Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Hmm

Not a good sign that we've reached a point where emergency signings prompt me to check if they're on the Generals roster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

kalensc posted:

Hmm

Not a good sign that we've reached a point where emergency signings prompt me to check if they're on the Generals roster

Kris Dunn at the very least seems better than some of the signees.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm not going to change it in-season, but do you all think rebounding is a bit overvalued? Example tonight is Josh Giddey with a 35 fantasy-point game despite not being able to make a jumper. Or is the accomplishment of 10 rebounds enough that it should get points?

E: Well poo poo, he had 10 assists too so I guess that's how that happened. The zero point double double is impressive for sure.

Rick fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 27, 2021

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

EmotionlessThug posted:

pro median gang checkin in

Yeah I like it even though I hosed up this week and left a ton of points on the bench

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Casually picking up John Konchar and Keita Bates-Diop

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

EmotionlessThug posted:

I strongly considered KBP, the only reason I passed on him is the way Pop distributes minutes is unpredictable these days. But yeah poo poo is dire. I barely know who the guy who I signed today is and I've seen like 10 Timberwolves games.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Make sure you pick up the right J. McDaniels folks, there’s two of them and they both play today

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

EmotionlessThug posted:

I was literally pressing the add player button on Konchar when you snagged him

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I did it, I hit the IR limit

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Bonne année mes amis

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Making a mistake daily that heavily costs me is starting to wear me out.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

If you mean whoever you kept on IR missing their return, I've had it happen 3 times this week for 150+ pts. Def sucks to have to check injury status multiple times between mid-afternoon and mid-evening to be sure who can go.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It's that but also just making a roster choice, the guy I choose against goes off the guy I keep sucks. Which I get is normal fantasy stuff but yeesh it's everyday lately.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I guess I got lucky drawing the Washington Generals this week cause I struggled to give a gently caress

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

I encourage everyone to give a gently caress these next two weeks. Then the initial round-robin will be complete, and we'll have a second-half to the "regular season" before we hit a bracket tourney.

Rick will have more details to share soonish.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Basically, if you haven't logged in a while now's the time. If not no hard feelings but we will probably be dispersing your team via a dispersal draft or something. It would be in our benefit for you to login so please don't feel like this is trying to get rid of you or something, we want you to return. But it would be really imbalanced to do what we're doing next if two people are playing teams that aren't active.

In fact we might need an additional GM if at least one person doesn't come back so if y'all know anyone keep it in mind.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Hey all, a quick heads-up about the back half of the season:

- Dejan confirmed that they won't be able to manage their roster any longer, so their roster will be reallocated via dispersal draft this weekend (details to posted in here tomorrow);

- I've reached out by PM to see if creamcorn is keen to GM the Uruk-Hai squad. TBD how that roster will shake out;

- The plan is to have 12 teams compete in a "Group Stage" portion(s) before we get to elimination brackets later in the season.

Will have more concrete info once I know if ccorn is returning (having a real 12th GM instead of the Generals will make planning much easier).

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Still crunching some stats to make a balanced 2nd phase, noted something surprising:

pre:
H2H Record Thru Wk12
With Median / Without Median

SaruBlew 23-01 11-01
ShadowFa 18-06 09-03
DurinCou 17-07 08-04
RondoHav 16-08 07-05
YouTolki 15-09 07-05
EricCart 14-10 06-06
SaruShou 14-10 06-06
TheOrcs. 13-11 06-06
BoroDont 13-11 06-06
BalrogBa 12-12 08-04
HoJimBoy 09-15 06-06
Uruk-Hai 03-21 03-09
TomBomba 01-23 01-11
WashGens 00-24 00-12

Based on pure record (no median) the majority of matchups are coinflips.

Balrog has threaded quite a needle, winning 8 of 12 despite also being below the Median in 8 of 12 weeks.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

lol which commish went in and changed dejans lineup so i wouldnt lose to him cause he was absolutely about to beat my rear end in absentia

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

lol so if we didn't have the median I would be tied for 3rd, but instead I'm 10th? I thought something was weird - I was winning but kept dropping down the standings anyway. Kinda sucks the fun out of it.

