Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm pretty certain that Moiraine and Siuan were meeting in TAR since they had white out transitions when the scenes started and ended. Plus Moiraine's clothing changed from a white shift to a red/brown armless robe thing after they get down. Plus plus the house they meet in looked like Siuan's childhood home. Plus plus plus it's a good way to subtlety introduce one of the more complicated aspects of the story.
Bonus material says that it's a real place in Tear though.

Eat a dick, the real Tam killed 4 Trollocs by himself when 2 squads of them busted into his home, led them off into the forest, and made his way back to his son with only a scratch that magically festered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RandomReader posted:

Eat a dick, the real Tam killed 4 Trollocs by himself when 2 squads of them busted into his home, led them off into the forest, and made his way back to his son with only a scratch that magically festered.

There is no real tam. He's a character in a story.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

the real tam tucks me into bed at night and reads me a story

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

buffalo all day posted:

the real tam tucks me into bed at night and reads me a story

Maybe the real Tam is the blademasters we find along The Ways.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

How are u posted:

I haven't listened to the episode, but if they're slobbin' Amazon's knob I could see that being, uh, grating.

They basically say that studios will mandate things and go 'we want this' and the show producers have to deliver that in order to get the show made. You can argue about the sanctity of the art vs the money but the reality is that Amazon is paying for a certain kind of show and if Rafe wants to make Wheel of Time TV he's gotta work within those restraints. If anything they are way too slobbery over the writing, like I think it's good TV but they are really generous with the platitudes and give lots of praise where it might not be warranted but they're approaching it as industry people so I feel like that might just go with being so close to the production side of things in general.

RandomReader posted:

Bonus material says that it's a real place in Tear though.

TAR is a reflection of the real world so these statements don't necessarily contradict each other!

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 10, 2021

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
The using of the oath rod made the scene give off strong marriage vow vibes.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

tam is real, and strong, and he beat up the kids bullying me at school before chopping their heads off with his magic katana

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I didn't really think ep 6 lived up to the hype. I'm starting to feel less invested in this show as time goes on tbh.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

It is always interesting to hear what non-book readers think, since I think it shows the bias of bookreaders and what normal people will find is weird.

For this episode, I've heard several times from non-bookreaders thought Matt and the dagger stuff was rushed, but for book readers, that was about the same speed as the book.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Huh what? The dagger stuff isn't resolved until book 3 for mats sake, definitely felt rushed to me.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

Huh what? The dagger stuff isn't resolved until book 3 for mats sake, definitely felt rushed to me.

I don't think it's resolved, just paused.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

The books basically fixed it suddenly after they met in Camelyn, there had to be second fix, but when I read it, it wasn't really a big deal after Moraine did her temporary fix. And then, it is still a sudden offscreen fix in TDR. Its basically done after Camelyn.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Definitely some authentic robert jordan Lite BDSM vibes in the interplay of power dynamics between Siuan and Moiraine, imo

Overall this was the first episode where I really felt the time crunch

Most of the individual moments I liked, but there was a certain awkward "wait, only two episodes to go, better hurry up into yon waygate" vibe throughout

Moiraine and Egwene's awkward convo about perrin's wolf business was a good example

Rosamund Pike's "we don't have time to unpack that right now" face is pretty powerful, is what I'm saying

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 10, 2021

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Also I found Mat staying behind intriguing at first, then lame after i remembered they're changing his actor and were probably making concessions to that

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

MegaZeroX posted:

The books basically fixed it suddenly after they met in Camelyn, there had to be second fix, but when I read it, it wasn't really a big deal after Moraine did her temporary fix. And then, it is still a sudden offscreen fix in TDR. Its basically done after Camelyn.
I thought there was a whole bunch of stuff about the dagger, because Faine wants it. Doesn't he steal it at once point? I can't remember. Anyways it's still a thing instead of the nothingburger it seems to have been in the show.
I suppose they might bring it back but then again they would have a hard time sensibly explaining what happens, given it was taken off him whilst he was in Tar Valon not Caemlyn.

Anyways, by far not the worst thing about the episode.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Rarity posted:

I mean, there's a huge number of Black Ajah who would have been available and their whole deal is they don't want anyone to know they even exist. An Aes Sedai committing rampant slaughter would slightly ruin that. And at that point the Dark One's forces had no idea Moiraine and Lan were going to be there so they would have figured a bunch of Trollocs and one Fade would be more than enough to handle a bunch of sheepherders

Yeah. This makes sense. There is a limited amount of black ajah. It also makes it easier to understand why trollocs aren't just pouring out of waygates and slaughtering everything in sight. I'm ok with the change after sleeping on it.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Of the two ter’angreal paintings, one is of a woman in the white tower and the other is of what looks like a river in Tear. So I’d buy that they’re meant to be literally for Traveling between those two locations.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

MegaZeroX posted:

mat almost dies in caemlyn, then moiraine saves him, then i think he almost dies in fal dara, the group of aes sedai including siuan save him, then he wastes away and almost dies at the end of TGH, he's taken to the white tower in a stretcher, and then he's saved finally in book 3. frankly im praying for them to wrap up this dagger poo poo so we can get to cool, fun, mat

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Pyromancer posted:

Ah yes, a katana girl, way more dangerous than a trolloc twice her size and armed with a huge and poisoned cleaver. Wheel of time: The Anime.

