Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ToxicFrog posted:

Looking back at my journal entry for the book, it's because the government tried to force him to do work that would benefit society somewhat rather than just loving everyone else over in order to become rich.

He refused, so they mindwiped him and then tried to execute him (I don't think it's ever explained why they did both), but because he's a genius polymath unparalleled in every academic field and a master of half a dozen different schools of martial arts and an expert marksman and a master tactician and strategist (really), he anticipated this well in advance and set up an intricate plot that would result in him being set free post-mindwipe with everything he needs to enact his revenge.

The rest of the book is about him destroying the one world government (resulting in billions of deaths) because it's the right thing to do, IIRC. I think there was also something about orbital bombardment in there, but I may be getting that part mixed up with something else.

Writing that out it actually reminds me a lot of K.J. Parker's Engineer trilogy, although even more unhinged.

I’m repulsed and excited to read this at the same time. It sounds completely up its own rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Writing that out it actually reminds me a lot of K.J. Parker's Engineer trilogy, although even more unhinged.

I think the big difference is that while both Parker and Asher have a protagonist who thinks they're fully justified in their actions, only one of them wants the reader to agree.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I’m repulsed and excited to read this at the same time. It sounds completely up its own rear end in a top hat.

It’s as pleasant to experience as the Daily Mail opinion section

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I asked a similar question over in the general book recommendation thread, but I figured I'd ask here too: what are some fantasy novels that do politics, large-scale war, shifting alliances, betrayal, subterfuge, etc, well? I've been playing Tactics Ogre and want a good fantasy novel that has the same feel as that or Final Fantasy Tactics. I know the plot of both of those get a bit batshit but the initial war for succession and bands of partisans warring for control of territory is really interesting to me. I looked around online for some suggestions but most of the results I found say ASoIaF which I've read, but honestly I think the politics and intrigue are kind of the most hamfisted aspects of GRRM's books. I'd also be okay with historical fiction.

The Lions of Al-Rassan, Dune, and the Terra Ignota books were mentioned in the other thread (and some that are more historical fiction), so I've got those on my list already. I know Terra Ignota doesn't precisely fit what I'm looking for but I read Too Like The Lightning when it first came out and I think it's at least in the ballpark of the feel I want.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

MockingQuantum posted:

I asked a similar question over in the general book recommendation thread, but I figured I'd ask here too: what are some fantasy novels that do politics, large-scale war, shifting alliances, betrayal, subterfuge, etc, well? I've been playing Tactics Ogre and want a good fantasy novel that has the same feel as that or Final Fantasy Tactics. I know the plot of both of those get a bit batshit but the initial war for succession and bands of partisans warring for control of territory is really interesting to me. I looked around online for some suggestions but most of the results I found say ASoIaF which I've read, but honestly I think the politics and intrigue are kind of the most hamfisted aspects of GRRM's books. I'd also be okay with historical fiction.

The Lions of Al-Rassan, Dune, and the Terra Ignota books were mentioned in the other thread (and some that are more historical fiction), so I've got those on my list already. I know Terra Ignota doesn't precisely fit what I'm looking for but I read Too Like The Lightning when it first came out and I think it's at least in the ballpark of the feel I want.

Meant to add that Bernard Cornwall's The Last Kingdom series (historical fiction) is really good for politics/betrayal/shifting alliances/bands of partisans but is 800s era Britain (so maybe too early for what you're looking for)?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

buffalo all day posted:

Meant to add that Bernard Cornwall's The Last Kingdom series (historical fiction) is really good for politics/betrayal/shifting alliances/bands of partisans but is 800s era Britain (so maybe too early for what you're looking for)?

Nah that's great too, I mostly just didn't want anything particularly modern. I'll add them to the list, thanks!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

I asked a similar question over in the general book recommendation thread, but I figured I'd ask here too: what are some fantasy novels that do politics, large-scale war, shifting alliances, betrayal, subterfuge, etc, well?

General Batutta’s Baru books may be exactly what you’re looking for.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Has any read The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
The Diamond Age is really Stephenson, for good and for ill. There are neat ideas in there that get bogged down in explaining the thing I'm interested in to you, at length, and the usual cringy content and bad ideas about people who aren't white beardy hackmaster types.

The bit where he explodes the cyberpunk guy because You Didn't Understand Snow Crash, Plebes was pretty good, though.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

If you want to go old school, Fletcher Pratt's The Well of the Unicorn. And of course there's always Malazan.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MockingQuantum posted:

If you ask me, Spellmonger is the king. Be advised, though- this is actually a slice of life series with an overall plot. It's absolutely glacial, proceeding at a fairly realistic pace for a feudal society- they spend years just raising levies and doing preliminary logistics to fight campaigns. But if you wanted to read about a fairly smart and crafty wizard in the right place and the right time to revolutionize society in the face of an extinction war versus goblins and totally-not-Drow, this is the one to read. It's loving awesome. And much like real aristocratic societies, personal relationships between various nobles have massive consequences, so things can change at the drop of a hat.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I really enjoyed that series, mostly to learn about medieval political structures.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's literally a historical fiction and slice of life about the emergence of the bourgeoisie and working class masquerading as a doorstopper fantasy series lol. I love it.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

Looking back at my journal entry for the book, it's because the government tried to force him to do work that would benefit society somewhat rather than just loving everyone else over in order to become rich.

