Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Calenth posted:

It was that he got bogged down (and maybe a little bored with the main storyline). Or at least that's my take, anyway. There's a few reasons I think this:

1) Anyone who talked to him in that time period and asked him about it, he'd talk about how he had more ideas for books than he had time to write them, and then he'd start talking about how he wanted to write the Mat/Tuon "outrigger" novels etc. He didn't need to pad things out; at that point he was printing money regardless and he had plenty of ideas for other things to write. "I feel like padding this out" doesn't fit, but maybe "I'd rather write a bit about Morgase than do another Elayne chapter right now" might fit better. I don't think it was deliberate padding but it might have been distraction.

2) Pretty much every book in the whole series has a basic structure of "things happen at the beginning" "kinda boring middle that sets up the end" "big dramatic ending." It makes sense that the series as a whole would have that same structure also. Good books to kick things off, some relatively humdrum books in the middle to get all the pieces in place for the ending, big cataclysmic ending with fireworks.

There are some other things that may have played into it though. One big one was time pressure. He had The Great Hunt already written when Eye was published. After that it took him about a year or two to write each book, and over time he lost his lead, and during the slog there was sometimes as little as a month total time between "finished draft" and "books in stores." So I suspect the "slog" books just had less editing time.

This doesn't quite fit to my mind -- I really doubt medical bills as such were an issue -- but she *was* having health problems around that time so was probably less able to help with the editing. People make a lot of "lol his wife is his editor" jokes but Harriett is absurdly intelligent and very actively helped with the earlier books and with the last few.

I think this is the most likely explanation. The middles books are a slog but do set us up for the ending and I imagine where not as engaging to write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe the books should have had a chapter on sad warder

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sad warder owned, but I'm not sure it was worth missing the really important scenes of Mat and Rand learning to juggle.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Andoman posted:

I think this is the most likely explanation. The middles books are a slog but do set us up for the ending and I imagine where not as engaging to write.

Yeah the fact that Knife of Dreams got everything back on track and picking up steam points to this. If he'd died with Crossroads as the last book we'd feel differently most likely.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Set builders: You're telling me we have to build another inn??

Can't we just move some tables around idk

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Sad warder owned, but I'm not sure it was worth missing the really important scenes of Mat and Rand learning to juggle.

Ship scenes do be really expensive to film, unfortunately.

Sad warder felt like a weird digression but I think was in there to explain why Lan dumps Nynaeve later in the season. You have to set up the importance of the bond in a really dramatic way or he will look like an rear end in a top hat.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Skipping Rand and Mat’s trippy horror escapades is a travesty. It’s one of the best parts of EotW.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This, but unironically.

TV-Rand's a borderline cypher at this point and I'm worried the non-book audience is going to turn on him when the uninteresting white guy turns out to be the Dragon Reborn.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Sad warder felt like a weird digression but I think was in there to explain why Lan dumps Nynaeve later in the season. You have to set up the importance of the bond in a really dramatic way or he will look like an rear end in a top hat.

Yeah, showing the warder bond stuff is super important since so many plot points in the series revolve around it. The episode makes it pretty clear that it isn't something to take lightly.

Plus, viewing a ton of non-book reader reactions also makes it clear that many people wanted to know more about the bond at the end of episode 4. Many of them listed it as something they wanted to see more of in episode 5.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

TV-Rand's a borderline cypher at this point and I'm worried the non-book audience is going to turn on him when the uninteresting white guy turns out to be the Dragon Reborn.

Yeah, but book Rand was basically also a cypher. "Rand the Bland" basically holds true until at least book 3. I imagine season 2 will be were he will start really developing for the show.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 9, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

This, but unironically.

broke: 2021 is a really weird time to bring "What's The Deal With Men and Women: The Book" to the screen
woke: Let's update WoT by massaging its presentation and show that it's possible to reimagine anything and still be both inclusive and entertaining
bespoke: God dammit now Rand is even more an avatar of white privilege failing upward

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

Skipping Rand and Mat’s trippy horror escapades is a travesty. It’s one of the best parts of EotW.

:hai:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

coathat posted:

Too bad they wasted all that saved time by spending half an episode on sad warder

yeah

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I don't know being chased by crazy eyed dark friend 1000 with a sword seems pretty horrific. Also puking up the embodiment of shadow and having it crawl into Matt's mouth, also very horrific

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Sad warder was raising the stakes for Moiraine and Lan, who we almost lost last episode.

We probably won't get a payoff for it for a couple seasons but nonreaders know now how invested both are in each other. Which will also cause conflict with the Wisdom who just so happens to hate Moiraine.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah I think this. Easier to get across in the books so I guess they needed something more visual. Felt they devoted a bit much time to it as a sideline but maybe it will pay off later.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

They just need to add in a flashback montage of Rand and Mat getting chased by and hiding from various Darkfriends Scooby Doo style.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I must confess to being stoked for episode 6. Everyone who has seen it seems to be making a big deal about it :toot:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Andoman posted:

Yeah I think this. Easier to get across in the books so I guess they needed something more visual. Felt they devoted a bit much time to it as a sideline but maybe it will pay off later.

It was like 14 minutes. Also you'll notice during almost none of that was he not with either lan or nyneave

coathat
May 21, 2007

Eighties ZomCom posted:

They just need to add in a flashback montage of Rand and Mat getting chased by and hiding from various Darkfriends Scooby Doo style.

That would have been good. And they could have added Perrin and Egwene learning about the dying Maidens warning about the Eye of the World.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Haha since finale of season 6 of Game of Thrones.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Which one was that again?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

CainFortea posted:

Church go boom

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

CainFortea posted:

The Winds of Winter

"Cersei executes a plan to deal with her enemies; Arya gets some long-awaited revenge; Jon Snow must make a difficult choice; Daenerys sets sail for Westeros."

