Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Does anyone have a canvas tent for working outside they can rec? Looking for around 6'x8' ish. Preferably somewhat waterproof for working outside in the PNW if this is possible and maybe not super expensive? I cant keep adjusting beach umbrellas and trying to finish wood in the rain lmao

I bought the UVEX mask someone rec'ed here and its pretty great so far. I'm going to have to mod it a little for ear pro but wow is it nice not foggin up glasses. Holy poo poo I was dying.. I took it out of the box.. loving lemon! I cant see poo poo! Go to Amazon reviews and see its half people saying what I said and half people saying take off the protective film. Oops.

Literally A Person posted:

I buy all my casters at the hab-for-hume restore. Can get some drat nice ones there for like $3 a piece. Big ol' industrial ones too.

I get all my casters from restore. Restore rocks tbh the one I used to live by has a ton of solar panel glass for so cheap I wanted to build greenhouses out of

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My experience with casters and wheels is that you get what you pay for. Put another way, beware the cheap ones, you'll save money but you'll do a lot more swearing.

When I built my tool cart I used Harbor Freight casters trying to save money at the time, they suck and the thing was pretty much immobile because it was harder than hell to get the swivel set to turn.

I picked up a better set that should be able to handle a car parked on top of the tool cart from Surplus Center that seem much nicer so far. I also had luck dealing with the guys who clean out old businesses on Craigslist, I picked a dozen decent ones for almost nothing from the guy I bought my Paradigms from.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpeedFreek posted:

When I built my tool cart I used Harbor Freight casters trying to save money at the time, they suck and the thing was pretty much immobile because it was harder than hell to get the swivel set to turn.

Harbor Freight doesn't even use Harbor Freight casters on the tool carts and boxes they sell. That should tell you something.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
This is interesting. USB-C rechargeable tool batteries? https://www.xda-developers.com/usb-type-c-power-tools/

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

wesleywillis posted:

Where can I find something that will convert cubits to rods and hogsheads?

You're only really in trouble when you have to figure out which of the, like, 30 different definitions of cubit you're working with.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Edit: Dead Deal :rip:
Not sure if this is the thread, but cross-posting since it says tools

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 31, 2022

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

BeAuMaN posted:

Whelp, in for either a cancellation or screaming deal.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

BeAuMaN posted:

:staredog:

What the Christ.

Zero chance it ships but holy poo poo I'm in. I'm a big Ryobi guy but ... Come on. I spent that much on just my impact driver.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Verman posted:

Zero chance it ships but holy poo poo I'm in.
Always take the 0% risk on the long shot that might have some chance of delivering.

So, there was price mistake recently from lowes with those AeroGardens and I only saw one person pick one up (not a goon), rest cancelled.

However, not to get your hopes up too much... last Home Depot price mistake I remember was from April of last year:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=2914751&pagenumber=1331&perpage=40&highlight=gladiator#post513833179
It was Gladiator Cabinets for ~$40. Many got cancelled. I got one, they got four, and some others I know got them.

They had over 3000 of these Dewalt units ready to ship out I guess... Hopefully it's a sleepy Monday and orders get sent out before they read the email from management :v:

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 31, 2022

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Someone is probably getting fired.

The other best deal I've ever received was on hockey sticks from Amazon. Good composite sticks are usually $100-200 each. There was a price error, supposed to be marked down from $150 to $75 but instead they were listed $7.50. I ordered three with prime shipping. Two days later I had three hockey stick size boxes on my porch and $23 charged to my card. I wish I had ordered as many as possible.

It's always worth trying.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Verman posted:

:staredog:

What the Christ.

Zero chance it ships but holy poo poo I'm in. I'm a big Ryobi guy but ... Come on. I spent that much on just my impact driver.

If nothing else, bonus tools are great to flip on Facebook marketplace. I've bought kits for the free battery specials and sold the tools individually

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Counter point: dealing with people via FB is never worth the savings

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

If nothing else, bonus tools are great to flip on Facebook marketplace. I've bought kits for the free battery specials and sold the tools individually

The last deal like this that I landed, I kept the batteries and donated the tools to the local habitat for humanity.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Anyone have a canvas tent rec around 6x8 for working outside temporarily or do I just buy a random one

sharkytm posted:

The last deal like this that I landed, I kept the batteries and donated the tools to the local habitat for humanity.

Fuckin hero good for you

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

BeAuMaN posted:

Edit: Dead Deal :rip:

Currently waiting for Schroedingers Email. Not yet shipped and not yet cancelled.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Umm ... My order shipped. Says it will arrive Wednesday.

Obviously it can still get cancelled as it's not on a truck yet but ... :fap:

Verman fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 1, 2022

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Verman posted:

Umm ... My order shipped. Days it will arrive Wednesday.

Obviously it can still get cancelled as it's not on a truck yet but ... :fap:

Grats. :toot:
Nothing here yet for me. At least one other goon has one "shipped"; three of my coworkers have shipping confirm. Nothing to report as far as stuff being physically tendered to the carrier yet afaik.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Dewalt needs a power stack flexvolt. I would actually be interested in that.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Mine were picked up and scheduled for delivery. They're on the truck.

