Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like future seasons will likely hew closer to the books in terms of some events if only because there's less need to basically whip up whatever like there is for the first book. this isn't even like hopeful wishing or whatever, it's just going off the idea that eotw has the most 'gaps' to fill with like tv-friendly plotting and pacing poo poo and the finale itself is like the most vaguely confusing thing in relation to the rest of the series that they have room to play with. meanwhile you have stuff like dumai's wells later on where there's not much you have to do to make that interesting or impactful. i dunno. it was a random thought. they had to do a lot of heavy lifting to compress and tweak eotw to fit the schedule and plotting they had in terms of making it all interesting for non-readers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also yeah lol at that cast list

ben affleck as rand sticks out to me in particular for some reason

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Data Graham posted:

Can I just say that the Ogier wedding was the most basic poo poo ever

Just "do you take this man, do you take this woman" nothing even straying from the bog-standard modern WASP wedding ceremony

?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean I'm just speaking from memory when I went through it like 5 years ago, but I remember expecting at least something that felt like it was from a different species and completely alien to human experience, but it proceeded like beat-for-beat what you'd expect out of some Presbyterian ceremony in like ... Kansas or whatever

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 18, 2021

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just got to the Golden Crane chapter of Knife of Dreams and it is loving bad rear end. However it is also hilarious that Nynaeve dumps Lan off in the middle of loving nowhere.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Hollismason posted:

Just got to the Golden Crane chapter of Knife of Dreams and it is loving bad rear end. However it is also hilarious that Nynaeve dumps Lan off in the middle of loving nowhere.

now now, it's not the middle of nowhere, it's the western periphery of nowhere.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
drat rand's mom was every bit as badass as I was hoping a maiden would be

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Rand learning toxic masculinity from Lan and then having to find a way out of it is, like, the crux of his entire arc. If that's not happening... what exactly is Rand's arc, now?

Hell, what's Lan's arc? If this is where he starts, where has he got to go?

Again someone puts a finger on something that bothered me, but which I couldn't pin down.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

MegaZeroX posted:

According to this interview, Josha Stradowski just started reading book 12. I wonder what he is going to think of Darth Rand haha.

This is a bigger commitment than Christian Bale losing 90lbs for The Machinist.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

kumail deformed his skull for eternals but rand's actor will never forget crossroads of twilight

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

i say swears online posted:

kumail deformed his skull for eternals but rand's actor will never forget crossroads of twilight

He's a Method actor, he wanted to know what it was like to go insane.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Do we know who’s playing Selene in Season 2 yet?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
From the other thread:

Ihmemies posted:

The books were a feelgood story from start until the end

The books were a feel good story!

*multiple characters get raped*

Nothing bad ever happens here!

*multiple characters are enslaved*

This is a happy fun time!

*multiple armies are destroyed in moments*

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

theblackw0lf posted:

It is suspected that it's Natasha O’Keeffe, but all we know for sure is that she's been cast as "one of the most important roles." Which sounds like it could be Selene but isn't proven as yet.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

theblackw0lf posted:

To quote Rafe on the subject: Lanfear

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

jng2058 posted:

It is suspected that it's Natasha O’Keeffe, but all we know for sure is that she's been cast as "one of the most important roles." Which sounds like it could be Selene but isn't proven as yet.

(Goes to IMDB).

Yea I can totally see it.

Also I can’t think of any other character in The Great Hunt that is super important and would fit that look.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Dec 18, 2021

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Speaking of Selene/Lanfear, I’m re-reading TGH and Rand must have been really thinking with his dick because Selene does so many things that throw out warning signs. I’m surprised she was so blunt in her thirst for power. I had thought she was more subtle and crafty than that.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

Speaking of Selene/Lanfear, I’m re-reading TGH and Rand must have been really thinking with his dick because Selene does so many things that throw out warning signs. I’m surprised she was so blunt in her thirst for power. I had thought she was more subtle and crafty than that.

Lanfear is, like, the least subtle of the Chosen.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Not because she can't be, but because she absolutely refuses to be anything less than the hottest and most cool

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Huh I had completely forgotten about the line Morgase had in LoC. She was considering whether she should order tallanvor and lamgwin to carve a way free, and that she would take up a sword too if she gave that order, despite never doing so before.

