Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Those things are so tempting at the store cause they are kind of neat, but I watched some assembly of them of YT and yeah, seems like maybe a good hobby for the right person, but I can't imagine most people ever completing one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Counterpoint: Metal Earth products make great gifts for the children of adults you hate.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

Also gently caress the pieces that require rolling

Instructions: now make a cone
Me: gently caress u

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
I actually enjoy the Metal Earth kits, but I am a weirdo who has been building plastic model airplanes and ships with photoetch for years so I already had the tools (and experienced frustration of ruining expensive etch pieces).

They are not everyones cuppa but they do build nice desktop models.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DoriDori240 posted:

I actually enjoy the Metal Earth kits, but I am a weirdo who has been building plastic model airplanes and ships with photoetch for years so I already had the tools (and experienced frustration of ruining expensive etch pieces).

They are not everyones cuppa but they do build nice desktop models.
Same, but all my tools were to big and I gave up

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I forget who was working on the alleyway, but I saw one somewhere else and found the term for them, "Booknook".

Looks like there's a decent ideas set floating out there that's hinged facades. Adding a few extra studs width and a turn down a blind alley would definitely kick it up a notch though!

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

xzzy posted:

Disassembling my microscale hogwarts to make room for different display stuff, and this assembly can gently caress off.

Talk about a fingernail ruiner.

Wait, there is a microscale hogwarts?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I forget who was working on the alleyway, but I saw one somewhere else and found the term for them, "Booknook".

Looks like there's a decent ideas set floating out there that's hinged facades. Adding a few extra studs width and a turn down a blind alley would definitely kick it up a notch though!

Yeah, that was me. That looks nice!

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Terry van Feleday posted:

Thanks! The amount of articulation is adequate, but it does have big issues with stability, the joints clearly weren't intended to carry this much weight; oddly the ratchets in the hips are a much bigger problem than the balljoint knees, it really likes doing the splits. (also some parts aren't super well attached, the kneepads and hands like to fall off a lot)

Yeah. Knee joints especially seem to have stymied designers for a while now. This is the only large mech I have that has functioning knee joints, and even then it's a rather weird ball and socket array that employs a lot of friction and gives limited range of movement. Prior to that this is probably the biggest mech in my collection, and it uses a single large ball and socket joint for the knee, which definitely gives it some stability issues. Even small mechs in the $10-$20 RRP range seem to often just skip attempting knee joints.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Snowmankilla posted:

Wait, there is a microscale hogwarts?

It's a few years old, but it's gorgeous.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/hogwarts-castle-71043

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Is that microscale or is that :thejoke:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah it's microscale.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

HootTheOwl posted:

I love the ad copy.

"buildable blue Flying Ford Anglia car" > white plate on a clear plate on a roller skate
"buildable pumpkins" > green round stud on an orange round stud

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In my head microscale is based on the size of minifigs that could populate it, not the overall dimensions of the set. :v:

Hogwarts is huge. That build is about half of the full campus.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So I'm pretty new to LEGO, but what is microscale then? I thought the little things in the ? Block set were microscale, which is why the micro-mario is like 1 X 1 X ~4 and the minifigs in the Hogwarts set mean it's not microscale.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

HootTheOwl posted:

So I'm pretty new to LEGO, but what is microscale then? I thought the little things in the ? Block set were microscale, which is why the micro-mario is like 1 X 1 X ~4 and the minifigs in the Hogwarts set mean it's not microscale.

A lot of microscale sets (especially IP based ones) include a handful of minifigs as display/collector pieces alongside the actual set. The figs that come with microscale hogwarts aren't really intended to go in microscale hogwarts (IIRC, it actually has microfigs to put inside, which are still probably not 100% to scale but are within regular Lego scale futzing parameters.)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

The 4 minifigs in the Hogwarts set are an additional display element and would look hilariously out of scale if you placed them in the castle. The nanofigs are much closer but are still often too large or small for a given area.

You see a similar thing with the big Star Wars sets, where a handful of minifigs are included despite being too large or too small to fit in the actual model.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Someone calculate how big the Star Destroyer would need to be in order to be at the same scale as the mini figs that come with it

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

bird with big dick posted:

Someone calculate how big the Star Destroyer would need to be in order to be at the same scale as the mini figs that come with it

About 40m long.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

Skios posted:

Yeah. Knee joints especially seem to have stymied designers for a while now. This is the only large mech I have that has functioning knee joints, and even then it's a rather weird ball and socket array that employs a lot of friction and gives limited range of movement. Prior to that this is probably the biggest mech in my collection, and it uses a single large ball and socket joint for the knee, which definitely gives it some stability issues. Even small mechs in the $10-$20 RRP range seem to often just skip attempting knee joints.

The Titan XP is a pretty big mech with knee joints. A lot of the joint articulation is blocked, probably for stability reasons, but it is interesting. It can be posted stably although it has also fallen off of my book shelf and exploded so it's not quite tip over proof. For legal reasons I must emphasize it is NOT a Gundam. Definitely not.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

gently caress. That is beautiful. And out of stock. And $400. Boo.

Another question,
I am looking for some cheap containers to put sets in so I can replace with new sets. Any ideas?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sad part is, $400 is on the low end of a lego display piece these days.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

xzzy posted:

Sad part is, $400 is on the low end of a lego display piece these days.
Well, that's slightly hyperbolic. Sure, you can spend a lot more on the Titanic, Colosseum, AT-AT, Star Destroyer, or Falcon, but most intended-for-display, adult-oriented LEGO sets are much less. Just because I need some kind of data to quantify this, I'm looking at every set marked with LEGO's 18+ / LEGO For Adults branding on Brickset's database (factoring out GWP & ADP). Since this branding is fairly new, this will disqualify a lot of older and larger sets like the Falcon, but you did say "these days" so this still feels like a fair metric.

https://brickset.com/sets/tag-18-Plus

The cheapest is $35, the most expensive is $800. There are only four over $400.

