Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nitrousoxide posted:

Well, technically, each side achieved their operational goals, so maybe a mutual victory?

At BEST you'd call it a pyrrhic for the Westlands, but that's stretching the truth, and everyone who saw combat then agrees they most definitely were not winning when the Aiel turned back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

At BEST you'd call it a pyrrhic for the Westlands, but that's stretching the truth, and everyone who saw combat then agrees they most definitely were not winning when the Aiel turned back.

Those are just tactical losses to achieve a strategic victory!

Wetlanders goal was to turn back the Aiel. This was achieved.
Aiel goal was to kill that oathbreaking rear end in a top hat. This was achieved.

Everybody wins!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Those are just tactical losses to achieve a strategic victory!

Wetlanders goal was to turn back the Aiel. This was achieved.
Aiel goal was to kill that oathbreaking rear end in a top hat. This was achieved.

Everybody wins!

Have you considered writing political spin?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm watching with my non book reading partner and explaining history stuff and when I talked about the cause of the Aiel War, she asked if the Aiel caring for an important tree had anything to do with the Way of the Leaf.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I wonder what the Aiel would have done if King Laman had managed to take refuge inside Tar Valon itself. Surely the Clan Chiefs wouldn't have contemplated attacking the city given the whole "We failed the Aes Sedai," thing.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Have you considered writing political spin?

I'm an attorney, so it's my job!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

I wonder what the Aiel would have done if King Laman had managed to take refuge inside Tar Valon itself. Surely the Clan Chiefs wouldn't have contemplated attacking the city given the whole "We failed the Aes Sedai," thing.

Oh idk if it could be an actual issue. From Verin, in I believe book 2's interaction, the layman aiel would have not been a threat to the AS so they would have just killed a bunch of guards and walked into laman's chambers.

3 oath shenanigans and all but eventually you run out of warders to bait.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

And Aes Sedai being Aes Sedai, I'm 100% certain they would have handed him over wrapped in Air.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You know what the Rand/Perrin argument scene reminded me of? Like, in pacing, in tone, in awkwardness, and in how you could see it looming up on you ever since they came out of the Ways all glowering at each other? And for that matter in having been added to the story as part of the adaptation?

The scene in the LotR films where Frodo tells Sam to "go home".

Anyway, tell me if I'm crazy, but it seemed like Rand's sudden realization that he's the DR sort of came out of nowhere, didn't it? He's out practicing archery, he keeps missing the bulls-eye, then he suddenly has a bunch of flashbacks to scenes where he had been channeling, plus a scene we hadn't previously even known about (as non-readers) showing him as a foundling? I don't get what organically is supposed to have catalyzed his sudden awareness of it.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Data Graham posted:

Anyway, tell me if I'm crazy, but it seemed like Rand's sudden realization that he's the DR sort of came out of nowhere, didn't it? He's out practicing archery, he keeps missing the bulls-eye, then he suddenly has a bunch of flashbacks to scenes where he had been channeling, plus a scene we hadn't previously even known about (as non-readers) showing him as a foundling? I don't get what organically is supposed to have catalyzed his sudden awareness of it.

He got laid.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It wasn't a sudden awareness. He's been afraid he's the dragon the entire time. But as more and more stuff happens it's been harder for him to fool himself. And now he's faced with a choice of just accept it and keep his friends safe, or keep fooling himself and have Egwene die.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

CainFortea posted:

It wasn't a sudden awareness. He's been afraid he's the dragon the entire time. But as more and more stuff happens it's been harder for him to fool himself. And now he's faced with a choice of just accept it and keep his friends safe, or keep fooling himself and have Egwene die.
I'm being both sincere and facetious here: too bad the show couldn't show us this before that exact moment.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

CainFortea posted:

You know, this makes me think about the fact that Rand was by far the most obsessed with going back for Mat. Mat has been a very convenient distraction for him to not have to think about the possibility that he's the Dragon. Mat not being there just makes the odds that he IS the dragon that much higher. It certainly all falls together.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

Data Graham posted:

He knew as soon as they left the ways, he just didn't want to accept it. The second time he's shooting he's not fighting it any more so he's not distracted, in that scene he's not missing (nice shot if it at 50:05 of the ep shows 3 bullseyes in the target). He goes to Min, she confirms, episode conclusion follows.

Also people need to read EoTW again and ask themselves what his problem with Aram is if they think Perrin having a crush on Egwene isn't in the books.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RandomReader posted:

I'm being both sincere and facetious here: too bad the show couldn't show us this before that exact moment.

