Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

quote:

Decades ago, the end of the Last War bathed the world in nuclear fire. Now, in 2151, the world depends on their own will and that of the Outcasts, intrepid explorers who brave the Wastes and Exclusion Zones in search of Old World treasure and tech.
You could still potentially eat some words from that opening.

shorter edit posted:

Decades ago, the Last War bathed the world in nuclear fire. Now, in 2151, the world depends upon the Outcasts, intrepid explorers who brave the Wastes in search of Old World treasure and technology.

D34THROW posted:

I suppose I was trying to insert too much of the prologue into the blurb.

I appreciate the help, all :)

The thing is, the story isn't only about the Outcasts. It starts off with a wannabe Outcast and an experienced Waster going out together, but there are other factions and people to explore as well, like the Witnesses and the Numises to start.
Yeah, that third paragraph sounds like great stuff to add to your blurb. Best of luck with the marketing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Sure, but you don't want to throw out too many Terms in the preamble. That's just a good way to get peoples eyes to glaze over and skip the story. Hook them in with the preamble and introduce other elements of the story later.

You also have 3 temporal references in the blurb, and no mention of the main character's name. It makes the new blurb sound like a setting reference rather than a story. Cut 2 of the temporal references and add the character name to provide some reference to the story.

quote:

The end of the Last War bathed the world in nuclear fire. In 2151, <Character name> seeks to join the Outcasts, intrepid explorers that search through the ruins of the Old World in search of lost technology.

This cuts down on terminology that might be unfamiliar to the reader, introduces the reader to main character and gives them a basic motivation and provides context to the one unfamiliar term that cannot be gleaned from context.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

90s Cringe Rock posted:

god loving drat it pirate

really

Just finished reading; I can't think of what this is referring to. Was a cool chapter overall although Niers having a no-kill skill seemed a bit too narratively convenient so that we didn't have to worry about anyone becoming a killer.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Argue posted:

Just finished reading; I can't think of what this is referring to. Was a cool chapter overall although Niers having a no-kill skill seemed a bit too narratively convenient so that we didn't have to worry about anyone becoming a killer.
The technique Geneva uses.

berenzen posted:

Sure, but you don't want to throw out too many Terms in the preamble. That's just a good way to get peoples eyes to glaze over and skip the story. Hook them in with the preamble and introduce other elements of the story later.
I would definitely not cut the phrase "Exclusion Zone" as that poo poo is catnip to some nerds. However, I'm a dork who doesn't write poo poo.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Mother of Learning Arc 1 out on Dec 1 on Kindle: https://www.reddit.com/r/ProgressionFantasy/comments/qw0s9e/mother_of_learning_arc_1_cover_reveal_and_kindle/

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Selkie Myth posted:

Related - I'm getting a bit roasted for my MC's ethics not being exactly the same as what people consider to be "Typically good". Like, Elaine is pretty darn close to pure-driven snow in the ethics department, at least as far as litRPG protags go, but I've been getting quite a lot of flak for Elaine on Patreon going "Hey, body snatchers are people as well, and I shouldn't wholesale massacre them when I see them. It wasn't their fault for being born that way. Now, I don't like them, and if I can find an excuse I'll use it, but I won't wantonly massacre them."

probably just people refighting the animorphs debates about yeerks tbh. i wouldn't worry about it, it's a sign of good moral ambiguity imo

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Selkie Myth posted:

Related - I'm getting a bit roasted for my MC's ethics not being exactly the same as what people consider to be "Typically good". Like, Elaine is pretty darn close to pure-driven snow in the ethics department, at least as far as litRPG protags go, but I've been getting quite a lot of flak for Elaine on Patreon going "Hey, body snatchers are people as well, and I shouldn't wholesale massacre them when I see them. It wasn't their fault for being born that way. Now, I don't like them, and if I can find an excuse I'll use it, but I won't wantonly massacre them."

One of my currently-followed MCs is literally bloodthirsty - it's a character trait and she has to roll to do anything short of straight up overkill.

The other has a bad temper and barely succeeded a self-control check to avoid firing on a group of six people who were of a certain faction, simply because he hates that faction with a passion.

