Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I am a pessimistic idealist and that's why I think we should improve society somewhat and go on about it constantly, even though it's probably impossible

My anti-vaxx, covid-denying, conspiracy theorist father is an avowed and vocal optimist who is nihilistically cynical and believes that even trying to improve society somewhat is the first step to gulags

So yeah, very astute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

mystes posted:

I'm fed up with capitalism so it must be about to collapse imminently, a thought that definitely nobody in CSPAM or this thread has ever had.

you feeling okay, bud?

Serf
May 5, 2011

euphronius posted:

you don’t understand . Chris Hayes’ personal assistant has put in multiple hours arranging different school options for his kids . he’s very worn out

its always so weird to learn that these psychos and freaks have kids. like the fact that elon musk has 6 kids was mind-blowing for me. not only did he convince someone to let him reproduce, it seems to have imparted no wisdom to him at all

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

this guy just wants an excuse to bomb China though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Kylaer posted:

I've never said anything of the sort. When a poster asked "why covid, why now," the answer is because it was being deliberately studied, almost certainly by use of gain of function research, and someone got careless with their safety measures in the lab. There is nothing unusual about scientific research killing researchers and others. The only thing that makes covid exceptional is that it managed to propagate into a worldwide pandemic. Lab work resulting in death has happened countless times and should surprise no-one. Pushing the margins of science is inherently dangerous.

It wasn't a bioweapon. It wasn't a deliberate release. It was just yet another human fuckup in a long, long line of human fuckups when it comes to working with lethal materials.

10 CHINESE MUST DIE FOR EVERY AMERICAN WHO HAS DIED! WE HAVE NUKES! WE MUST SHOW THAT YOUNG COMMUNIST NATION WHO IS BOSS!

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Kylaer posted:

It wasn't a bioweapon. It wasn't a deliberate release.

:wrong:

bill gates pushed the button the moment he got word that his buddy jeff was suicided.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1YpKkZaYpbjxj?t=JpfHxwpG0UnR9yEIwoZN3w&s=09

Boris press conference. He said omicron is showing a 2 day doubling rate in some parts of england.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Kylaer posted:

I've never said anything of the sort. When a poster asked "why covid, why now," the answer is because it was being deliberately studied, almost certainly by use of gain of function research, and someone got careless with their safety measures in the lab. There is nothing unusual about scientific research killing researchers and others. The only thing that makes covid exceptional is that it managed to propagate into a worldwide pandemic. Lab work resulting in death has happened countless times and should surprise no-one. Pushing the margins of science is inherently dangerous.

It wasn't a bioweapon. It wasn't a deliberate release. It was just yet another human fuckup in a long, long line of human fuckups when it comes to working with lethal materials.

this is silly because covid was later found to have been in italy six months or more before china alerted the world to wuhan.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Mr Hootington posted:

CHINA MUST PAY

It's so funny to me because like, let's assume for the sake of the argument that China is somehow culpable. Let's go a step further, let's pretend that China deliberately created and unleashed the plague for nefarious reasons.
That information would be useful and require acting on, yes, but not now. Let's look at an analogy; you awake in the middle of the night to find your home ablaze. Finding out how and why your home caught fire so that you could prevent it in the future, and if it was arson find out who did it and bring them to justice, is of course a reasonable and necessary thing. But not right now. Right now, the only sane thing to do is to focus on putting out the fire.

I don't care how this fire started right now. When it's out, then we can talk about whatever insane nonsense the arson conspiracists want to talk about.

I mean, I know I asked earlier about how/why this is happening now, but I mean like, from the perspective of a policy maker who can actually do something about the fire. I don't want anyone in congress focusing on how COVID got started, I want them focusing on loving stopping it.

