Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Book Rand - Famous for attacking women.

Also, he drew a sword on Moiraine and Lan. How is that the act of a coward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lan instantly disarming him was good lol

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Book Rand - Famous for attacking women.

Also, he drew a sword on Moiraine and Lan. How is that the act of a coward?

He's been super quick to draw that sword a bunch of times too, like when he first met Loial.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
I don't think they're keeping the whole won't harm a woman angle for any of the boys from EF, considering that whole thing came from their rural traditional upbringing that doesn't seem exist in the show, at least for now.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also it's insanely easy to heap the guilt onto rand in general even if they don't do that particular detail. they can also do the maidens of the spear poo poo normally, too, because they're going to be annoyed at him trying to keep them from fighting for him as it is and that ties heavily into aiel culture and them viewing him as 'belonging' to their sect anyways

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

love it when someone cruises in extremely mad about changes and then immediately reveals that they have no idea what they're talking about

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Personally, they can do whatever they want with the plot if I get more of this

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Wheel of time has always been an anime

MOIRAINE! Find me five teenagers! With attitude!

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Pyromancer posted:

Ah yes, a katana girl, way more dangerous than a trolloc twice her size and armed with a huge and poisoned cleaver. Wheel of time: The Anime.
Oh boy, speaking of that Trolloc, don't you just love it when a Blademaster has more trouble 2v1 than a blacksmith and his wife have 2v2?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Im just sad because tiny leaf also introduces the concept of chora trees in the first place, which is pretty important to Cairhein, the Aiel war, etc. I also just want to see what they'd look like :(

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Episode 6 thoughts

On Mat:
- The healing looked amazing and gross and great. Moiraine was perfect here, I love when she loses her poo poo at these ignorant village idiots.
- I don't know why a lot of people are sure that this is the full healing. Moiraine still thinks theres a connection and if Mat touches the dagger again theres trouble ahead. I think this will be a hook for next season.
- Mat getting left behind is awkward yes, but so obviously a casualty of the actor leaving the show that I give it a pass. We dont know the circumstances of it or the state of filming. This might have been the best they could do. Sucks but the wheel weaves as the wheel wills.

On Siuan/Moiraine
- Love this relationship and the way it takes book characterization and just makes it more. We get them working behind the scenes, the introduction of Gitara's prophecy, the uncertainty and fear of getting it wrong. And just the love between these two is beautiful.
- The ter'angreal I think let's them access a dream shard or something similar. In the hut you can see this soft light outside when it is supposedly night. Really makes me think of TAR.
- Using the oath rod to enforce harsh penance is an interesting addition. I mostly like it? It's not quite like when the Black Ajah hunters use it since in this case it is done in the Hall in front of everyone, not secretly. Plus it is interesting how the rod is being used in a way that is similar to the Age of Legend purpose without them knowing. And the oath that Moiraine swears isn't just fealty, it's a specific oath for specific conditions. Yes in the books, they explain that Aes Sedai can't break sworn oaths due to the First oath, but the show doesn't have time to get into that.
- Moiraine being exiled feels like a major change but when you think about it, it's not like she ever goes back to the Tower in the books anyways. Not that it would be safe to do so once the coup is done. Plus this really highlights the length to which she will go one her quest for the Dragon.

On other Tower stuff:
- Poor Maigan, I dont think her future is bright if she goes out west to investigate.
- I'm liking the simplified AS politics so far. A bit obvious but it's working.
- Liandrin continues to be amazing. Moiraine has no time for her poo poo.

On the Waygate:
- Yeah I do wish this was more like the book Waygate.
- That said, it is easy enough to get around any issues. The shadow has channelers to get Trollocs through. Maybe you dont need to channel the exit. Ogier could easily have had ter'angreal that are used to open gates. I think Loial will be needed for the guiding anyways.
- My biggest issue (and this will likely be solved at least a bit next ep) is that Loial wasn't nearly reluctant enough. I wanted him to be moaning about how they'll all die entering the ways. Then maybe Mat staying is a bit less awkward.

