Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

El Grillo posted:

I swear to god I've seen a set design like the ways before, either in a game or some film or TV - a dark hexagonal stone floor pattern, with a load of almost crystalline-lookinb hexagonal columns coming up out of it at different heights. Am I going crazy or do any of you know what I'm talking about? Lol.

Google the Giant's Causeway, it's the primary inspiration for this kind of terrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

El Grillo posted:

I swear to god I've seen a set design like the ways before, either in a game or some film or TV - a dark hexagonal stone floor pattern, with a load of almost crystalline-lookinb hexagonal columns coming up out of it at different heights.

That's because it's very similar to a natural stone formation that looks weird out in the wild and a lot of things have used it.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

El Grillo posted:

I swear to god I've seen a set design like the ways before, either in a game or some film or TV - a dark hexagonal stone floor pattern, with a load of almost crystalline-lookinb hexagonal columns coming up out of it at different heights. Am I going crazy or do any of you know what I'm talking about? Lol.

You played the bad Mass Effect, Andromeda. Much like I did. So no, you aren't crazy.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

El Grillo posted:

Perhaps you are thinking of “The Giants Causeway” a real place on earth?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

CainFortea posted:

Oh, thought you said you were commenting on them.

oh hell no, it's why the whole thing baffles me. i wouldn't touch that poo poo with a 10 foot pole, especially if it's some ren faire larper speedrunning having heart complications in a 2 hour video session.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

Perhaps you are thinking of “The Giants Causeway” a real place on earth?

drat copiers

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Nice, thanks guys.

Mage_Boy posted:

You played the bad Mass Effect, Andromeda. Much like I did. So no, you aren't crazy.
I do think it was this though. I remember it in a sci-fi context I think

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Barreft posted:

drat copiers

its obviously just the remnants of the ways from the previous turning of the wheel

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Rarity posted:

Handy Dandy Asha'man Guide

Flinn - old healer guy
Narishma - He Who Follows After aka. dude who picked up a package for Ran
Grady - big wife guy
Neald - also exists
Morr - woops crazy
Dashiva - deffo not a Forsaken
Rochaid - evil
Kincaide - evil
Er... Gedwyn? - evil
Tor...val? - evil
Androl - gateways rule lawyer
Logain - oh hey I know that guy
Taim - suck it nerd

Burn you, you were supposed to REMEMBER HIM.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

El Grillo posted:

Do you mean basalt columns?

Efb

This is exactly what I meant by scrambling over ourselves to well actually each other though

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 17, 2021

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

Probably my favorite episode so far. Not perfect by any means, but certainly a lot better than episodes 6 and 1 (which are my least favorite). Like always, they could really have used some more time. And the Perrin/Egwene thing is baffling. But other than that it was great. Really felt like it was made by someone who actually likes WoT, whereas the ones I didn't like as much (ep 1 in particular) felt more like they were nitpicked to death by a bunch of executives who don't particularly care about WoT.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The love triangle stuff is just plain bad. There were plenty of ways to add tension and dispute to that scene without adding that, and the further emphasis on the Egwene/Rand relationship is going to look horribly awkward once they start pivoting to him slowly hooking up with the "3 beautiful women." That's actually one advantage to the relationship being as weak as it was in the books, because despite traces of it still existing at least through TGH, you could also start viewing it as them pivoting to a more familial kind of love. Which is going to be a much harder sell here without making him look terrible - particularly since they've also cut any of the attraction towards Min/Elayne that Rand's already running into in the first book.

Min was okay, but the choice to age her up even more than the main cast was a bit odd. Not making a judgment on whether it'll work out or not, just noting it. To be clear, Min was ~2 years older than the main cast in the books (she's younger than Nynaeve), so when she's talking to Rand about her first vision here she was clearly older than 2 - I don't expect them to do in-show age listings, but if I had to guess I'd put her at older than Nynaeve.

As for the Ways... all I could think of the entire time was "this is literally just the LotR movie journey through Moria." And yes, I know the TEotW drew a lot of inspiration from LotR in its framing, but the show here somehow managed to be even closer to the framing of movie Moria than the books were.

Barney Harris leaving is definitely having repercussions already, as it's a bit strange to have Padan Fain still following them instead of the dagger. Just something to live with though as there's no real way around it.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

RC Cola posted:

Do you mean basalt columns?

