Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

RandomReader posted:

Mat's a funloving prankster. Really feeling the levity he brings with his abusive drunkard parents, and his corpse looting. It's a shame they focused on the dagger killing him over it turning him into a paranoid wreck.

Speaking of Mat, I'm reading The Great Hunt, and he mentions being on a massive winning streak. I thought that didn't happen until he got healed, but I probably didn't notice it until Mat's POV made it a very explicit character trait :sweatdrop:

Luck is his Ta'veren Trait. It ramps up slow in TGH, then kicks into overdrive in TDR.

Kind of like how Perrin's Leadership Trait doesn't really start to kick off until TSR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

theblackw0lf posted:

Having finished MoL I have to say I was really impressed with what Sanderson pulled off. Made me way more interested to read his other stuff. I’ve heard him be criticized for being poor at writing dialog but I didn’t feel that way at all.

The only criticism I have of Sanderson is that IMO he doesn't really have a great handling of themes, at least ones that last beyond a single book.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Barreft posted:

So now that you've finished, curious how you rate every book?

Having just finished re-listening to the first 4 books I’d go with:
4>>>2>3=1

Perrin’s Two Rivers stuff was great in 4. Aiel stuff was great too. Only thing dragging that book down were the two Ms. Beans and their Black Ajax hunt.

I really enjoyed Mat and Rand’s journey in 2 especially FLICKER, FLICKER, FLICKER. It’s also neat looking for the signs of Verrin being a black sister in the book too. Liked the break out for the girls from the Sean Chan

The wonder girls journey in 3 is probably their best showing so far. And they actually accomplish something in their black ajah hunt.

1 is basically the Fellowship of the Ring.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Gully Foyle posted:

Mat barely has any characterization in the books until he is healed, and most of that time is dagger Mat. Show Mat is in the same place. They still gave him the "willing to run into the fire to save people" trait (see episode 1), which is the most important piece of his character. Yeah, his parents are different, but he feels right to me. We will see with the new actor and what they do with him.

He's a puckish rogue from the moment you meet him on winternight plotting to sic a badger on the women in the green, and changing an immature prankster into a brooding antihero just doesn't sit right with me, especially since the closest thing he does to a prank in the show is selling stolen jewelry to padan fain

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Mayor Dave posted:

He's a puckish rogue from the moment you meet him on winternight plotting to sic a badger on the women in the green, and changing an immature prankster into a brooding antihero just doesn't sit right with me, especially since the closest thing he does to a prank in the show is selling stolen jewelry to padan fain

While this is true, I'm not sure "Pippen with a cursed dagger" really works when you age him up from a teenager to a twenty year old. Given how little of "immature prankster" survives past him getting healed early in The Dragon Reborn I'm not sure we're really losing all that much by bringing him closer to his post-Dagger personality from the get go.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

All the prankster bit does is establish him as an "untrustworthy rogue" in the eyes of Egwene and Nynaeve and it disappears almost completely after Mat gets the dagger. After that he's just sort of "gambler with a bit of scoundrel".

Mat's main thing throughout the books is his fierce streak of protectiveness towards pretty much everybody. Any time that he meets somebody in trouble he goes to great lengths to help them without any regard to the cost to himself, and I think the show's background is better for establishing that.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Khizan posted:

All the prankster bit does is establish him as an "untrustworthy rogue" in the eyes of Egwene and Nynaeve and it disappears almost completely after Mat gets the dagger. After that he's just sort of "gambler with a bit of scoundrel".

Mat's main thing throughout the books is his fierce streak of protectiveness towards pretty much everybody. Any time that he meets somebody in trouble he goes to great lengths to help them without any regard to the cost to himself, and I think the show's background is better for establishing that.

That's a good point. Even in The Great Hunt after his partial healing by the Amyrlin, to the degree that he has anything to do at all, it's pretty much just "be distrustful of Rand" and "obsess about getting the Dagger back." Not a hint of prankster to be found.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I wonder if they'll keep in that Seanchan soldier getting tainted. That was an awesome moment.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
He becomes much more of a gambler from book 2 onward right. Basically his thing is he wants to get money, have fun, and forget that any of the serious poo poo is happening, but his arc is that he can't avoid getting involved and having responsibility and a role in TG, and eventually he gets that?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jordan really liked the cosmic joke idea of "you open a door to leave a room, but that door just leads you back into the same room"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

El Grillo posted:

He becomes much more of a gambler from book 2 onward right. Basically his thing is he wants to get money, have fun, and forget that any of the serious poo poo is happening, but his arc is that he can't avoid getting involved and having responsibility and a role in TG, and eventually he gets that?