I understand why people like the median thing but you can probably understand now why I don't haha.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Ghost Dog posted:

lol which commish went in and changed dejans lineup so i wouldnt lose to him cause he was absolutely about to beat my rear end in absentia

Sup

Since we're reducing to 12 teams I figured it'd be best if all 12 went 2-0 vs dejan and the Generals. Would be unfair for Tom Bomba to suddenly surpass 1.5k after weeks of 800-1200.

Red Rox posted:

lol so if we didn't have the median I would be tied for 3rd, but instead I'm 10th? I thought something was weird - I was winning but kept dropping down the standings anyway. Kinda sucks the fun out of it.

I understand why people like the median thing but you can probably understand now why I don't haha.

Well, the median is about balancing for scheduling and injury-timing luck.

If you sort by Points Scored instead of W-L a similar change occurs, with EricCart and Orcs jumping up several spots. They've consistently put up solid numbers but drew a hot opponent, and you've had a bit of the inverse.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Ghost Dog posted:

Lol I 'm glad Kale did that since I set absent-mindedly set the roster's active players without really thinking about how unfair that was initially.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Red Rox posted:

If I had known how drat chaotic the season was going to be this is not the season I would've chose to roll it out.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

it is absolutely unfair that half of dejans team is better than my best full 100% streaming mode floor slap effort

im still pro median but yeah the win your game but lose ground in the standings stuff is brutal. we aren't trying to find out which team is the best we are just trying to be engaged and have fun, and while i think the median is fun you can't really just discount how discouraging the bad side of it is.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

My team is just defense focused

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Standings and schedules may seem screwy while Rick & I tinker with settings and all that.

Nevertheless, please be sure to set your optimal daily rosters. While we adjust division sizes and weekly opponents, your daily scoring results will not be impacted.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Aw drat forgot there might be early games on today.

Refs conspired to make me lose to the median last week too, by 5 points. What kind of weak flagrant 2 is this? Not even a common foul.

https://twitter.com/deucemason/status/1482883249420455938?s=21

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

If everyone likes the median I'm ok with it.

vvv I would love a 'start active players for the week' button like Yahoo because I'm lazy

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 18, 2022

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

my team is a huge wreck but also i forgot mlk games start at noon or w/e

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Is it time to cut the IR slots down a bit? There are a couple of teams with 6-7 guys on IR and that seems a little...lopsided. Maybe 4 is enough?

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Red Rox posted:

Is it time to cut the IR slots down a bit? There are a couple of teams with 6-7 guys on IR and that seems a little...lopsided. Maybe 4 is enough?
Says the guy with one injured player on his roster

Regards,
Your opponent the guy with ten injured players on his roster

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Between the MLK weekday afternoon games tripping up most of us (I spotted at least 7 rosters with active quality players on the bench/IR), and the lack of clarity regarding the schedule and setup (see note below) I'll be doing some retro roster adjusting for Monday's slate.

Like, there were rosters with multiple open starter spots and a lot of points just sitting on the bench/IR. Seems unfair and would run counter to the spirit of a friendly league, so I'll do some appropriate fixes later this week (and list the changes here afterwards).

Note:

When figuring out a schedule format for the final 3 months of the season, several factors were taken into consideration:

- Omicron obv put a lot of players on IR, impacting some rosters more than others;

- Presumably it caused some havoc for a few of us IRL too and led to line-ups not being properly set etc;

- Several teams would move up/down the standings by 4-6 spots depending on the ranking method (pure W-L, W-L plus VsMedian, W-L plus VsAverage, Points For, Scheduling Luck, etc);

- As few byes as possible should be built into the plan, since those are lame; and

- It's a league for fun, so all 12 squads should not only make the playoffs, but they should all still have non-zero shot at earning a high seed.

So, the format will feature a smaller round-robin using divisions, some qualifiers for the final seedings and play-ins, and then championship and consolation brackets.

All of this has to been set up manually, but before that we need to hold the dispersal draft. So, that should start before the weekend.

Also, there may be a slight adjustment to this week's schedule, just to balance out the divisions so they're as equitable as possible.

And IR slots and waivers per week will probably get adjusted soon, post-draft, but Omicron is still a bastard so no rush I reckon.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I don't think 10 IRs will last past the all star break but some teams are still feeling the pain. With that said it might stick at 3 or 4 instead of 2 because it has been a little less stressful.