It did. Repeatedly.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

RandomReader posted:

i'm being both sincere and facetious here: did you (re)reg an account specifically to post about hating the wheel of time lol

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

RandomReader posted:

It did over and over again.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

quote:

I've got more of an issue with her character in general in that she's just not very likeable and I think she's supposed to be. She's on edge 100% of the time with everybody and I don't think they've done much to justify that - even with her friends, she's awkward and randomly hostle. With Moiraine and the Aes Sedai her attitude is constantly well how about gently caress you. The only moment I've kind of liked her was when she was smiling in the window at Lan's family reunion, and I at least understood her trepidation about getting involved with Lan afterwards because she thinks him and Moraine are basically married.

Yeah she's been forced out of her home on a dangerous quest but so have all of them, and aside from Rand having a little tantrum at Moiraine in episode 2, the rest of them aren't acting like that even though they've arguably lost more. This must just be her personality, and it isn't one I really enjoy watching - repressed people who lash out after stewing for hours.

it's nice to see the no-spoiler thread with posts like this confirming that the writers get the book characters and are portraying them correctly to non-readers

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

eke out posted:

it's nice to see the no-spoiler thread with posts like this confirming that the writers get the book characters and are portraying them correctly to non-readers

Yea, it's hard not to go "yea, yup you got it."

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CainFortea posted:

Yea, it's hard not to go "yea, yup you got it."

to be fair i've seen a lot of people on youtube that love her the most. but seeing at least some people being like "why is she mad all the time! she's so frustrating!" is completely accurate to the books lol

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I literally just relistened to the line in LoC "Nynaeve wished Thom and Elayne would just snap at each other, like *normal* people" and it cracked me the gently caress up.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
They captured Nynaeve perfectly. The braid tugging was just subtle enough that I'm going to enjoy it as a repeat background element.

I have a suspicion that we get Tuon next season as part of the first Seanchan attack just to get her in the picture early.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

eke out posted:

i'm being both sincere and facetious here: did you (re)reg an account specifically to post about hating the wheel of time lol

Yo HA can you put a tag on this random reader dipshit so we don’t have to get derailed every time he trolls the thread

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

eke out posted:

to be fair i've seen a lot of people on youtube that love her the most. but seeing at least some people being like "why is she mad all the time! she's so frustrating!" is completely accurate to the books lol

i clocked that post in the other thread, too. it's nice reading all the first-timer thoughts

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

buffalo all day posted:

Yo HA can you put a tag on this random reader dipshit so we don’t have to get derailed every time he trolls the thread

You can get the SALR extension that lets you put notes on people so you don't forget.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

When Nynaeve tugged her braid after sex with Lan I was like *dicaprio point*, but then in the very next shot she crosses her arms beneath her breasts :buddy:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Data Graham posted:

When Nynaeve tugged her braid after sex with Lan I was like *dicaprio point*, but then in the very next shot she crosses her arms beneath her breasts :buddy:

I still don't know if that's a real braid tug. Looks like she's just doing it back up.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Only in seeing it on screen does it become apparent that tugging a braid doesn't exactly come across visually.

e: I drew it once, it was this face except she was yanking the braid violently to the side like she was trying to detach it from her head

I can't find it anymore lmao

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 18, 2021

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

According to this interview, Josha Stradowski just started reading book 12. I wonder what he is going to think of Darth Rand haha.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

MegaZeroX posted:

According to this interview, Josha Stradowski just started reading book 12. I wonder what he is going to think of Darth Rand haha.

I think in one of the other interviews with him he mentioned he was most looking forward to the show getting to The Box and Dumai's Wells, so I'd bet he'd be really hyped to play that version of the character.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Rand learning toxic masculinity from Lan and then having to find a way out of it is, like, the crux of his entire arc. If that's not happening... what exactly is Rand's arc, now?

Hell, what's Lan's arc? If this is where he starts, where has he got to go?

i think this stuff is my biggest issue with the show.

something the books do pretty well is showing the two rivers crew grow from being total fish out of water know-nothings. they're constantly amazed by the size of new towns and cities, rubbing shoulders with the wealthy and powerful, being oblivious or confused about other cultures, etc. the show doesn't have any of that, outside of the tinkers and maybe mat and rand walking into tar valon for the first time.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
So here's something interesting (apologies if this has been discussed before, I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to this thread before the show started). It turns out that in Robert Jordan's notes; alongside each character he had an actor that to him best represented how that character looked:

