Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

So my bathroom faucet (a utility one) has sprung a leak around the base. I use this for my water change/Python system, so I need a new faucet that will work. What do other goons use?

I had to do the same thing and ended up using this reasonably cheap one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089VSYN1F/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_7GPC63NHGG3DK4G1ZABH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

ce gars posted:

I picked up a few more cherry shrimp last week and this fry accidentally got scooped into the bag as well. They let me take it since I'm sure it'd be a pain to get back out.

I'm no good at identifying something this little. A guppy maybe?

Looks like it could be (not very confident, but it wouldn't shock me) a young female endler or guppy. Might even be gestating a brood already. If down the line, you suddenly have more fry, that might be the source.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Was looking at these two:
https://www.homedepot.com/pep/Glaci...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-So...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I don't know if the Amazon one will work, is that a two or three hole? I read that three holes are when you have separate hot and cold water knobs but drat, I wish I had gone to plumbing school instead of college now.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Cowslips Warren posted:

So my bathroom faucet (a utility one) has sprung a leak around the base. I use this for my water change/Python system, so I need a new faucet that will work. What do other goons use?

Question for you, and others who use Python-type water changers: do you just dechlorinate the entire tank after the water change?

I bit the bullet on a Python, which gets here today, imagining I'll be able to T off my washing machine's hot/cold supply to ensure I get an easy-to-access and correctly sized fitting. I hadn't really given much thought to the process of actually water changing with it though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I dose Prime just after I start filling, never had an issue doing that.

e: unless you have some kind of mixing valve it's gonna be hard if not impossible to control temps if you're going straight off the hot/cold lines

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Schwack posted:

Question for you, and others who use Python-type water changers: do you just dechlorinate the entire tank after the water change?

I bit the bullet on a Python, which gets here today, imagining I'll be able to T off my washing machine's hot/cold supply to ensure I get an easy-to-access and correctly sized fitting. I hadn't really given much thought to the process of actually water changing with it though.
Pretty much yes.

I have two sink faucets on order from home depot, hopefully one of them will work!

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Enos Cabell posted:

I dose Prime just after I start filling, never had an issue doing that.

e: unless you have some kind of mixing valve it's gonna be hard if not impossible to control temps if you're going straight off the hot/cold lines

That was the plan. I was going to fiddle with t-ing off the lines into a mixing valve to the Python.

Do you dose dechlorinator for the tank volume or just the replaced volume?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I dose for the tank volume. Better too much than too little I’ve always assumed. I could be wrong about that but don’t seem to have had any issues from it.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

try seachem safe, its a cool powder and they have a handy guide for small tanks:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I've literally never had any issues with Seachem products other than having to scrounge up 1ml and 5ml oral syringes and you can just like, walk into a pharmacy and they will give them to you? #fishhax

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

Cowslips Warren posted:

Pretty much yes.

I have two sink faucets on order from home depot, hopefully one of them will work!

If you find one that works, please post it! I took the python inside Home Depot, Lowe's, and Ace Hardware and couldn't find anything that would work, including trying to use any of the adapters they had.

Since I only use it for draining, I ended up just using my garden hose because it was the only one that would fit. Not the end of the world, but it sure would be nice to have indoor access to use it on my upstairs tanks.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

candystarlight posted:

If you find one that works, please post it! I took the python inside Home Depot, Lowe's, and Ace Hardware and couldn't find anything that would work, including trying to use any of the adapters they had.

Since I only use it for draining, I ended up just using my garden hose because it was the only one that would fit. Not the end of the world, but it sure would be nice to have indoor access to use it on my upstairs tanks.

https://www.homedepot.com/pep/Glaci...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

This one looks like it can connect with a hose.

Not in stores though.

edit: Replacement work this week. Gah I want to do water changes but the bucket way is so hard when filling a 55 gallon. It's winter, I am used to being able to toss the Python in one room of tanks and drain and fill while I do other chores. I just feel like this is a waste of time when I can't do water changes.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 22, 2022

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Anybody have a recommendation on some self leveling neoprene mating for fish tanks?

