Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Organza Quiz posted:

Thanks, that's right I just keep remembering it as an old-lady-sounding-plant but can never remember which one. What does that translate to in a practical sense for a plant newbie? I have some succulent potting mix, should I put it in that or is that too much drainage? Is there a particular sort of pot I should put it in?

"Drainage" is sort of a misnomer for houseplants; at the scale of a plant pot there's no practical difference in how fast water is going to drain through soil vs gravel or anything in between once it's saturated. What we're really talking about is how much water the growth medium retains, both in the sense of how much water it can absorb/hold in the first place and how long it takes to dry out.

As far as medium goes for Begonias the recommendation seems to be to go for something soil-less like peat-moss with perlite mixed into but I would guess bark fines + perlite etc would work just as well.

The pot is also part of the equation. Terracotta will absorb water from whatever is inside it which increases the surface area over which that water can evaporate whereas water can't pass through plastic or ceramic.

Outside of plants that want to grow in bogs and poo poo like that plant pots without drainage holes are a great way to kill your plants, so you'll want something with one or more holes in the bottom and a saucer. Water that hangs around in the saucer creates a reservoir that will get drawn up into the medium and keep it wet for much longer, which means you either need to dump it after watering or, more practically, you need the saucer to be appropriately sized so that water doesn't hang around in there. People like the way saucers that are barely bigger than the bottom of the pot look but that doesn't allow any exposed surface area for the water to evaporate in a reasonable amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Wallet posted:

What zone are you in? Some varieties apparently don't handle heat well at all, even if they're being watered.

It's 10a, I'm in the SF bay area (east bay). This particular shrub actually sits in full shade too. I think it caught some funky disease personally...

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 13, 2021

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
Trip report, the oak seedling transplant went great!!! Two weeks later, 2 out of 3 survivors :)

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I was gifted three plants as a house warming gift and I don't know anything about them.

One is a cactus (idk what kind)
One is a monstera
And one is calidum?

I'd like to keep them alive. Currently the cactus and monstera have been outside. The monstera in indirect sun for most of the day, though I move it to get a little more sun for a few hours. And the cactus is in a pretty sunny spot. The calidum is outside on a north facing window, but I bring it outside during the day to get some indirect sun.

Do I have to repot them? How do I repot them? The calidum has something that looks like mold at the bottom of the pot, it came with this. I live in zone 6b, so I probably have to put them inside pretty soon.

Sorry if this is frantic, I've always wanted plants but I've been afraid to kill them and here I have some plants and I'm worried they will die.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

gay for gacha posted:

I was gifted three plants as a house warming gift and I don't know anything about them.

One is a cactus (idk what kind)
One is a monstera
And one is calidum?

I'd like to keep them alive. Currently the cactus and monstera have been outside. The monstera in indirect sun for most of the day, though I move it to get a little more sun for a few hours. And the cactus is in a pretty sunny spot. The calidum is outside on a north facing window, but I bring it outside during the day to get some indirect sun.

Do I have to repot them? How do I repot them? The calidum has something that looks like mold at the bottom of the pot, it came with this. I live in zone 6b, so I probably have to put them inside pretty soon.

Sorry if this is frantic, I've always wanted plants but I've been afraid to kill them and here I have some plants and I'm worried they will die.

I got you fam.

Cereus peruvianus is the cactus. The other thing is a caladium. You can just search up the plant names and find decent care guides. I have kept caladium; it's a tuber so if it drops its leaves it's not dead - it does like being moist, generally, and doesn't need a ton of direct sunlight. The cactus wants to get as much light as you can give it - water every 2 weeks or so; erring on the side of less water is best with cacti. I don't know much about monsteras.

I would repot all of these; the two tropical plants look very oversize for their pots especially.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

pokie posted:

I got you fam.

Cereus peruvianus is the cactus. The other thing is a caladium. You can just search up the plant names and find decent care guides. I have kept caladium; it's a tuber so if it drops its leaves it's not dead - it does like being moist, generally, and doesn't need a ton of direct sunlight. The cactus wants to get as much light as you can give it - water every 2 weeks or so; erring on the side of less water is best with cacti. I don't know much about monsteras.

