Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I’m not here to argue that execution was perfect - even though I largely really enjoyed the season and think it’s a pretty good adaptation. I will say that Rafe is pretty good at explaining the changes they did make and that the explanations make sense to me in hindsight.

Also I’m guessing that the RJJ “regret” he’s alluding to there is that the early books are too Rand-centric. There really is a big shift in the books as you get into TDR and beyond where Jordan embraces the ensemble and multiple character perspectives. It all comes around in the end of the series with Egwene’s last conversation with Rand - in the end, victory over the Dark One wasn’t just about the Dragon, but humanity as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I'm probably a B too. I've read the books twice, I'd like to see some book things and maybe something a little different too.

If I wanted 1:1 book stuff I'd just read the books again. Something I noticed on a 3rd rewatch is LTT and Latra Posae Decume are wearing the same knuckle duster lookin thing that Ishi does :v:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

There were some really great bits this episode - Ishamael owned, I liked how Rand's puppydog nature saved the day, Padan Fain is a wonderful motherfucker etc. But it all felt very disjointed and a bit like things just happened, without a lot of time to get into how or why or what it means. Kind of like the season as a whole really.

I think the various cliffhangers were a bit of a whiff. I don't like "will this actor return next year?" as a cliffhanger because it'll be obvious in any of the marketing campaigns. Book readers can probably deduce that Rand was lured there to accidentally destroy the seal, but show-only people get some line about an indestructible thing actually being destructible which means ?????. It feels like the episode ends with them reminding us there's more story to come, instead of giving us some big mystery or hook to bring us back next year.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
the gangtag will link back to this thread
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up

He could see condensation gathering on a pitcher of berry wine.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

before the series started my expectations were dismal. once the first three came out my hopes definitely got up and after the fifth episode I thought drat this is gonna be pretty close to perfect. 6 and 7 did a lot to squander that trust. a lot of the poo poo I didn't like in the finale was set up by those two episodes.

the actor for Mat leaving, COVID, and the flawed nature of the first book being what it is were all pretty much worst case scenario. one of your principals leaving the show after shooting but before reshoots is a loving five alarm disaster.

if they can get a few more episodes a season, a few extra dollars for CG, some experience with what worked and what didn't, then the show does have a whole lot of potential. what we got with these 8 eps was flawed, sometimes deeply flawed, but I don't feel like it's because the show is being done by incompetent people or people who don't care about the source material. there's every reason to expect it to get better from here.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

th3t00t posted:

She wouldn't be considered an oath breaker until they ask her if she remembers her oath and then they'd still give her the chance to re-swear her oaths, and then if she decided not to she'd be made da'covale, not killed.

They killed tons of villagers in the towns they conquered in TGH. Hurin complains about all the death he smells as they pass through. People were absolutely fair game until they (re)affirmed their oaths.

rocode
Oct 28, 2011

Meddle not with Mother Nature, lest you face her wrath.

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up

*Folds arms under ample innkeeper breasts*

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
After a seriously dazzling display of raw power annihilating thousands of Trollocs by 5 mostly untrained channelers linking up...I'm curious how Dumai's Wells is going to play out and if the impact is going to be undermined by this earlier scene.

edited to remove "low powered" before people holler at me about egwene and nynaeve because my original phrasing was incorrect.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

The TV no book thread sounds like every one of us book readers at the end of a book arguing about what happened and what comes next. It is nice to see again.

And someone made a comment that makes me 100% certain Moiraine is just shielded and tied off. "The show made it apparent that the one power needs to be channeled constantly to get an effect." (Not quite the exact quote but close enough.) This would be a good way to teach a out tying off weaves.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Season 2 will be Lan and Moiraine looking for a way to fix a male tied off shielding. Boom now her arc has something for her to do. After sleeping on it I'm still fine with the ending. The show could have used 2 more full episodes

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I mean there's a couple different ways she can get her power back and Judkins made it clear that's a plot device to explore some poo poo with her and Lan in S2 because they are #1 and #2 on the call sheet but have gently caress all to do in books 2 & 3.

And you can't park your leads for a whole season.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dr. Clockwork posted:

After a seriously dazzling display of raw power annihilating thousands of Trollocs by 5 mostly untrained channelers linking up...I'm curious how Dumai's Wells is going to play out and if the impact is going to be undermined by this earlier scene.

edited to remove "low powered" before people holler at me about egwene and nynaeve because my original phrasing was incorrect.

I think the main impact of Dumai’s Wells was the sheer horror of what was happening. The Asha’man weren’t just unleashing a ton of raw power, they were doing it to annihilate and explode huge amounts of actual people. We can go back and forth on the morality of killing Trollocs, but the fact is you can kill 5,000 of them and no one will really give a poo poo. When human body parts start landing all around you, it’s a little different.

