isn't a measurable or comparable event, so others having it worse in the past does not invalidate or lessen Rob's suffering.

e: trauma bonding is definitely a thing though, and I think there's a lot of exploratory meat on the particular idea that they all became a group largely through hardship rather than shared values, once things settle down a little (if they ever do).

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 4, 2021

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Bhodi posted:

It's not really possible to put personal suffering into comparable context, which is an interesting dichotomy in a genre whose foundational world is based in concrete tangible numbers. Suffering is intensely individualistic and it isn't a measurable or comparable event, so others having it worse in the past does not invalidate or lessen Rob's suffering.

e: trauma bonding is definitely a thing though, and I think there's a lot of exploratory meat on the particular idea that they all became a group largely through hardship rather than shared values, once things settle down a little (if they ever do).
Both those points are pretty solid. People's brains are generally pretty adaptable to whatever circumstances they grew up in as far as setting out whatever the rules for "normal" are. The degree of trauma someone is wrestling with doesn't necessarily correspond with their external circumstances. Rob might be better off than a lot of people, but that doesn't mean we should trivialize what he's dealing with, it still has a big impact on him.

That said, I still get the feeling that isekai-ing someone out of an ICE detention center would give you solid odds of beating Rob's spot on the global depression high score ladder. Abuse of immigrants is still a massive problem, and it can be a little frustrating seeing how easy it is for a lot of media to erase stuff like that. Would be nice if media made our modern social problems harder to ignore.

Hmm... on the other hand, if I spend too long trying to point out who has it worst, I'm basically just a SMBC comic. And asking someone to write a character who comes from a radically different real-life social context also presents a ton of challenges. You'd have to do a ton of research to avoid offending someone with your depiction, I expect.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sorry you know the rules, each chapter now has to start with how Rob's life is better than Darfur orphans.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Cicero posted:

TUTBAD Ch 12: So now we know what "symmetricalization" means. Interesting. Feels slightly creepy to me, but interesting.

I'm not caught up but there's weird references to symmetry in early chapters too like Alfric noting the two clerics are not symmetrical and that a person's guts don't have much symmetry.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

TUTBAD Ch 13: I really liked seeing Isra's viewpoint, Wales does a good job showing different perspectives. Was funny in this case to see her thinking, weird that these city slickers ignore all the animals around us for some cultural reason.

I could see hilarity in the future when she meets some hippie vegetarian druids: "'Course I love animals. They're tasty!"

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

TUTBAD 13: Neat to learn that Isra might be a feral druid. I'm enjoying the characters being fleshed out, so many murderhobo delving books don't really explain character motivations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI 8.41: lmao ryoka's loving loaded

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
TWI 8.41 Fae stuff is consistently :discourse: and I was happy to see the court again

Also, chapter should have been titled Batman Returns

edit: Technically Ryoka only delivered a message across one world because she was on Innworld when Sikeri loaded her up and her jaunt into the fae lands was an unrelated venture, but I guess she's working by taxi rules and charging for distance traveled, loving Sikeri over with magical roaming charges :v:

Argue fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 5, 2021

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
TWI 8.41 I found the ending a little hard to follow - did Oberon destroy the gate she was at and give her the remnants, or was his gift just of so much power that the gate was destroyed? If those stones are the metaphysical remains of that gateway, I bet they could be used to supercharge a certain magical doorway somewhere

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I think it was separate. He fronted the payment that Sikeri owed, tossed it through the gate, and then destroyed the gate as he did so. But the potential significance of Ryoka being paid in obols is not lost on me, especially since it was described as "the cost of delivering a message between two worlds".

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
So the author of Warlock's Gate just quit RR because the story wasn't earning enough, and because of the criticisms/negativity the story was facing.

I'm a bit surprised, honestly. The story is still relatively new, but was growing. Though the author only has so much time and has other works they'd rather focus on. Fair enough.

That said, the author said the audience "smothered my enjoyment of writing this story" and the "constant negativity, nitpicking, and anonymous low rating have been non-stop" but it seems that the story was doing well with fans, at least those in the comment were polite and positive, and reviews were really good.