Upgrading to a bigger size and making sure there is no odd pressure spots seems like a good idea.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Rythe posted:

Anybody have a recommendation on some self leveling neoprene mating for fish tanks?

Upgrading to a bigger size and making sure there is no odd pressure spots seems like a good idea.

I was told to use EVA foam which can be purchased at any craft store and cut to size. If the tank is rimmed, you'd want the thinnest material possible. My understanding is that putting rimmed tanks on mats can be a real problem.

I just finished my first set of water changes with my new Python and I gotta say... Why didn't I buy one of these earlier? Not needing buckets was amazing. It cut down the time my water changes took dramatically. Things I don't like about it: filling can be a bit of a rough current for some fish/light substrate, adding dechlor after/during filling fills me with dread for some reason, getting the temp mixed with my current setup is fiddly. Otherwise, this thing is amazing. I'd recommend one to anyone who asked. I did have to spend a bunch of money and time at Lowe's to get the thing to fit. It SHOULD fit onto my sink, but Moen are fuckers and use some absolutely bizarre 3/8" thread. I even ran a brass fitting through a tap and die to try and get it working, but no dice. Eventually I gave up and opted for a MHT to FHT/FHT laundry hose and a few MHT/MHT adapters to get things all fitted up. Next step will be to add a few wyes with gate valves so I can connect things up and mix the water with more precision.

Here's a video of my little river pigs goin buck wild on some shrimp:

https://i.imgur.com/RWifza4.mp4

edit: Wish I could resize that so my big dumb head isn't in it but oh well.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Rythe posted:

You can put down as much foam as you like but nothing will ever beat a bubble level and some wood shims under the stand or between the stand and tank. Shim it, fill it like 25%, double check with the level, shim again, fill more, etc. Or just deal with having it be like 1/8th inch lower on one side. You can get all crazy about this but I've never seen it really matter unless your floor is all fucky.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Probably going to go with the shims as the tank is perfectly leveled but has a tiny wobble in it. Was hoping to take the easy route with the mat but the tank has a rim and doing it the proper way is more important.

Need to track down some thin shims though as I don't have wood that thin around the house.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

They are super cheap at Home Depot/Menards/etc. but i dunno if Covid supply chain issues have hit cheap wood shims like they have all other wood products.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

They are super cheap at Home Depot/Menards/etc. but i dunno if Covid supply chain issues have hit cheap wood shims like they have all other wood products.

Doesn't seem like it, from what I've seen.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I was topping up the water in my tank just now and I found a surprise.

Hard to get a photo of but that little black stripe on the right side of the Nymphoides aquatica pad there is some kind of fry. I thought all of the fish were still too young for breeding so I really wasn't expecting it. The only things in there are Corydoras habrosus and Pseudomugil luminatus so it must be one of the two, and the male Pseudomugil have started looking more adult so maybe it's them. I assume someone will end up eating it, but is there anything I should do to give the little guy a fighting chance?

ce gars
Dec 31, 2007

My Corys breed like crazy and their fry look a lot like that, though it's hard to say for sure since it's so small.

Best thing to do aside from getting a breeder box is to have plenty of places for the fry to hide. Since you have a planted tank I'd say you're all good.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
How fast does Purigen clear tannins?

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
New aquarium hassle just dropped: the cat who chews through the vinyl air tube and manages to dislodge the bubble wall air stone and uproot some plants at the same time.

I'm going to sew a fabric sleeve to go over the replacement tubing so it doesn't have that plastic texture she loves to bite so much.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

New aquarium hassle just dropped: the cat who chews through the vinyl air tube and manages to dislodge the bubble wall air stone and uproot some plants at the same time.

I'm going to sew a fabric sleeve to go over the replacement tubing so it doesn't have that plastic texture she loves to bite so much.

