Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One thing I think is worth remembering is that the Good Ol' Days didn't exist in a vacuum.

A lot of the earliest games were intentionally obtuse either to encourage players to work together or to sell guidebooks depending on how negative you like to feel. When you discuss exploration that is an important factor because most people who played these games early probably would shell out the cash for a guidebook if they got stuck. Once the internet started getting bigger that was replaced by Gamefaqs and other sites which effectively offered explanations on how to go places or find secrets.

The 'true experience' of playing older games isn't just the game because that isn't how they were designed. Information was contained in the manual, some games came with fold-out maps or insanely thick instruction manuals, guidebooks were an expected resource if you were willing to shell out the cash, and things like Famitsu and Nintendo Power specifically focused on giving maps/hints/etc to games

For all the people who like to go "Old games were better, they didn't hold your hand so much" they often forget that was because they intentionally obfuscated things (or just had bad design.) When discussing playing Final Fantasy it's easy for people to forget they dropped $15 on the Official Guide To Final Fantasy III or their friend on the playground told them this rumor about how you can TOTALLY recruit this super strong character by getting a game over against a random enemy.

You can say "Well that wasn't part of the game" but to be honest it was. Developers have gone on record as stating that guidebooks were considered and designed around. Hell ask anyone who worked on physical guides, that poo poo was often intentional marketing. (See the hilarious FF9 PlayOnline bullshit.) The idea that gamers these days are babies who need their hand held ignores that gamers in the old days were babies who needed their hand held too, just in different ways. And our DLC was "Drop entirely too much money to find out how to get out of a dungeon + some artwork and maybe interviews" instead of "Drop entirely too much money to wear a pretty hat."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Got to make old games super hard so they end up having to rent them several times. Some even got made intentionally harder so you had to rent them many times.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

Got to make old games super hard so they end up having to rent them several times. Some even got made intentionally harder so you had to rent them many times.
That anxious feeling when you get home from school on Tuesday and go to the rental store to rent Lufia II again (half price Tuesday), praying some jerk didn't overwrite your save. Old games felt way longer than they really were back then.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

ninety five loving us dollars for lufia 2 you bet your rear end i rented that 4 times for $20 total

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Shabadu posted:

ninety five loving us dollars for lufia 2 you bet your rear end i rented that 4 times for $20 total

I rented it once over a long weekend, printed out a bunch of gamefaqs stuff at the library and binged it over 1 weekend

man I would kill for a Lufia 2 Pixel Remake

e: I even made it to the bottom of the Ancient Cave :smuggo:

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Hellioning posted:

The only point of Jachol is a piano (and I suppose the first time you can get a ninja suit in a shop). Like I get your point (at least I think I do) but bard was not exactly your DPS bread and butter in the previous two games (especially considering you might not have even played either game, especially since III wasn't released in the west until after V, twice). Istory is more worthwhile, I agree, though again you get a bard song. Also you don't actually have a bard yet.

That being said, not everyone would have noticed that there are exactly there places to go or that each one of them is in a different corner of the map. Giving someone a giant map and expecting them to know where they've already been, where they can now go to, and then doing it once again as soon as they find the 'critical path' as you put it is very annoying to deal with for someone who didn't already know where to go. And I know this because I was very frustrated on my first play through of FFV, long before I knew what a four job fiesta even was.

Ninja and Summoner. While the Mage Masher's not super-exciting in and of itself outside of 4JFs, it is the optimal at least offhand for Ninjas (depending on how many of the also-optional Mains Gauche you found) until world 2. I'd also argue that someone with good genre and series knowledge by specifically 1991 standards is going to be excited by the Ashura even though they can't equip it yet, since each previous FF games had at least one of katanas or knight swords be extremely special, and it's the first one of either you see in 5.