He refused, so they mindwiped him and then tried to execute him (I don't think it's ever explained why they did both), but because he's a genius polymath unparalleled in every academic field and a master of half a dozen different schools of martial arts and an expert marksman and a master tactician and strategist (really), he anticipated this well in advance and set up an intricate plot that would result in him being set free post-mindwipe with everything he needs to enact his revenge.

The rest of the book is about him destroying the one world government (resulting in billions of deaths) because it's the right thing to do, IIRC. I think there was also something about orbital bombardment in there, but I may be getting that part mixed up with something else.

See, even without the badpolitic, if that is an accurate summary then I struggle to believe that someone who could turn out such utter poo poo mid-career is actually capable of writing anything good.

But this thread seems be full of recommendations along the lines of 'oh sure his main series is about an 18th c slave owner who is summoned to the future because only his magic sex skills can defeat the aliens, but god drat no one else writes about sentient .53 inch railgun shells in a radar dominated operational setting that also has dragons so guess we're stuck with him'

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Armauk posted:

Has any read The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson?

The Diamond Age has a lot of good stuff in it, but it's sort of less than the sum of its parts. I'd recommend it anyway.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Strategic Tea posted:

But this thread seems be full of recommendations along the lines of 'oh sure his main series is about an 18th c slave owner who is summoned to the future because only his magic sex skills can defeat the aliens, but god drat no one else writes about sentient .53 inch railgun shells in a radar dominated operational setting that also has dragons so guess we're stuck with him'

:goofy:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Strategic Tea posted:

See, even without the badpolitic, if that is an accurate summary then I struggle to believe that someone who could turn out such utter poo poo mid-career is actually capable of writing anything good.

:wtc:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Oh okay it's not full of them, but it is always fun to see them pop up from time to time

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

Off the top of my head that's... Bakker, Turtledove, and Neil Asher. Are there more problematic authors who come up regularly that I'm missing?

(Also seriously we don't rec these asses like...at all. Or have I been missing something?)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Ugh recommend is too strong a word; I walk it back I walk it back!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Don't know where you're getting that from, but Harry Turtledove has nothing even remotely like that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Gnoman posted:

Don't know where you're getting that from, but Harry Turtledove has nothing even remotely like that.

Guns of the South not ringing any bells?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

StrixNebulosa posted:

that one was evil south african racists timetraveling to the past it's totally different

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

also has anyone ITT ever recommended the guns of the south

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm quite familiar with it. That's not his "main series", and it isn't a "praise the Confederacy! White supremacy forever!" book. The big thing at the end is the Confederates finding out that their "peculiar institution" is considered an abomination by history and the future world holds them in deep contempt.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I just found an old pulp copy of Harry Harrison's Deathworld Trilogy. I expected nothing, and yet it's compulsively readable. Do I need to find more from this guy?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The worst I've ever heard about turtledove is that hes boring which is true of many authors from the same era. I liked reading Asimov but the truth is I enjoying thinking about an idea or two that was presented more than the actual books.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

mdemone posted:

I just found an old pulp copy of Harry Harrison's Deathworld Trilogy. I expected nothing, and yet it's compulsively readable. Do I need to find more from this guy?

Stainless Steel Rat is archetypal but I read it 25 years ago so no idea if it still holds up

The Stars and Stripes books are awful awful alt-history only readable if you like awful alt-history

Speaking of that, Turtledove was fine to read in high school and college but he seems to be still doing similar alt-hist books with increasingly less interesting ideas while there is more cool stuff to read out there than ever before

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RD8544/

From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back by Seth Dickinson et al - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089S7FPLB/
Please tell me more General Battuta. There's got to be an interesting story about getting involved in a project like this.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

pradmer posted:

From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back by Seth Dickinson et al - $1.99
Please tell me more General Battuta. There's got to be an interesting story about getting involved in a project like this.

Clicked for the General B., stayed for the Austin Walker. About the only person who could make me watch The Clone Wars.