That sure is a familiar kind of scene, eight goddamn books later.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i bet selene/lanfear will be a big focus for season 2 and they gonna try to keep it a surprise that she's a forsaken until it's relevant

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Johnny Joestar posted:

i bet selene/lanfear will be a big focus for season 2 and they gonna try to keep it a surprise that she's a forsaken until it's relevant

They’ll have to do a better job at making her less suspicious than the book does.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I don't think you can. Instead, I'd just play up the low-level compulsion angle, and make it clear they are being fooled. Try and keep her entering and leaving in a single episode, so people don't get worked up over it over the week.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

at the very least i feel they might keep her being a forsaken close to their chest, because that's a big distinction compared to 'suspicious weirdo who is probably a darkfriend', and then pop up with the 'i am in love with your previous self and subsequently you and want to subjugate you before we both subjugate the world' crazy poo poo as a big reveal, since it adds an extra layer to the whole thing that will probably be somewhat touched on in this season finale with ishamael. mainly in the sense of 'these sociopathic malcontents knew lews therin'

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Selene/Lanfear also gets Mat/the girls out of Tar Valon and to Tear in TDR, so you probably don't want the audience hating her on sight then?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Man I love Redlaytee's reactions, she has so many correct (and also wrong) predictions. In her episode 7 reaction, she correctly guesses that Egwene will become the Amyrlin seat from the "gold ring" vision.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

drat I forgot that Egwane, Elane, Min, and Nynaeve got tricked into leaving the tower to "save Rand" by Liandrin who's obviously hated him at every opportunity they've seen her in the past, and who now telling them that there are black ajah everywhere in the tower.

Not the brightest bunch. Egwane I could see being tricked because she basically falls over herself to be obsequious to every Aes Sedai she sees, but Nynaeve, Min! You two aren't idiots.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

The Lord Bude posted:

To quote Rafe on the subject: Lanfear

This made me laugh in light of the other thread being super militant about book spoilers. The loving show runner spoiled a major twist for season 2 in a Reddit AMA.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

MegaZeroX posted:

Man I love Redlaytee's reactions, she has so many correct (and also wrong) predictions. In her episode 7 reaction, she correctly guesses that Egwene will become the Amyrlin seat from the "gold ring" vision.

This is why they didn't show the white flame and gold ring visions. Book readers know it refers to Egwene as Amrylin, Nynaeve with Lan's ring. But show watchers will probably get Aes Sedai from gold ring instead.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Dr. Clockwork posted:

This made me laugh in light of the other thread being super militant about book spoilers. The loving show runner spoiled a major twist for season 2 in a Reddit AMA.

One way they might create tension on the show would be to show the audience that Lanfear=Selene but not have Rand know. Kind of like when Hans fakes the American accent in Die Hard.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

I think they could make Lanfear a lot less suspicious, especially if they don't have Rand/Loial/Hurin going through the portal world. That's the big first clue - what the gently caress is this random Cairhien noble lady doing in this alternate world, and why does she know more about it than even Loial?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Episode 8 ad on instagram somebody screencapped

https://twitter.com/lynx_time/status/1472212445158592518

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Gully Foyle posted:

I think they could make Lanfear a lot less suspicious, especially if they don't have Rand/Loial/Hurin going through the portal world. That's the big first clue - what the gently caress is this random Cairhien noble lady doing in this alternate world, and why does she know more about it than even Loial?

Plus later on its clear she knows more than Verin of the brown (and black) ajah. She keeps referring to Loial using the old tongue name for their species while the rest of the Cairhien nobles Rand encountered called him a "Builder". No one has heard of her in Cairhien, nor does anyone know what house she is supposed to belong to, despite knowledge of other nobles for the great game being vital in that city.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Oh hell yeah

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Hexel posted:

Episode 8 ad on instagram somebody screencapped

https://twitter.com/lynx_time/status/1472212445158592518
Is that a female Myrddral? As far as I know, there's no reason Fades can't have sexual dimorphism, so I dig it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Catching up with the thread, but posting my thoughts first bc gotta post

- I thought the crosscutting of scenes was pretty cool. Nice subversion of what has been a pretty straight forward approach to storytelling.

- Rand's actor stepped up in a big way. He was great. Which he had to be bc he was shouldering so much. Great find.

- Still think I have a problem with the writing staff's instincts. If you've got your young primary cast in a room, deciding to make the dialogue about who is sleeping with who, while maybe realistic, is perhaps not the best use of your time in a fantasy adventure story. When in doubt, it seems they always break the plot box of "make your actors cry at each other."

Eager to see how all this resolves!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that brief shot in the leaked trailer is interesting. what are the logistics behind having more barney harris scenes and also mat looking haggard like he's relapsing. what are they gonna show in episode 8.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I checked the prime video aunz youtube channel for a high res version but it's not there

If they're running sponsored ads for it, that must be the next teaser the official accounts drop, maybe today or tomorrow

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Johnny Joestar posted:

that brief shot in the leaked trailer is interesting. what are the logistics behind having more barney harris scenes and also mat looking haggard like he's relapsing. what are they gonna show in episode 8.

My guess is it's an Ishy dream that they shot early. Either that or the rumours are wrong and he was actually always going to stay in Tar Valon so they did his finale scenes while filming the ep5-6 block

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007