But the key point I'm making is that the idea is very annoying in a particular mindset where you know a big-budget, flashy game has a specific thing you need to do to see all the plot and you know the plot is the point. Someone who's actually new to games isn't going to be sure whether there's a strict single plot, an open-ended set of vignettes, alternate plots based on their actions, or just a number of tools in an open world which they can refine their understanding and mastery of. Not knowing where to go to progress the plot, yet feeling the need to progress the plot, isn't the default human state, it's the state of someone already trained by a common, sometimes hegemonic, but never universal conception, a frustration trap for those who have played games but only ones that worked like that, rather than those who have played no games at all.

Which is why the kulturkampf lines laid down in the late '90s through early '00s, to assume that anyone who discounts that frustration is themselves assuming

ImpAtom posted:

that gamers these days are babies who need their hand held

strikes me as so confused. Minecraft, the canonical ~game for babies~ from 2010 or so on, the one that's wildly popular as edutainment or a gift for a young relative who's just gotten their first console, is a game that operates on what's being presented as grognard rules: you must see what's over the next hill yourself rather than having the game point you there, because it's only algorithmically generated when you get there.
So whatever the value or lack thereof this approach is, it's not linked to maturity, not even generational except in the respect of having been more prevalent for some generations and less prevalent for others with no fixed trend. Those who like it can't be bitter old men when they're outnumbered in their camp by tens of millions of preteens; those who dislike it can't be championing the needs of less-genre-savvy players when the players who are still working on genre savviness in tying their own shoes are quite satisfied by it. To take a categoric view of it, to consider it an accessibility question in the same lines as the very real problems with poorly-legible text or sound or color only cues, is an uncomfortable conversion of the tastes which coalesced in particular eras into eternal, universal signifiers. So I accept that you may have found that open-endedness frustrating, certainly don't mind games that consciously avoid it at all, but also welcome it as a hint of variety for people who may have different backgrounds or tastes and might prefer something different, or even elements of both in one package, and will do so until those are the dominant metaphor, at which point I'll then be pleased when I find a comparatively-rare cohesive and scripted experience.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 5, 2022

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

ImpAtom posted:

The thing about glowing arrows is that basically every game that has them and isn't a linear line has the option to turn them off. Including them hurts nobody.

I think people are afraid that a game company will get lazy and rely too much on quest arrows without giving the player both options.

To use the example of Morrowind vs Oblivion/Skyrim that was mentioned, Morrowind didn't have quest markers but NPCs would give you directions where to go (and sometimes would be unsure and give you a vague lead). The design of Morrowind backed this and you'd have ways to find out where to go (like road signs and stuff like that). It's totally fine if a mod or remake adds optional quest markers to Morrowind, you lose nothing by turning them off.

Oblivion changed this and made the quest design entirely dependent on quest markers. It's totally acceptable for an NPC in that game to say "Hello Hero of Kvatch. I lost my dog. Can you find it for me?" And nothing else, because a quest marker will pop on the other side of Cyrodiil showing exactly where you need to go. Skyrim follows this. If the player removes quest markers in those games, they are completely hosed. There's nothing else to guide them. Bethesda did not give options to the player, they sabotaged one way of playing in favor of the other.

FFXIV has both types of quests, to bring this back to Final Fantasy. Most work like Oblivion/Skyrim and you are dependent on the markers. And then once upon a time the game will ask you to please pay attention to the dialogue because the next quest demands exploration.

So i think people are afraid because they like free exploration but think Squeenix would be a Bethesda and only support one way of playing.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 5, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Minecraft is Legos. The point of the game is not to beat it. It tosses you in a playground. Saying "people like Minecraft" ignores why Minecraft is different. Also Minecraft videos and tutorials are insanely popular. Like they are a massive part of its success

The fact you assume I don't like games that let me get lost is on you however. I love poo poo that surprises me. I just am aware what I like isn't always what is the best for anything but niche. I grew up on hard games, I fuckin' loved the days before everything was datamined two weeks before the game is out. I think it's fun to feel overwhelmed. I am not saying this because it represents the games I most enjoy playing. I'm saying it because retroactively pretending that the average person playing a game enjoys feeling frustrated is in direct contradiction to everything we've seen through the history of gaming.

