Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

silvergoose posted:

"Wait, the guy who I thought was the pivotal final boss of the book dies *offscreen*???" is one of the best takes I've heard on this one. :3:

Who's the dude who gets stabbed by someone conveniently off-screen like he's Orlando loving Bloom in Midsommer Murders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Who's the dude who gets stabbed by someone conveniently off-screen like he's Orlando loving Bloom in Midsommer Murders?

Asmodean, at the end of FOH, and his murderer is casually dopped into the appendix of AMOL.

Though he's not stabbed.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

CainFortea posted:

This video makes a few references to things past this point in the book, but mostly out of context I think. Makes me laugh every time.

https://i.imgur.com/K2HxLhs.mp4

lol

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jaxyon posted:

Asmodean, at the end of FOH, and his murderer is casually dopped into the appendix of AMOL.

Though he's not stabbed.

Which was also the longest running argument while the series was ongoing because you had Jordan just saying that everything you needed to figure it out was in the books. Which I guess is technically correct but also applies to like 30 different characters who all had means, motive and opportunity to do it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Zore posted:

Which was also the longest running argument while the series was ongoing because you had Jordan just saying that everything you needed to figure it out was in the books. Which I guess is technically correct but also applies to like 30 different characters who all had means, motive and opportunity to do it.

Sanderson said it was literally the first thing he looked up when he got access to RJ's notes.

A true WOT nerd.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaxyon posted:

Sanderson said it was literally the first thing he looked up when he got access to RJ's notes.

A true WOT nerd.

And then he discovered that it was who we'd been saying it was for over 10 years.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jedit posted:

And then he discovered that it was who we'd been saying it was for over 10 years.

You left out the best part: literally the only thing confirming who did it in RJ's notes was a post-it note saying "this is correct" attached to a printout of a fan theory page

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Some of the speculation got pretty wild. I remember people arguing Lanfear or Moiraine did it by blowing one of their *finn requests. Or that Aviendha did it.

The one theory I thought was interesting was that it was Fain, especially since LoC also establishes him in Caemlyn around that time and enough prominent Darkfriends make reference to him its conceivable Asmo knew him. Of course RJ explicitly took him out of the running in an interview.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You left out the best part: literally the only thing confirming who did it in RJ's notes was a post-it note saying "this is correct" attached to a printout of a fan theory page

lmao

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Zore posted:

Some of the speculation got pretty wild. I remember people arguing Lanfear or Moiraine did it by blowing one of their *finn requests. Or that Aviendha did it.

I read the FAQ pretty voraciously back in the day and my conclusion was Lanfear impulsively blowing a wish.

Even if the truth isn't as much fun, I just love that one person* can write a story complex enough to drive that much speculation. It's delightful, and if the TV show even achieves fraction of that it'll be a roaring success.

*mortality notwithstanding.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

for as much as people reacted to The Mother Of Dragons melting a city in the game of thrones show there's like multiple scenarios where there's going to be some wild-rear end events popping off on that same scale if/when the show gets to them, and i can't loving wait

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Just imagining seeing Rand glowing with the access key and letting a huge rear end beam sweep down

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

for as much as people reacted to The Mother Of Dragons melting a city in the game of thrones show there's like multiple scenarios where there's going to be some wild-rear end events popping off on that same scale if/when the show gets to them, and i can't loving wait

i wanna see natrin's barrow get balefired

silvergoose posted:

Just imagining seeing Rand glowing with the access key and letting a huge rear end beam sweep down

yeah this

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Johnny Joestar posted:

That's my only real concern for the later seasons (hoping it makes it there), the budget to make some of the set pieces look good is going to be truly absurd.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Pleads posted:

That's my only real concern for the later seasons (hoping it makes it there), the budget to make some of the set pieces look good is going to be truly absurd.

i suppose it just comes down to knowing when and where to expend budget. we already know rafe has mentioned dumai's wells as like his favorite thing he wants to get to, according to the AMA. for as many jokes as someone might want to make about some random inconsequential encounter looking mildly cheesy they're probably focusing more on the actual, genuine showstoppers in the meanwhile as far as money is concerned.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pleads posted:

Considering the way GoT's budget upscaled over the show's run I wouldn't be too concerned. Like GoT season 1 was mostly a handful of big studio sets plus some forests in Scotland with all the big action sequences happening offscreen. We're already way ahead of that so upscaling from here's going to make for some amazing sequences

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Oh hey Perrin finally shows up in the beginning of Lord of Chaos.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Rarity posted:

Considering the way GoT's budget upscaled over the show's run I wouldn't be too concerned. Like GoT season 1 was mostly a handful of big studio sets plus some forests in Scotland with all the big action sequences happening offscreen. We're already way ahead of that so upscaling from here's going to make for some amazing sequences

Do y'all remember the Hand's Tourney

They could have filmed that poo poo at a Medieval Times and it would have looked higher budget than the backwoods ren fair it ended up looking like

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

CainFortea posted:

This video makes a few references to things past this point in the book, but mostly out of context I think. Makes me laugh every time.

https://i.imgur.com/K2HxLhs.mp4

Lol. Old clothes, balefire.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Rarity posted:

Season 1 of WoT is already at season 7 of GoT budget, is my concern, and the scale right now is miniscule compared to where it goes, especially when Literally Every Army On The Planet is having massive battles across the width and breadth of the land.