At least that’s how I remember Dumai’s Wells. It’s been a really long time.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

bio347 posted:

I'm kinda intrigued by the open existence of women who can channel that are not Aes Sedai. That's a pretty big political change compared to the books. Like, there wasn't a "we need everyone who can channel!" moment for Tarwin's Gap in EotW because it's an unthinkable ask - channeling means Aes Sedai period full stop. I suppose it's probably an irrelevant detail for the purposes of the story, but a world where the White Tower does not have a(n apparent) iron grip on channeling is a pretty different place.

The rules for this are established pretty early on in the books. If you are too weak to be an Aes Sedai, they tech you enough not to kill yourself and put you out, Break the Tower's rules badly enough, they put you out once they're confident you won't kill yourself. Refuse the Test three times, they out you out. Fail the test (and survive), they put you out. No mention of there being a ban on channeling is mentioned, but there is a prohibition against organizing,. The Kin are special because they're runaways and an organization, not because they are channelers not controlled by the Tower.

Nothing about Amalisa or her other emergency recruits contradict any element of the book setup.

Few rules:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Hexel posted:

I mean there's a couple different ways she can get her power back and Judkins made it clear that's a plot device to explore some poo poo with her and Lan in S2 because they are #1 and #2 on the call sheet but have gently caress all to do in books 2 & 3.

And you can't park your leads for a whole season.

Book 3 she has plenty to do. Chasing Rand with Perrin gives us seeing how taveran affect towns, meeting/freeing Gaul, meeting Faile, meeting grey men, darkhounds, balefire, sammeal in illian, Be'lel balefire. There is a lot there and a lot to work with imo.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

I think the main impact of Dumai’s Wells was the sheer horror of what was happening. The Asha’man weren’t just unleashing a ton of raw power, they were doing it to annihilate and explode huge amounts of actual people. We can go back and forth on the morality of killing Trollocs, but the fact is you can kill 5,000 of them and no one will really give a poo poo. When human body parts start landing all around you, it’s a little different.

At least that’s how I remember Dumai’s Wells. It’s been a really long time.

Additionally, Dumais Wells is the first time organizer Male channelers operate together as an institution. It is the birth of the Black Tower to the world stage, which is a sudden shift for all those involved. Plus of course Aes Sedai swearing to the Dragon.

It's also the first major power-on-power battle I'd say. There is some during the battle of Cairhien, with Rand and Egwene/Aviendha, and Rahvin blasting them back in turn (or is it Sammael then?). I dont remember if the Shaido wise ones get involved, but it's not nearly to the extent of the Power fighting at Dumai's Wells.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

RC Cola posted:

Book 3 she has plenty to do. Chasing Rand with Perrin gives us seeing how taveran affect towns, meeting/freeing Gaul, meeting Faile, meeting grey men, darkhounds, balefire, sammeal in illian, Be'lel balefire. There is a lot there and a lot to work with imo.

Rafe Judkins posted:

What they had to do in book two is very, very, very small. She has one chapter essentially, her and Lan. They’re number one and two on the call sheet and we have Rosamund Pike and Daniel Henney

I'm just reporting what they said and why that decision was made :shrug:

https://nerdist.com/article/the-wheel-of-time-season-1-finale-showrunner-interview-rafe-judkins/

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

That was my bad for saying book 3 I guess Judkins only ever said book 2 but seasons 2 & 3

Rafe Judkins posted:

So we talked about Season 2 and Season 3 and what they look like in the writers' room while we were doing Season 1, so we could set it up correctly in the finale. That was the biggest story we had to figure out how to tell -- what is the Moiraine and Lan story in Season 2? They don't really have anything in the book so we looked at the chapter that they have, and it really is so much about their relationship. Digging into it, and asking, "What's the core that exists there between the two of them when you really, really dive in?" Hopefully, we set them up in a place at the end of Season 1 that will really take that chapter of what they have to do in Book 2, and make you feel like there's a whole season worth of story of their relationship in there, and Moiraine putting back the pieces of who she really is.

https://www.cbr.com/wheel-of-time-rafe-judkins-interview/

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Haha taking the Robert Jordan approach and stringing out a thin plot for three books.

Mr. Hasty
Jan 12, 2004
Dick Tasty for President 2020

Few rules:

Please.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grundulum posted:

Why change things so that “anyone who isn’t the Dragon will die”, except then Moiraine doesn’t die?

