Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

The Dave posted:

I have a radon remediation system that is gurgling like a mother fucker because the ground is super saturated and the water is caught in the piping.

This is a regular occurrence, and I’m sure the real long term solution is introducing a sump pump somewhere, but in the mean time is there any easy way to introduce some type of tap or access to manually suck out the water that would still be air tight when closed?

I'm imagining something like a cleanout tee on an a/c condensate line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I guess what I was wondering is if there’s any way to like retrofit or drill in a clean out or if it’s just going to be cutting some pipe out and adding a whole new piece with a clean out.

EDIT: Seems like ultimately rigging up a saddle tee is what I want.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 30, 2021

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I need to replace this hose thingy that's broken.

As far as I can tell I just need to
1) shut off water
2) unscrew it with 2 wrenches
3) put on a new one
4) turn water back on and check for leaks?

Anything I'm missing?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

The Dave posted:

I have a radon remediation system that is gurgling like a mother fucker because the ground is super saturated and the water is caught in the piping.

This is a regular occurrence, and I’m sure the real long term solution is introducing a sump pump somewhere, but in the mean time is there any easy way to introduce some type of tap or access to manually suck out the water that would still be air tight when closed?

Ours has a water trap outside and the bottom just unscrews. I never hear any gurgling from inside even though our water table gets super high, though.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

L0cke17 posted:

I need to replace this hose thingy that's broken.

As far as I can tell I just need to
1) shut off water
2) unscrew it with 2 wrenches
3) put on a new one
4) turn water back on and check for leaks?

Anything I'm missing?

Teflon tape

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
You're going to want a torch too. That looks crazy corroded, I'd be tempted to cut it off and sweat on a new fitting.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

melon cat posted:

If your sump pump is tanking (ie. running almost constantly) your discharge line might need to be extended further out. Because if it isn't discharging far enough it might be feeding the foundation perpetually with water. This could burn out your pump if it's running really often. If you had to have it snaked out twice you might be getting a lot of mud in your sump pump basin. Got a pic of the inside of your basin that you can share? And what's the discharge line setup like?

And did you say that your installers were discharging the sump into the municipal sewer line? If so I'd double check to make sure that's legal/up to code as most cities no longer allow that. You just don't want to pay a guy to do that job then get a knock on the door from the city about it.

You're right that an interior drainage system on its own won't solve the drainage problem- you've got the right idea. But in many cases interior waterproofing is part of the solution. In the words of basement waterproofing companies "BuT iT'S a SyStEm™!!" The most effective solution for badly affected homes is one that has good landscaping, with proper drainage, AND an interior waterproofing system of some sort. A lot of homeowners are seeing MORE water come into their homes due to infrastructure degradation and climate change, but that's a whole other discussion for a different day.

Edit: :lmao: love the new thread title
Yay thread title, lol. Sump pics and bonus evidence of rod holes leaking water previously. That was fixed (?) before we moved in.

Some junk one of the basement companies fished out of there and claimed was the footer drain pipe breaking up, I believe. One of my buddies said that was bullshit but I don't know. outside there's an uncapped line where I'm seeing some water come out when the pump runs, and the discharge line running underground to the sewer drain.

I live in a suburb (literal user name here :v:) with fairly close spaced houses and there's a sewer grate out in the yard at the "4 corners" edge of 4 houses. Seems there are a bunch of drains connected to it and that's where the guy snaking the discharge line was checking to see if it was draining. Maybe it doesn't go into the sewer but sure seems like it. Sewer drain is maybe 40-60 feet from the house and sump, pretty straight shot.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

NomNomNom posted:

You're going to want a torch too. That looks crazy corroded, I'd be tempted to cut it off and sweat on a new fitting.

Is this something I'd be better off just paying a professional to do?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

L0cke17 posted:

Is this something I'd be better off just paying a professional to do?

If you can shut the water off behind it without shutting off the whole house, there is no reason for you to not try it yourself first. It looks like there is already Teflon tape on the threads. That will help prevent the threads from corroding to the point that they need to be sledge hammered off. So shut the water off, try it first, make sure to hold the pipe steady with a wrench or big pliers and turn the valve assembly.
Once off, cleaned he threads of any old Teflon tape, put new tape on, and thread the new valve on there.

