Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
LG is adding a 42inch OLED TV to their lineup this year so if you want to see UHDs in even better picture quality you might have tv upgrade options this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

checkplease posted:

Anyone seen the 4K uhd of Ran? I saw it in theaters a few years ago during its re-release and have been waiting to pick it up. But Amazon has some mixed reviews on the 4K visuals.

I have it. The rough thing about Amazon is that they link all the different versions together, like the UHD streaming version.

But it seems like critics agree with me, it's a good disc.

https://hd-report.com/reviews/ran-1985-4k-blu-ray-review/

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Cemetry Gator posted:

I have it. The rough thing about Amazon is that they link all the different versions together, like the UHD streaming version.

But it seems like critics agree with me, it's a good disc.

https://hd-report.com/reviews/ran-1985-4k-blu-ray-review/

Thanks. Good to hear it turned out nicely. I will definitely be picking this up then

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Steen71 posted:

Uhm... what? I have seen no evidence of this quality control. The LOTR DVDs were fine, the Theatrical BDs were an embarrassment, the Extended Editions were better except Fellowship was ridiculously green, and the UHDs of both LOTR and Hobbit are filtered and sharpened almost as bad as old Universal BDs. Also, have you seen what he did to The Beatles?

I watched all of Get Back and thought it looked pretty good overall. There’s some stuff with too much DNR at times perhaps, but most of it looked fine to me. I feel like maybe more of the issues were in first episode where they had poorer lighting in warehouse? I dunno also like 6-7 hours of this so kind of adapt after a while.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Not every label or production house gets the director in on transfers or new releases, so that's not on him.

But then why would you think his so-called quality control would have caught it?

checkplease posted:

I watched all of Get Back and thought it looked pretty good overall. There’s some stuff with too much DNR at times perhaps, but most of it looked fine to me. I feel like maybe more of the issues were in first episode where they had poorer lighting in warehouse? I dunno also like 6-7 hours of this so kind of adapt after a while.

At times? It's all the studio footage, all the time. It has been filtered to hell and back, and it's the worst DNR I've seen since some of those early Universal releases like Scary Movie. It makes the first Patton BD and the T2 UHD look positively grainy. It almost looks like the footage was computer generated. Except for the fake grain that was applied at the end to fool people.

The worst part is that the film appears to be in pretty good shape, so there was no need to tamper with it at all (unlike the WW1 documentary). It could have looked as good Texas Chain Saw Massacre. But nope, 'cause Peter Jackson seems to hate film.

During the opening montage we get a few shots that haven't been hosed over, and they look pretty good:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Hey everybody! Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy is finally coming to blu-ray.

Steen71 posted:

Get Back

I didn't finish watching Get Back but it's really unfortunate what Jackson did to it. I'd heard about the excessive DNR before I watched it and figured maybe people were exaggerating but it was really distracting until I got into the swing of it. It's such a shame that something this big was handled so poorly. Especially since I was hyped that we might finally get Let It Be on video. It's extra sad because the scenes from Let It Be included on the Beatles 1+ blu-ray several years back look amazing. Does the rooftop concert look like plastic people too?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CPL593H posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5xZ2NTq3CU&t=33s

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

I didn't finish watching Get Back but it's really unfortunate what Jackson did to it. I'd heard about the excessive DNR before I watched it and figured maybe people were exaggerating but it was really distracting until I got into the swing of it. It's such a shame that something this big was handled so poorly. Especially since I was hyped that we might finally get Let It Be on video. It's extra sad because the scenes from Let It Be included on the Beatles 1+ blu-ray several years back look amazing. Does the rooftop concert look like plastic people too?

No, but that's because Zappa wasn't in the Beatles.

You know what I find funny about all this DNR -

Back in ERs last season, the last 9 episodes were shot digitally. And the second episode they aired, they found that it looked terrible over direct TV because they forgot to add fake film grain in.

So, this push to get rid of film grain is the exact opposite of what some people do.

Or you could go full James Cameron and spend a poo poo ton cleaning up Aliens and it looks pretty good because he's obsessively insane.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
On the subject of bad UHD releases, the blu ray.com review of the Pirates of the Caribbean UHD makes it sound like garbage.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Pirates-of-the-Caribbean-The-Curse-of-the-Black-Pearl-4K-Blu-ray/303535/#Review

To be honest I'm still tempted to buy it just because the movie is great and for whatever reason I don't own it in any format, plus the UHD comes with a regular blu ray so I'm covered if the UHD really is that bad.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Too bad they don’t make you buy it with any of the lovely sequels, but then they did a lovely job with it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CPL593H posted:

Will it have the workprint version as well, though? I went to a screening hosted by Kevin McDonald a few years back and it was so much better, even if the quality was total poo poo at times.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Basebf555 posted:

On the subject of bad UHD releases, the blu ray.com review of the Pirates of the Caribbean UHD makes it sound like garbage.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Pirates-of-the-Caribbean-The-Curse-of-the-Black-Pearl-4K-Blu-ray/303535/#Review

To be honest I'm still tempted to buy it just because the movie is great and for whatever reason I don't own it in any format, plus the UHD comes with a regular blu ray so I'm covered if the UHD really is that bad.