Rafe does seem pretty committed to getting things right, but I guess the big thing is getting the series deep enough for Bezos to get pot-committed with his endless money tap to see out the final seasons.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I like WOT show so far but it doesn't feel like they're burning through S7 GoT levels of money.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

The reaction of people who haven't read the books to Rand becoming Darth Rand are gonna be pretty cool, I think

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

hopterque posted:

The reaction of people who haven't read the books to Rand becoming Darth Rand are gonna be pretty cool, I think

It's gonna be quite the journey. "Oh, of course the white guy's the chosen one" "Ok being the chosen one sucks actually" "Jesus Christ Rand ease off the war crimes"

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

hopterque posted:

We already have people making Anakin comparisons!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pleads posted:

Rafe does seem pretty committed to getting things right, but I guess the big thing is getting the series deep enough for Bezos to get pot-committed with his endless money tap to see out the final seasons.

I'm pretty optimistic with how the show and amazon is currently bragging about it, they seem to be doing what they need to do to justify the budget.

Like at this point even if everyone decides they hate it we should get through season 4. And odds are if you start this strong and deliver big moments for people to talk about, viewership will continue to go up.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like season 1 was always guaranteed to be the rockiest in terms of getting people engaged since there's a lot of comparatively dry setup to work through, so it apparently doing this well is nice

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yeah, it's a good start and very promising for some of the dope rear end moments that show up in the first half-dozen books. Keep that momentum rollin'.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Pleads posted:

Yeah, it's a good start and very promising for some of the dope rear end moments that show up in the first half-dozen books. Keep that momentum rollin'.

Yeah 1-6 are super strong books. If they stopped the series at 8 seasons and didn't do the whole story, probably pushing forward the cleansing of Saidin by 1 book would be a good ending.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

CainsDescendant posted:

It's gonna be quite the journey. "Oh, of course the white guy's the chosen one" "Ok being the chosen one sucks actually" "Jesus Christ Rand ease off the war crimes"

Perrin personally chopping off a guy's hands will mirror Eamon Valda S1, that's pretty loving cool

Right about the same time Galad is killing Valda

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

why isn't it 7 yet

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Barreft posted:

why isn't it 7 yet

meditate on the flame and the void and time will pass swiftly, friend

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Even if they do scale things up in terms of budget on the show, you won't see any effects from that until late Season 2 or even Season 3 at the earliest, since they announced over a week ago that Season 2 is already halfway done filming.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Rarity posted:

Well there is this to consider..let's see some of them billions Bezos!

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1466469819440582671

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Xotl posted:

Even if they do scale things up in terms of budget on the show, you won't see any effects from that until late Season 2 or even Season 3 at the earliest, since they announced over a week ago that Season 2 is already halfway done filming.

They could spend more on post-production/CGI. Though I think it looks fine and even great, some people have opinions that it isn't.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gully Foyle posted:

They could spend more on post-production/CGI. Though I think it looks fine and even great, some people have opinions that it isn't.

Some of the shots with the trollocs running have a weird effect on them. I don't know if it's amazon's compression or what. The worst of this is when they cross the shallow river before the crew get to Tarren's Ferry.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Gully Foyle posted:

I've seen a couple of comments that Covid really messed up their post-production stuff. Filming got shut down not once but twice due to Covid restrictions, so I'm honestly surprised that it's as well put together as it has been so far.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Remember how janky the white walkers looked in episode 1 of GoT?

And yeah some of them renaissance fair sets were yikes. Shows like these get better with age.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

MadHat posted:

We already have people making Anakin comparisons!

he makes Anakin look like the child he is. And what's even better is he knows he's being a monster but thinks he has to be.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Soonmot posted:

holy poo poo do the wheel takes crew need to stop referencing harry loving potter. Even when folks follow through and read another loving book, they screw it up

yeah and the taking time to, I mean I don't wanna use the "V S" words but, you don't have to take the time to tell us it is not ok to murder protesters. we know. to be fair you can kind of tell they know when they are being a little much

and stuff like the dude all but gagging before having to read a section where boobs are mentioned. ali will make proud references to how big her own are all the time, why? because boobs are cool!!! it's okay!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

its up!