No character is perfect. Not one. I see an unambiguous character and I roll my eyes so loving hard. Another character of mine in another project was an alcoholic with an anger problem and a hosed-up sister who fought in an interdimensional underground fight club to compensate for his own self-hatred. Nobody is loving perfect.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Nettle Soup posted:

RoyalRoad Writeathon 25k+ winners are out.

https://www.royalroad.com/blog/44/writathon-participants-list

Anything on there recommended?

Man that's a lot of LitRPGs/Isekais.

Anyways, I started reading Tori Transmigated and Memoirs of Your Local Small-time Villainess. Both follow the same concept of a woman waking up to find that she's now the villainess of a story. In the former, she a character in an Otome story, in the latter she's an NPC from an open-world fantasy RPG. The story is pretty much the standard; both MCs want to avoid their bad ending. The things is that the story is trying to assert itself. In Tori, this is by having the "good" characters act as if the MC still evil, regardless of what she does. In Memoirs the original character's personality keeps trying to influence the MC.

I'm not sure how long either story can keep going before it starts to get tiring, but in any case, both were fairly fun to read.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

@Kamikaze - don't think I didn't notice what you did during the latest chapter Rob / Diplomacy / Elf / Fiends conversation

Namely that it's very explicitly spelled out a few times that it's not Rob speaking at all.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

tithin posted:

@Kamikaze - don't think I didn't notice what you did during the latest chapter Rob / Diplomacy / Elf / Fiends conversation

Namely that it's very explicitly spelled out a few times that it's not Rob speaking at all.

No comment.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
This Used To Be About Repeatedly Murdering Lola Great Job Mizuki

“What has Alfric gotten the most excited about, in his time here?” asked Verity.

“Um,” said Mizuki. “That stupid wardrobe?”

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TUTBAD 45: holy gently caress lola is even worse of an abuser than i thought! her mind seems to have been irrevocably warped by her ability and she seems wholly unable to comprehend that her actions have consequences.

fuuuuuuck. she gives off such incredible abuser vibes it makes my skin crawl

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 18, 2021

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

90s Cringe Rock posted:

This Used To Be About Repeatedly Murdering Lola Great Job Mizuki
We don't actually know for sure if that happened. It's plausible, yes, but its obvious plausibility could be just part of why Lola would lie about it. Not like anyone can check.

Lola's certainly made for a darker turn in this story. She's gross, but I'm very interested in what tactics she's intending on employing here, it seems like just about any manipulation would just cause the party to tighten further in defense. The party's getting along well, the only big secret left is Verity being God touched or whatever it's called, but that's not the kind of reveal that's gonna piss anyone off.

Edit: next chapter is called Both Sides, eager to see if this means a Lola PoV chapter, maybe of an undone day?

Cicero fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 18, 2021

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Cicero posted:

Lola's certainly made for a darker turn in this story. She's gross, but I'm very interested in what tactics she's intending on employing here, it seems like just about any manipulation would just cause the party to tighten further in defense.

my thinking is that lola is completely flailing just trying to exhaust every single dialogue tree possible to get alfric back on her good side again. The big obstacle in her way, though, is alfric honestly gets lola and what makes her tick, and lola absolutely does not get alfric.

subtext is pretty clear that she truly believes alfric is just like she is deep down inside and he just needs a push to really cut loose. which is basically the exact opposite of everything alfric is like. what really struck me is taht alfric didnt even seem angry, he just seemed fatigued and exhausted. there's absolutely no going back to how things where before lola destroyed his party, and for once in lola's life, this isn't something she can undo.

i don't think she's gonna have an easy time accepting that

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Just stayed up far to late reading Katalepsis, just had to read on until Heather gets home ... and then suddenly the next button is missing ! What ! Why ? How can I have reached the (current) end already ?

What a marvelous story, although I'm sometimes wondering, if things get to emotional and intimate, if I should be reading this at all. Is it a good or a bad sign if a book makes you feel like a dirty old man ?

Guess after the Wandering Inn I got one more thing to support on Patreon. Don't think I can add any other unfinished web novels though, even if there's good stuff out there. The Wandering Inn broke me for a month, I couldn't read any other books anymore after reaching the end. To many characters with unfished stories in my head at once.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Started reading The Last Orellen, it's a solid classic fantasy story that shot up the best rated and rising stars list. The best compliment I can give it is that it doesn't seem like a story that belongs on RR, no numbers, no blue boxes no isekai. Just solid writing and hooked me quickly, only 21 chapters so far though so I burned through them quick and was left wanting more.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tithin posted:

I also noticed this. I'm curious where the Diplomacy stuff is heading. As I think I mentioned in an earlier post on the topic there hasn't really been any indication so far that Diplomacy would ever not act in a way that is respectful of Rob's autonomy, but maybe it's heading somewhere like the distinction between Rob and Diplomacy blurring.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Kitty Cat Kill Sat 17: more like Sabo Cat Kill Hierarchy, am i right????