Rand: a young Ben Affleck
Mat: James Garner at age 21
Perrin: a young Val Kilmer
Egwene: Audrey Hepburn at age 18
Nynaeve: a young Jacqueline Bisset
Aviendha: a young Sophia Loren
Elayne: Nicole Kidman at age 18
Min: Isabella Rossellini
Tuon: Halle Berry
Moiraine: Hedy Lamarr
Lan: Liam Neeson in one of his craggier roles
Birgitte: Lucy Lawless of Xena
Faile: Cher at age 19
Thom: Patrick Stewart with hair
Verin: a young Margaret Rutherford
Siuan (after stilling): Renee Zellweger (before appearance change)
Gareth Bryne: a combination Charlton Heston and John Wayne
Morgase: Michelle Pfeiffer
Berelain: Isabelle Adjani
Padan Fain: Alan Rickman
Semirhage: Naomi Campbell or Tyra Banks
Demandred: Omar Sharif
Lanfear: a younger Catherine Deneuve

I'm really glad the showrunners either didn't know about it, or did but chose to completely disregard it, because a show that tried to cast people along these lines would have ended up with an appalling lack diversity. One thing that does really stand out to me though is his choice of actor for Verin, because years ago I actually formed the same headcannon myself completely independently (If anyone has never seen them, go see her old black and white portrayals of Miss Marple and tell me she wouldn't be the perfect Verin - Verin has always struck me as a Marple-ish character)

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

exmarx posted:

something the books do pretty well is showing the two rivers crew grow from being total fish out of water know-nothings. they're constantly amazed by the size of new towns and cities, rubbing shoulders with the wealthy and powerful, being oblivious or confused about other cultures, etc. the show doesn't have any of that, outside of the tinkers and maybe mat and rand walking into tar valon for the first time.

I bet season 2 will focus a lot on that. Season 1 has been, by and large, Moiraine's season. Lan and Nynaeve have gotten a lot of development because of their proximity to her but you're right in that we just haven't had a lot of time with the rest. More or longer episodes would definitely have helped, but I'm also thinking they didn't want to give too much time to any of the prime dragon candidates so that the mystery could last the whole season

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

exmarx posted:

Yeah I'm gonna agree completely with that, that is something I love about the books and is conspicuously absent from the show so far.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Lord Bude posted:

So here's something interesting (apologies if this has been discussed before, I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to this thread before the show started). It turns out that in Robert Jordan's notes; alongside each character he had an actor that to him best represented how that character looked:

Rand: a young Ben Affleck
Mat: James Garner at age 21
Perrin: a young Val Kilmer
Egwene: Audrey Hepburn at age 18
Nynaeve: a young Jacqueline Bisset
Aviendha: a young Sophia Loren
Elayne: Nicole Kidman at age 18
Min: Isabella Rossellini
Tuon: Halle Berry
Moiraine: Hedy Lamarr
Lan: Liam Neeson in one of his craggier roles
Birgitte: Lucy Lawless of Xena
Faile: Cher at age 19
Thom: Patrick Stewart with hair
Verin: a young Margaret Rutherford
Siuan (after stilling): Renee Zellweger (before appearance change)
Gareth Bryne: a combination Charlton Heston and John Wayne
Morgase: Michelle Pfeiffer
Berelain: Isabelle Adjani
Padan Fain: Alan Rickman
Semirhage: Naomi Campbell or Tyra Banks
Demandred: Omar Sharif
Lanfear: a younger Catherine Deneuve

I'm really glad the showrunners either didn't know about it, or did but chose to completely disregard it, because a show that tried to cast people along these lines would have ended up with an appalling lack diversity. One thing that does really stand out to me though is his choice of actor for Verin, because years ago I actually formed the same headcannon myself completely independently (If anyone has never seen them, go see her old black and white portrayals of Miss Marple and tell me she wouldn't be the perfect Verin - Verin has always struck me as a Marple-ish character)

Lol forever at this list.

Just an endless parade of interchangeable white hollywood a-list actors

That's so unimaginative I can't even believe this is real

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

CainFortea posted:

You can get the SALR extension that lets you put notes on people so you don't forget.

I personally would never be trolled by such weak attempts as i am far too powerful, I am more concerned for my wot friends who keep stepping on the rakes this dude drops all over the place

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just got to the chapter of Knife of Dreams where Rand lets loose loving Deathgates and all kinds of crazy poo poo on advancing trollocs. Bad rear end. Although worried we won't see any more of Loial because he's leaving with his wife.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Can I just say that the Ogier wedding was the most basic poo poo ever

Just "do you take this man, do you take this woman" nothing even straying from the bog-standard modern WASP wedding ceremony

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 18, 2021

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Lol forever at this list.

Just an endless parade of interchangeable white hollywood a-list actors

That's so unimaginative I can't even believe this is real

Apparently taken directly from his notes that are publicly available at a museum in Charleston? I guess if a goon wanted to go on a field trip/road trip they could verify?

It's definitely not what I picture when I read the books, Verin notwithstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I don't doubt you. I'm just like, lol anyway. Poor guy and his 90s brain.