The guy from Films At Home poo poo on it pretty hard and he seems to be a reasonable guy. His jist is that Disney doesn't really care about physical media because they'd rather you were subscribing to Disney+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8bs84FVISc

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Too bad they don’t make you buy it with any of the lovely sequels, but then they did a lovely job with it.

Making the sequels or doing the UHD transfer?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Happy Hippo posted:

The guy from Films At Home poo poo on it pretty hard and he seems to be a reasonable guy. His jist is that Disney doesn't really care about physical media because they'd rather you were subscribing to Disney+

Makes sense. Most studios tend to have their movies go to vod two weeks before the blu ray release, then go to a streaming service later. Shang Chi was released vod/blu ray/uhd/Disney+ on the same day. With the Eternals Disney has gotten even more aggressive, it hits D+ next week but won't be on bluray/uhd until February.

It wouldn't shock me if Disney eventually drops physical media and stops selling movies on itunes/vudu in 10 or so years.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Happy Hippo posted:

Which probably is the case, but if they didn't want us all to subscribe to Disney+, getting their entire loving back catalogue on there would be a pretty nice start. Like, say, Ravenous.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Basebf555 posted:

That's disappointing. Even though the series broke down and yikes Johnny Depp now, the first movie was so well done. I was looking forward to it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’d really love to see if Aladdin: The Animated Series holds up at all, but more than 2 years later it’s still not on the service.

edogawa rando posted:

Making the sequels or doing the UHD transfer?
They’ve been doing a lovely job with the franchise since 2004. Not even the reception to the pirate movie rule was entirely on exempt from it.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Happy Hippo posted:

Wow, that's a v reasonable and good review. It even calls out boycotting the UHD. I think folks should consider it! gently caress Disney for being lovely!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

edogawa rando posted:

Which probably is the case, but if they didn't want us all to subscribe to Disney+, getting their entire loving back catalogue on there would be a pretty nice start. Like, say, Ravenous.

Ravenous is on Disney+.
(At least it is on the Irish version.)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

Ravenous is on Disney+.
(At least it is on the Irish version.)

Not the NZ one. I guess I'll have to look around via VPN at some stage.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Will it have the workprint version as well, though? I went to a screening hosted by Kevin McDonald a few years back and it was so much better, even if the quality was total poo poo at times.

I don't know. The only thing that's been announced so far is that the film is being released on blu-ray. I've never seen the other version though.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

Does the rooftop concert look like plastic people too?

I never made it that far, but I've read that it's not quite as bad as the studio stuff.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I just heard that the Japanese have been shot!

Amazing news, can't wait.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Finally pulled the trigger on the Columbia Volume 2 set. I was able to get it for about $90 and in the end I just was getting nervous that the thing might go out of print.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Basebf555 posted:

Finally pulled the trigger on the Columbia Volume 2 set. I was able to get it for about $90 and in the end I just was getting nervous that the thing might go out of print.

Oliver! is a great demo worthy disc of how 4K can showcase everything that happens in a large, complex production, especially in the musical numbers that involve hundreds of people.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea actually Oliver! was probably the one I was most excited to see other than of course Taxi Driver, which is the real main event of the set for me. But a big lavish 60s musical production on UHD sounds like something that would be pretty great.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Well, you guys convinced me to buy it too. My roommate loves Stripes.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I just found the Criterion DVD of Quadrophenia while thrifting :smug:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Happy Hippo posted:

I started watching some of this guy's videos and I like him a lot, he's a lot less annoying than the average Youtube personality.

Anyway, he mentioned in a recent video that the reason Heat 4k didn't come out last year is because of a rights issue that was being negotiated, and the negotiations apparently are complete now so it's expected to finally get released at some point this year.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

I started watching some of this guy's videos and I like him a lot, he's a lot less annoying than the average Youtube personality.

Yeah, I discovered him a couple weeks ago, and :same:

Most YouTubers, tend to have some gimmick that will make me nope out within a few minutes.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Boinks posted:

I just found the Criterion DVD of Chasing Amy while thrifting :smug:

i updated this to make it more relatable

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Cloks posted:

i updated this to make it more relatable

Ive seen that one a few times, but I bought it like uh, poo poo 20 years ago ugh.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
How do you watch paramount digital copies? I wasn't really planning on messing with anything other than movies anywhere but I've built up a decent paramount collection now. Can you use the paramount+ app to watch them?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Kingtheninja posted:

How do you watch paramount digital copies? I wasn't really planning on messing with anything other than movies anywhere but I've built up a decent paramount collection now. Can you use the paramount+ app to watch them?

When you redeem through Paramount’s site they may or may not give you a choice of providers, I think it’s usually limited to Vudu or iTunes.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Eurotrip coming to Blu-Ray! That was a big movie for my group back in high school.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I quote that movie almost daily with “mi scuzi”

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boywhiz88 posted:

Eurotrip coming to Blu-Ray! That was a big movie for my group back in high school.

I'm sure that one has aged like milk.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nostalgia is a very powerful thing, never to be underestimated

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Nostalgia is a very powerful thing, never to be underestimated

https://twitter.com/CBThorburn/status/1377696492295761923

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

That reminds me of the screening V/H/S I attended back in 2012, when the fratbro notices the passed out girl on the bed. You could just feel the entire theatre tense up, and then breathe a sigh of relief when he was like "nah, I can't."