This is one of the easiest plumbing fixes a home owner can do themselves.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
My dad wants to replace the cartridge in a moen sink. That would be pretty straightforward, but neither of us can actually unscrew the handle's mounting. It's currently wrapped in a vinegar-soaked paper towel, but is there any other cool tips to undo that fucker?

For reference, the non-problem one can just be unscrewed by hand. Seems like this one's sorta glued to the countertop.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zenostein posted:

My dad wants to replace the cartridge in a moen sink. That would be pretty straightforward, but neither of us can actually unscrew the handle's mounting. It's currently wrapped in a vinegar-soaked paper towel, but is there any other cool tips to undo that fucker?

For reference, the non-problem one can just be unscrewed by hand. Seems like this one's sorta glued to the countertop.

This isn't something dumb like they are threaded opposite for each side right? Picture? Given you've gotten one off it's unlikely to be operator error. There wasn't a missing set screw or something right? Download a pdf of the install instructions?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

wesleywillis posted:

If you can shut the water off behind it without shutting off the whole house, there is no reason for you to not try it yourself first. It looks like there is already Teflon tape on the threads. That will help prevent the threads from corroding to the point that they need to be sledge hammered off. So shut the water off, try it first, make sure to hold the pipe steady with a wrench or big pliers and turn the valve assembly.
Once off, cleaned he threads of any old Teflon tape, put new tape on, and thread the new valve on there.

This is one of the easiest plumbing fixes a home owner can do themselves.

I do have to turn off the whole house water to get to it, but the shutoff valve is very easy to get to.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

H110Hawk posted:

This isn't something dumb like they are threaded opposite for each side right? Picture? Given you've gotten one off it's unlikely to be operator error. There wasn't a missing set screw or something right? Download a pdf of the install instructions?

Nah, to get the handles off (both) it's just counter-clockwise. Install instructions say the same (in reverse, obviously). It's just the hot (left) one is stuck.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

I do have to turn off the whole house water to get to it, but the shutoff valve is very easy to get to.

Well if it doesn't have its own valve, you risk getting yourself stuck with the whole house water off. Like if you run into problems with the valve removed, now you can't turn on the rest of your water either.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

L0cke17 posted:

Realistically, it's probably still only a ten minute job that you can do yourself though.

OR call a plumber and have then change the valve AND put in another valve inline with that line so you can shut it off in the future if necessary. Pay the extra 2.47$ and get the good valve, not whatever home Depot special the guy might have.

Do you live where it freezes in the winter?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Suburban Dad posted:

Yay thread title, lol. Sump pics and bonus evidence of rod holes leaking water previously.

Good pics. So your sump pump discharge branches off into surface level AND underground into your main drain? That would be... odd. But anyway if that's the case do you know the condition of your underground sewer drain pipe? Like is it busted up, old clay pipe or a new, shiny fiberglass line? Because old busted up sewer drain piping can leak water into the soil directly next to your foundation. Just trying to figure out why your sump pump is running so often- how often would you say your sump pump runs?

Your sump basin has a bit of mud in it but doesn't look too muddy. Get your sump pump serviced and cleaned out each year because if that broken up junk is regularly falling into into your sump basin it could jam up your sump pump impeller if you get unlucky (but you do have a backup sump pump which does lessen the risk). Interested in hearing why your buddy thinks the basement company was bullshitting. Some of that junk particularly the flatter pieces looks like calcium build up that flaked off your basin walls. Can't explain the bigger chunks closer to the top in your photo, though.

Standing water in your yard might be caused by clay heavy soil. Maybe your weeping tile is clogged, too? Just throwing out some ideas.

The joy of inheriting a legacy weeping tile system.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 1, 2021

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

kid sinister posted:

That's the wrong outlet tee. Outlet tees have baffles in them to direct drainage. You need a center outlet tee.

Hey thanks! "center outlet tee" was the magic phrase to search for to find what I want. Also I noticed that there is an arrow pointing to the direction of water flow, and indeed it was on the reverse side of the original outlet tee pointing to the right. Based on that and the previous replies (and after a few trips to Home Depot) I managed to replace the entire plumbing underneath the sink, and it's working well so far!

Before (baffle marked in red): and after (baffle in the middle):

Thanks all!

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

wesleywillis posted:

Realistically, it's probably still only a ten minute job that you can do yourself though.

OR call a plumber and have then change the valve AND put in another valve inline with that line so you can shut it off in the future if necessary. Pay the extra 2.47$ and get the good valve, not whatever home Depot special the guy might have.