Put out the fire, then we can talk about what idiot left the oven on.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

HiroProtagonist posted:

this is silly because covid was later found to have been in italy six months or more before china alerted the world to wuhan.

does anybody have a recent source for this now that the initial phase has been well-studied?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Serf posted:

its always so weird to learn that these psychos and freaks have kids. like the fact that elon musk has 6 kids was mind-blowing for me. not only did he convince someone to let him reproduce, it seems to have imparted no wisdom to him at all

the wisdom of parenthood isn’t imparted on you when you can just pay strangers to look after your children

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

Mainstream culture, in the US at least, seem to not understand that sometimes things can change forever for the worse.

but i was told things only get better

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Atrocious Joe posted:

Mainstream culture, in the US at least, seem to not understand that sometimes things can change forever for the worse.

It's baffling since I grew up during the societal changes around Columbine and 9/11. Both were clear inflection points where everything got worse. How did some people not notice?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Louisgod posted:

aww poor liberals, doing the absolute bare minimum and expecting that to solve our problems didn't work and they can't ignore the pandemic like they do other societal ills.

given how much of blue maga's playbook comes from copying from red maga i expect ignoring it to shift to denial

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Boris press conference. He said omicron is showing a 2 day doubling rate in some parts of england.

the sign language top notch on this broadcast

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Serf posted:

i love this idea of being "fed up" with covid

i've been fed up with capitalism for my entire life but the poo poo ain't going away!

As a chronic illness haver, I would like to see these people try to deal with a chronic illness that permeates every single facet of your existence and is utterly inescapable, forever :allears:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
What's that saying about 'this year was an average year, worse than last year, but better than next year"

Serf
May 5, 2011

meet girls at the store posted:

As a chronic illness haver, I would like to see these people try to deal with a chronic illness that permeates every single facet of your existence and is utterly inescapable, forever :allears:

i get fed up with having to wear shorts all the time just so i have easy access to my prosthetic leg when it starts to get full of sweat. hell i get tired of having to stand on one leg in the shower. but being tired of it hasn't made my foot grow back

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm sure this won't happen in the good ol' U-S-of-A. The virus fears our freedoms. It wouldn't dare.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So we just got some 7500 series half mask respirators. Which filters do we need for covid? Just the highest possible particulate filter? I assume that will also help in smoggy days and wildfire season right?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

What's that saying about 'this year was an average year, worse than last year, but better than next year"

https://twitter.com/juliaioffe/status/1310531559657803776?s=20

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Andenno posted:

It's baffling since I grew up during the societal changes around Columbine and 9/11. Both were clear inflection points where everything got worse. How did some people not notice?

poo poo has been horrible for people in America forever

it’s now also getting bad for middle class white people

capital has moved beyond the petty confines of representative government so it’s all downhill

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, most of the worst information is coming from relatively reliable sources.

Anyone who's followed climate change news for anyone length of time knows the deal, though. Lots of subject matter experts will reflexively avoid talking about negative information or try to focus on positives. Some of them have financial motivations, but a lot of times it's clearly just optimism/normalcy bias at work. I'm beginning to think the effect is even worse with academics because they've convinced themselves that they're viewing the situation objectively and aren't subject to the same biases as everyone else.

Chise also kind of seems to be a grifter though which is sad

Also if you sound too negative and appear in the news the Daily Mail will go through your bins and put pictures of your children in the paper.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

good news, have you heard about covid-19?

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

just talking with my mom yesterday

her: they say its fast but its mild.
me: you told me yourself that your life has been permanently changed, your brain damaged, and you feel like you have alzheimers at times--would you call that mild?
her: yes because i didn't go to the hospital. i think we should just all get it and get it over with.

lol.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Andenno posted:

They got worse because we let Liberals take God out of schools and are letting our children play violent games like Doom. And 9/11 only happened because Clinton ignored the warnings and missed our chance to get Bin Laden, and if the Liberals didn't loving sabotage our efforts in the Middle East and let us fight the savages properly - no quarter - then we'd have done great and be so much richer from the oil.

The world didn't get worse forever, we just made the mistake of letting Liberals ruin things. Once President Trump Makes America Great Again, we won't have any problems and everything will be great, you'll see - assuming we bother to give pinko libs like you windows in your cells.

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1471167607944499205?s=21

:hb:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Salt Fish posted:

Today was good. Worse than yesterday but better than tomorrow

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I really do think with how bad everyone is at precautions at my workplace, there will be a not insignificant number of people who will have to have an extended Christmas vacation this year.