Could try tinfoil when that doesn't work!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

You can just cut a 36-48" length of tubing and use it to play with the cat and they will associate that particular chunk as a toy. I also have 2 12" chunks for throwing. Cats love aquarium tubing but once you give them their own they stop going for the tubes you actually use. Mine did at least. She's 15+ years old and this has worked for me for about as long. Not all cats are the same but having her own tubes? She loves it and my aquariums stay untouched.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

She likes silicone tubes better than vinyl but I've used both to good effect re: not getting my tubes hosed up.

ce gars
Dec 31, 2007

Have you even truly lived until you took a poo poo that's two body lengths long while continuously eating?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Every time I see my pleco sucking on the glass there's a giant turd on the way and a pile below her. Truly my spirit animal.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I was told y'all would appreciate this. And/or run away screaming.

https://i.imgur.com/FMfbGut.mp4

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Usually this guy is always right up against the glass if he as much as feels the vibrations of footsteps approaching. Kinda surreal to see him chilling.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Leal posted:

Usually this guy is always right up against the glass if he as much as feels the vibrations of footsteps approaching. Kinda surreal to see him chilling.

Whoa cool.

What is it?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

He's not just stuck with no reverse gear right?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Entorwellian posted:

Whoa cool.

What is it?

Green cichlid

VelociBacon posted:

He's not just stuck with no reverse gear right?

Yeah he later moved out when he saw me, then assumed normal "Go right up to the edge of the tank and stare you down" protocols.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

I thought I might have to do some dentistry on my Amazon puffers at some point, but not like this.

Dumb dumb here has managed to get a snail stuck in his mouth. It's been there for less than a day, but he doesn't seem to be able to spit it out. I suppose I'm going to have to net him and extract it, yeah?

On a slightly more positive note, my water lettuce is flowering like crazy. Seems like every plant has a flower. Didn't realize they'd do that.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Kinda a weird topic, but I found one of my zebra pleco skeletons. Been dry for a year or two. Could I preserve it in resin?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I got an emerald mithrax crab for my frag tank and I adore him. He looks like a little hamburger with legs.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

My nymphoides aquatica continue to be a problem. Whenever I see them in videos or photos or whatever in other people's tanks they have small reasonable leaves, but the largest leaves on mine are literally the size of my hand. They're covering the entire bottom of the tank where they are now. I may have to get another tank just so I have somewhere to put them :(.

Do aquatic plants respond alright to pruning? I may try snipping some off and seeing if they'll chill out now that they have floating leaves as well.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Wallet posted:

My nymphoides aquatica continue to be a problem. Whenever I see them in videos or photos or whatever in other people's tanks they have small reasonable leaves, but the largest leaves on mine are literally the size of my hand. They're covering the entire bottom of the tank where they are now. I may have to get another tank just so I have somewhere to put them :(.

Do aquatic plants respond alright to pruning? I may try snipping some off and seeing if they'll chill out now that they have floating leaves as well.

Yeah, depending on your plant species/light/nutrient situation frequent pruning can be a normal part of keeping a planted tank

Specifically with Nymphoides, some people like to prune off all of the floating leaves in order to encourage a fuller/tighter/bushier/more compact/way more underwater growth pattern

But yeah, some of those Instagram-tier tanks with the lush layer cake look and the CO2 lines and the aqua soil are getting clipped every week

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah, depending on your plant species/light/nutrient situation frequent pruning can be a normal part of keeping a planted tank

Specifically with Nymphoides, some people like to prune off all of the floating leaves in order to encourage a fuller/tighter/bushier/more compact/way more underwater growth pattern

I actually like the floating leaves, but I wasn't expecting the underwater growth to get so yuge. They still have a couple of their "original" leaves that are maybe an 1 1/2 x 1 1/2" inches or so, but they also both have three or four leaves that must be 5 or 6 inches wide. I have a little sand patch in the front where I usually feed the corys but I can't get food down there anymore unless I shake it off the leaves. There's a poor crypt under one of them that's probably dying of light deprivation by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Wallet posted:

I actually like the floating leaves, but I wasn't expecting the underwater growth to get so yuge. They still have a couple of their "original" leaves that are maybe an 1 1/2 x 1 1/2" inches or so, but they also both have three or four leaves that must be 5 or 6 inches wide. I have a little sand patch in the front where I usually feed the corys but I can't get food down there anymore unless I shake it off the leaves. There's a poor crypt under one of them that's probably dying of light deprivation by now.

time to get your second tank :getin: