Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

No aginor and the other guy means they're almost assuredly cutting some 4saken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

We knew that from the number of those little statues.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Was Rand looking at the Eye at the end of the episode? I couldn't really tell.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

eke out posted:

so was it worth spending ten bucks to complain about wheel of time on a new account here
I'm actually just here so I can follow an LP without getting locked out when the forums go accounts-only, but complaining about the show is a nice side benefit.

buffalo all day posted:

Stop posting and get out you weird little freak
... No thank you?

This is a really, really stupid and small thing to be a little thrilled over, but I'm starting to reread the series and just pieced together that the inn's old foundations were probably from a larger Manetheren building a thousand years ago. Knowing my luck, there's probably a later scene where they confirm that and I'll look very silly for pointing out something blindingly obvious.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

silvergoose posted:

We knew that from the number of those little statues.

i doubt they all come in a box set.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

RandomReader posted:

I'm actually just here so I can follow an LP without getting locked out when the forums go accounts-only, but complaining about the show is a nice side benefit.

lmao

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

I would think that we'll probably get like 8 based on the statues:
Ishmael
Lanfear
Asmodean
Two forsaken that are a mix of Semirhage, Mesaana, Graendel, and Moghedian
Two forsaken that are a mix of Sammael, Rahvin, Demandred, and Be'lal
Fain as a new Forsaken or a reincarnation (I think they'll simplify a lot of his story)

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
the gangtag will link back to this thread
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up

And my Axe! Tug away!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lawlicaust posted:

Ishmael
Lanfear
Asmodean
Fain as a new Forsaken or a reincarnation (I think they'll simplify a lot of his story)

Graendel is absolutely in there. There's no mistaking that statue. And Sammael has the scar on the statue. And it's short.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

The prologue wasn't very good. I saw the 3000 AD and freaked out because I thought they were Doing It but instead we got two characters expositing at each other with no real apparent stakes--outside looked cool but it didn't look or sound like they were at the losing end of a war. making it in the old tongue is a choice I can respect even though I don't think it necessarily worked great. this ep felt less written by a screenwriting algorithm than the previous two. I don't think mat is in any danger of being a dark friend but he will probably do darkfriend poo poo until he's double cured of the dagger.

who has the dagger in the show currently? I thought moiraine confiscated it right?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Lawlicaust posted:

Ishmael
Lanfear
Asmodean

The two other female Forsaken are definitely Graendel (for reasons mentioned by a previous poster) and Semirhage (because of the hair). Moghedian is also definitely the spidery looking one.

The other 2 male forsaken will probably be Sammael and Demandred.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

who has the dagger in the show currently? I thought moiraine confiscated it right?

Fain had it, there was a quick shot where he tucked it away

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

buffalo all day posted:

Fain had it, there was a quick shot where he tucked it away

Oh well that doesn't make a lick of sense

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

RandomReader posted:

the truth is always more pathetic than one can ever imagine

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

he stole it from the white tower in the books, I assume he did that offscreen here (genuinely don’t remember what happened to it once moiraine got it from mat)

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Loial being alive after an explicit dagger stabbing also is strange, unless they massively nerf the thing and change some of the key beats it is part of later on.

I assume we’ll flashback to the dagger being stolen to at least explain why Fain has it, maybe tying in to the Black or something.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

What part are you having a hard time with?

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
I really enjoyed that! I thought they did enough interesting twists on the original material that I was uncertain for a second when Nynaeve went down but so far I'm in.

Seanchan opening strong with child murder.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

CainFortea posted:

What part are you having a hard time with?

how did the dagger get from tar valon to padan fain,

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm assuming he stole it.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

He was there, they literally showed him there

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Rand’s temptation by Satan was EXTREMLY reminiscent of the three arches and I bet that is getting dropped.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I’m not sure what I am watching but it is some glorious mash of canon and fan fiction set in randland so im enjoying it. Some of these random changes are just wild though.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Rewatching, it sure looks like Ishy/DO gets a little smug smirk going right as he was getting obliterated so I’m wondering if it wasn’t all part of the Plan.

I win again Lews Therin.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

CainFortea posted:

I'm assuming he stole it.

hopefully next season we check in with people outside of the Two Rivers Five so we don't have to assume major plot beats

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

you can say oh it'll be explained in season two, and that's true, but that doesn't help the season of television I just watched

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

both of the vaguely normie non book people I know that are watching this were shocked to learn this was the last episode of the season

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

awarding ghislaine the coveted wolfdog award for excellence in criticism for the week, named after the goon who complained that the wolfdogs hanging out with Perrin were far too small to be realistic only to be informed that the dog breed being used is bigger than actual wolves, congrats to u and the rest of the nominees

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I hope they keep the "Fain can't figure out how to open the fuckin box of the Horn" because I want to watch that actor in that situation.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Rand’s temptation by Satan was EXTREMLY reminiscent of the three arches and I bet that is getting dropped.

It’s almost word for word (up until Ishy shows up) a repeat of Egwene’s Accepted test. She freaks out later because one of the BA has the name of her dream-daughter, Joyia.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I really loved the open, i loved that they had them speak in old tongue through it, even catching words here and there.

Overall i really like the ep, i was impressed at some of the gnarly face effects during the battle.

Also, the damane still pretty obviously have huge collars and the suldam have their big ol bracers. So i guess the gags are a weird aesthetic choice, i cant imagine main characters wear them much so maybe it'll be a thing that seanchan damane wear them, while westlands damane dont?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

you can say oh it'll be explained in season two, and that's true, but that doesn't help the season of television I just watched

Viewers not knowing things is not a failure of the plot.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
the gangtag will link back to this thread
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up

No way did they actually kill Loial but if they did I’m gonna be PISSED.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I really loved the open, i loved that they had them speak in old tongue through it, even catching words here and there.

