Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Kitfox88 posted:

Same with Final Fantasy XIV. I can count the legit awful experiences in 5 years of on/off playing on one hand, and I can't even begin to count the times some random person happily explained a new fight or made running the same low level dungeon for the thousandth time in roulette enjoyable. :3:

I made a really good out-of-game friend by helping a sprout (newbie, they get a little plant icon by their name) out by giving him a million gold and some stuff to get him started, and answering his questions. It was more rewarding to see his reactions to the story than any raid drop could ever be. Despite not playing ff anymore, I look back fondly on my time mostly because of that friendship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kitfox88 posted:

Same with Final Fantasy XIV. I can count the legit awful experiences in 5 years of on/off playing on one hand, and I can't even begin to count the times some random person happily explained a new fight or made running the same low level dungeon for the thousandth time in roulette enjoyable. :3:

It's really night-and-day coming from WoW, and I think what does it is there's a lot less fuel to the "screw you, got mine" fire. Loot in the raids is portioned out by just your 8-man party, instead of a 20+-player slapfight over a few items, in raids for example. Plus there's no situation where you're fighting literally everyone else to get quest mobs or gathering spawning interactives because they're all local to you.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

That whole spirit really disappears at max level, and is entirely gone once you get to the edge of content. Get home from work and want to play the dungeon that just dropped that day? How dare you not have spoiled yourself and watched how it's done, or at worst identify yourself as new and be tutorialized in game instead.

Or how dare you express in-game that the the content they added that disrupted every norm of the game is poorly done.

This is the wrong thread for my gripes though. The storyline's pretty great, "for an MMO" qualifier not even needed. Definitely play it for that, especially now that they've cut the bloat from years of periodic updates.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I'll Nth FF14 being a very nice community. My one bad experience so far was quite bad, but the unanimous response from anyone who heard about, even rando chatting over mahjong has been "wow what a dick that guy was". Didn't get shouted at for getting caught in a boss effect and dying, or for getting a bit turned around and being slow with my pulls.

Even with tanking being so much more stressful than being just another caster dps, I've taken none of the abuse I got hit with way back when I played WoW.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One thing that helps is that the penalty for wiping in FFXIV is pretty low- there's like a very small hit to durability, there's a shortcut back to either the boss or the area before it (which you probably cleared on the way so it's easy to run back), really the big hassle is just doing the fight again which, yeah.

Like I will say there are quite a few bosses that do have weird things that aren't signposted the best so you do kinda have to either know from walkthroughs or just work it out after a few tries, plus the general chaos of visual effects can make things tricky, but the penalty for failure being so slight I think makes people more patient.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Maxwell Lord posted:

One thing that helps is that the penalty for wiping in FFXIV is pretty low- there's like a very small hit to durability, there's a shortcut back to either the boss or the area before it (which you probably cleared on the way so it's easy to run back), really the big hassle is just doing the fight again which, yeah.

Like I will say there are quite a few bosses that do have weird things that aren't signposted the best so you do kinda have to either know from walkthroughs or just work it out after a few tries, plus the general chaos of visual effects can make things tricky, but the penalty for failure being so slight I think makes people more patient.

Bosses also tend to have big "don't stand here" warning effects before their moves, so it's much easier than WoW to coach people through new bossfights.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The crucial things FF14 did to foster the sense of community and cooperation it has are two fold. 1st, and it shares this with Destiny (another game with a great supportive community), is there are no competing player factions baked into the story and setting. Not everybody takes part in factions warfare, but the lack of it really sets a tone of cooperation and support that carries over into everything else. The second one is that the game provides useful rewards for helping lower level people. You get bonuses for running dungeons with first timers, there's a dungeon queue specifically for low level content, etc. There is a material incentive to be nice and supportive.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

ShootaBoy posted:

I'll Nth FF14 being a very nice community. My one bad experience so far was quite bad, but the unanimous response from anyone who heard about, even rando chatting over mahjong has been "wow what a dick that guy was". Didn't get shouted at for getting caught in a boss effect and dying, or for getting a bit turned around and being slow with my pulls.

Even with tanking being so much more stressful than being just another caster dps, I've taken none of the abuse I got hit with way back when I played WoW.