No, that happens after he gets healed in Tar Valon, which happens in book 3.

There is one exception to Mat always sticking around with his friends, and that's Rand. Who he tries to leave multiple times, or at least distance himself as much as he can.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

CainFortea posted:

No, that happens after he gets healed in Tar Valon, which happens in book 3.

There is one exception to Mat always sticking around with his friends, and that's Rand. Who he tries to leave multiple times, or at least distance himself as much as he can.

Mat always tries to get away from trouble but ends up putting himself in grave danger to protect those in peril despite his external and internal protestation to the countrary.
Perrin keeps trying to to put himself in peril in order to save others from the danger, but has to have others stop him because he's gotta learn to delegate like a good manager.

Rand just goes crazy from huffing that taint and talking to a reformed druggie about how to best use the one power and his exGF who's crazy and obsessed with him.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Gully Foyle posted:

Mat barely has any characterization in the books until he is healed, and most of that time is dagger Mat. Show Mat is in the same place. They still gave him the "willing to run into the fire to save people" trait (see episode 1), which is the most important piece of his character. Yeah, his parents are different, but he feels right to me. We will see with the new actor and what they do with him.

RandomReader posted:

Mat's a funloving prankster. Really feeling the levity he brings with his abusive drunkard parents, and his corpse looting. It's a shame they focused on the dagger killing him over it turning him into a paranoid wreck.

Speaking of Mat, I'm reading The Great Hunt, and he mentions being on a massive winning streak. I thought that didn't happen until he got healed, but I probably didn't notice it until Mat's POV made it a very explicit character trait :sweatdrop:

The main thing I remember of Mat in book one pre-dagger was being the guy you could count on to insist on the dumbest course of action possible to the point that one could start to wonder if he was a traitor.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Barreft posted:

Read Malazan if you're quoting that pic lol

Man I really want to finish that series but I stopped partway through book 8 almost a decade ago and the series is so loving dense that I think I'd be lost if I tried to get back into it. A lot of it owns, so I know rereading would be rewarding for some of it, but there's definitely some fat on the bone there too, so I don't think I have the motivation to go through seven books (I'd skip the books by the other author in a hypothetical reread for sure) just to get caught up (especially since I'd just burn out again and not finish anyway).

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Mat always tries to get away from trouble but ends up putting himself in grave danger to protect those in peril despite his external and internal protestation to the countrary.

Except for Rand.

First in Fal Dara it's because Rand is doing his "I'm a danger and going to push everyone away" thing.

Then when they see him with the dragon banner he's like "For real dude do not get your crazy on me." He's even glad that Rand "abandoned" them even if he's mad about it.

Then when they are going into the Waste, Mat does not want to go but goes for himself to get more answers, and various other Ta'varen things. Even then he distances himself from Rand.

And when they get back to Cairhein he actually does get to leave. He doesn't stick around to save Rand, he sticks around to save the soldiers and gets sucked back in.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Sinteres posted:

Man I really want to finish that series but I stopped partway through book 8 almost a decade ago and the series is so loving dense that I think I'd be lost if I tried to get back into it. A lot of it owns, so I know rereading would be rewarding for some of it, but there's definitely some fat on the bone there too, so I don't think I have the motivation to go through seven books (I'd skip the books by the other author in a hypothetical reread for sure) just to get caught up (especially since I'd just burn out again and not finish anyway).

I cannot recommend Malazan hard enough if you:

* love some good worldbuilding
* love some high fantasy nonsense
* love the payoff of waiting 5000 pages for plot threads to come together in a shockingly satisfying way
* love black company style mercenaries (but this alone cannot sustain the series)

I cannot recommend Malazan at all if you don't like:

* 1-3 new casts of characters every book for like 60% of the books in the series
* a lot of fat on your books

e: also gently caress YEAH FIRST GANG TAG it rocks thanks :3:

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I read the first malazan and everything was a god possibly? I didn’t like it at all. It was like reading an anime or something.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Harton posted:

I read the first malazan and everything was a god possibly? I didn’t like it at all. It was like reading an anime or something.

it's an anime written by an archaeologist with guest appearances by Glen Cook

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah it was pretty awful

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Was there a single character without god like powers?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Harton posted:

Yeah it was pretty awful

sorry I think you've misinterpreted my post as criticism

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I both get why Malazan is popular and I also get why it's disliked. I read like eight of the books in a single go while traveling on a lot of plane rides and it both kept me occupied and made me dread continuing.