Rick fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 20, 2022

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

^^^ I agree 4 would be a decent amount

rivetz posted:

Says the guy with one injured player on his roster

Regards,
Your opponent the guy with ten injured players on his roster

Haha I would have more but there’s none left to pick up!

But yeah that’s rough - I think you only had 6 injured this morning?

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 20, 2022

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Red Rox posted:

^^^ I agree 4 would be a decent amount

Haha I would have more but there’s none left to pick up!

But yeah that’s rough - I think you only had 6 injured this morning?
Yeah its not that bad tbh, about half of em are pretty short-term

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

I'm assuming the median isn't going away permanently, it's just to sort out the latter half of season division/tournament you guys are working on?
I.E. I expect it's probably done for the year but assuming it's back for next season? The median has kept me way more engaged than I think otherwise I would have been.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

We can toggle between Pure W-L, W-L plus VsMedian, and W-L plus VsAverage anytime.

I like the Median/Average myself, it provides a reason to check in on how the rest of the league is doing each week. Plus it's the only way (in terms of built-in options) to mitigate good/bad scheduling luck.

Speaking of bad scheduling luck, Duutchy has the most extreme case. 3rd highest in points for, 3rd lowest in points against, and fate & luck conspired to give them a 6-7 record so far.

My original idea (back in late November) was to split into Top6 and Bot6 divisions, do a round-robin, then have some cross-over qualifier before heading to brackets. I scrapped that after I began digging into the additional stats last week.

I had hoped that the site would allow for a "Regular Season 2nd Half", where it would keep existing results but allow for a soft reset of the standings so we could do power pools. Turns out I'd have to edit scores and delete stuff and blahhhhh. The best laid plans and all that...

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
It's fun to dick around with the stats. Just like last season I'm wishing for a way to download a big csv of everything just to play around.

Random observation that Rick/Durin's Coughing Kin earns bragging rights for making the most hay with a balanced roster. The Leaders tab (nested under Leagues) shows a lot of stuff including scoring by position, which is skewed out of the gate because it doesn't go off a player's position, it goes off the slot you put em in, so Steph's 50-pointer for example is credited to ANY instead of PG etc. Anyway you can mouse over values in the chart to get some additional stats, including top individual performance of the season. Steph's 130.16 pts is second only to Trae's 130.17 for his 50pt/16ast show a few weeks ago.

Leading individual performances of the season by team rank as follows:

130.17 - Trae Young (Boromir Don't Lie)
130.16 - Steph Curry (You Tolkien About Practice???)
128.37 - Nikola Jokic (Saruman Shoulda Hooped Cuz He Was Tall As Hell)
117 - Joel Embiid (EricCartman2000atYahoo)
115.5 - Kevin Durant (Rondo Have No King)
111.67 - Giannis Antetokounmpo (Saruman Blew a 3-1 Lead at Helm's Deep)
109 - LeBron James (The Orcs Were Setting Fruity Picks, But Morgoth Could Ball)
106.67 - James Harden (Ho! Jim Boylendil, Jim Boylendillo)
103.5 - Luka Doncic (Balrog Balls)
97.17 - Paul George (Shadowfax, Lord of all H-O-R-S-E)
97.03 - Karl-Anthony Towns (Tom Bombadillo Young Team)
96.34 - Jae'Sean Tate (Uruk-Hai Post Offense)
85 - Nickeil Alexander-Walker (Durin's Coughing Kin)

Third best overall record and second most points scored overall, with your single best overall performance (across 650+ games so far this season) being NAW with 33/10/4 out of the blue? smh that's a team effort

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It's nice to be recognized!

If anyone was wondering why I was so hesitant to let NAW go when he was a sub 20 contributor for so long, that's why. I had actually planned to hold on until Oladipo returned, but, well, that still hasn't happened.

I don't know if I posted this or not last time but the API claims the ability to get you data in a way you can get it into Excel which means you can get it into a CSV. https://www.fleaflicker.com/api-docs/index.html

Anything more complicated than PHP is beyond me though. I have a friend that I could ask to do something with this if none of us do such a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Remind me please how playoffs are gonna work again? Is everyone in like last year, or is it top [x] teams or what