Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

stop being weird about wanting the show to remove major characters just because of your personal hangups about them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Johnny Joestar posted:

stop being weird about wanting the show to remove major characters just because of your personal hangups about them

For real.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

uPen posted:

:emptyquote:

e: Get rid of Elayne too, Rand can date Galad.

poo poo, now I'm on board.

Great dynamic too. Chaotic neutral disaster twink with ultra-clean paladin type

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

they must only become more likeable!!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

uPen posted:

You thought the freakout when he thinks Elayne is his cousin was bad...

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
just think how many issues in wheel of time could've been solved if the characters had cell phones

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Brolander posted:

just think how many issues in wheel of time could've been solved if the characters had cell phones

They had them in the Age of Legends. You'd think the Forsaken would still using them.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nitrousoxide posted:

They had them in the Age of Legends. You'd think the Forsaken would still using them.

They are. They just hate each other so they've all blocked each other on Forsakebook.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

They are. They just hate each other so they've all blocked each other on Forsakebook.

I thought the little chime before portalling in being the lost art of being polite was really fun.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

uPen posted:

:hmmyes:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

They've already cast Elayne, so you're just going to have to suck it up. :colbert:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

uPen posted:

that's incest, so i guess if they really wanna go after that game of thrones market that's the way to go

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

SerSpook posted:

that's incest, so i guess if they really wanna go after that game of thrones market that's the way to go

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

most of the side characters in the books need to be cut, and gavin isn't needed for any major plots

he can be removed completely, or combined with galad easily

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ChubbyChecker posted:

most of the side characters in the books need to be cut, and gavin isn't needed for any major plots

he can be removed completely, or combined with galad easily

They're not cutting Gawyn

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Jaxyon posted:

poo poo, now I'm on board.

Great dynamic too. Chaotic neutral disaster twink with ultra-clean paladin type

Manic pixie dream churl

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Gawyn would be one of the first characters I would cut because he's a long recurring character who's also a background character that doesn't really do much. He honestly doesn't do anything important that I can think of offhand. Any generic warder student could get team up with Galad to take a quarterstaff beating. His main role against Demandred is to shine him up as a fighter so it's more impressive when Lan smokes him, and any good fighter could do that. He finds Rand and Min after Dumai's Wells, but all he does there is ride away going "One day, al'Thor!". His part in deposing Siuan is entirely offscreen.

His biggest effect on the series is to make scenes involving Egwene shittier, imo. Even his death does this, because Egwene choosing to sacrifice herself in the Last Battle would be more meaningful without the "oh and she was suicidal because her boyfriend died" bit.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Khizan posted:

His biggest effect on the series is to make scenes involving Egwene shittier, imo.

Pretty much. Egwene is cool as heck and her story arc is cool as heck and the only fly in that ointment is anything to do with Gawyn. On re-reads I enjoy everything to do with her except those cringey dreams and I just wholesale skip those parts anymore.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Tbh I liked the way gawyn went out, but he's supposed to be a very good swordsman and also has on three rings of speed. He should have killed the guy then bled out imo

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Keep Gawyn in the show, make him 20% more unlikable and make his death far more horrifying. Problem solved.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Johnny Joestar posted:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Calling Gawyn a major character is a stretch.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm not really looking forward to people confusing the show watchers by getting into their bizarre grudges when certain things start showing up in a tv show that has already been confirmed to play out a bit differently than the books and i also don't relish the opportunity of seeing people daydream about making poo poo worse just to satisfy what they think is the best way to handle a character or whatever, independent of the fact that i ultimately don't think gawyn or whoever is the best character ever

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
Cut every character except Min, Loial, and Bella, reset it in 1776 during the Revolutionary War for a coming of age horse girl story.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
"One if by gateway, two if by portal stone."

Bela: *clomp clomp*

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Brolander posted:

They pretty much said: gently caress it halfway through and started Traveling everywhere; I could get down with cellphones or at least some telepathy

Instead we got Tel'aran'rhiod

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The bigger problem is none of the characters really make time for their "friends" being too caught up in whatever personal quest they're on. They don't need cell phones they have Travelling, Skimming, TAR, lots of ways to quickly and efficiently communicate and they just choose not to use it to visit with people important to them. It always struck me as a little odd, but it is narratively necessary and I guess justified by the pace of most events. I know they all kind grow apart, but big stretches include them internally bemoaning "i wish i knew what my friend was up to, or i hope they're okay" but can't be bothered to really make time to resolve that.

That piece of the relationship bits in WoT always was a bit tough, you love these folks, they're important to you, but we can never find time to actually connect or discuss relevant things between us because. Yeah real adult life means you don't always get to see folks enough, but they can't even messenger each other letters?