Do you live where it freezes in the winter?

I'm in Texas, so while normally I'd say it doesn't really freeze this year proved that yes it does.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
On that note, does anyone have any recommendations for a place like Texas where the building codes are definitely wrong for the winters we get now.

I've considered getting a plumber in to just ambiguously "winterize" the outdoor faucets but I have no idea what they would even need to do to make our pipes safe. It would be nice to not have to worry about them, instead of leaving them running for the duration of the 4-day freezes we're getting now.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
There are purpose built outdoor faucets for cold areas. You're looking for an Anti-Siphon, Frost Free/Freeze Resistant Sillcock. They work by having the valve shut the water off a foot or so behind the faucet, so it's inside the heated space, instead of right at the faucet like normal.

Your mileage may vary if that means it's inside an uninsulated crawlspace as opposed to a heated basement. In that case it would probably be a matter of installing shutoffs inside the heated area and draining the lines if an artic blast is in the forecast.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

They also make frost free hydrants for any that are ran to various places in the yard, but keep in mind (I moved to DFW from IL last year) that you can just cover them with a tarp to keep the wind off them and the ground heat will keep them from freezing for stuff like what happened this year. I just covered all mine with a tarp/towel and they were all fine, granted I did leave all the interior faucets drip cause we didn't have power for 4 days.....just TX things I guess. No regulation ftw?

I've thought about digging them up and putting in frost free ones....but idk if it's worth the effort, if it starts happening like yearly, maybe.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

melon cat posted:

Good pics. So your sump pump discharge branches off into surface level AND underground into your main drain? That would be... odd. But anyway if that's the case do you know the condition of your underground sewer drain pipe? Like is it busted up, old clay pipe or a new, shiny fiberglass line? Because old busted up sewer drain piping can leak water into the soil directly next to your foundation. Just trying to figure out why your sump pump is running so often- how often would you say your sump pump runs?

Your sump basin has a bit of mud in it but doesn't look too muddy. Get your sump pump serviced and cleaned out each year because if that broken up junk is regularly falling into into your sump basin it could jam up your sump pump impeller if you get unlucky (but you do have a backup sump pump which does lessen the risk). Interested in hearing why your buddy thinks the basement company was bullshitting. Some of that junk particularly the flatter pieces looks like calcium build up that flaked off your basin walls. Can't explain the bigger chunks closer to the top in your photo, though.

Standing water in your yard might be caused by clay heavy soil. Maybe your weeping tile is clogged, too? Just throwing out some ideas.

The joy of inheriting a legacy weeping tile system.

The house was built in 96. Not sure if the condition of the pipes underground as we didn't do a camera of that for inspection due to the age. I'll try to get a pic of the outside so you can see better what I'm saying. Maybe my wording doesn't make sense since I don't know anything about this stuff, haha. But yes there is a pipe above ground level that water drips out of when the sump pump runs. It was worse before snaking it but it still does it.

Couldn't say for sure how often the pump runs but when raining is say every half-hour at least. When not, maybe every hour or so. There's some wifi set up thing with it that I still haven't done. Maybe I'll do that and it will have some better logs of this.

Buddy thought that junk was there from construction. He said the line could be crushed or broken but they don't really drain into the well area if that happens. Given the size of the pipe feeding into the well and the size of the chunks, I might agree.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

TerminalSaint posted:

Your mileage may vary if that means it's inside an uninsulated crawlspace as opposed to a heated basement. In that case it would probably be a matter of installing shutoffs inside the heated area and draining the lines if an artic blast is in the forecast.

This might be worth getting a plumber to do in our case.

The thing I need to replace is at the end of the uninsulated garage and about 25 feet from the nearest heat source.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Suburban Dad posted:

The house was built in 96. Not sure if the condition of the pipes underground as we didn't do a camera of that for inspection due to the age. I'll try to get a pic of the outside so you can see better what I'm saying. Maybe my wording doesn't make sense since I don't know anything about this stuff, haha. But yes there is a pipe above ground level that water drips out of when the sump pump runs. It was worse before snaking it but it still does it.

Couldn't say for sure how often the pump runs but when raining is say every half-hour at least. When not, maybe every hour or so. There's some wifi set up thing with it that I still haven't done. Maybe I'll do that and it will have some better logs of this.