Either that or they'll show up sick.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Remember when mRNA vaccines were awesome because they had the possibility of being rapidly retooled for emerging variants. Well, we're just not going to do the retooling part because it costs money and the politics are about to shift hard against vaccination.

Better hope those free boosters has lasting protection because they're the last ones you'll get.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1471165465464508419?s=21

open up

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

kater posted:

who doesn’t want to be in a waking dream.
dementia can be dysphoric and terrifying as often as laughy, and also we're all mostly already living in a waking dream so who cares

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maky%C5%8D

this is a thing certain meditative practices can make you super aware of, but, we're all just watching our own hallucinatory movie on our own internal screen all the time. Much of Aleister Crowley's "magic" was just the idea you can manipulate your ontology to experience whatever you want. And, of course, the idea is much older, from Plato's Cave to Milton's "The mind is its own place and, in itself can make a heaven of hell or a hell of heaven.”

Granted, I expect if you're living in Gitmo, turning that into "heaven" would require a mind orders of magnitude stronger than my feeble lizard brain.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Hey guys, wha- *looks at Worldometers UK case load of 78k* :yikes: :ohno:

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

It's so funny to me because like, let's assume for the sake of the argument that China is somehow culpable. Let's go a step further, let's pretend that China deliberately created and unleashed the plague for nefarious reasons.
That information would be useful and require acting on, yes, but not now. Let's look at an analogy; you awake in the middle of the night to find your home ablaze. Finding out how and why your home caught fire so that you could prevent it in the future, and if it was arson find out who did it and bring them to justice, is of course a reasonable and necessary thing. But not right now. Right now, the only sane thing to do is to focus on putting out the fire.

I don't care how this fire started right now. When it's out, then we can talk about whatever insane nonsense the arson conspiracists want to talk about.

I mean, I know I asked earlier about how/why this is happening now, but I mean like, from the perspective of a policy maker who can actually do something about the fire. I don't want anyone in congress focusing on how COVID got started, I want them focusing on loving stopping it.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

euphronius posted:

poo poo has been horrible for people in America forever

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Once President Trump Makes America Great Again, we won't have any problems and everything will be great, you'll see - assuming we bother to give pinko libs like you windows in your cells.

:hmmyes:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
It's awesome how the enormity of Fauci's crimes is so great that there is literally nothing any human being could ever do to him that would even begin to approach justice.

His crimes surpass our ability to punish.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Mr Hootington posted:

10 CHINESE MUST DIE FOR EVERY AMERICAN WHO HAS DIED! WE HAVE NUKES! WE MUST SHOW THAT YOUNG COMMUNIST NATION WHO IS BOSS!

You're doing the lib thing. "You said something bad about Biden? Put on your MAGA hat and get out of here, Trump-lover!"

HiroProtagonist posted:

If this were the case, it would have taken off in Italy before it did in Wuhan. Saying it started somewhere other than Wuhan is implausible, along the lines of saying omicron didn't start in South Africa.

Especially since there is literally a papertrail of money coming from the U.S. NIH, through the EcoHealth Alliance, to the Wuhan Institute of Virology to study bat coronaviruses, which is an area of research that Peter Daszak is very keen on.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Very reasonable. I wish the people in power would do something about covid too. Unfortunately they aren't interested in doing so.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
you can stop doing restrictions because I'm the protagonist and I'll take care of myself no matter what and if you're a good enough supporting character for me then you'll also be fine and/or a fine lesson for me to take to heart

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

This is the comparison I keep coming back too. I haven't had to deal with a chronic illness so I'm hesitant about fleshing out the idea.

Sometimes for health reasons people need to rearrange how they live their lives, and the changes they need to make can be huge. It's literally been a constant part of the human condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kylaer posted:

If this were the case, it would have taken off in Italy before it did in Wuhan. Saying it started somewhere other than Wuhan is implausible, along the lines of saying omicron didn't start in South Africa.

but omicron didn't start in South Africa

I'm starting to think you don't actually know what you're talking about