Frionnel posted:

I think people are afraid that a game company will get lazy and rely too much on quest arrows without giving the player both options.

To use the example of Morrowind vs Oblivion/Skyrim that was mentioned, Morrowind didn't have quest markers but NPCs would give you directions where to go (and sometimes would be unsure and give you a vague lead). The design of Morrowind backed this and you'd have ways to find out where to go (like road signs and stuff like that). It's totally fine if a mod or remake adds optional quest markers to Morrowind, you lose nothing by turning them off.

Oblivion changed this and made the quest design entirely dependent on quest markers. It's totally acceptable for an NPC in that game to say "Hello Hero of Kvatch. I lost my dog. Can you find it for me?" And nothing else, because a quest marker will pop on the other side of Cyrodiil showing exactly where you need to go. Skyrim follows this. If the player removes quest markers in those games, they are completely hosed. There's nothing else to guide them. Bethesda did not give options to the player, they sabotaged one way of playing in favor of the other.

FFXIV has both types of quests, to bring this back to Final Fantasy. Most work like Oblivion/Skyrim and you are dependent on the markers. And then once upon a time the game will ask you to please pay attention to the dialogue because the next quest demands exploration.

So i think people are afraid because they like free exploration but think Squeenix would be a Bethesda and only support one way of playing.

I absolutely get that but it's worth noting that is Bethesda. To use an example of another terrible company, fuckin' Ubisoft has made "You can play the game without any markers" a literal selling point for their last few Assassin's Creed and other games are doing similar. It isn't even about good company vs bad company. It's just depending on how you want to design, and if cookie cutter rear end Asssassin's Creed games can be played that way I don't think it's worth stressing out at the idea of everything being that way. Bethesda just kinda sucks.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 5, 2022

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

There was an invisible monster that killed my whole party.

Sometimes the vanish dooms you!

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I absolutely get that but it's worth noting that is Bethesda. To use an example of another terrible company, fuckin' Ubisoft has made "You can play the game without any markers" a literal selling point for their last few Assassin's Creed and other games are doing similar. It isn't even about good company vs bad company. It's just depending on how you want to design, and if cookie cutter rear end Asssassin's Creed games can be played that way I don't think it's worth stressing out at the idea of everything being that way. Bethesda just kinda sucks.

Just in the interest of being fair, Bethesda didn't make that change completely out of lazyness. They made the decision that Oblivion would be fully voice acted while also blowing their entire budget on Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean, and removing NPC directions let them cut the number of lines needing to be written and voiced. So uhm, incompetence and lazyness.

But i don't know anything about Assassin's Creed. Did Ubisoft actually make it viable and fun to play the game without markers?

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 5, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Frionnel posted:

Just in the interest of being fair, Bethesda didn't make that change completely out of lazyness. They made the decision that Oblivion would be fully voice acted while also blowing their entire budget on Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean, and removing NPC directions let them cut the number of lines needing to be written and voiced.

But i don't know anything about Assassin's Creed. Did Ubisoft actually make it viable and fun to play the game without markers?

Surprisingly yes. The NPCs tend to give directions that are at least reasonably based on landmarks and stuff and they focus enough on trying to make the areas 'realistic' that you can puzzle things out. You do have the ability to scout with magical eagles of course but that's kinda different from "GO HERE NOW." AC has a lot of problems but at very least if you want to explore a reasonably fun version of an ancient area it does it well.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Minecraft is Legos. The point of the game is not to beat it. It tosses you in a playground. Saying "people like Minecraft" ignores why Minecraft is different. Also Minecraft videos and tutorials are insanely popular. Like they are a massive part of its success

The fact you assume I don't like games that let me get lost is on you however. I love poo poo that surprises me. I just am aware what I like isn't always what is the best for anything but niche.