:stare:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Verman posted:

:peanut:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Verman posted:

Lemme get that grinder you dont even want it tia :glomp:

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
I have every tool except the drill in that set (and I have 2 other perfectly good drills) but I'm still upset at missing that deal. What a steal.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I'm at "shipping label created", but the HD orders page no longer shows the tracking #.

:rip:

Edit: Well gently caress my butt, it's shipped and on a truck for tomorrow, but also still shows as an error on Home Depots page.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 1, 2022

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Bondematt posted:

I'm at "shipping label created", but the HD orders page no longer shows the tracking #.

Edit: Well gently caress my butt, it's shipped and on a truck for tomorrow, but also still shows as an error on Home Depots page.

Hopefully the error is that they hosed themselves.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
anyone have any experience w the Kreg accucut saw track?

right now i clamp a level to whatever Im cutting but its suboptimal for several reasons. Seems like the accucut is a decent substitute until i can justify a high end track saw. downsides would be poor dust collection and lack of that nifty vertical plunge cut feature. on the other hand $90 isnt super cheap either so maybe it would be better to save that money towards a proper track saw

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Verman posted:

:toot:
Hoping for your delivery soon.

Mine is being held! Saw this message:

:aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa:
It ends up it was missorted! I contacted them asking about the issue (because please don't ask shipper for instructions; they are not to be trusted.) and they said it should be on schedule to be sent to the destination location tonight. I told them "That's understandable. These things happen. I was calling to tell you to please proceed with the delivery". They said they would note it on the delivery. Hopefully it's delivered. :v:

Bondematt posted:

People have been receiving cancellation emails, but if your package was already on the truck then things are probably looking good! Hoping there's a delivery. Some people in the past have received refunds for cancelled orders that are ultimately delivered from Home Depot :v:
I've never followed up and asked them if Home Depot re-charged them later.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 1, 2022

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

BeAuMaN posted:

People have been receiving cancellation emails, but if your package was already on the truck then things are probably looking good! Hoping there's a delivery. Some people in the past have received refunds for cancelled orders that are ultimately delivered from Home Depot :v:
I've never followed up and asked them if Home Depot re-charged them later.

It's now showing as shipped and arriving tomorrow on HD's site too. I never got a cancelation email, so I wonder if they tried to stop it or if the tracking error was unrelated?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I think the bora NGX system is better, it supports a router and an t square. That said I haven’t pulled the trigger to buy either of them.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

right now i clamp a level to whatever Im cutting but its suboptimal for several reasons. Seems like the accucut is a decent substitute until i can justify a high end track saw. downsides would be poor dust collection and lack of that nifty vertical plunge cut feature. on the other hand $90 isnt super cheap either so maybe it would be better to save that money towards a proper track saw

I have the crosscut sled and it uses a similar mechanism to secure your saw. It's fine. It's not great. It only works OK to secure my ryobi cordless and it feels fiddly to keep accurate.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Calidus posted:

I think the bora NGX system is better, it supports a router and an t square. That said I haven’t pulled the trigger to buy either of them.

Danhenge posted:

I have the crosscut sled and it uses a similar mechanism to secure your saw. It's fine. It's not great. It only works OK to secure my ryobi cordless and it feels fiddly to keep accurate.

thanks for the speedy input :cheers:

a fiddly sled is a no go, i'd always be paranoid that it would mis-align. Even the Kreg straight edge guide is $50 and its just extruded aluminum with clamps and cut line guides. I'll probably just use a piece of flat metal stock in the meantime

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I just use a 72” straight edge I found at lowes on clearance. There also numerous videos on making your own with t track and plywood.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I'll probably just use a piece of flat metal stock in the meantime

I used to do this, I personally prefer a big level in case the shoe wiggles over or under the flat metal. Also the metal was too heavy for some rips I wanted to do

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My 48" aluminum level and a couple clamps has done a lot for me as a circular saw straight edge

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i just clamp a 2x4 to my work piece

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I don't make tons of long cuts with a circular saw, but I have some varying lengths of 1 1/2" x1 1/2" angle iron that I use. If you can find stuff that's 1/8" thick it's fairly light unless it's a piece several feet long.

Aluminum even lighter.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I have a long aluminum track for cutting photo mat board when making framed art etc. Its a nice 40" long straight edge with rubber on the bottom so it doesnt slide. I also have a lot of carbon fiber hockey stick shafts missing the blade so they're essentially just 4' straight carbon fiber square stock. Ive cut the broken bits off and use them as straight edges all the time, plus they're super light. I clamp them to whatever Im sawing for a straight edge, but I use the for all kinds of stuff. My rake handle broke .. now its a hockey stick.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Deviant posted:

i just clamp a 2x4 to my work piece

I'm trying to imagine finding a straight 2x4. And my imagination isn't powerful enough.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Motronic posted:

I'm trying to imagine finding a straight 2x4. And my imagination isn't powerful enough.

Running simulations on master computer and so far it seems like a straight 2x4 is some kind of quantum impossibility.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Motronic posted:

my thoguhts exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

it's good enough for government work.

i do need to find some angle iron though.