$0 to $99.99: 31
$100 to $199.99: 24
$200 to $299.99: 13
$300 to $399.99: 5
$400 to $499.99: 1
$500 to $599.99: 1
$600 to $699.99: 1
$700 to $799.99: 1

That said, is this poo poo still totally wild? Yeah, absolutely. Since this represents approximately a 2-year spread (2020 and 2021, plus 4 sets from 2022), we can go back 10 years and look at 2010 and 2011. In that period, there were only 4 sets released priced over $200, and one of those was a Serious Play set that didn't see store shelves. Adding 2012 to the mix for fairness changes nothing, since there were no sets over $200 in 2012.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That Hogwarts set is not microscale.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The Heads are display sets for adults.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Waltzing Along posted:

That Hogwarts set is not microscale.
Are you differentiating microscale from nanoscale and other sub-minifig scales? Because it's absolutely sub-minifig scale, and what many would refer to as microscale.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Skios posted:

Yeah. Knee joints especially seem to have stymied designers for a while now. This is the only large mech I have that has functioning knee joints, and even then it's a rather weird ball and socket array that employs a lot of friction and gives limited range of movement.

The knee mechanism (no pun intended) on that Zane's Titan is actually loving amazing and the range of motion is limited not by it but by the thick brick assemblies on the outer calf hitting the ones on the thigh. Even so it comes close to 90°, bears almost as much weight as the overlapping technic click hinge that is often used for hip joints, and is a marvelous design. I hope to see it on more mechs in the future, because the lack of knee articulation has led me to pass over several of what would have otherwise been must-buys.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I feel like when you've reduced a car to a size of 2 studs long x 3 plates high it's pretty safe to lump it under the umbrella of microscale.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Carbohydrates posted:

Are you differentiating microscale from nanoscale and other sub-minifig scales? Because it's absolutely sub-minifig scale, and what many would refer to as microscale.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what microscale is. But I have always understood it to be as small, or as close to as small, as the set can be and still be recognizable. It's not based on how big the figures are or a car or any of that. So in the case of Hogwarts, that set is not even close to this:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/34b26a8c-61e7-4ad0-8afe-c62da9bb7150

So I dunno. Which one is actually microscale?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They both are, it's an umbrella term.

Someday the community might come up with more specific designations but I imagine most people don't give a poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Microscale is whatever you built that's smaller than normal. Until someone builds the same thing only smaller (but still recognizable) and then that becomes microscale.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Waltzing Along posted:

Maybe I am misunderstanding what microscale is. But I have always understood it to be as small, or as close to as small, as the set can be and still be recognizable. It's not based on how big the figures are or a car or any of that.
Nah, it's exactly the opposite. The key word, or syllable anyway, is "scale." Scale is stuff like 1:1 (full size), 1:8 (the scale of the Technic supercars), or 1:47 (approximately minifig scale-ish). In the community, micro scale = sub minifig scale, no matter how large the finished build is. It's still micro SCALED. For a really extreme example, this absolutely enormous, 114,000 piece, 8.5 foot-wide build is well under the umbrella of microscale at 1:650.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/roccobuttliere/51256026790/

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

Maybe I am misunderstanding what microscale is. But I have always understood it to be as small, or as close to as small, as the set can be and still be recognizable. It's not based on how big the figures are or a car or any of that. So in the case of Hogwarts, that set is not even close to this:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/34b26a8c-61e7-4ad0-8afe-c62da9bb7150

So I dunno. Which one is actually microscale?

not commenting on the scale per se, but the quidditch pitch is really clever and recognizable. I don't like the rest of it at all, really

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
LEGO just revealed a Sonic the Hedgehog Green Hill Zone set, and it looks terrible. Like comically terrible.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
While I think the Sonic set does a good job of capturing the feel of what they were going for, and I like it more having seen more of it than the blurry box shot, I feel like there are some weird problems with scale.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

LEGO just revealed a Sonic the Hedgehog Green Hill Zone set, and it looks terrible. Like comically terrible.
try "I" statements like "I think it looks terrible" or "I didn't read the last three pages"

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
NewElementary and Tiago both have very good reviews up already, more thorough and a better representation of the completed thing than press images. Many sites are still waiting for their review copies.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Midi scale is also a thing, even officially. Which is what I'd label Hogwarts.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Midi-Scale-Millennium-7778/dp/B002Q0Y4EA

Really none of it matters, but imo micro scale is shooting for a scale so small you couldn't really even see a minifigure, while midi would scale well to a micro figure or a printed version of the trophy part like they did with the avengers hover-carrier

I wish they'd do more sets like that. The Tantive IV from a couple of years ago was scaled so well with the small figures. It would have been so cool if they did a little interior interior populated with them. I'm not really sure why they have never done that with Star Wars considering the scale of a lot of the machines.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
My bricklink designer fishing boat order has switched to "back ordered", anything I should be worried about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

I've been obsessed with mini/midi scale cars for a few weeks since getting the City Advent Calendar. Here are two sets of similar cars I've designed in the last few days based on the upcoming 2022 City sets:

The Christmas parade floats and Poinsettia Cart in the first shot are original things for an advent calendar idea. I'd probably drop the Poinsettia Cart in favor of another vehicle or parade float, it's the only minifig-scale thing there.