I love watching book readers with this take because the additional prophecy is actually 100% accurate to the books, even though it doesn't show up in them. And like, you should know why that prophecy will come true and why it didn't happen in this episode.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Nitrousoxide posted:

They killed tons of villagers in the towns they conquered in TGH. Hurin complains about all the death he smells as they pass through. People were absolutely fair game until they (re)affirmed their oaths.
Those were towns massacred by the white cloak questioners. Not the Seanchan.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Prophesies are known for being clear and unambiguous.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Hexel posted:

That was my bad for saying book 3 I guess Judkins only ever said book 2 but seasons 2 & 3

https://www.cbr.com/wheel-of-time-rafe-judkins-interview/

Gotcha, sorry to nitpick. Yeah in book 2 moiraine literally goes to visit adalaes and vandene to learn about the forsaken and prophecies. I think season 2 can be moiraine just lore dumping prophecies, forsaken, and maybe some history of the war of hundred years so we have context of hawkwing's armies coming back.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’m down with Moiraine figuring out how to break the shield just in time to institute a “balefire any forsaken on sight, they’re too dangerous otherwise” policy.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

This is a really refreshing reaction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY_grb9q8VA

Non-book readers are smarter than we think. This girl basically likes everything that Daniel Greene hated about this episode :laugh:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

^^^ Red Laytee is one of the most insightful non-readers I follow.

th3t00t posted:

Those were towns massacred by the white cloak questioners. Not the Seanchan.

No, they were done by the Seanchan. In fact the white cloaks roll into one village while Perrin is there and the people there don't react like it was whitecloaks who killed a bunch of people.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

So, like, it's good. But I like the books more still. Go figure.

I never, ever had any sense that I would land elsewhere than this.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Few rules:

Tug boat for life.

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

You know what? That last episode? I really liked it. It might not be *our* turning, but it is *a* turning, and one which works for television. I'm excited to see what the team can do with more budget, more space, more security of tenure., and less Great Plague interference. And as a final observation - Josha is going to be an *incredible* Rand al'Thor.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

When I saw the very first shot of Rand in the first episode, I had strong "I can see how this man becomes The Dragon Reborn" vibes from him.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

• Why doesn't Lews Therin have any compelling argument for the strike on Shayol Ghul? Failing to convince Latra is one thing, but it doesn't even seem as if LTT has a reason that could convince himself. Let alone the companions. I think they were aiming for "arrogant" but they hit "idiot".
  • Why is Agelmar going to the fortress at the gap? What can he accomplish there that he cannot do from the city? Wield a crossbow? He's a general. It's not even as if he needs to get closer to send orders effectively- that fortress is within spitting distance of the city. It's basically an outwork. Actually, the geography of Fal Dara and its surroundings has been bothering me a lot for these two episodes. Fal Dara, the Gap, Malkier and the Eye all seem to be within a couple hours walk of each other? It feels tiny.
  • Having made the decision to go to the fort... why does he then charge at it? "Because it looks cool", I guess?
  • Why has Ishamael been going around all fire face-y all this time if he... just doesn't have to do that? I don't know how that fits into his plan.
  • Why, when Moiraine is threatening Rand with the knife, does Ishy not just tie her in air and leave it at that? Most of what he does here makes sense eventually, but I can't see how allowing Moiraine the opportunity to kill the guy before he blasts the seal helps him here.
  • Why are the Seanchan throwing a tidal wave at a bare cliff face? Do they hate cliffs now? Those damane couldn't have been channelling wind into those sails? Fine. Whatever. gently caress up those cliffs, woo!

Most of this is stuff I would happily have sailed over if the episode had managed to hook me, but continuously tripping over these things prevented me from getting into it the way I wanted to. I might feel different on a second watch but for now this one's getting a C.

Overall I'm left ambivalent on the season and the show as a whole. I'm certainly less hype for season 2 than I was going into season 1, I can tell you that much.

This is about where I am as well. There were some good scenes in the episode (mostly the Ishamael and Rand scenes) and then so many just bizarre and poorly thought out ones. Seriously, literally everything about the battle scene was just bad. Like, that was one of the worst walls I've ever seen in movies/tv, and that's the best the Borderlanders can build in generations? "Let's put holes in our wall at about twice the height of what we're keeping out (that they can apparently easily break open), genius! Also absolutely no tools on top of the parapet to clear climbing enemies off the wall." This isn't even a Covid issue (or it really shouldn't be), because choices like wall design and Amalisa just randomly standing in the field instead of on the city wall were clearly approved by someone, and in the case of the former were likely heavily CGI.

The funny thing is that I almost, ALMOST, gave Amalisa a pass for standing there like a moron instead of somewhere safe (like the city wall) given this episode went out of its way to talk about untrained channelers being able to accomplish great things when put into peril... except she HAS been trained and clearly knows how to channel (if weakly) whenever she wants. Also sure was great how Trollocs only remember they've got throwing spears when the plot requires it, because some of them certainly got closer than the one that pegged Moraine in Episode 1.