It's their choice, and I guess there were things going on behind the scenes. Still, calling it quits after 27 chapters seems a bit premature.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

People who get things for free seem to be meaner, as a general rule, than people who pay for things. I imagine you need a really thick skin to write web serials.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

While I am sympathetic to the difficulties of trying to create art while engaging with and getting feedback from the audience as you're doing it, sometimes if a lot of people don't like something it might be bad.

quote:

This is a rough draft, and while I appreciate feedback, I’m not rewriting the entire system because people can’t handle how my percentages or health work.

quote:

Fallon wondered—not for the first time—what Asmodeus’s world, the realm of Dementher’s called Ancienter, looked like. The Warlock quickly shook her head and refocused on the task at hand as golden-red sparks danced around her right hand and fingers. “Cursed Body!”

-----
Warlock Active Skill—Cursed Body (Tier I)
Inflicts a curse that will temporarily paralyze and restrict all movement on selected targets. Length of paralysis is determined by the difference in level and rank between the Warlock and their target.
Note: Targets one rank above the Warlock have a 50% chance to ignore the effect of Cursed Body. Targets more than two ranks above the Warlock will not be affected.
-----

The Gromulus closest to Fallon twitched as it came to an abrupt halt while its companions burrowed forward stubbornly, still focused on the Warlock. A quick repetition of the skill soon locked all three in place.

“And you even lined up nicely for me,” Fallon observed with a wry smile before casting her second combat skill, “Warlock’s Wrath.”

-----
Warlock Active Skill—Warlock’s Wrath (Tier I)
A Short Charge Skill that inflicts 8% Hex damage (x4) to the target and applies [Devastation]. Damage is further increased by 2% for every beneficial status skill active on the target.
-----

-----
Status Effect—Devestation
Reduces all Physical Defenses by 6% for 3 minutes.
-----

Gromulus has received 28 damage from [Warlock's Wrath].

[Warlock’s Wrath] has inflicted [Devastation] to Gromulus.

Gromulus has received 38 damage from [Warlock's Wrath].

Gromulus has received 41 damage from [Warlock's Wrath].

Fallon blinked as a stream of combat information played out behind her eyes that left a distracting buzzing sound in her ears. Unlike information obtained through [Infernal Gaze], combat data naturally populated itself. These somewhat intrusive messages were mentally conveyed to those with Classes obtained from a Gate Nucleus.

This is flawless writing and any criticism of it is nitpicky negativity that smothers my enjoyment of writing the story. The fault is on you if you can't understand percentages.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

why does item go from 28 to 38 to 41?

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
The Gromulus? It's receiving damage and the "devastation" is stacking, so each time it receives a bit more damage (I think). Either that or it just does a range of damage depends on what she rolls.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I don't like the numbers parts of WG, but I don't like the numbers parts of any LitRPG. Not certain how this is any more offensive is typical for the genre, but hey-ho. :toot:

The PoVs comment I understand, even if I don't really agree, because Vera's been cutting back and forth between like half a dozen different plotlines and if you get invested in any one of them you're going to get frustrated waiting for the story to come back to it.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Obviously they shouldn't keep writing if they aren't having fun and aren't making enough money to care, but being disappointed about making $231/month after 6 weeks suggests they had some pretty unrealistic expectations. I wonder if they hit their first start of the month falloff and panicked.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Plorkyeran posted:

Obviously they shouldn't keep writing if they aren't having fun and aren't making enough money to care, but being disappointed about making $231/month after 6 weeks suggests they had some pretty unrealistic expectations. I wonder if they hit their first start of the month falloff and panicked.

I can't begrudge anyone for wanting to bail on an environment that feels hostile to them, but also I would poo poo my pants on camera if it meant an additional $231/month

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I can't begrudge anyone for wanting to bail on an environment that feels hostile to them, but also I would poo poo my pants on camera if it meant an additional $231/month

Ignoring the hostility bits as I don't know enough about that situation to comment, let's quickly break down the money the author was getting for writing the story.