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

MonikaTSarn posted:

Just stayed up far to late reading Katalepsis, just had to read on until Heather gets home ... and then suddenly the next button is missing ! What ! Why ? How can I have reached the (current) end already ?

What a marvelous story, although I'm sometimes wondering, if things get to emotional and intimate, if I should be reading this at all. Is it a good or a bad sign if a book makes you feel like a dirty old man ?

Guess after the Wandering Inn I got one more thing to support on Patreon. Don't think I can add any other unfinished web novels though, even if there's good stuff out there. The Wandering Inn broke me for a month, I couldn't read any other books anymore after reaching the end. To many characters with unfished stories in my head at once.

Hey, thank you! Always a delight to hear about readers enjoying the story so far. I guess you're probably one of the couple of new patrons I got this weekend? Thanks!

As for feeling like a "dirty old man", don't worry, this story is for everyone who enjoys it; I made a commitment that there's never going to be any sex 'on-screen'. There's a time and a place for erotica and Katalepsis is not that place.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
I finally finished my two month long web serial. And of course I immediately have an idea for the next volume of what was intended to be a standalone. Anyway it's short, it's silly, it's fish on a stick.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/46916/fish-on-a-stick-a-redmist-story

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Halfway through TWI's latest public chapter... The antinium truly are the ultimate jobbers to a hero party. Their veteran soldier is a pallett swap.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

White Chocolate posted:

I finally finished my two month long web serial. And of course I immediately have an idea for the next volume of what was intended to be a standalone. Anyway it's short, it's silly, it's fish on a stick.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/46916/fish-on-a-stick-a-redmist-story

Congrats on finishing a story! Not many authors end up doing that.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Hungry posted:

Hey, thank you! Always a delight to hear about readers enjoying the story so far. I guess you're probably one of the couple of new patrons I got this weekend? Thanks!

As for feeling like a "dirty old man", don't worry, this story is for everyone who enjoys it; I made a commitment that there's never going to be any sex 'on-screen'. There's a time and a place for erotica and Katalepsis is not that place.

Yeah, I just subscribed. Totally worth it.

As for the other comment, it's not about the non-existing sex - it's that sometimes when mental problems and emotions are described well, it becomes very real - and then I feel like I'm spying on somebody very vulnerable by reading their private journal or so. I forgot exactly when I got to this point, think it was when Raine described her life the second time.

It's really well done here, but I've read books ( It's corona-forever-time, Ive read far to much weird poo poo in the last two years) where I felt somehow wrong and exploitative, like a series of werewolf romance novels where each woman had a more hosed up childhood then the next and it all got solved through the power of true mating.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Is it presumptuous to start a wiki prior to even launching? I mean, I realistically need a better place than categories on WordPress to keep my poo poo straight, and I sometimes would rather write articles than story content.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
The only thing I'd be worried about is spoilers, but so long as it's organized and helpful I don't think anyone would complain.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I'd recommend keeping a story bible or a local wiki if you want to keep stuff straight. That way you can keep stuff straight and have spoilers riddled throughout your work without spoiling it for the outside world.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Scrivener or Evernote or similar are pretty much mandatory if you get past a year, but they aren't required to start the process.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I've been using Google docs to keep my notes. The main failure point so far is being too lazy to add stuff to the notes when I introduce a minor character and then having to review my earlier chapters when I want to bring them back for another scene.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

TUTBAD 48: This is a very Alexander Wales chapter, inevitable that he was gonna have one about the ethics of murdering seemingly-sapient creatures in the dungeon so you can take their stuff.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Just randomly trying on various random magic items seems like a good way to get killed. Why can't they wait until they get outside the dungeon to get a cleric to test them?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Peachfart posted:

Just randomly trying on various random magic items seems like a good way to get killed. Why can't they wait until they get outside the dungeon to get a cleric to test them?

Clerics are expensive and sometimes the items bind themselves to whoever is carrying it, so it's best to test them out in dungeon so you don't end up giving your wizard a belt of giant's strength or whatever.

