Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Yea that wasn't how I remembered the EOTW prelude at all.

I just started the audio book for it since the show started and for some reason it didn't include the prelude :(

It's on both versions of the audiobook I own, the Kramer version and the Pike version.

Unless you mean the prelude with Egwene that was added later for the YA reprints?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

CainFortea posted:

They just said that they wanted to build a cage around the bore, until a safe method of actually sealing the bore was found. I don't think they ever go into why exactly they think that LTT's method was unsafe.

they do. they are of the opinion that lews therin's plan was likely to widen the bore more, due to the precision required.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

If anybody is interested, RJ wrote about the Strike at Shayol Ghul here: https://library.tarvalon.net/index.php?title=The_Strike_at_Shayol_Ghul

The cold open was loosely based on this.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Devorum posted:

It's on both versions of the audiobook I own, the Kramer version and the Pike version.

Unless you mean the prelude with Egwene that was added later for the YA reprints?

Is it part of the "Opening Credits" chapter? Because I definitely skipped that because it was just talking about the publisher and such at first. Then there's a zero-second long chapter called Maps, then 40 minutes of Chapter 1, "An Empty Road"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
where's my god drat green man :mad:

also tired of rand and perrin constantly doing the vince vaughn thing with their mouths always hanging open

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Intruder posted:

where's my god drat green man :mad:

also tired of rand and perrin constantly doing the vince vaughn thing with their mouths always hanging open

Slack jawed two rivers yokels

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/Bain_Chiad/status/1474580169109221379

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I understand that the green man is probably extraneous to the showrunners but man Loial singing to the tree so it wouldn't fall to the blight was such a beautiful moment :sigh:

I also liked the eye being situated in a lush garden that resists the blight versus the drab stone

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The Eye in the show had a nice place of power vibe to it I thought.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Is it part of the "Opening Credits" chapter? Because I definitely skipped that because it was just talking about the publisher and such at first. Then there's a zero-second long chapter called Maps, then 40 minutes of Chapter 1, "An Empty Road"

Mine doesn't have "maps". It goes Credits>Epigraph>Prologue>Empty Road.

Which version do you have?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

seaborgium posted:

Sounded like the flame and the void to me, at least at the beginning.

The flame and the void was there yeah (though the flower bud thing for Saidar also is very similar to the void, just coached in different language) , but then he says basically you have to "go with the flow" and to "not fight it" which is literally the exact opposite of how Saidin is supposed to be channeled.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Yeah I gotta say, the fact that they went the whole first season without getting into Sai'din vs Sai'dar bodes pretty ill. It just feels so incomplete and lacking compared to the books in that regard. Some gender essentialism is OK, guys. Just roll with it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

The flame and the void was there yeah (though the flower bud thing for Saidar also is very similar to the void, just coached in different language) , but then he says basically you have to "go with the flow" and to "not fight it" which is literally the exact opposite of how Saidin is supposed to be channeled.

maybe he wants Rand to get swept away and burned out by saidin

e: I did like some of the flavor of the differences from the books and hope those are retained. like when Rand describes how men Travel and the women are horrified by the idea of burning a hole through two spots in the pattern

Intruder fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 25, 2021

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Ardlen posted:

I enjoyed seeing that one of the random Fal Dara channelers was a Malkieri with the ki'sain.

And the hadori like Lan!

Hexel posted:

It would be kinda interesting to have all the seals be locations rather than just a china plate in somebodies attic, they could even insert Aginor and Balthamel somewhere :v:

In the original drafts, with Tam being the veteran protagonist, the seven Eyes of the World were what sealed an interdimensional evil away!

Nitrousoxide posted:

The way Ishamial described how to channel was more like Saidin however.

Specifically the Flame and the Void, but without those specific terms

tylertfb posted:

Take a close look at the pin he has in the show. The way it is made, it’s outline is the shape of the dragon’s fang symbol. That has to be 100% intentional on the part of the production designers.

Related: I wasn’t in the thread when the episode came out, but did we discuss that in the episode where Nynaeve kills the trolloc in the pool, the blood that rises to the surface forms the shape of the dragons fang? Just noticed it on rewatch. I’m guessing that shape has been in the background in a few other instances in the show.

Here is a stupid pic of it I found showing the outline.

Good catch!

The examples I remember are:

• Lan found sheep slaughtered in the shape of the fang before Winternight
  • Nynaeve and the trolloc blood in the pool
  • Child Siuan and the burning house having the symbol in embers on the door

Intruder posted:

maybe he wants Rand to get swept away and burned out by saidin

e: I did like some of the flavor of the differences from the books and hope those are retained. like when Rand describes how men Travel and the women are horrified by the idea of burning a hole through two spots in the pattern

I think Saidin burrowed a hole, and Saidar brought two places to become the same place. Basically sci-do wormholes versus warping

The True Power slashes through the Pattern and makes a sound like screaming metal

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 25, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I should note for the people complaining about the lack of a Yin-Yang on LTT's outfit. The dragon he has IS (mostly) in the shape of the black half of the Yin-Yang.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Hexel posted:

It would be kinda interesting to have all the seals be locations rather than just a china plate in somebodies attic, they could even insert Aginor and Balthamel somewhere :v:

I'm pretty sure that's what's going to be happening. Lead the dragon reborn around for a bunch of confrontations that will weaken the Dark One's prison further until people start figuring out their dreams, prophecies, etc have been getting manipulated for 3000 years. That would feed in nicely with Rand's eventual decision to head into the waste to forge his own destiny that we see in the books.