The cold open had absolutely no urgency to it, and sounded more like Lews Therin wanting to do it just because he could. The entire loving reason for the attack on the Bore was a desperation play because they were losing the war - and while you could still say he was being arrogant in that choice, because Latra did have reasonable concerns, it absolutely still was a case of they both had very valid points and just came to a disagreement (that arguably worked out for the best even with the Breaking... because the alternative was annihilation by the Shadow). Here he just sounds like a moron consumed by hubris.

Rand setting off into what very much look like the Aiel Wastes with effectively no supplies on him was sure a choice too - though I can vaguely give this one a slight pass if we're assuming he's just planning to walk until he dies or whatever. If it is and we get an Aiel storyline with him alone, that'll sure be an interesting swerve... or it could be, but a lot of the shortcuts they've been choosing really aren't making me enthusiastic for a radical change like that.

Not So Fast posted:

The only reason she could was being connected to the two most powerful channellers for a thousand years. Without Nynaeve and Egwene she could barely light a candle.

So her actual plan was to die like an idiot while dragging however many other weak channelers she could scrounge up down with her? Because she has absolutely zero idea how strong Nynaeve and Egwene are, and any other plan could have been better accomplished from safety atop the city walls. Or better yet, if she was really serious she would have pushed to be at Tarwin's Gap so she could take out as many as possible before burning out given they're actually chokepointed there and pressed together, instead of out in flatlands again.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 24, 2021

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

CuriousSymptoms posted:

You know what? That last episode? I really liked it. It might not be *our* turning, but it is *a* turning, and one which works for television. I'm excited to see what the team can do with more budget, more space, more security of tenure., and less Great Plague interference. And as a final observation - Josha is going to be an *incredible* Rand al'Thor.

Yeah I've gotta say his performance in this episode relieves me of significant doubt if he could do the nuance required to play the reincarnation of a superhero raised as a farm boy struggling with his inevitable insanity as he tries to save a world that hates him

Playing off Fares Fares Ishamael certainly helped but I was invested and did not lose disbelief during the whole sequence

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Few rules:

I'll have a tag please.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Re watched the Moraine/Ishy scene again, and I'm definitely coming down on the side of shielded. Her weaves go back into her, he doesn't pull anything out. He also makes like a locking motion with the little flash of power in his hand.

Also mentions that she can sense the power, but she can't reach it. Gentled/burned out people can no longer sense the power, thus losing the will to live.

The books definitely establish Forsaken can leave shields in place like done to Liandrin and Asmodean.

Is she was stilled it should have broken her bond with Lan. They both know it's still there, just masked.

And the Rafe interview is ambiguous as hell, nothing in that would make me think she was stilled.

Also also, being stilled would have released her from the Oaths, and she said she still couldn't lie.

Dingleberry2 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 24, 2021

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

th3t00t posted:

Edit: It was also extremely dumb that Amalisa chose to let all of the men of Fal-Dara die before channeling all the trollocs away.

it was funny as hell when she said all the children in fal dara had to stay and fight

Jedit posted:

The channelers in the current era are as children compared to those in the AOL and everything they do is simpler. For example, the very best Healing weaves used by the Yellow Ajah were originally just for battlefield triage. When the Forsaken show up and start channeling then we can expect to see what you want, but for now you're watching kids paint and complaining that it's not the Mona Lisa.

there's no visual relationship between the weaves and their effects (aside from the netted look of the shields). it's all just 'laser beam pointed at the sea causes tsunami' or 'laser beam pointed at the sky causes lightning'.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe just a little more forensic analysis of the pixels and we can settle for certain the stilled vs. shielded debate.

I’m waiting for an interview with the CGI guy who just shrugs and goes “idk, we just put white lines around when they do magic.”

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Few rules:

I'd like one please. Thank you.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Few rules:

Wipe out all my other gang tags Idc

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Yeah, the Age of Legends scene would have landed different if they were in a war-torn city under siege. Soldiers with shocklances and whatnot. Would have raised the stakes and given more context.

I loved hearing the Old Tongue and picking words and grammar out of the script. I’d love to see the actual actor script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

Ishamael was perfect, and the scenes he was in were mostly great. Fain was great. Everything else was in the average to really bad range.

My episode ranking for the season would be:
4 > 7 > 2 = 3 > 5 > 6 > 1 > 8

Overall I'd rank the season as a 6/10, with a lot of potential for future seasons to be great (presuming that a lot of the general clunkyness of the writing and plot in this season was a consequence of the various unforeseeable disasters that impacted it).