On the Eye/Shayol Ghul:
- I do think this is a misdirection from Ishamael.
- But the Eye could be at Shayol Ghul still and nothing lost.
- I love not knowing what is gonna happen exactly. Is the Eye still the pool of saidin? Is the horn gonna be there? Is the Green Man? Will there be other Forsaken or just Ishamael? What role will they play? How will Rand be revealed as the DR?

Overall a good episode, solid 8.5/10. Probably second favourite after 4 for me. The show still feels rushed but that's just the nature of trying to do this story in the time Amazon gave them.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Skyl3lazer posted:

Im just sad because tiny leaf also introduces the concept of chora trees in the first place, which is pretty important to Cairhein, the Aiel war, etc. I also just want to see what they'd look like :(

No substitute for seeing it in the show, obviously, but avendesora leaves are one of the chapter icons in the books:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

No substitute for seeing it in the show, obviously, but avendesora leaves are one of the chapter icons in the books:

Oh I more mean the trees as a whole. 100 foot high perfectly symmetrical trees with (if I recall) metallic leaves?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I feel like the whole Oath Rod thing was just for non-readers to show they're magically bound to the oaths they take.

IIRC Moraine did tell this to the kids at the ferry, and Valda said a little bit about how they can't lie, so I could see complaints of redundancy but I think it was fine. Of all the things for people to get their underwear bundled up over this is one I just don't get.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Gully Foyle posted:

On the Eye/Shayol Ghul:
- I do think this is a misdirection from Ishamael.
- But the Eye could be at Shayol Ghul still and nothing lost.
- I love not knowing what is gonna happen exactly. Is the Eye still the pool of saidin? Is the horn gonna be there? Is the Green Man? Will there be other Forsaken or just Ishamael? What role will they play? How will Rand be revealed as the DR?
If the Eye is at Shayol Ghul, how in the god drat monkey gently caress is that pool of Saidin still pure? That's stupid. Probably a misdirect though, but an annoying one.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm wondering now if they plan to cut the Horn of Valere altogether and focus on the drive to the Last Battle.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

The ter'angreal explained.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

RandomReader posted:

If the Eye is at Shayol Ghul, how in the god drat monkey gently caress is that pool of Saidin still pure? That's stupid. Probably a misdirect though, but an annoying one.

Pretty sure this is just unreliable narrator plot device.

"An unreliable narrator is an untrustworthy storyteller, most often used in narratives with a first-person point of view. The unreliable narrator is either deliberately deceptive or unintentionally misguided"

They've made much of how old the prophecies are and what do we even know and believe about these things anyway.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Hexel posted:

I really don't like this habit of "lets stuff world details into bonus features". If it's important enough to drive the plot (like, what the deal with the Dragon is) then it needs to be in the show. And if it's not, then I don't care.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I really don't like this habit of "lets stuff world details into bonus features". If it's important enough to drive the plot (like, what the deal with the Dragon is) then it needs to be in the show. And if it's not, then I don't care.

The important stuff is in the show lol. The bonuses are just that, bonuses. You don't need to specifically know "this is a ter'angreal, they use the power to do specific blah blah blah." You just see on screen "Moiraine and Siuan both have a magic hookup device."

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Hexel posted:

Yeah I don't love this tbh, beyond the issues of plot not on the show. It implies there's a pair of terangreal that can be bound to a location and allow travel between all 3, imagine how loving powerful that would be. Like really, they wouldnt be using those to project power across the entire world, allowing AS to move across the continent at will, instantly? No, we instead keep them secret to gently caress on the DL.

You have to invent even more headcanon to imagine why they'd be using them so stupidly.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yeah I don't love this tbh, beyond the issues of plot not on the show. It implies there's a pair of terangreal that can be bound to a location and allow travel between all 3, imagine how loving powerful that would be. Like really, they wouldnt be using those to project power across the entire world, allowing AS to move across the continent at will, instantly? No, we instead keep them secret to gently caress on the DL.