Hobnob fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 11, 2022

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
By the way, here's my review of The Diamond Age from a few years back:

Silver2195 posted:

Just finished The Diamond Age. Not sure how to feel about it. There's a lot of interesting ideas, some great dark humor, and memorable prose. I'm just not sure it holds together as a whole very well. It almost feels like it should have been a trilogy rather than a single book; there's a lot that happens offscreen, there's some subplots that could have used more explanation, and it feels like the stuff about Nell's childhood and Hackworth getting coerced into making lots of copies of the Primer came from a different book from the stuff about the Drummers and the Seed, which in turn felt like a different book from the stuff about Boxer Rebellion 2.0. Some of the stories from the Primer, particularly Dinosaur's, don't even feel like part of the same series. Don't get me wrong, Dinosaur's story is hilarious, but it doesn't have much to so with anything else.

Some of the central plot points feel inadequately explained. For example, how does the Primer seem so intelligent? The first thing we're told about AI in this setting is that there's no such thing; it's just "Pseudo-Intelligence." But the Primer writes stories relevant to Nell's life on the fly that clearly aren't just Mad Libs. And remember that Hackworth made the Primer before he got involved with the Drummers, so he wasn't tapping into a collective unconscious or anything like that. Nell asks this question to herself during the Duke of Turing subplot, and it's handwaved with the implication that Miranda's ~human heart~ is involved somehow, but it's also stated that the ractor wasn't originally supposed to be important, while Hackworth was talking up the Primer's ability to understand an individual girl's mental landscape from the start.

While I like the characterization of Nell, Harv, Hackworth, Miranda, and Judge Fang, I don't think Dr. X really works as a character. There's too much orientalist silliness surrounding him, and his motivations when he reenters the story near the end don't have much connection to his motivations early on. Lord Finkle-McGraw also annoys me a bit, because engineers who are self-taught sociologists in their spare time are really annoying in real life, but he's pretty cool if you just accept the conceit that he really does know what he's talking about. It helps that he recognizes some of the flaws of the society he helped create.

I suppose it's customary when reviewing this sort of semi-dystopian sci-fi story to evaluate how it holds up as a prediction of the future (although this is arguably orthogonal to quality as a novel). Perhaps that's not entirely fair in this case, since it's still set several decades in the future. The most wrong thing is perhaps the central conceit of the setting: Drexler-style nanomachines. Though I suppose we still have a few decades to invent them. Cultural fragmentation is an actual thing (not to the same extent, but again, give it a few decades), but Stephenson really seems to have overestimated the extent to which it would be along ethnic lines. Indeed, the book differs from sci-fi convention in predicting that people will become more rather than less racist in the future, and while recent events suggests that this prediction wasn't entirely wrong, it still feels a bit overdone.

The most impressive prediction is the stuff about personalized newspapers and how the Victorians consider it a bad idea for them to be too personalized. Props to Stephenson for predicting news apps and concerns about filter bubbles back in 1995.

This is the first Stephenson book I've read. Reports on some other Stephenson books in this thread seem fairly negative, so I'm not sure if I should try others. If they're around the same quality as Diamond Age, though, I'll probably give them a try.

Edit: China adopting Confucianism as its new legitimating ideology is partly right, but of course in real life it's much less sincere and pervasive, and the kind of shift in cultural attitudes that would lead to the resurgence of foot-binding (even in a form that "probably didn't even hurt") seems wildly unlikely.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
durtletove

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

If you ask me, Spellmonger is the king. Be advised, though- this is actually a slice of life series with an overall plot. It's absolutely glacial, proceeding at a fairly realistic pace for a feudal society- they spend years just raising levies and doing preliminary logistics to fight campaigns. But if you wanted to read about a fairly smart and crafty wizard in the right place and the right time to revolutionize society in the face of an extinction war versus goblins and totally-not-Drow, this is the one to read. It's loving awesome. And much like real aristocratic societies, personal relationships between various nobles have massive consequences, so things can change at the drop of a hat.
You just sold me on book 1,

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

mdemone posted:

I think the deathworld trilogy is his most readable and fun series but from left field:

West of Eden, his what if dinosaurs evolved instead of humans. It's a big sort of terrible but also a bit great.

I also have a massive soft spot for his alternative- history Norse series, hammer and the cross but last time it got brought up in here people what all over it so ymv

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

branedotorg posted:

West of Eden, his what if dinosaurs evolved instead of humans. It's a big sort of terrible but also a bit great.

Okay yeah that's my kind of dumb poo poo

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Sailor Viy posted:

I know, right? I love the way he will come out with a casual reference to something like a god, spirit or other dimension--stuff that in western fantasy would be "worldbuilding" but with Okri is just part of the texture of the prose.

Another good book in the same vein is Search Sweet Country by Kojo Laing.

Read the sample on amazon and yeah holy poo poo this is my jam, thank you for the recommendation

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

pradmer posted:

2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RD8544/

We didn't get paid but the editors were really cool.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

mdemone posted:

I liked his "The Hammer and the Cross" trilogy a lot way back when I was on a vikings kick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Strategic Tea posted:

excuse me sir, that's the Mil-SciFi thread