I'm taking you at your own word, that you think they're niche. They're quite obviously not, and in any case "what you can do with these tools" discussion--apart from not actually giving you direction, which was how we got onto this--would be very similar to how FF5 would work if it it were truly aimless and we could only share job combos.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/YunalesckaGames/status/1489498506909741058?s=20&t=vZp4e9Fh6oQf-KBvsbciGw

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

drat, those look good.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I just finished FFVII Remake and despite the fact that its nothing but insane time travel nonsense the only thing that struck me as truly unbelievable was Biggs surviving. You could have left Biggs dead and no one in the world would care, and he doesn't even have the contrived excuse of not being directly on the tower like Wedge did.

Also there's something inherently funny about killing the anthropomorphic concept of fate and getting 1400 gil out of it. It's not even a big amount for NG+ or anything, fate was just carrying around some pocket change.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

This is suspicious in such a promising way. You wouldn't release high-quality figures from a cult classic 90s game for nothing, surely? There's something else bringing this into attention?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Please let it be a port of Final Fantasy Tactics on the Switch.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They're releasing it for a lot of money. Stuff far more obscure than a PS1 FF game gets pricey merch all the time. Heck, weren't people just talking about a Vagrant Story fig a bit ago?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Figures aren't canon, they have noses.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cleretic posted:

This is suspicious in such a promising way. You wouldn't release high-quality figures from a cult classic 90s game for nothing, surely? There's something else bringing this into attention?

Sorry but they put out Xenogears and Vagrant Story figures last year too.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Cleretic posted:

The Nvidia GeForce leaks brought a FFT Remaster to light. Then there was a play test survey that went out around the same time asking questions related to a bunch of tactical games while specifically mentioning the FFT DS games, the PSX version, and the iOS/Android version. People thought it was weird the same game was mentioned so many times in a general survey, so here’s hoping.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

FFT should be a FF14 minigame

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Watching FF7 and FF7R reviewer Tim Rogers guide his partner through playing The Last of Us right now. Seeing a relative neophyte to AAA games getting absolutely lost and turned around every 10 minutes in an ultra-linear, highly signposted game, and remembering the earlier conversation that anyone who needs navigation aids in games is weak and ruining things for everyone else

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Super No Vacancy posted:

FFT should be a FF14 minigame

Lord of Verminion Tactics

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

pretty soft girl posted:

Does PS4 still hold up? I've heard so many good things about it but I've never gotten around to playing it. I finally played through all three chapters of shining force 3 last year so I could definitely stand to scratch that Sega rpg itch some more

I mean this is going to be heavily biased because of nostalgia but yea, I'd say PS4 holds up. It does a lot really well, like the already mentioned comic book style cutscenes, it has combination techs like Chrono Trigger, it's a pretty huge game, the soundtrack is Genesis AF and slaps, and it has a great cast. The biggest problems with it I think are going to be necessary grinding, and the dungeons are pretty long and some of them are can be a little confusing. It also has a ton of references to the other 3 Phantasy Stars so some of that won't hit if you don;t have any experience with them. I want to say PS4 is on the Sega Genesis Collection so it's pretty easy to get a hold of.

Shabadu posted:

Lufia 2 is loving awesome too. It's really amazing how much better it is than the first Lufia, and the Ancient Cave was awesome when you were a kid and got a few games a year. Shame about the bizarre map bugs that came with the US version.

Gaius Marius posted:

Having the one sabotaging the work be a nobody Octopus is just baffling.

Yikesaroo.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I just remembered this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZJxYLoun7g

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I wish we really had this

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Lord of Verminion Tactics

this is island sanctuary

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

FFXV? That was the best thing about teh game. Lol at its main plot.

FFXV has a plot?

I mean, it's bros road tripping their buddy to his wedding and enjoying some quality monster hunting while occasionally some guys drop out of the sky to try and kill them? Also maybe there's a war?