Sounds like something they made while insane during the Breaking

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

josha is 26 and kae alexander is like 30, it's not exactly some huge difference from the books

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I've figured out what bothers me about egwene/perrin

It feels Ike this is an Amazon exec trying to shoehorn in the closest thing they can find to an incest scene just to make the show " more game of thrones"

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the perrin/egwene/rand stuff feels like it might peter out after this, anyways. i dunno if there's too much else to pursue and they might have used it for basically a 'cheap' early shot to have them bicker, because i absolutely don't see the show cutting faile no matter what some people's apparent wishes are since she's pretty core to perrin's whole thing and none of that lines up with egwene anyways. it's dumb and it feels the most like it was added for tv, but part of me gets the impression it won't linger.

as usual i can always be wrong as hell about this and might as well be

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've figured out what bothers me about egwene/perrin

It feels Ike this is an Amazon exec trying to shoehorn in the closest thing they can find to an incest scene just to make the show " more game of thrones"

this feels like a strange place to go re: perrin's quiet, unrequited crush on someone he grew up with, which he feels guilty about, and does not appear to have ever acted on in any way

it's pretty far from an incest scene. it's getting married young and not having got over some other crush growing up and it being a source of tension in the marriage even though everyone knows nothing was gonna happen

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 17, 2021

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

What if it's a setup for perrin and fain romance arc

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Y'know I was kind of wondering from the very first episode, there was a moment I think. Where Laila kind of glares in Egwene's direction?

Can't quite remember but I feel like they were putting this out there from the beginning.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Fain gonna be in that cell flirting on Egwene

E: I still don't get the Perrin/Egwene thing people are saying. Especially since I don't think they ever see each other again forever. Unless you think Perrin will now be saving Egwene from the Seanchan and being her warder at the tower like gawyn which lol

Barreft fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 17, 2021

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I think this also might have been brought more to the front because no Mat. I suspect that is also why Loial just disappeared.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Lord Koth posted:

As for the Ways... all I could think of the entire time was "this is literally just the LotR movie journey through Moria." And yes, I know the TEotW drew a lot of inspiration from LotR in its framing, but the show here somehow managed to be even closer to the framing of movie Moria than the books were.
The show has done this a number of times in bizarrely specific ways, like the Taren Ferry stand off in ep 2, and the Tam speech in ep 1.

Then at the end of the Ways in the show they seem to have decided they needed to put in a Bridge of Khazad-dum. Let's have a really narrow bridge over an abyss that they have to get across whilst being chased just before they get out! I mean were they doing a reference there or what.

I would've liked to see Escher stuff in the ways, not sure why they didn't do that. Hell I thought Pike even talked about them making a big set with that sort of stuff, in her recent interview about ep 7.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Y'know I was kind of wondering from the very first episode, there was a moment I think. Where Laila kind of glares in Egwene's direction?

Can't quite remember but I feel like they were putting this out there from the beginning.

Laila isn't ever in the same scene with Egwene. That was the tension when Perrin goes back to the forge. Laila didn't go to celebrate Egwene's hair braiding.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

El Grillo posted:

The show has done this a number of times in bizarrely specific ways, like the Taren Ferry stand off in ep 2, and the Tam speech in ep 1.

Then at the end of the Ways in the show they seem to have decided they needed to put in a Bridge of Khazad-dum. Let's have a really narrow bridge over an abyss that they have to get across whilst being chased just before they get out! I mean were they doing a reference there or what.

I would've liked to see Escher stuff in the ways, not sure why they didn't do that. Hell I thought Pike even talked about them making a big set with that sort of stuff, in her recent interview about ep 7.

How long ago did you read the books

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I re-read the first 6 during lockdown last year, I think? Maybe the year before

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

eke out posted:

josha is 26 and kae alexander is like 30, it's not exactly some huge difference from the books

Are their actors really that close in age? Wow, I'd have guessed closer to 15 years.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Cool ep. I like hanging out with the two rivers gang and seeing them having time to bounce off each other. The opening action scene was very well done. The ways were fine, I liked the change to Machin Shin. Had fun watching, hyped for the finale. Let’s gooooo

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

LionArcher posted:

Have you had COVID recently? Because you clearly have no taste.

Opening ruled so hard. Love triangles total worked because it’s dumb and the worlds going to very quickly going “nobody cares”. Min rules so hard. Her and rand instantly have fantastic chemistry. Reveal wasn’t what I expected, but was also great.

The core of the story is here. It’s a different telling in a different medium, but they’re doing a loving amazing telling of it.
The skeleton of the story is there, sure, but the bones are broken, the meat is from a cat, and the heart is a 404 error. Showgelmar is a generic chud so Moiraine can put him and his male chauvinism in his place and not spend any time with him, despite Agelmar going from "desperate to have Moiraine and Lan's help" to "please let me do literally anything to help you in your journey". Really feeling that chemistry behind "oh, it's you", and the love triangle being intentionally cheap drama doesn't change the fact it's cheap, and also manufactured whole cloth in service to itself. Lan "not having something to die for" is such bastardization of his character and backstory, but it tracks for what the show's been doing to him.

The opening was solid, sure, maybe a little too much slow-motion but that's minor. The reveal was very standard though, and the fever Tam flashback was a little worse than I thought it would be.