$231 a month, even assuming it's not the author's only source of income, is extremely cost-ineffective if you're aiming to make writing a career. Looking at the story, it was up for about 50 days and published around 83,000 words. That's 1660 words a day. A good writing pace for an author is about 1000 words an hour, although it's not guaranteed that everyone can meet that pace. Assuming they were able to, then the author of Warlock's Gate spent 1 hour and 40 minutes a day writing the story. Working 1 hour and 40 minutes a day for 50 days on the USA's minimum wage ($7.25) is equal to $603.93.

Essentially, the author of Warlock's Gate was 'working' for less than half the national minimum wage when writing the story. This would put them significantly below the poverty line. If writing is just your hobby, then you can consider that money a bonus, but if you're actually trying to make a career off of it, that's not an acceptable outcome. Personally, I consider myself *extremely* fortunate with how well my Patreon has done, and I completely understand people who don't think it's financially feasible to continue their stories anymore. Economy's rough, yo.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

KamikazePotato posted:

Ignoring the hostility bits as I don't know enough about that situation to comment, let's quickly break down the money the author was getting for writing the story.

$231 a month, even assuming it's not the author's only source of income, is extremely cost-ineffective if you're aiming to make writing a career. Looking at the story, it was up for about 50 days and published around 83,000 words. That's 1660 words a day. A good writing pace for an author is about 1000 words an hour, although it's not guaranteed that everyone can meet that pace. Assuming they were able to, then the author of Warlock's Gate spent 1 hour and 40 minutes a day writing the story. Working 1 hour and 40 minutes a day for 50 days on the USA's minimum wage ($7.25) is equal to $603.93.

Essentially, the author of Warlock's Gate was 'working' for less than half the national minimum wage when writing the story. This would put them significantly below the poverty line. If writing is just your hobby, then you can consider that money a bonus, but if you're actually trying to make a career off of it, that's not an acceptable outcome. Personally, I consider myself *extremely* fortunate with how well my Patreon has done, and I completely understand people who don't think it's financially feasible to continue their stories anymore. Economy's rough, yo.

You don't start off making the big money all at once, though--I make way more than that now, but it took me longer than six weeks to start making $230 a month. Way longer.

Like, I bailed on Royal Road specifically after maybe a month+, but that's because RR added literally nothing to my already established Patreon during that period.

edit: to be clear, I don't blame them, but like someone else said those expectations seem... unrealistic. I waited yeeeaaars for the opportunity to start making a career out of my dumb poo poo, I wouldn't suggest anyone gamble on getting up to minimum wage in that tight of a time frame

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 10, 2021

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
then again, looking purely at patreons and taking into consideration how much time I spend drawing, researching and advertising, I can almost guarantee I'm somewhere below minimum wage after like four years of it

so gently caress whatever I said, I'm a god drat moron

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The median wage for people who have writing independent online fiction as their primary source of income is probably below minimum wage, and I would guess that basically all of the people now making good money still took at least a few months to get over minimum wage. I mostly just find it weird to mention the money aspect at all because I would have expected anyone who was trying to make money off writing to know going in that it'll take a while to get going and that early on you're just hoping for an upward trajectory (which they had).

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

It is easy to look at somebody like Pirateaba (4400 subscribers, most of which are probably at the $5/month or better tier - meaning 22k/month or more) and not realize that they're standouts.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Eh I kinda feel like for Royalroad specifically, if you don't hit the mega popular status after your pass out of the trending list you're kinda hosed. It's really hard to find traction after that point.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Lol @ the HWFWM chapter today (514). This story has WAY too many complicated spell/item effects, Jesus Christ.

quote:

Item: [Hegemon’s Will] (silver rank [growth], legendary)

A precious gift, imbued with the soul of its owner and reforged with a renewed sense of purpose. The aid of a grandmaster craftsman in the reforging process has produced a flawless result (weapon, sword).

This item is bound to [Jason Asano] and cannot be used by anyone else. This bond allows the weapon to share the wielder’s ability to ignore rank disparity.

Effect: You may invoke all effects of a conjured weapon into this blade for the normal mana cost of conjuring the weapon. Only one weapon’s effects may be invoked at a time.
Effect: While invoking a conjured weapon, you may inflict additional damage for an ongoing mana cost. Damage type is based on the invoked weapon and mana cost is based on the nature of the damage. Amount of damage is based on aura strength of the wielder. Damage is increased to the degree to which the enemy attacked has their aura suppressed and decreased by the degree to which the wielder has their aura suppressed.

Available Invocation: [Ruin, the Blade of Tribulation].
Ongoing Mana Cost: Low.
Damage type: Corrosive. Inflicts [Corrosion].
Available Invocation: [Penitent, the Blade of Sacrifice].
Ongoing Mana Cost: Moderate.
Damage type: Disruptive-Force.

Effect: The wielder may cleanse all holy afflictions inflicted by the abilities and soul-bound items of the wielder from an enemy touched by [Hegemon’s Will]. For each affliction cleansed, the enemy suffers an instance of [Hegemon’s Mercy] and the wielder gains an instance of [Benevolent Hegemon].
Effect (Regalia of the Hegemon): Enemies struck with this weapon are subjected to a mild mana drain effect and are inflicted with [Hegemon’s Tribute] and the wielder gains an instance of [Benevolent Hegemon].

[Corrosion] (affliction, damage-over-time, elemental, stacking): Inflicts corrosive damage, which has increased effectiveness against inorganic substances. Additional instances have increased effect.
[Hegemon’s Mercy] (affliction, holy, stacking): The victim of this effect is subjected to a powerful suppressive force affecting all magical abilities. This affects essence abilities, innate abilities and item abilities. Abilities derived from external transcendent sources are affected more strongly. This affliction drops off rapidly when not within the area of the wielder of [Hegemon’s Will]’s aura. Additional instances have increased effect.
[Benevolent Hegemon] (boon, holy, stacking): The effect strength of allied auras overlapping your aura is increased. This does not affect suppressive strength or resistance to aura suppression. Additional instances have increased effect.
[Hegemon’s Tribute] (affliction, magic): Anyone affected by [Hegemon’s Tribute] is subject to a mild, ongoing mana drain effect by the wielder of [Hegemon’s Will] so long as they remain within the wielder’s aura. If this affliction is cleansed or the subject dies, a final burst of mana is drained.

This is literally just one item what the gently caress

asur
Dec 28, 2012
The RPG portion of HWFWM has always been garbage and that item is just the latest example.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I feel like the combat sections would read way, waayyy better if each person just had a handful of signature abilities, like Cradle.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Yu-gi-oh cards are clearly the best thing to model your magic system on.

Whaleporn
May 6, 2007

This is me on my bike pretty cool huh?

Cicero posted:

Lol @ the HWFWM chapter today (514). This story has WAY too many complicated spell/item effects, Jesus Christ.

This is literally just one item what the gently caress

I think from skimming the 2000 words his set up now lets him slide afflictions off him and onto his sword then back onto his enemies. He also picked up another defensive ability, turning into mist?

It's not as bad as trying to parse Delve's soul stuff recently but yeah, the fights with monster crew all have 16 abilities and each time they rank up it effectively doubles.

Cicero posted:

I feel like the combat sections would read way, waayyy better if each person just had a handful of signature abilities, like Cradle.

Cradle is a very high standard for web fiction. There's a handful of characters with a lot of powers, like the MC, but most of them have 1-2 items that form the core of their fighting technique. The writing gives enough details that you know there's something logical going on under the hood but keeps most of the post learning uses of skills to an elevator pitch. In the actual fights or missions the author does a really good job of letting you understand what the PoV character's situation is, and what they think is happening in a fight, and what tools they have to do XYZ. The interesting part of lit rpgs, for me, is exploring a system and what that means for the people who live in it. If it's just numbers go up, or adding endless new skills on, the story becomes a treadmill.

Whaleporn fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Sampatrick posted:

Eh I kinda feel like for Royalroad specifically, if you don't hit the mega popular status after your pass out of the trending list you're kinda hosed. It's really hard to find traction after that point.

It's doable. Gotta plug away at it, build momentum, advertise, and have a good story.

I got screwed hard by the trending change - right as I was finally about to break onto the front page of trending, the algorithm changed and kicked me off forever. Still, I kept at it, and have managed to hit the front page of Popular This Week multiple times now, along with being arguably the 4th largest RR novel by the most important metric (Patreon subs)