If all modern fantasy is either "this is my D&D campaign" or "this is my fanfic of [other author]", Malazan is Erikson's D&D campaign and the campaign was apparently GURPs as Glen Cook fanfic.

Erikson is intelligent and inventive and Glen Cook is a good target for imitation so it's got a lot of neat stuff in it. I jus't got s'ick of it around book eig'ht.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
^^ Book 8 is even among fans the book where it's the worst slog-vs-payoff ratio. Almost nothing happens until the last few chapters where it pays off like 7 books of buildup.

I'd argue 9 does that too because even the author sees it as the first half of book 10.

Sinteres posted:

You can try the Reread of the Fallen over on Tor's site if you want some summaries and analysis of things you might have missed.

https://www.tor.com/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen/

But also yeah the people who like Malazan are the ones who like chewing on the fat so if you're not into, no biggie.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 4, 2022

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

But also yeah the people who like Malazan are the ones who like chewing on the fat so if you're not into, no biggie.

Yeah to be completely fair I honestly enjoyed significant parts of the down period of WoT so my opinion is generally not to be trusted

The friend who recommended Malazan to me told me about this great book called Gardens of the Moon and then a year later when I asked him about how cool bits X, Y, and Z were in the ending of the series he was like "what? No. I started reading the second book, got introduced to three more casts of characters in addition to the three in the first book, and said gently caress that"

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Harton posted:

I didn’t like it at all. It was like reading an anime or something

this is how i felt reading stormlight archive

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

^^ Book 8 is even among fans the book where it's the worst slog-vs-payoff ratio. Almost nothing happens until the last few chapters where it pays off like 7 books of buildup.

I'd argue 9 does that too because even the author sees it as the first half of book 10.

You can try the Reread of the Fallen over on Tor's site if you want some summaries and analysis of things you might have missed.

https://www.tor.com/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen/

I liked the books for the most part (though the two or three I read by Esslemont weren't very good), it was just a lot to read all at once and it's a series that's hard to get back into because of the sheer scope of the thing. I'll give the reread thing a shot and try Book 8 again, though seeing that 8 and 9 are kind of considered big slogs even by fans of the series isn't super promising.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Hexel posted:

this is how i felt reading stormlight archive

same. it's not very good.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I read the first ten Malazan books but I doubt I'll ever re-read them. There's just so damned much there, and its presented in such a purposefully obscure manner, that I just can't be bothered again.

When it works, it really works, and there's some amazing gems there, but it's definitely a "Do your homework" kind of book series. By book 7 I had completely lost track of which characters belonged to which rear end in a top hat elven subraces and who was secretly working for which ancient faction of dead gods and which seemingly innocuous comic relief characters were actually shapeshifted dragons. Which turned out to be a real problem, because the last book relied for its drama on a ton of sudden revelations and character reveals that I had lost all memory of, and the whole thing kind of ended on a whimper.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

New cast member

Giving me strong forsaken vibes

https://www.bollywoodlife.com/news-...d-news-1982629/

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

First thought is a Rahvin, but who knows

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Sinteres posted:

I liked the books for the most part (though the two or three I read by Esslemont weren't very good), it was just a lot to read all at once and it's a series that's hard to get back into because of the sheer scope of the thing. I'll give the reread thing a shot and try Book 8 again, though seeing that 8 and 9 are kind of considered big slogs even by fans of the series isn't super promising.

Most of book 8 is him slowly moving all the major players back to Darujhistan so he can smash them all together during the ending, which is fantastic and includes several candidates for "most badass moment in the series".

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
The mustache and nose are giving me Davram Bashere.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

MajorBonnet posted:

Guy has more followers than Alvaro Morte by a mile. I think he would need a bigger role than Bashere. :shrug:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

MajorBonnet posted:

Kind of young to be Bashere I think. My guess is one of the Forsaken.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Hexel posted:

Guy has more followers than Alvaro Morte by a mile. I think he would need a bigger role than Bashere. :shrug:

Bayle Domon is now a taveren and will be main cast next season

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

MajorBonnet posted:

Isn't Basher a later character? I don't think he even shows up in the first 4-5 books.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Hexel posted:

New cast member

Giving me strong forsaken vibes

https://www.bollywoodlife.com/news-...d-news-1982629/

My guess is Mazrim Taim

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I’ll guess High Lord Turak

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Isn't Basher a later character? I don't think he even shows up in the first 4-5 books.

Bashere is first seen on screen at the end of book 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

goethe.cx posted:

My guess is Mazrim Taim

I like this thought, but

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

First thought is a Rahvin, but who knows

That feels p viable just based on his pictures.