Also he's kinda kill proof.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Peachfart posted:

Alfric suggests doing that almost every time the topic comes up.

Wrong Voter Hanna persistently leads the charge on boldly exploring new depths of self-harm instead. (I really don't like Hanna).

Lone Goat posted:

Clerics are expensive and sometimes the items bind themselves to whoever is carrying it, so it's best to test them out in dungeon so you don't end up giving your wizard a belt of giant's strength or whatever.

Also he's kinda kill proof.

Sometimes items bind themselves to someone in the party at random, regardless of who is carrying it. Although they do seem to bind to whoever is carrying them slightly more often. The effect, if real, of carrying an item, is not large.

He's only kinda kill proof. Chrononauts have two very obvious weaknesses in their immortality, and they can be chained for a guaranteed kill. Chrononauts have a limit on how often they can reset the day. Chrononauts can't reset a day if they're unconscious. So for a guaranteed kill: knock a chrononaut out; wait until after their reset time; and then kill them. They'll auto-reset the day each time you kill them, but only back to still being helpless. Just keep killing them until the day stops resetting. Alfric has shared both weaknesses. I think why he hasn't spelled out the combination is fairly obvious, but he, and other responsible chrononauts, are quick to remind their allies that they aren't actually immortal.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

MonikaTSarn posted:

Yeah, I just subscribed. Totally worth it.

As for the other comment, it's not about the non-existing sex - it's that sometimes when mental problems and emotions are described well, it becomes very real - and then I feel like I'm spying on somebody very vulnerable by reading their private journal or so. I forgot exactly when I got to this point, think it was when Raine described her life the second time.

It's really well done here, but I've read books ( It's corona-forever-time, Ive read far to much weird poo poo in the last two years) where I felt somehow wrong and exploitative, like a series of werewolf romance novels where each woman had a more hosed up childhood then the next and it all got solved through the power of true mating.

While I probably can't say anything to help with the feeling you've described (but I will tell you not to worry), the bolded part is both absolutely incredible and also something I've specifically tried to avoid in my own work!

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Bit of an odd question, but I've been thinking about this for awhile; authors, how would you feel if someone sent you a book cover fanart? One of the series I'm following on RR wrapped up its first arc, and I decided to make some covers for fun. They ended up pretty nice IMO, and I thought about sending it to the author, but it seems a bit like I'd be overreaching. The series' author doesn't really interact with readers much, so I'm not sure how they'd take it.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Narmi posted:

Bit of an odd question, but I've been thinking about this for awhile; authors, how would you feel if someone sent you a book cover fanart? One of the series I'm following on RR wrapped up its first arc, and I decided to make some covers for fun. They ended up pretty nice IMO, and I thought about sending it to the author, but it seems a bit like I'd be overreaching. The series' author doesn't really interact with readers much, so I'm not sure how they'd take it.

I would be incredibly flattered and would never consider this overreaching, readers have sent me all sorts of things. But then again I interact with readers a lot and there's a already a lot of fanart of Katalepsis. Is this story the only thing the author has written? If so, they might not have experienced this before, just might not have a way of processing it or something. I'd still reach out though, it's really gratifying as a writer to know your work inspired somebody else to be creative.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Seems like an ordinary enough thing to me, and people have done cover-fanart for other online books I read.

The fanart shoutout at the end of the most recent Katalepsis was also pretty neat, reminded me to check out the page and see the newer pieces. Hadn't been there for a while.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Narmi posted:

I would be flattered as well, probably trying to give free Patreon access for life or something like that. Especially if I got to use it for future cover art.

I was really loving dumb picking Bumfuck, Utah as my setting. Pretty much everything is along one of the major US or UT highways, which makes it really hard to pick an out-of-the-way town as a sort of Vaes Dothrak for the bandit faction.

That moment when you didn't even realize you were making tiny gunslinging khalasars until you were committed to the idea. :eng99:

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Narmi posted:

I would put it in a planned post and credit the person who made it. Sounds awesome.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Narmi posted:

I'd love it! I'd think of it as "fanart" though, not "Potential cover art". Then again, I spend a looooooooooot on my covers, so I'm in a weird spot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Narmi posted:

I'm not a paranoid lawyer but wouldn't the fact that they didn't sign over the rights to that image like in a professionally commissioned art contract be an issue?