I would repot all of these; the two tropical plants look very oversize for their pots especially.

Can I repot now?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

gay for gacha posted:

Can I repot now?

You can repot things basically whenever you want, just don't brutalize their roots. Especially if the cactus is going to be inside I'd recommend a gritty mix (scroll down past the links) for it.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Yeah you can repot. I think for plants with a clear dormant period, it's not a good idea to repot during it. So Caladium may not enjoy a winter repotting, but it's sturdy enough for it. And it's not winter yet in either hemisphere. You might have to cut roots on plants when repotting if they are extremely rootbound though.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ya'll still horticulturating? Thread has been real quiet.

It's getting to be bulb season. This year I ended up ordering from a wholesaler I've never used before since the per-bulb cost was so much better for the stuff I wanted. That did mean to hit the minimum order I had to order >300 bulbs so I'm going to be forcing some on family members I guess.

No one around here ever stocks Fritillaria but I like them so I've got 100 meleagris coming (photos not mine) and 50 michailovskyi and a few of the bigger ones.

Also 25 of these cute white Alliums because I can never get enough stinky bulbs and I couldn't resist throwing in 100 of these sweet blue Muscari.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Wallet posted:

It's getting to be bulb season. This year I ended up ordering from a wholesaler I've never used before since the per-bulb cost was so much better for the stuff I wanted. That did mean to hit the minimum order I had to order >300 bulbs so I'm going to be forcing some on family members I guess.

No one around here ever stocks Fritillaria but I like them so I've got 100 meleagris coming (photos not mine) and 50 michailovskyi and a few of the bigger ones.

Also 25 of these cute white Alliums because I can never get enough stinky bulbs and I couldn't resist throwing in 100 of these sweet blue Muscari.

Do these plants only bloom once a year?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Wallet posted:

Those alliums look surprisingly close to the flowers I'd get on my wall full of Chinese garlic chives (Allium tuberosum). The bees absolutely love them and they have big white flowers for about a month if you don't cut them back. They do travel vigorously like regular chives and also bunching onions. So even if you think you've managed it they'll end up 30' away and you must make certain you pull out the whole root system. They smell and taste amazing, so I hope the ones you got are manageable and smell awesome too. I keep debating, but I'm not sure I have anywhere I can put them. I'd put them on the alley side of my garage, but there's a lot of dogs that get walked there.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So I won a bunch of houseplants at a church festival, and while I've been able to figure out what most of them are there's still a few mysteries

No idea whatsoever:

The sticker on the pot says begonia but I'm unconvinced:

These two on the end, some kind of Pothos?

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Top picture is Tradescantia zebrina, middle is a kalanchoe

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

gay for gacha posted:

Yeah, they're spring flowering bulbs that are mostly ephemeral or semi-ephemeral (e.g. they come up, flower, hang onto their foliage until they've got enough energy for next year, and then go back to sleep). Usually you plant spring bulbs in fall (because you can't plant them in winter) and summer bulbs in spring.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Schmeichy posted:

Top picture is Tradescantia zebrina, middle is a kalanchoe

Thank you!

I'm starting to wonder if plant #3 is a philodendron of some kind except the leaves aren't heart shaped

edit: Jesus every single thing I brought home so far is unsafe for cats.

edit edit: I'm getting more and more sure that kalanchoe is actually a heimalis begonia.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 20, 2021

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

This is the whole haul, there's christmas cactus hiding behind the kalanchoe as well. I was thinking I could plant the succulents together (aloe, tiny cactus, maybe the kalanchoe?), try and get the little flowers (geranium and crysanthamum(?)) in with something else, but I'm not sure what. Maybe its best to keep everything separate? I'm 90% sure that not a single thing on that window sill is cat friendly (spider plants I think are fine so long as they don't eat a ton, but it made it 5 min in the living room before both cats were going after it so I'm keeping them away from it for now at least).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

We just this summer moved into a new house that is feet above a state park. Along with the pretty view, this brings hungry deer. Until I have a serious deer fence put in, I'm restricting what I order in the fall.
So, from Old House Gardens:
5 English bluebells (hyacinthoides non-scripta)
10 scilla siberica
3 species freesia (freesia alba)
5 Atkinsii snowdrops (galanthus x)

Those are going to pool around the base of a tree. Maybe I'll let myself order a bench-graft apple tree, for spring delivery, from Greenmantle Nursery; I dearly loved my last bench-grafts, but I'm 63 and might not see them come to flower. If I do, it'll be Rubaiyat. http://www.greenmantlenursery.com/fruit/rosetta-apples.htm I also covet some garlic from https://www.garlicana.com/garlic-varieties/ , but I haven't been able to decide which variety yet.

e: Wallet, how are you managing to force images into a grid layout?

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 20, 2021

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

So I got more plants. Z plant, a monstera, a trichocereus bridgesii pup sulfured and scabbing over before rooting gifted from a nice man I met who was unaware what the previous owner had planted. Finally, some lophophora williamsii seeds sown in what I hope is the appropriate medium (sifted low-nitrogen soil, sterilized sand, perlite, pebbles). It looks like there's more water in there than there really is but it may be too much.

:catdrugs:

:catdrugs:

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Guildenstern Mother posted:

This is the whole haul, there's christmas cactus hiding behind the kalanchoe as well. I was thinking I could plant the succulents together (aloe, tiny cactus, maybe the kalanchoe?), try and get the little flowers (geranium and crysanthamum(?)) in with something else, but I'm not sure what. Maybe its best to keep everything separate? I'm 90% sure that not a single thing on that window sill is cat friendly (spider plants I think are fine so long as they don't eat a ton, but it made it 5 min in the living room before both cats were going after it so I'm keeping them away from it for now at least).

If the plants are new, I would leave them in their current pots and separate for now as long as the roots are healthy. Spider plants make cats trip, but they're fine. You can consider hanging plants out of cat's reach if you want to move them elsewhere in your place

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

gay for gacha posted:

It's pretty common to most 'true' bulbs. They almost all have a pretty long dormant season (longer than their active season) and so they have a big ole bulb to store all their energy in from year to year. Spring ephemerals like daphodils are the classic example-they flower, grow, and die back mostly before trees even leaf out in spring so they can grow in shady woodland floor conditions and still get plenty of light. The spider lilies/Lycoris around here do the same thing but in reverse becasue they are from a climate with a mild winter, but still enough of a winter that deciduous trees drop their leaves in the fall. They're coming up now and the leaves will hang around until March or so.

There are a ton of bulbs from different climates that let you have stuff like that all year. Depending on climate, most bulbs come back for at least a few years, and some of them are tough as poo poo and come back for hundreds of years, either by making new bulbs or seeding themselves in. It's a bit of a time/cash investment up front, but bulbs pay real good dividends and they're some of my favorite plants.

Jhet posted:

Those alliums look surprisingly close to the flowers I'd get on my wall full of Chinese garlic chives (Allium tuberosum). The bees absolutely love them and they have big white flowers for about a month if you don't cut them back. They do travel vigorously like regular chives and also bunching onions. So even if you think you've managed it they'll end up 30' away and you must make certain you pull out the whole root system. They smell and taste amazing, so I hope the ones you got are manageable and smell awesome too. I keep debating, but I'm not sure I have anywhere I can put them. I'd put them on the alley side of my garage, but there's a lot of dogs that get walked there.

I have the exact same problem with garlic chives. They're as bad or worse than mint at filling whatever space they are put in. I want some, but not an entire bed of them. I have some I stuck in a plastic pot like a 5 years ago that seem reasonably contained and that's about all I really need.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We just this summer moved into a new house that is feet above a state park. Along with the pretty view, this brings hungry deer. Until I have a serious deer fence put in, I'm restricting what I order in the fall.

It's a shame the Freesia can't handle the winters here :( I'm into the fancy Galanthus as well. We have a ton of nivalis that grow wild around here and they show up in the weirdest places in the yard to flower before anything else has woken up. I gathered a bunch of them into some big clumps after they went to sleep this year so I'm looking forward to seeing them in the spring.

Also forgot I got some of these scilla bifolia as well:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

e: Wallet, how are you managing to force images into a grid layout?
Just can't be on the same line as text, I think?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It's pretty common to most 'true' bulbs. They almost all have a pretty long dormant season (longer than their active season) and so they have a big ole bulb to store all their energy in from year to year. Spring ephemerals like daphodils are the classic example-they flower, grow, and die back mostly before trees even leaf out in spring so they can grow in shady woodland floor conditions and still get plenty of light.
Ephemerals can be kind of weird. I have daffodils that made it all the way to summer and others that went back to sleep right after blooming. I've got a Trillium erectum in the back that still has leaves on it somehow. Fancy bulb people do a lot of layering since bulbs usually want to be planted at different depths so you can stack them so there's always something coming up when something else is going to sleep, but I'm not a big fan of most of the summer bulbs that want to grow here (except lilies, I guess, but I don't really think of them as bulbs).

Flowering once should be enough, shouldn't it? I haven't had a lot of luck with the varieties of remontant shrubs I've planted—most them don't seem to grow that well for me.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have the exact same problem with garlic chives. They're as bad or worse than mint at filling whatever space they are put in. I want some, but not an entire bed of them. I have some I stuck in a plastic pot like a 5 years ago that seem reasonably contained and that's about all I really need.
I haven't found any of my alliums to be terribly aggressive but all of them are ornamentals. My kiiense are about to bloom and they might be my favorite, tiny as they are.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 21, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wow, I love those scilla bifolia. Where did you order them from? I know the minimum order will be too big for me, but I love catalog browsing.

I'm worried that with the deliberate destruction of the US Postal Service, ordering anything other than bulbs, seeds, and bare-root plants will become impractical. I would hate that. I love Annie's Annuals (http://www.anniesannuals.com) who, contrary to the name, sell just about any kind of outdoor plant that will fit in a shipping pot. I want to put one of these Nicotiana sylvestris in in the spring.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

[

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Wow, I love those scilla bifolia. Where did you order them from? I know the minimum order will be too big for me, but I love catalog browsing.

Van Engelen (https://www.vanengelen.com/).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Oh, yeah. Love them. Not enough hours in the day to plant them!

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I have successfully carried live plants in soil back to Canada with me from the US again. Why did I buy a honkin big Stenocereus pruinosus? I was seduced by the stuff grown in good heat and light again. I guess this is going to have to live under my grow light forever?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Schmeichy posted:

If the plants are new, I would leave them in their current pots and separate for now as long as the roots are healthy. Spider plants make cats trip, but they're fine. You can consider hanging plants out of cat's reach if you want to move them elsewhere in your place
Thanks, that's probably what I'm going to end up doing and then see how they are after a few weeks and then hopefully repot them into something slightly more attractive. I'm going to assume that the pots they're in are roughly the correct size. Fortunately none of them seem super sun hungry, which is good because my only windows are east facing.

quote:

out of cat's reach
lol
lmao

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Colorblends is a great place for bulk bulbs and fun mixes.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I found trash plants! Someone left these two next to the dumpster in my apartment building garage, so I took them in.

Staring at approximately a thousand photos of plants leaves me thinking that these are variegated peperomia obtusifolia. Does that seem right?

They seemed a little banged up, and the pot that's just a single had a badly rotted friend in it that I pulled out. They've also dropped a couple of badly damaged leaves, but they've been fine the past few days.

Assuming I IDed them correctly, it looks like I should let them dry out pretty thoroughly between watering. Does that seem right? Any other tips for these guys? Everything else I have right now is pretty easy to care for (except the stupid dumb cane that's constantly mad about something).