Overall i really like the ep, i was impressed at some of the gnarly face effects during the battle.

Also, the damane still pretty obviously have huge collars and the suldam have their big ol bracers. So i guess the gags are a weird aesthetic choice, i cant imagine main characters wear them much so maybe it'll be a thing that seanchan damane wear them, while westlands damane dont?

Regardless of what happens down the line, it's a really great visual of showing that something exceptionally unsettling and hosed up is happening

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

So now that the seasons over I'm curious what people's final episode rankings are.

I'm going to give my own rankings and my thoughts on why I placed each where I did.

Mine is currently 6 > 4 > 5 > 8 > 2 > 7 > 1 > 3.

6 was great, had no low points, and was fun start to finish and I don't know why its not a list topper for most people honestly.

4 generally is an all around solid episode, with the 3 plots all being good. It doesn't top for me because Moraine's Aes Sedai conversations are a bit clunky, and the action sequence at the end is kind of boring, but great overall.

5 is also great. Rand and Mat don't have a huge role, but their interactions are great, along with their part with Loial. Perrin and Egwene's scene is good at keeping up the tension. And Steppin's plot is a nice way to illistrate the idea of the Warder Bond to the audience, though I was a little bored with it personally.

8 mainly is carried by how great Rand, Moraine, and Ishmael's scenes together all. If that was the entire episode, it would be top of my list. Unfortunately, the B plot drags the episode down a bit.

2 is a fine episode. Shadar Logath is great. The opening ferry scenes works fairly well, and I really like the bat scene combined with the dream. Unfortuantely, the Manetheren speech is boring pandering to book readers, but at least the song is cool (I personally had no idea people even cared until I went online after finishing the books and saw people rave about it). Some of the Egwene and Rand drama is pretty "eh." But again, it balances out to a fun episode.

I appreciate 7 a bit more than after I initially watched, but the relationship drama didn't land at all for me (both in writing and in acting). Nynaeve's little date with Lan was fine, but just boring to me. The scene with with the Shienaren King also felt oddly acted. On the other hand, I like the reveal, I LOVE the cold open with Tigraine, and Min's scenes are awesome.

1 of course has major pacing issues, and fails on setting up plenty of things that should be set up. And while they got good fridge mileage in episodes 2 - 5 made me see some value in killing Perrin's wife, the fact that they basically ignored Perrin in episodes 6-8 makes me think that maybe it was a bad move. Still, I liked it a lot more on rewatch then I thought I would. The action is good, Mat's scenes are great, Moiraine's scenes are of course good, Padan Fain's introduction is cool, and Rand and Egwene's scenes looked better to me on my second watch through. But in context of everything, I can't put this any higher.

3 I wouldn't have had bottom in my first watch through, but watching it with family reminded me just how boring this episode is. My step dad literally fell to sleep watching it (okay, he was drugged up after surgery, but still). We have 3 plots, and while its fine to have a slow plot as a side plot, all 3 being slow is pretty bad to have in an episode, and the two side ones could be cut down to 1 minute each and carry the point accross. Mat and Rand's plot could be good as a main one for a slow episode if they paired it with an actiony side plot, but god despite Thom being cool and it being nice to be introduced to Darkfriends, it really can't sustain an entire episode on its own.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

hopefully next season we check in with people outside of the Two Rivers Five so we don't have to assume major plot beats

he was lurking in the background of every scene there I think most viewers could catch how he stole it without it being spelled out exhaustively.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

withak posted:

Can't believe that anyone thought that eight episodes was sufficient here.

No joke.

Well, "disappointed and confused about choices" fits me pretty well right now, having just finished watching. Weakest episode in the season by far. My gf who had been pretty engaged up until now felt it was an anti-climax and was disappointed.

I really, really hope Amazon starts giving them 10 episodes a season. They really need the time.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Rythian posted:

Wow, a reply from the man in question himself. An honor. :)

I guess that's all there's to it, then. I kept looking for something else there. I think had it just been Mat winning, I would have just said "Main character has protagonist powers and/or is awesome and kickass, that's pretty cool."

But the right after we're told the story about the legendary Jearom Gaidin, greatest Blademaster who ever lived, godlike sword fighter that never lost for over 10000 battles, except against specifically a farmer with specifically a quarterstaff.

That just made me think there was something more to it. Maybe not.

IMO the "legendary warder and the farmer" story is just one of those teaching moment parables that RJ used to demonstrate a sort of universal lesson. I don't think it was an inference to anything more, or if it was we never really got a substantive follow-up to it. It's open to interpretation for sure.

Pleads posted:

Loial being alive after an explicit dagger stabbing also is strange, unless they massively nerf the thing and change some of the key beats it is part of later on.

I assume we’ll flashback to the dagger being stolen to at least explain why Fain has it, maybe tying in to the Black or something.

I think they're making Fain much more of an inherent threat and the dagger just kind of a window dressing sort of thing than in the books. Fain in the show seems to have way more agency, at no point is he the sort of cowed, Shadow-broken ta'veren detector that we see in the first book.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
That finale was poop from butt. If you told me this show was on the CW I'd believe you.

Although I did like my boy Fain. They should have utilized him a lot more if they're going to make up plot points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well that was good but also not good. Kind of a mixed bag of feelings. They really diverted from the source material in good ways and in bad ways. Overall I liked the episode but it was kind of a let down to be honest. Not really sure where their planning on going with the next season.