You have to invent even more headcanon to imagine why they'd be using them so stupidly.

This is exactly how virtually every Aes Sedai we see in the books deals with objects of power though, they squirrel them away for their own purposes. Like, cmon buddy it's not a stretch lol.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

better than the weak last week's episode. and this one didn't have many scenes from the book, so it felt less rushed. the thing where they combined the eye and mount doom felt a bit weird, but the scene where moiraine complained about the prophecies' inaccuracies explained it. i take it that the fish shack was one of those dream plane things. and i guess that they combined waygates with the other gate thing. smart move, there's no need for so many different kinds of magical roads. they should combine the different travelling spells too

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm done with wheel takes. The first chunk of the latest on episode 5 is saying how great it is that buisness people have a say in how art gets made and it reminds me of how annoying relentlessly joyless leftist takes on media is bad and exhausting, it's still better than anything a liberal has to say.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

This is exactly how virtually every Aes Sedai we see in the books deals with objects of power though, they squirrel them away for their own purposes. Like, cmon buddy it's not a stretch lol.

Show watchers: magic lady uses a magic door

Book Nerds: BUT WHY?! HOW?! I COULD RULE THE WORLD WITH THIS

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

So: Moiraine was ordered to swear fealty to the Amyrlin Seat. Instead she swore a personal oath of fealty to Siuan, and couched it in terms that would allow her to violate that oath if she ever considered Siuan to no longer be as strong or determined. She did this in front of the entire Hall of Sitters, the most politically savvy women in the Tower, and not a single one of them told her to stay to the script despite all being very well aware of how an Aes Sedai can twist words. What the gently caress?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Jedit posted:

I'm wondering now if they plan to cut the Horn of Valere altogether and focus on the drive to the Last Battle.

It doesn't really do a whole lot that I remember besides be a McGuffin that could easily be something else. The scenes where it actually gets blown are great but would also be really expensive to film well.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I definitely enjoy this show more with it being many years since I read the books, so I'm not flipping out over changed details. And it seems like the showrunners do really love these books and are being very deliberate about how they do things.

Mat staying behind might be an actor thing, but honestly it kind of makes him look the most sane. Just got evil dagger curse out of me, would rather not follow you into the evil portal. Makes more sense than anyone else staying behind.

Episode was good, but I think the hype for it was mostly from people excited by the representation and/or shippers.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jedit posted:

So: Moiraine was ordered to swear fealty to the Amyrlin Seat. Instead she swore a personal oath of fealty to Siuan, and couched it in terms that would allow her to violate that oath if she ever considered Siuan to no longer be as strong or determined. She did this in front of the entire Hall of Sitters, the most politically savvy women in the Tower, and not a single one of them told her to stay to the script despite all being very well aware of how an Aes Sedai can twist words. What the gently caress?

Gee. I wonder if maybe this will come up again in the future maybe perhaps.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Soonmot posted:

I think I'm done with wheel takes. The first chunk of the latest on episode 5 is saying how great it is that buisness people have a say in how art gets made and it reminds me of how annoying relentlessly joyless leftist takes on media is bad and exhausting, it's still better than anything a liberal has to say.

Ali literally works in TV production and they're both aware enough of the realities of said TV production to understand the way the money people are important to the product because this is a commercial product at the end of the day. What a weird thing to whine about.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

CainFortea posted:

What's even the point of a weekly episode discussion thread if every rebuttal is "Wait until the season/series is over :smugdog:"

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Jedit posted:

She spoke the last bit louder, showing that the bit to Siuan was said quietly enough only they could hear it. It's not like anyone was close enough to hear, and they wouldn't think to try and listen in for changes from two women who they think really don't like each other.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Ali literally works in TV production and they're both aware enough of the realities of said TV production to understand the way the money people are important to the product because this is a commercial product at the end of the day. What a weird thing to whine about.