I dunno, I'm only on chapter 9 (just arrived in not-Venice) and it seems like most of the story is happening off screen.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Watching FF7 and FF7R reviewer Tim Rogers guide his partner through playing The Last of Us right now. Seeing a relative neophyte to AAA games getting absolutely lost and turned around every 10 minutes in an ultra-linear, highly signposted game, and remembering the earlier conversation that anyone who needs navigation aids in games is weak and ruining things for everyone else

I found this an excellent look at how not understanding the "language of games" can make them very difficult for people not versed in them. It's similar to how conjugating definite articles in German is easy if you study a bit and are exposed to it a lot, but if you're a native English speaker and have zero idea what the difference is between the "dative" and "genitive" cases are...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax7f3JZJHSw

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cleretic posted:

Like how they wouldn't make those high-quality models for that Chrono Cross crossover event in that gacha game if they weren't going to announce something?

Like I enjoyed FFT as much as the next guy, it was basically my introduction to SRPGs as a kid, but none of this means anything and you're all reading tea leaves.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

They released an Ashley Riot play arts figure not too long ago. If you don't recognize that name that's okay, because the game sucked and was bad

But the point is we're not getting Vagrant Story Redux or anything

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Super No Vacancy posted:

this is island sanctuary

Is this something that's gonna be available right away or do I need to get through Endwalker first?

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Is this something that's gonna be available right away or do I need to get through Endwalker first?

from its very nature, I pray to the twelve they only do something like limit it to level 15 and do whatever unlock quest

(we don't know yet)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

You'll probably need to get through it first, and it's not going to be out until at least 6.1, March or later.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Commander Keene posted:

Like how they wouldn't make those high-quality models for that Chrono Cross crossover event in that gacha game if they weren't going to announce something?

Like I enjoyed FFT as much as the next guy, it was basically my introduction to SRPGs as a kid, but none of this means anything and you're all reading tea leaves.

There are absolutely going to be Chrono Cross and FFT remasters and they will be released on the Switch Pro.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Toph Bei Fong posted:

FFXV has a plot?

I mean, it's bros road tripping their buddy to his wedding and enjoying some quality monster hunting while occasionally some guys drop out of the sky to try and kill them? Also maybe there's a war?

I dunno, I'm only on chapter 9 (just arrived in not-Venice) and it seems like most of the story is happening off screen.

Well, I'm afraid I have to warn you that there is only plot left after this point.

And surprise surprise, it's not very good and the worst part of the game by leaps and bounds. There are a few bright spots here and there, though.

But yes, FFXV is Bros Go Fishing and Hunting. Especially fishing. I love that minigame so drat much.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'll give the VI crew credit, they're at least smarter than P4's clue crew seeing them actually question if Gestalt is full of poo poo with the peace talk. Too bad their still just going to do exactly what he needs them to do, after Kefka literally moments ago told them Gestalt predicted their moves and was already using them.

I really wish the game would stop trying to make me use Locke. I didn't like him already, but finding that he crippled his girlfriend and then had some weirdo keep her body in his basement is a bit loving much.

Also the end of the Magitek facilty was highly anticlimactic, I'm in the heart of the empire give me a worthy fight. Instead I get some timed narrative fight in a garbage chute and evil arms? C'mon

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I really wish the game would stop trying to make me use Locke. I didn't like him already, but finding that he crippled his girlfriend and then had some weirdo keep her body in his basement is a bit loving much.

That isn't actually what happened. There was an accident that gave her amnesia and her dad took the chance to run Locke off and Locke was blaming himself. Then while Locke wasn't there the Imperials invaded and she was caught in the crossfire and Locke's keeping her on magical life support looking for a way to save her.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

But yes, FFXV is Bros Go Fishing and Hunting. Especially fishing. I love that minigame so drat much.

:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Literally laughed out loud playing the Yuffie FFVIIR DLC when they revealed the Fort Condor minigame. Does it suck as much as the original Fort Condor minigame? Is that even possible?