You should hang out with Suian's father in the fingers of the dragon with bait like this lol

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The whole Mat with the dagger story is pretty boring anyway until it comes to Padan Fain stealing the dagger. Otherwise its just Mat acting sickly for 3 books so resolving that earlier and giving us interesting Mat is better than having Mat Languishing about for 3 seasons.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jedit posted:

Who cares about the future? It requires every one of the most senior members of the Tower to be a loving idiot, right now. You can't even spin it as them letting sisters disobey the Amyrlin while receiving penance to show how weak Siuan is, because Moiraine swearing an oath to the woman rather than the office works directly against them if they do move to depose Siuan.

And objecting would require them to admit they planned to depose Siuan.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

:master:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

They would literally be demanding that Moiraine obey the Amyrlin Seat to the letter. How is that an admission that they plan to depose Siuan?

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

No, it would require them to think it's inappropriate for the Amerlyn seat to have a sister swear total obedience to her personally.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jedit posted:

They would literally be demanding that Moiraine obey the Amyrlin Seat to the letter. How is that an admission that they plan to depose Siuan?

Because it would be raising the objection that siuan and the amyrlin could be different people. The Amyrlin sits for life, and Siuan is young and in good health.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I saw an interesting theory that maybe the dude Liandrin has squirreled away is the guy from the E1 cold open.

Maybe she's collecting men who can channel to turn into new dreadlords.We never actually see him gentled just bound with weaves of air.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the point of the oath rod scene is for them to get gay married

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Is this our first shot of the Stone of Tear?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Looks like there was just an interview with Daniel Henney

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

RandomReader posted:

I guess don't watch the show I don't know what to tell you

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Because it would be raising the objection that siuan and the amyrlin could be different people. The Amyrlin sits for life, and Siuan is young and in good health.

Considering that in the books Siuan was raised to the stole after the Tower went through three Amyrlins in less than a decade, that argument doesn't hold up. They could have immediately pointed out that Moiraine's oath no longer binds her if Siuan dies. There is nothing at all in that oath which would stop Moiraine having Siuan assassinated - and the two of them have done everything in their power to make everyone else think that they're enemies.

Even leaving that aside, there is still the matter of Moiraine being allowed to flaunt her instructions during a penance when every single one of those women knows the importance of wording.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

quote:

The Ways, they’re scary as hell. They built an entire set on a stage the size of a football field and they built the Ways. So it’s all practical. They built black stone pathways that sort of wound around, and we spent eight days shooting on this set, and I hated the Ways by the end of the eight days, trust me. But it was so much fun, and I mean, you’ve read the books, so you know what lurks.

oh dang

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
"You've read the books, so you know what the show is going to do" is starting to have a lot less meaning as we go.

Show is still good though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Very excited for all the action we should be getting in the next two episodes, although it really makes me wonder where they will be able to fit the trailer sequence that appeared to be Egwene passing the accepted test coming out of the pool dripping in the colors of the stoles of the Aes Sedai.

That's a deleted scene from the first ep, it's the Women's Circle pool in the Two Rivers

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Rarity posted:

That's a deleted scene from the first ep, it's the Women's Circle pool in the Two Rivers

#ReleaseTheJudkinsCut

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Johnny Joestar posted:

the point of the oath rod scene is for them to get gay married
That doesn't make it good.

RC Cola posted:

I guess don't watch the show I don't know what to tell you
Nah, I enjoy hate watching it. It's got the right mix of contempt for the source material for me to be mad about it, but it's just okay enough on it's own merits that it's not physically painful to sit through an episode.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That's lucky as hell, having managed to dodge all the adaptations with actual contempt for the source material that THIS is the your bar for that description. No I, Robot, Last man on earth, foundation.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

#ReleaseTheJudkinsCut

Absolutely this, give me those LotR extended edition-length episodes Amazon!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thought this was a great episode. The Ajah costumes are incredible. I love how they're consistent with the characteristics of the Ajah (low-cut for greens, etc), but also how each sister of the same Ajah wear completely different outfits.

Am I just bad at remembering, or did Moraine and Suine really smash in the books? My son (book-reader) and I were both like "uhhhhhh" when they kissed. We didn't remember that at all.

The waygates are whatever. Totally fine with them. I hope they don't combine them with portal stones though, but I guess it's possible so we don't have 4 worlds on a time-limited TV series (real world, TAM, ways, whatever the world is they go to with portal stones). The short teaser they showed of inside the ways looked loving awesome and I can't wait til next episode to see them.

I don't really have any big complaints about the episode, or even the show in general. I'm really enjoying it all, and glad I can finally visually see the story, even if it is rushed to fit into 8 episodes. The changes they've made so far are perfectly fine IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

RandomReader posted:

That doesn't make it good.

Nah, I enjoy hate watching it. It's got the right mix of contempt for the source material for me to be mad about it, but it's just okay enough on it's own merits that it's not physically painful to sit through an episode.

Contempt is a very strong word.

But yeah, these guys signed on to adapt the books because they hate them. Rosamund Pike hates then so much she's doing the audio books.