I remember when I was tanking in WoW raids, it required a literal job interview.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

marshmallow creep posted:

I remember when I was tanking in WoW raids, it required a literal job interview.

i had a buddy who would lose his poo poo when we played together if i wasnt doing MY MAXIMUM BEST

gently caress you man that sword gives int i want a magic sword for my warlock idgaf

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sighence posted:

That whole spirit really disappears at max level, and is entirely gone once you get to the edge of content. Get home from work and want to play the dungeon that just dropped that day? How dare you not have spoiled yourself and watched how it's done, or at worst identify yourself as new and be tutorialized in game instead.

Or how dare you express in-game that the the content they added that disrupted every norm of the game is poorly done.

This is the wrong thread for my gripes though. The storyline's pretty great, "for an MMO" qualifier not even needed. Definitely play it for that, especially now that they've cut the bloat from years of periodic updates.

I've been playing ffxiv for years and never encountered this.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Ironically my worst FF14 experience was with a goon who chain pulled a whole dungeon and made fun of me for dying to "haze" me.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's really night-and-day coming from WoW, and I think what does it is there's a lot less fuel to the "screw you, got mine" fire. Loot in the raids is portioned out by just your 8-man party, instead of a 20+-player slapfight over a few items, in raids for example. Plus there's no situation where you're fighting literally everyone else to get quest mobs or gathering spawning interactives because they're all local to you.

Wow classic is really good, I had one literal genuine nazi gently caress guy in 100s of hours, and so many nice experiences with random players.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
My greatest moment in WoW came when I was like level 5 and met some nice guy who was helping me figure it out and he asked "do you know how to party?" and my answer was "oh yeah, I know how to party!"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

sebmojo posted:

Wow classic is really good, I had one literal genuine nazi gently caress guy in 100s of hours, and so many nice experiences with random players.

I take it the rest were figurative genuine nazi gently caress guys.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Metaphorical fascist sex individuals

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I think those dudes used to open for Static X.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

once again goons can't detect a meter for poo poo.

On topic: In Deathloop, the banter between Julianna and Colt is top notch. Both are spiteful mocking jackasses and it fills the entire game with an infectious "gently caress you!" fun vibe. You're not JUST trying to complete the objectives, you are here to make sure the other person fails miserably.

edit: expanding on this, it means that when you get your rear end handed to you in the multiplayer elements of the game, you don't go away feeling hard done by, you sit there going "oooh motherfucker, you got me good! Next time though..."

Hattie Masters has a new favorite as of 00:13 on Oct 1, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Wasabi the J posted:

I take it the rest were figurative genuine nazi gently caress guys.

There’s a real problem of counterfeit nazi gently caress guys flooding the Nazi gently caress guy market. And the sad thing is most people won’t even know until they try to get their Nazi gently caress guy appraised.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Usually I can make sense of these because they're only a beat off or you doing a weird thing to the word to make it sorta fit but I have no idea where this one's gone

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Usually I can make sense of these because they're only a beat off or you doing a weird thing to the word to make it sorta fit but I have no idea where this one's gone

fictive fashy horny
people

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RGX posted:

Here's something I've only just realised after over 100 hours of gameplay in Destiny 2: Its pretty much the only multiplayer shooter I've ever played where every time I encounter another player they're....nice?

Granted, I don't play the Crucible PvP much so maybe theres a lot of toxic bullshit going on there, nor have I ever looked at the player forums, but day to day running strikes and competing bounties I constantly encounter other players who crouch salute, wave, and crucially, risk their own asses to revive you if you're in a tight spot. Almost all of it is wordless, communicating through emote animations only. There's a weird sense of bonhomie and good natured humor present in just about every player interaction and its incredibly refreshing.

The tower hubworld regularly spawns bouncy balls of various sizes. Sometimes, while I'm killing time, I attempt to start a football match or get a particularly large one stuck on an NPCs head. This has never failed to ellicit a crowd response, and within ten minutes there are a bunch of us loving around with the physics engine.

I got sick of Destiny 2's poo poo eventually, but the one thing that stuck with me was the ad-hoc co-op for zone events. I know it's technically nothing new, but the slickness and reliability of "show up in the next five minutes to do some cool poo poo" without needing to jump through hoops of manually teaming up or directly interacting with anyone else was quite pleasing and was just the right amount of social interaction I'm usually looking for in a game.