Buddy thought that junk was there from construction. He said the line could be crushed or broken but they don't really drain into the well area if that happens. Given the size of the pipe feeding into the well and the size of the chunks, I might agree.

If your house was built in '96 then the main drain sewage pipe is probably be made out of better plastic material and not old clay which is more common in houses built 80+ years ago. I'm just curious as to why that old footer drainage material would be there to begin with? Unless the builders knocked down some older homes and re-built yours on top? Your buddy could be right, especially if the sump pump was put in during the original build. But if those chunks were from the original build that means your sump basin was never cleaned out properly.

A sump pump running every hour isn't too bad and not something to be alarmed about. Every half hour during rainy weather isn't unusual either. I've seen some houses that were really bad and had the sump running every 30 minutes even on the dryest days. Some houses are just sitting on a lot of water.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 1, 2021

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

So my house is old, like 1790s old, and that means for that section of the house we have awesome soft pine wide plank hardwood floors. Now what that also means is that between those planks in my living room and my unfinished fieldstone basement is absolutely nothing, and the floors do have some gaps, nail holes, and wide openings around the waterlines (because ofcourse exterior water lines).

I don't really know for sure if there's any value in trying to insulate / vapor barrier the basement from the living room, however, I would like there to be some barrier to cut out light leaking through when I'm in the basement, to stop liquids from splattering on the basement if someone drops a glass in a certain spot, and drowning out noise in any way would be an improvement. Maybe this helps too with some draftiness but probably not.

I've seen those like stick-on aluminum (i guess?) bubble sheets that seem to be specifically for basement ceiling insulation work, but if I went that route I'm worried you might see the shine of them through the gaps in a couple of spots. So is there anything that would be a nice black or neutral color, with no graphics or text on it, that would work as an underlayment on the backside of the planks? All the typical materials seem to have some sort of branding outside of the black sheets for vapor barriers but I'm not sure if that's the type of material I should be using (and maybe it doesn't matter if it's not a true air-tight seal. I guess I don't want to trap water if something does spill but not sure how I avoid that while creating the barrier.

I can't believe how much I ended up writing about this.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The Dave posted:

So my house is old, like 1790s old, and that means for that section of the house we have awesome soft pine wide plank hardwood floors. Now what that also means is that between those planks in my living room and my unfinished fieldstone basement is absolutely nothing, and the floors do have some gaps, nail holes, and wide openings around the waterlines (because ofcourse exterior water lines).

I don't really know for sure if there's any value in trying to insulate / vapor barrier the basement from the living room, however, I would like there to be some barrier to cut out light leaking through when I'm in the basement, to stop liquids from splattering on the basement if someone drops a glass in a certain spot, and drowning out noise in any way would be an improvement. Maybe this helps too with some draftiness but probably not.

I've seen those like stick-on aluminum (i guess?) bubble sheets that seem to be specifically for basement ceiling insulation work, but if I went that route I'm worried you might see the shine of them through the gaps in a couple of spots. So is there anything that would be a nice black or neutral color, with no graphics or text on it, that would work as an underlayment on the backside of the planks? All the typical materials seem to have some sort of branding outside of the black sheets for vapor barriers but I'm not sure if that's the type of material I should be using (and maybe it doesn't matter if it's not a true air-tight seal. I guess I don't want to trap water if something does spill but not sure how I avoid that while creating the barrier.

I can't believe how much I ended up writing about this.
You could just like, staple black fabric under the floorboards/to the joists.

I don't know enough to make any other specific recommendations, but I know you should be relatively careful with vapor barrier kind of stuff in older houses that weren't built with climate control/insulation in mind. If you get the vapor drive backwards or whatever, you can relatively quickly make a house that's been perfectly happy for 230 years start to rot and have mold and moisture problems.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Seems like a job for some staples and black poster board. Easy to replace if it gets wet or whatever, not permanent, and doesn't functionally change anything about how the house operates today.

Also I thought my house was old at 1880, but jesus.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

We've got sparks coming from this (pictured) metal panel on our microwave, it's a built-in above our oven.

Model # WMC30516HZ 0
Manufactured Jan, 2019

I am kind of assuming that microwaves aren't repairable items (or rather not worth repairing?), but figure you good people will know more.

If I do need to repair it will it be similar to an electrical outlet, i.e. shut off power at the breaker box, remove surrounding cover via pulling or whatever, unplug or unwire old microwave and put in new one that I assume must be the same dimensions.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Going by the reviews there it seems like it's engineered to last about 2 years at the most, yikes.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You could just like, staple black fabric under the floorboards/to the joists.

