Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
If I wanted to astroturf support for my self-published series, I could do a lot worse than to spin up a fake account that constantly dragged my name into easily-dismissed controversy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cardiac posted:

Well, there is a Malazan thread, a Sanderson thread and a Pratchett one as well, so why not.

Bonus feature: we will find out whether the posting here is promoting the book series or whether there is a genuine interest in a self published fantasy series in sore need of an editor.

Given how the CJ Cherryh thread died I will be shocked if a much less prolific author can sustain a thread.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Cardiac posted:

Well, there is a Malazan thread, a Sanderson thread and a Pratchett one as well, so why not.

Bonus feature: we will find out whether the posting here is promoting the book series or whether there is a genuine interest in a self published fantasy series in sore need of an editor.

the matrix but agent smith keeps trying to hand neo a copy of the commonweal series

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Pretend I had the wherewithal to edit a GIF of the They Live glasses shot.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ccs posted:

Is this any good? Lotta not so thrilled reviews.
I can't vouch for the English translation, but it's decent. The other two parts of the trilogy get better.
It's low fantasy in a historical setting, written from a pretty cynical viewpoint. The protagonist is an insufferable prat but he kinda gets better as the series goes on. I guess.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

wizzardstaff posted:

If I wanted to astroturf support for my self-published series, I could do a lot worse than to spin up a fake account that constantly dragged my name into easily-dismissed controversy.

I cant believe hit self published fantasy author Graydon Saunders (available on google play and that other one) has called for mandatory beans in chili

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

wizzardstaff posted:

Cardiac is a frothing anti-communist so it's entirely likely they are more mad about the implicit politics than the actual writing, but has decided to claim otherwise.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Should we split off commonweal chat into its own thread? Genuine question

as someone who knows nothing about the series and probably won't read it, no, imo. I like hearing about books.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Danhenge posted:

Cardiac is a frothing anti-communist so it's entirely likely they are more mad about the implicit politics than the actual writing, but has decided to claim otherwise.

I'll be honest, I was on the fence about the series before; it sounded interesting but I wasn't sure it was worth the investment. Knowing that it alienates anti-communists is tipping the balance.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Should we split off commonweal chat into its own thread? Genuine question

I'd imagine Commonwal discussion is going to die down pretty soon unless all five thread regulars start reading it.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

genericnick posted:

I'd imagine Commonwal discussion is going to die down pretty soon unless all five thread regulars start reading it.

Fine, I'll start reading it soon :manning:

Finished book 3 of WoT. Real anticlamax ending to 600 pages or whatever of getting everyone to the same place (again)

Reading some litrpg thing I found in another thread now to cleanse my palette. Might pick up book 4 of WOT in a week or two

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Aardvark! posted:

Finished book 3 of WoT. Real anticlamax ending to 600 pages or whatever of getting everyone to the same place (again)

honestly that's the worst kind of clamax

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Thankfully that pattern dies down a bit.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

silvergoose posted:

as someone who knows nothing about the series and probably won't read it, no, imo. I like hearing about books.

This, but I might read it. Also the thread has gone from loads of posts about the Commonweal books to loads of posts about the posts about the Commonweal books, and I'm intrigued to see where we go next.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Killing Moon (Dreamblood #1) by NK Jemisin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SCS4IK/

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the guy who implied I was graydon saunders after I posted about it the first time was very funny if nothing else. ive been thinking about that and laughing for like a week. we're in an entire forum about reading and discussing books and somehow your first instinct is someone talking about a book is a sock puppet lol.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I hate the word 'commonweal'. It just looks like it's going to be 'commonwealth' and then isn't. Makes me nuts.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Same.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's its own word; it means the common good.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Seems like an intentional differentiation. The Commonweal is about people, not things.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I always interpreted it as a magic reference but I'm used to people only digging out the old Anglican words for that. Like, I thought it was sort of a reference to focuses, the common pool of will or something.

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:

HopperUK posted:

I hate the word 'commonweal'. It just looks like it's going to be 'commonwealth' and then isn't. Makes me nuts.

Agreed, especially since there’s already Hamilton’s Commonwealth series. Makes me picture a pig trying to say it, like Commonweeeeaa weeea :mrapig:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Didn't mean to imply it wasn't, I just hate it! Probably because we hear 'commonwealth' quite a lot here.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

HopperUK posted:

Clearly should have been 'commonveal'.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie
I always read it as a common weasel

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hah, I assumed it was also a fantasy skewing of the word Commonwealth, but yeah it is a real word meaning “the general welfare.”

Thanks for helping me learn new words, Graydon alts.
I still haven’t progressed reading the book at all cause I’m stuck on the first battle and also I was fighting breakthrough covid. For the general welfare, buy some aura N95s masks, don’t rely on those cloth things.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Ccs posted:

For the general welfare, buy some aura N95s masks, don’t rely on those cloth things.

https://www.razer.com/gear-accessories/Razer-Zephyr/RC81-03870128-R3M1

I got one of these because it's dumb and so am I, but I'm gonna wear it when reading my sci-fi books and feel totally rad.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

"Commonweal" just makes me think of the magazine for liberal Catholics.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

HopperUK posted:

Same. It's like when ma and pa store signs are misspelled so that they catch your eyes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aardvark! posted:

Are you are you didn't miss half a dozen chapters? Book 3 ends with the fall of the Stone of Tear, Moiraine killing Be'lal, Rand gaining the loyalty of the Aiel and the first time an open proclamation of the Dragon Reborn is accepted by a major power. It's about as far from an anticlimax as you can get.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Jedit posted:

Are you are you didn't miss half a dozen chapters? Book 3 ends with the fall of the Stone of Tear, Moiraine killing Be'lal, Rand gaining the loyalty of the Aiel and the first time an open proclamation of the Dragon Reborn is accepted by a major power. It's about as far from an anticlimax as you can get.

lol and mat blows a hole in the stone with a giant bag of dynamite and kills a bunch of guys too!!!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
When you write it out like that it certainly feels like a lot happened. But actually reading it the other night, I just didn't get excited about reading on the way the first two books did. So maybe anticlimax is the wrong word, I don't know.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
i'm now reading this Commonweal series just so I can figure out whether all the reports it generates are justified or not

so far: setting is at least interesting and the writing isn't irritating and it isn't a litrpg

I've spent a lot of hours reading much worse books

mewse
May 2, 2006

i'm now reading this Commonweal series just so I can figure out whether all the reports it generates are justified or not

so far: setting is at least interesting and the writing isn't irritating and it isn't a litrpg

I've spent a lot of hours reading much worse books

Reported for commonweal posting

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

complaining about ppl talking about books in the book thread ftmfw

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Has anyone ever seen Jeffrey and Saunders together in the same room? :thunk:

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
The word "commonweal" sounds to me like something from a Dusty Rhodes promo.

We talkin' bout the commonweeall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2PpmQilJbI

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Who the gently caress is reporting fantasy book discussion in the fantasy book megathread

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Hey now there's a few of those that aren't half bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

multijoe posted:

Who the gently caress is reporting fantasy book discussion in the fantasy book megathread

Who is standing outside my file yelling at me to leave the standard-focus!?