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Church go boom reminded me. :). Yes, that was a good one

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hexel posted:

I must confess to being stoked for episode 6. Everyone who has seen it seems to be making a big deal about it :toot:

"Best fantasy show episode since GOT S06E10" is... not a strong endorsement?

Visually impressive, sure, but the show went to absolute poo poo as soon as it surpassed the books.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

There were good eps after s6, like Knight of the Seven Kingdoms, this is pretty high praise imo.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

The Battle of the Bastards and the Winds of Winter are the highest rated episodes on IMDB, so I guess post book material can do well if done right.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i wasn't sure what to make of that screenshot at first since i know little about game of thrones barring maybe the earlier and later stuff in the show, so i have to admit there was a brief moment of 'oh no is it that bad' before people reassured me that it's a good comparison

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Yackity Sax style.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I remember Church Go Boom being a pretty hardcore episode. I am stoked for tonight.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Hexel posted:

The Battle of the Bastards and the Winds of Winter are the highest rated episodes on IMDB, so I guess post book material can do well if done right.

Yeah, the post-book material mostly came apart once they decided to speedrun everything. The parts they gave chance to develop included some strong content.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Yeah, Light of the Seven is one of the big, iconic moments in all of GoT, even it's sandwiched between some of the worst crap in the series. I can't imagine this one being comparable in scope this early on, but I'm definitely stoked.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm pretty sure this is the episode we find out who TDR is, isn't it? Or is that next week?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Sab669 posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the episode we find out who TDR is, isn't it? Or is that next week?

next week

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sab669 posted:

"Best fantasy show episode since GOT S06E10" is... not a strong endorsement?

Visually impressive, sure, but the show went to absolute poo poo as soon as it surpassed the books.

That was a very very good episode.

I haven't been following this thread at all since it moves so fast, but what's the general thread concensus from book-readers? My take is sure, it's not the books, but they're doing a really good job with what they have to work with (namely lack of tons of screen time to show ALL of the braid-tugging).

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Giant book fan take: Very much a fan of the show and the decision to avoid constraining themselves to too many 1:1 scene translations.

There's been a few things where I would have liked to see them do it a little more faithfully, but there's been more changes that I really liked and thought did a great job of conveying the important emotions and overall plot moments given the difference in medium.

They are doing a good job motivating most the characters thus far, with the notable exception of Rand, but that's clearly going to be addressed before the end of the season.

Overall it's been very satisfying to watch the world come to life on the screen. I've gone from trepidation to hope to outright fanboi at this point.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

That was a very very good episode.

I haven't been following this thread at all since it moves so fast, but what's the general thread concensus from book-readers? My take is sure, it's not the books, but they're doing a really good job with what they have to work with (namely lack of tons of screen time to show ALL of the braid-tugging).
I think the thread consensus is that we're really pleased with what we've seen so far, despite quibbling over the details. But we're only 5 in out of 64 episodes and the show hasn't gotten to the "good parts" of the books yet. So it's really still too early to tell for sure.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's hard for me to have a full opinion yet since the season is very much building up to the last couple episodes and we haven't seen either so far

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

MegaZeroX posted:

Yeah, but book Rand was basically also a cypher. "Rand the Bland" basically holds true until at least book 3. I imagine season 2 will be were he will start really developing for the show.

I wouldn't call him a cypher. We spend easily 75% of Eye of the World and 50% of The Great Hunt in his head. It's just that EotW/GH Rand isn't all that interesting. "Gotta protect Egwene", "Gotta get Mat to Camelyn", "Tam is my father" are his major drives through EotW, and "Gotta get the Horn and Dagger back" and "Selene is pretty" are what drives him in TGH. We get a clear picture of a farm kid who's stubborn, loyal (even when it's dangerous as with Dagger Mat, or kinda dumb, as with Selene), and easily impressed by new things that he'd never seen back in his tiny farming village. He's a well defined, if somewhat boring, character.

The thing I do agree with, though, is that EotW/GH Rand pretty much dies during The Dragon Reborn while he's mostly off-page and is replaced by self-confident, scheming, keeps his plans to himself Rand, which lasts until the trauma of his imprisonment at the end of Lord of Chaos ramps up his paranoia and sends him sliding down the slippery slope towards Darth Rand who takes over in The Gathering Storm thanks to a hearty kick in the rear end by Semiraghe. Then Zen Rand is is reborn on Dragonmount and lasts through the rest of the books, completing his rise, fall, and rise again arc.

What I'm hoping is that they'll be able to make the transitions believable. Did anyone really buy the transition from Daenerys the Breaker of Chains to Daenerys the Burner of Cities? No, because they made the switch too quickly without showing enough steps along the way. While necessary for TV, the danger in shifting so much of the focus away from "The Rand Show" to "It's an ensemble, yo" is that if you skip too much of Rand's development, you end up with season eight Daenerys, and no one wants that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

jng2058 posted:

I wouldn't call him a cypher. We spend easily 75% of Eye of the World and 50% of The Great Hunt in his head. It's just that EotW/GH Rand isn't all that interesting. "Gotta protect Egwene", "Gotta get Mat to Camelyn", "Tam is my father" are his major drives through EotW, and "Gotta get the Horn and Dagger back" and "Selene is pretty" are what drives him in TGH. We get a clear picture of a farm kid who's stubborn, loyal (even when it's dangerous as with Dagger Mat, or kinda dumb, as with Selene), and easily impressed by new things that he'd never seen back in his tiny farming village. He's a well defined, if somewhat boring, character.

Show Rand still has "Gotta protect Matt as he is clearly a male channeler going insane" and "I have to reunite with Egwene." It just so happens that these, like book Rand, are rather generic/uninteresting, and is interpreted by the audience as the everyman of the show.