Lord Koth posted:

Min was okay, but the choice to age her up even more than the main cast was a bit odd. Not making a judgment on whether it'll work out or not, just noting it. To be clear, Min was ~2 years older than the main cast in the books (she's younger than Nynaeve), so when she's talking to Rand about her first vision here she was clearly older than 2 - I don't expect them to do in-show age listings, but if I had to guess I'd put her at older than Nynaeve.
To be entirely fair, while the show isn't really using it, Nynaeve in the books had already been Slowing so Min looking older despite not actually would follow, and age gap wise, Rand was born winter of 978 while Min was born 975, so like a 3 or 4 year gap. Kae's about that range with Joshua.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RandomReader posted:

Showgelmar is a generic chud so Moiraine can put him and his male chauvinism in his place and not spend any time with him

This is the weirdest take on a brother and sister having a disagreement.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Maybe Fain can channel in the TV show. That's the only way that makes sense if you need to channel to open the waygate.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Nitrousoxide posted:

Maybe Fain can channel in the TV show. That's the only way that makes sense if you need to channel to open the waygate.

Hexel posted:

every drat time

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Barreft posted:

How long ago did you read the books

What does this even mean? The Ways in the books are described as a series of islands suspended in nothingness with bridges linking them. If we're really doing this, then the book comparison between TEotW and LotR with the Ways and Moria is that it's a dark and unsafe place (that's getting worse) with hidden dangers, but is the only route to get where they need in a timely fashion - that's it. The issues Loial have there are related to finding bridges that have collapsed and needing to find a new route around the collapse. There are no destroyed signs he has trouble reading (Trollocs defaced some and added their own markings, but they were still readable), there is no random trolloc attack (the only ones they see are gruesomely killed ones that got unlucky in the Ways), and there's never any issue crossing bridges other than the mental "what if this one collapses" due to what they've seen. Oh, and they completely succeed at running away from Machin Shin instead of being exposed to it.

The show's the one that decided to add in having to sit around while someone wasn't sure which way to go and needed to have a ponder, a random event that "woke the evil", a narrow bridge right before the exit, and someone having to stand and hold the evil at bay (even if they actually survived the experience here). They were literally riding horses at a gallop across bridges in the Ways in the book.

Not to say those changes were good or bad, because I can see pros and cons, but the show is ludicrously closer in terms of framing to the LotR movie than the books are to each other.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Hexel posted:

every drat time

I don't remember seeing this. Do you have a timestamp?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

El Grillo posted:

Bloodborne?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

What does this even mean? The Ways in the books are described as a series of islands suspended in nothingness with bridges linking them. If we're really doing this, then the book comparison between TEotW and LotR with the Ways and Moria is that it's a dark and unsafe place (that's getting worse) with hidden dangers, but is the only route to get where they need in a timely fashion - that's it. The issues Loial have there are related to finding bridges that have collapsed and needing to find a new route around the collapse. There are no destroyed signs he has trouble reading (Trollocs defaced some and added their own markings, but they were still readable), there is no random trolloc attack (the only ones they see are gruesomely killed ones that got unlucky in the Ways), and there's never any issue crossing bridges other than the mental "what if this one collapses" due to what they've seen. Oh, and they completely succeed at running away from Machin Shin instead of being exposed to it.

The show's the one that decided to add in having to sit around while someone wasn't sure which way to go and needed to have a ponder, a random event that "woke the evil", a narrow bridge right before the exit, and someone having to stand and hold the evil at bay (even if they actually survived the experience here). They were literally riding horses at a gallop across bridges in the Ways in the book.

Not to say those changes were good or bad, because I can see pros and cons, but the show is ludicrously closer in terms of framing to the LotR movie than the books are to each other.

Some of this is right and some of this is wrong lol

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Hexel posted:

every drat time

Is this an extra? I don’t remember that.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I’m pretty sure Fain with the leaf wasn’t on screen at all.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

CainFortea posted:

This is the weirdest take on a brother and sister having a disagreement.
Oh, you haven't seen the episode yet? Makes sense, otherwise how could you miss Agelmar talking over Moiraine, openly dismissing his sisters concerns in public, taking the first opportunity to brag about the might of Fal Dara and how little an Aes Sedai would matter, and Moiraine is just so exapserated at his overbearing arrogance? Moiraine's later comment about him not going to Min because he already knows all the answers? That wasn't a brother and sister having a disagreement, that was an arrogant man disrespecting two women out of hand and being put in his place, a radical departure from the books because ??? They needed more male leaders to disrespect Aes Sedai/women, and to fill that role chose a character who would never dare?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RandomReader posted:

Oh, you haven't seen the episode yet? Makes sense, otherwise how could you miss Agelmar talking over Moiraine, openly dismissing his sisters concerns in public, taking the first opportunity to brag about the might of Fal Dara and how little an Aes Sedai would matter, and Moiraine is just so exapserated at his overbearing arrogance? Moiraine's later comment about him not going to Min because he already knows all the answers? That wasn't a brother and sister having a disagreement, that was an arrogant man disrespecting two women out of hand and being put in his place, a radical departure from the books because ??? They needed more male leaders to disrespect Aes Sedai/women, and to fill that role chose a character who would never dare?

No, i've seen it. And I didn't need the explanation, I already knew you were doing a dumb take. Didn't need to see you work backwards to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

RandomReader posted:

Your a loving deranged weirdo and I don't know why you'd register on SA just to post this poo poo in one thread.