Totally cool with LTT being the dragon reborn in his own age. It was a nice touch to make people think about the cycle of ages.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Devorum posted:

Mine doesn't have "maps". It goes Credits>Epigraph>Prologue>Empty Road.

Which version do you have?

https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Eye-of-the-World-Audiobook/B0036NHZ10?action_code=ASSGB149080119000H&share_location=pdp&shareTest=TestShare

This one

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nitrousoxide posted:

I should note for the people complaining about the lack of a Yin-Yang on LTT's outfit. The dragon he has IS (mostly) in the shape of the black half of the Yin-Yang.

I mean, great, but, not so you’d notice

Is the argument “the show is actually way smarter and more intricate than you can handle” or “the show can’t convey a simple symbolic message that we’ve been picturing in our heads for decades because ???”

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

For some folks in this thread, absolutely the former.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm almost finished with Memory of Light. Its been really really good. Just got to Galad dueling Demandred and losing his arm. Hopefully I'll be able to finish the book today or tomorrow. Its really good.

Rip Siuan and Berwyn. You were real ones.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
So, I just got back from visiting family over Christmas and got the chance to watch the season finale.

My first impressions:

-OK, this went better than inspected, my favorite episode so far.

-I loved Agelmar dying because the inhuman monsters just kept on climbing and ripping chunks out of the fortifications until they could impale him, made the Trollocs look a lot more dangerous imho

-The Seanchan are here! And they look weird! Not like I imagined them, but that's expected, the series would need infinite budget for that :lol:

The rest was interesting too, but I think I need to rewatch the series finale again, I left most of the series running as background noise until something interesting happened, but episode 8 was a bit too dense for that to work out :v:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
drat Memory of Light is loving good. Almost finished I really hope this has a good epilogue.

RIP Egwene you were a real one.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Data Graham posted:

I mean, great, but, not so you’d notice

Is the argument “the show is actually way smarter and more intricate than you can handle”

Some people are really insisting this is the case, but I'm not buying it.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Intruder posted:

Finally getting around to watching. Maybe I'm crazy but I absolutely do not remember in the books anyone predicting that sealing the dark one would taint saidin prior to creating the seals. Also in his time I thought LTT was the dragon, not the dragon reborn

yeah that bothered me. but i feel like it's in the service of driving home what happened to people who dont already know

Brolander fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 25, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Brolander posted:

yeah that bothered me. but i feel like it's in the service of driving home what happened to people who dont already know

It was a little bit much, for me. Like they may as well have turned to face the camera and explained it really slowly, in simple words, for the idiots on at home.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lmao I’m not eating that

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Why was LTT the Dragon Reborn as well? Shouldn't he just be the Dragon.

Every Dragon is also the Dragon Reborn as long as there's a memory of the Dragon left.

Intruder posted:

Finally getting around to watching. Maybe I'm crazy but I absolutely do not remember in the books anyone predicting that sealing the dark one would taint saidin prior to creating the seals. Also in his time I thought LTT was the dragon, not the dragon reborn

Yeah, that felt extremely wrong to me. It's not a surprise apocalyptic retaliation to punish desperate hubris if you knew it was going to happen, the it's a choice to start that apocalypse out of desperation.

I was expecting that whole cold open to transition to the book 1 prologue at some point, so just getting what we got was disappointing. I bet the book prologue is being saved for when we're shown that Ishmael isn't the dark one. Because it would give the game away to have the same actor teasing an insane LTT after we're seen him pretending to be the dark one. The show still has to pretend that he's the the personification of the TDO for a bit longer. We'll probably get some LTT flash backs, including the strike at shayol ghoul spread out over a few seasons before showing him and LTT together when we find out that he's just a forsaken working his plans to reunite the Dragon and TDO.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

How are u posted:

Yeah I gotta say, the fact that they went the whole first season without getting into Sai'din vs Sai'dar bodes pretty ill. It just feels so incomplete and lacking compared to the books in that regard. Some gender essentialism is OK, guys. Just roll with it.

Maybe in season 2 when three of the main characters learn how to effectively channel we'll learn more about channeling...

Hollismason posted:

drat Memory of Light is loving good. Almost finished I really hope this has a good epilogue.

RIP Egwene you were a real one.

All of them.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Reik posted:

Maybe in season 2 when three of the main characters learn how to effectively channel we'll learn more about channeling...

I've been really into the season from episodes 1 through 7, but 8 was handled so poorly that I'm honestly more apprehensive now than I was pre-premier.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

jetz0r posted:

Every Dragon is also the Dragon Reborn as long as there's a memory of the Dragon left.

There wouldn't be in the second age though. Also isn't pretty much everyone reborn? The thing that makes Rand special is that he's someone who's reborn with specific memories of the previous incarnation. There's no indication at all that LTT has that with some prior incarnation, especially since the first age is our world.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 25, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Sinteres posted:

There wouldn't be in the second age though.

There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Yes of course the Dragon existed in previous turnings, just as Elayne was probably Ilyena and Egwene was probably Latra, but the Dragon Reborn thing is totally different from all of that, and there's no indication that it happened in any age recent enough for anyone in the second age to remember. They should have no idea that the Dragon even will be Reborn (in this specific sense) until after his death.

I think some of you are being incredibly generous and attributing bad writing to some tortured logic that makes sense out of character but which the characters themselves shouldn't know or be saying.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 25, 2021

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I thought Rand was supposed to hang dong. Maybe season 2?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
You gotta accept the fact that the show is produced with tv audiences that haven't read the books in mind so calling LTT the Dragon Reborn is for them, it changes nothing in the story and it doesn't change the books. I don't mind the changes because I don't know if it's playing towards something in a future season, I think they're going to keep breadcrumbing out the prologue and we will eventually see the creation of Dragonmount and the Breaking in later seasons, but there's only one way to see if that's the case.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

You gotta accept the fact that the show is produced with tv audiences that haven't read the books in mind so calling LTT the Dragon Reborn is for them, it changes nothing in the story and it doesn't change the books. I don't mind the changes because I don't know if it's playing towards something in a future season, I think they're going to keep breadcrumbing out the prologue and we will eventually see the creation of Dragonmount and the Breaking in later seasons, but there's only one way to see if that's the case.

The books were created for people who hadn't read the books too. :shrug: I get that time is more limited in the show, so maybe teasing things out and counting on people to figure it out isn't as possible for everything, but I'm pretty sure the audience could have kept up with the idea that the Dragon Reborn is a new incarnation of the Dragon. And if that wasn't clear, it's a failing of the show in general to tell us what the Dragon Reborn is in favor of doing a mystery plot about who it is.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean I don’t really care about the 100 companions. Just seems like a weird arbitrary change that makes the line more awkward. What sounds better, LTT and his 100 companions or LTT and his 99 companions. Just like how you will round up prices to the nearest dollar, you’d just round that up.

Only reason I could see for the change is them wanting the sa’angreal which was said to be able to let you channel 100 more of the one power to literally exactly equal the amount of the 100 companions. This still isn’t right though since it’s not like the average power of the 100 companions is equal to LTT/Rand. It’d obviously be less since LTT was the most powerful channeler.

The difference is this - some people read it as “Lews Therin and his 100 companions”. It means they’re defined by their companionship to Lews Therin.

If it’s 99 others then it’s “the 100 companions” but they’re defined more by their alliance with each other, and not by their allegiance to LTT.

The second is a bit closer to some old epics (although there’s plenty of the first as well), and gives more agency to the others rather than the kinda lovely modern “I am the chosen one” storylines where only one person matters to a story. Although the plot partly rests on the Dragon Reborn’s shoulders, part of the whole idea of Wheel of Time is that putting everything on a single person’s shoulders is a really stupid idea because bad poo poo happens when they gently caress up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sinteres posted:

The books were created for people who hadn't read the books too.

Yes but people who read the books are actively reading the books

People watching the show have it on the background while they're trying to make dinner and keep their kids from killing each other, you gotta make poo poo *clear*

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yes but people who read the books are actively reading the books

People watching the show have it on the background while they're trying to make dinner and keep their kids from killing each other, you gotta make poo poo *clear*

That's certainly how some tv shows are written, particularly procedurals, and I think you're probably right that it was a consideration here, but I don't think David Chase or Vince Gilligan or David Simon (aside from one scene in the first episode I think?) were worrying too much about that when they made their best shows (though tbf they're all pretty old by now). If making creative compromises for inattentive viewers helps Amazon make more money, I guess it's good for the show, but as a viewer who actually pays attention to shows I watch, I think it's still reasonable to view it as a lesser work to the extent that it is written that way.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

You can view it in that way, but then maybe don't criticize it for some of the changes being targeted at a different audience than you? Like, they're not making choices out of laziness or desire to ruin your experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

You see, books are for distinguished intellectuals who can derive every nuance from a sentence, and TV shows are for slack-jawed morons who need reminding to breathe in again.

Obviously.

(The number of posters in the ostensible TV forum for whom WoT appears to be is babby's first adaptation is worrying, but eh, this is the book thread so whatever.)