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

you ate my cat posted:

I found trash plants! Someone left these two next to the dumpster in my apartment building garage, so I took them in.

Staring at approximately a thousand photos of plants leaves me thinking that these are variegated peperomia obtusifolia. Does that seem right?

They seemed a little banged up, and the pot that's just a single had a badly rotted friend in it that I pulled out. They've also dropped a couple of badly damaged leaves, but they've been fine the past few days.

Assuming I IDed them correctly, it looks like I should let them dry out pretty thoroughly between watering. Does that seem right? Any other tips for these guys? Everything else I have right now is pretty easy to care for (except the stupid dumb cane that's constantly mad about something).

Peperomia are really easy to care for, about the same level as a spider plant/pothos imo with similar needs

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Peperomia are adorable ☺️ I love them.

Rooting my new fella in some pebbles, perlite and some dry soil. The weather is perfect right now for rooting so it should take pretty quick.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I bought some fertiliser for my indoor begonia because although I have repotted it successfully (thanks thread) it could be happier and I hear feeding plants is good for them. The fertiliser advertises itself as indoor plant fertiliser and lists species included palms and ferns and geraniums. Can I use the same fertiliser for my euphorbia as well or would I really need to buy a whole other fertiliser of specifically succulent food?

Kind of regretting that right now my indoor plants consist of three totally different species with totally different care requirements but I think I'm down the rabbithole now so I'm sure more will join them sooner or later.

This is the stuff I bought!

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 25, 2021

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Organza Quiz posted:

I bought some fertiliser for my indoor begonia because although I have repotted it successfully (thanks thread) it could be happier and I hear feeding plants is good for them. The fertiliser advertises itself as indoor plant fertiliser and lists species included palms and ferns and geraniums. Can I use the same fertiliser for my euphorbia as well or would I really need to buy a whole other fertiliser of specifically succulent food?

I can't actually find anyone listing a price for it but based on the container sizes I'm guessing that the special indoors formulation of Osmocote is more expensive (it has less P in it but I wouldn't worry too much about it)—I use the regular stuff for all of my succulents and houseplants without issue.

Generally the only difference within a given brand offering different formulations for different plants is the NPK ratios, but unless you're getting into really specialized stuff it's not going to matter too much; as long as you aren't burning the poo poo out of the plant it's mostly going to just not use nutrients it doesn't want or need. It's generally harder to burn things with a slow-release fertilizer.

Speaking very broadly succulents are adapted to environments where there's a lot less organic decomposition going on to provide nutrients. The rule of thumb is to fertilize them at half the dose on the bottle.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Perfect thanks! I thought it might be one of those areas where there are tons of slightly different products but they're all basically similar but wasn't sure.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I've generally read that people prefer balanced fertilizers for succs (as opposed to nitrogen heavy ones). E.g. something like 8% nitrogen, 8% phosphorus, 8% potassium is fine. If you are using a non-succ specific fertilizer, it's probably safe to dilute the recommended does by half. Personally I fertilize my plants only once a year or so.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

pokie posted:

I've generally read that people prefer balanced fertilizers for succs (as opposed to nitrogen heavy ones). E.g. something like 8% nitrogen, 8% phosphorus, 8% potassium is fine. If you are using a non-succ specific fertilizer, it's probably safe to dilute the recommended does by half. Personally I fertilize my plants only once a year or so.

under-fertilize instead of over-fertilize and you p much never have to worry about fertilizer specificity, barring acid vs alk-sensitive plants

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Can anybody recommend some low-difficulty houseplants that aren't poisonous to cats? My go-to has been a philodendron, but those are definitely toxic.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Cats tend to avoid things like cacti or haworthiopsis due to their spiky appearance.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Unless they decide it's Just The Thing to rub the corner of their mouth against, like one cat I've known

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Can anybody recommend some low-difficulty houseplants that aren't poisonous to cats? My go-to has been a philodendron, but those are definitely toxic.

If your cat is enough of an rear end in a top hat no plant is cat-safe, but Maranta and I think Calathea are non-toxic and nice and leafy.