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The bigger problem is none of the characters really make time for their "friends" being too caught up in whatever personal quest they're on. They don't need cell phones they have Travelling, Skimming, TAR, lots of ways to quickly and efficiently communicate and they just choose not to use it to visit with people important to them. It always struck me as a little odd, but it is narratively necessary and I guess justified by the pace of most events. I know they all kind grow apart, but big stretches include them internally bemoaning "i wish i knew what my friend was up to, or i hope they're okay" but can't be bothered to really make time to resolve that.

That piece of the relationship bits in WoT always was a bit tough, you love these folks, they're important to you, but we can never find time to actually connect or discuss relevant things between us because. Yeah real adult life means you don't always get to see folks enough, but they can't even messenger each other letters?
The characters don't communicate effectively with each other right from the beginning, even when they are in the same room together or otherwise in close proximity. Not a stretch that these kind of characters would then not communicate with each other over vast distances, even though they have the means to do so.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm not really looking forward to people confusing the show watchers by getting into their bizarre grudges when certain things start showing up in a tv show that has already been confirmed to play out a bit differently than the books and i also don't relish the opportunity of seeing people daydream about making poo poo worse just to satisfy what they think is the best way to handle a character or whatever, independent of the fact that i ultimately don't think gawyn or whoever is the best character ever

Sure, but removing gawyn would make things better, not worse.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I actually thought Bryne's "why the gently caress are you loving around here instead doing literally anything that advances your stated or unstated goals" verbal smackdown of him was amazing, and losing that would be a loss.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
People on the side of the Light not communicating with each other is one of the major themes of the series. The Wonder Girls still meet up in Tel'aran'rhoid but develop clear idelogical splits with the boys that encourage them to keep away. As for the boys Mat's never gonna use anything tied to the One Power to communicate and Perrin's constantly on the move after heading to Ghealdan so it would be hard for Rand to track him down

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

It's mirrored by the theme of the world being out of balance because men and women can't work together like they should any more.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Perrin also spends a big chunk of time on a "pretend you and the Dragon hate each other so nobody realizes you're on a secret mission from him" expedition in the middle of the series. Using the channelers he has available to make contact and get advice is brought up and shot down because he thought it would jeopardize his mission.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah I kinda hope Gawyn gets a significant rewrite in the show.

I kinda hope not. Gawyn being a dumbass is the entire point of his arc. Making him non-lovely would be like making Rand a False Dragon: Completely missing the point of the larger story.

Edit:

mossyfisk posted:

Gawyn doesn't do dumb shithead things for no reason, he does them because of toxic masculinity. That's the whole point of his arc.

If you removed that you might as well remove the entire character and only give Elayne one brother.

Also this. :colbert:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 22, 2021

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

All of those things are true, and narratively necessary, and it's still always baffled me.

As an example, Elayne and Rand as a couple make a lot more sense if they're always sending each other letters like they sorta started off doing, but nah. I know there are "reasons" for this, but it's still always been a bit weird to me.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

We have Rand if you want some toxic masculinity. But I guess if you wanna make Egwene all google eyed over a doof that undermines her badassness, then by all means keep him.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
For Rand specifically you also have big chunks of the series where he's hiding out or constantly on the move to the point people aren't going to be able to just find him. Actually that's true for literally most of the main cast now that I'm thinking about it. For all the talk of how easy Travelling should make communication it still has some really obvious and major drawbacks unless you start building up an infrastructure to handle it which they don't during the time of the series. Plus it takes enough power that people who aren't Main Character power level can't really do it casually.

Also in universe they only really have Travelling for about a year total before the Last Battle, and the first few months of that its limited to a few main characters before it gets widely disseminated. The later books dragging things out skews the perception of this I think and helps explain away some of the 'why didn't they think to do this?' stuff.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Egwene only becomes a badass in KoD and when she meets Gawyn after she firmly refuses to take his poo poo

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It'd just need separate groups setting up a message clearing house at one of their respective bases, they kinda start to do this a little bit when they designate specific traveling grounds, but by the time it's really relevant Rand's already deep in the well of crazy town and he actively doesn't want to talk with the others, while Perrin's off in his own wilderness, and Mat straight up doesn't have any channelers that can travel from the time when Rand sends him to Salidar to when Verin catches him far far later down the road after they've escaped from the Seanchan armies and returned Tuon to Ebou Dar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Rarity posted:

Egwene only becomes a badass in KoD and when she meets Gawyn after she firmly refuses to take his poo poo

What? She's badass like all the way through the wastes and into Salidar and everything. Gawyn is the one turd in that punchbowl.