:emptyquote:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CainFortea posted:

Who cares about the future? It requires every one of the most senior members of the Tower to be a loving idiot, right now. You can't even spin it as them letting sisters disobey the Amyrlin while receiving penance to show how weak Siuan is, because Moiraine swearing an oath to the woman rather than the office works directly against them if they do move to depose Siuan.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Jedit posted:

So: Moiraine was ordered to swear fealty to the Amyrlin Seat.

Re: your main point I think we are asked to assume that Moiraine is whispering and the sitters can't hear her even though that seems borderline implausible. I almost thought it was a dream sequence tbh, but, well, it's whatever. I am willing to allow the writers leeway here.

But I want to go in on this bit because it's not actually an oath of fealty? Like, Siuan calls it one, but it's really not. The wording she offers Moiraine is

quote:

By the Light and my hope of salvation and rebirth, I, Moiraine Sedai, swear to iobey the judgement of the Amyrlin Seat, and never return 'til she calls me home, or may the Creator's face turn from me, and darkness consume my soul.

Which is. An oath to abide by her sentence. Not fealty.

Moiraine's version could be read as fealty, but I'm confused as to why Siuan called hers fealty. Cause it's not, and the sitters would poo poo themselves it half if it was.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I haven't listened to the episode, but if they're slobbin' Amazon's knob I could see that being, uh, grating.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Mat staying behind might be an actor thing, but honestly it kind of makes him look the most sane

He spends a few books wanting and trying to walk away from Rand. Granted it is once he knows he's the DR but whatever. Acceleration.

There was a bunch of book poo poo that happened this episode:

1. Siuan introduced with backstory
2. Logain sentenced to live and not die.
3. Siuan's covert collusion with Moiraine revealed
4. Moiraine juggles the E5 to protect them from tower politics.
5. Mat gets dagger relief
6. They get pointed to The Eye*
7. The E5 are reunited and are on their way

*In the books: Loial warns Moiraine of a threat to the Eye of the World, a threat independently corroborated by a story heard by Perrin and Egwene while among the Tuatha'an and by the dreams of Rand, Mat, and Perrin. Moiraine decides that in order to reach the Eye of the World in time to stop the Dark One, they must take the Ways.

In the show it's simply a Siuan dream

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The more I mull on it, the less bothered I am by the mechanical changes they made in this last episode. As a book reader they really stand out, but to anyone just watching I doubt they'd think twice about any of it and it all functions in a way that makes sense with what we've been presented. The show has also done a really good job of justifying and explaining a lot of that shortly there after.

The oath rod stuff is still very weird to me, but it seems like a very obvious setup for a plot point later where Eladia wants to recall her, but can't because Moiraine changed the wording to be specific to Suian (which will be doubly frustrating for her when Suian escapes and she can't compulsion/torture her to order her return).

Gonna continue to give it the benefit of the doubt in that regard, I still think the actors are mostly killing it.

Very excited for all the action we should be getting in the next two episodes, although it really makes me wonder where they will be able to fit the trailer sequence that appeared to be Egwene passing the accepted test coming out of the pool dripping in the colors of the stoles of the Aes Sedai.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 10, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm pretty certain that Moiraine and Siuan were meeting in TAR since they had white out transitions when the scenes started and ended. Plus Moiraine's clothing changed from a white shift to a red/brown armless robe thing after they get down. Plus plus the house they meet in looked like Siuan's childhood home. Plus plus plus it's a good way to subtlety introduce one of the more complicated aspects of the story.

My biggest issue with the episode is the change to the waygate. I just want to know what the logic in the writers room is, like it changes a number of story points down the road for no reason. Fain can't follow them in the ways if you need to channel to open them. Perrin can't travel back to the Two Rivers if you need to channel to open them. I know you can write around this or change something else but overall it just seems another pointless change that really adds nothing.

Is it next Thursday yet??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RandomReader posted:

Oh boy, speaking of that Trolloc, don't you just love it when a Blademaster who has not swung a sword in 20 yearshas more trouble 2v1 than a blacksmith who has literal plot armor and his blacksmith wife have 2v2?

ftfy