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

Vandar posted:

Brave Fencer Musashi is such a good loving game. :allears:

I played so much of this game when I was a kid, but I wasn't smart enough to buy a copy. Did they ever release a remaster or a downloadable version? Really wanna do another playthrough now.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's still times where world spawns lead to hilarity, back in Stormblood when the second Ivalice raid dropped, everyone was doing the unlock quests all at once on patch day to get to it obviously. But one had a world spawn Red Chocobo with a full powered Choco Meteor attack. So you had dozens of these running around the same tiny area that was already lagged to poo poo and culling graphics due to all the players there, so if you were floating above the chaos in a mount you'd just see people dying constantly due to the meteors they couldn't see. Pretty sure I unlocked the 'resurrect x people that aren't in your party' achievements in an hour or so.

joneswt posted:

I played so much of this game when I was a kid, but I wasn't smart enough to buy a copy. Did they ever release a remaster or a downloadable version? Really wanna do another playthrough now.

Not that I'm aware of, sadly. It's emulation or hope you can find a functioning used one at this point, more or less.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

The ‘Booyah!’ button in Splatoon is fantastic + versatile and every single online shooter should have it

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Every multiplayer game needs two buttons : a 'gently caress yeah' button and an 'aw beans' button, or variants thereof.

I was playing some Hearthstone some time ago and accidentally targetted the wrong target for a spell, spent the rest of the match just saying 'oops' over and over again.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Morpheus posted:

Every multiplayer game needs two buttons : a 'gently caress yeah' button and an 'aw beans' button, or variants thereof.
Nah, "gently caress yeah" is all you need. Case in point: Deep Rock Galactic. Make it through an encounter by the skin of your teeth? ROCK AND STONE! Find a room with a shitload of loot? DID I HEAR A ROCK AND STONE?! Buddy falls into a pit and dies? ROCK! AND! STOOOOOOOOONE!!!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Morpheus posted:

I was playing some Hearthstone some time ago and accidentally targetted the wrong target for a spell, spent the rest of the match just saying 'oops' over and over again.

Three buttons. One to order a pizza without getting up

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Nah, "gently caress yeah" is all you need. Case in point: Deep Rock Galactic. Make it through an encounter by the skin of your teeth? ROCK AND STONE! Find a room with a shitload of loot? DID I HEAR A ROCK AND STONE?! Buddy falls into a pit and dies? ROCK! AND! STOOOOOOOOONE!!!

station

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

deathloop: hitting a candy machine makes candy spill all over the ground, and enemies can not only trip over it but there's also an achievement for making this happen

https://i.imgur.com/VIkfWtV.mp4

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

deathloop: hitting a candy machine makes candy spill all over the ground, and enemies can not only trip over it but there's also an achievement for making this happen

I broke most of the candy dispensers I came across because I figured that sooner or later someone would blunder into the candy and fall over (also it's fun to kick things) but by the end of the game I still didn't have that achievement :argh:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Triarii posted:

I broke most of the candy dispensers I came across because I figured that sooner or later someone would blunder into the candy and fall over (also it's fun to kick things) but by the end of the game I still didn't have that achievement :argh:

I got spotted and a firefight broke out. The eternalists shot a candy machine and then ran past it to chase me before it could finish dispensing. After losing track of me, they tried to resume their patrol route and then they fell into it and gave me the achievement.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ohmygod, there's a prompt to high five Ellie in the Last of Us.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I started A Plague Tale last night and am enjoying it so far. At least in the early going, they managed to make death really shocking and terrible in a way I haven't experienced in games often, if at all. It really helps get you into the characters and story.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Morpheus posted:

Absolutely.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think Triforce heroes had a little "cheering with pompoms" emote and it was applied equally to solving puzzles or to falling off a cliff.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

my favorite little thing about control is the combat, which owns

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just finished Outer Wilds' DLC and I am still impressed with how the game manages to nail the fact that the only thing you're ever given, the currency of the game, is knowledge.

Well, except for the signals but those are fairly inconsequential.

Like, there are numerous things that the game teaches you and shows you that, in theory, you couldve discovered yourself if you really tried to fast-track the ending. There's literally nothing stopping you from doing just that - all the game, and DLC, is doing is revealing this knowledge to you, and it's so drat good at doing so.

Like when I found out (mid-to-end-DLC major mechanic spoilers) you could 'fall through the world' during area transitions, I couldn't believe this was just something I could've done at any of the dozens of points in the game where the next area was 'loading'.

The DLC doesn't hit as hard as the main game, but it definitely has its moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I started up my second ever game of Rimworld. A couple of seasons in I domesticate a pair of wild guinea pigs on a whim, just to test out the taming mechanic. Two in-game years later and my economy is guinea pig-based. I employ caravans of guinea pig traders. My primary agricultural output is hay, and most of the ambient noise is drowned out by the shrill wheeking of wandering pigs. This game is magical sometimes.