I don't know enough to make any other specific recommendations, but I know you should be relatively careful with vapor barrier kind of stuff in older houses that weren't built with climate control/insulation in mind. If you get the vapor drive backwards or whatever, you can relatively quickly make a house that's been perfectly happy for 230 years start to rot and have mold and moisture problems.

Yea, I was going to suggest something like silt fencing (which is completely not what it's designed for), but a roll of black fabric and a staplegun seems like your best bet here.

Some thin plywood painted black seems ok too... I wouldn't go with drywall if you're having issues with liquids coming through the floor.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tangy yet delightful posted:

We've got sparks coming from this (pictured) metal panel on our microwave, it's a built-in above our oven.

Model # WMC30516HZ 0
Manufactured Jan, 2019

I am kind of assuming that microwaves aren't repairable items (or rather not worth repairing?), but figure you good people will know more.

If I do need to repair it will it be similar to an electrical outlet, i.e. shut off power at the breaker box, remove surrounding cover via pulling or whatever, unplug or unwire old microwave and put in new one that I assume must be the same dimensions.

That's the magnetron aka the thing that makes the magic. I would call them and ask, make sure to emphasize scary sparks and smoke and arcing sounds and is this thing going to burn down my house? Do not use it. There should be a way to unplug it in a nearby cabinet. I hope hardwired microwaves aren't a thing.

Otherwise yeah it's new microwave time unless you have prior experience working with not loving around voltages. (Ever fixed a crt?)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

No plugs in the surrounding cabinets that I can find. I took off the faceplate that surrounded the microwave spot and still have more to take apart to move the microwave, still can't see a plug or cord but it's dinnertime now and I gotta rustle up some grub (not microwave meals).

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

tangy yet delightful posted:

No plugs in the surrounding cabinets that I can find. I took off the faceplate that surrounded the microwave spot and still have more to take apart to move the microwave, still can't see a plug or cord but it's dinnertime now and I gotta rustle up some grub (not microwave meals).

In our house the PO (or whomever the gently caress) hide the plug behind the microwave, so had to take it off to get to the plug...not ideal. It wasn't even in a workbox...just an outlet inside a hole in the drywall. So it could be almost flush with the wall. :suicide:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Rakeris posted:

In our house the PO (or whomever the gently caress) hide the plug behind the microwave, so had to take it off to get to the plug...not ideal. It wasn't even in a workbox...just an outlet inside a hole in the drywall. So it could be almost flush with the wall. :suicide:

Yeah it ended up being a plug behind which is annoying but at least mine was a proper outlet I guess.

I'll call the manufacturer tomorrow but I'm sure I'll get told to pound sand and then I'll start sourcing for a new one to fit the space.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my new fridge has one of those led strip panels, however it's a very high color temp (6000K+) blue light which I hate. I'm wondering if there's someway to have a "warmer" light. samsung says they don't have a different panel, but maybe I could find a different cover that would change the diffusion? or maybe there's some sort of... i dunno film? I could put on the cover to diffuse light? like something that's a very light yellow. any ideas?

it looks like this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

actionjackson posted:

or maybe there's some sort of... i dunno film? I could put on the cover to diffuse light? like something that's a very light yellow. any ideas?

it looks like this

In the stage lighting world, they're called gels. An orange or yellow sharpie might also do the trick.

First Google result

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Happiness Commando posted:

In the stage lighting world, they're called gels. An orange or yellow sharpie might also do the trick.

First Google result

thanks - no idea which one I would select. I don't want to do anything permanent in case it doesn't work right (likely).

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

actionjackson posted:

thanks - no idea which one I would select. I don't want to do anything permanent in case it doesn't work right (likely).

Transparent Vinyl Tape with Self-Adhesive. (1/4 inch x 50 ft, Yellow)

They probably have cheaper stuff at craft stores, too.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks, good idea!

edit: sounds like despite what the other samsung rep said, they can come by and modify the LED somehow to a lower color temp. no idea how that works but I'm relieved!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
What caulk would I use to re-caulk a kitchen sink?

I want to say silicon is what I read is the answer, and there are several that are advertised for "kitchen and bath" use. Is there any more to it than that? Seems simple enough, but I don't want to put on something that's going to mold up right away and have to be redone.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 4, 2021