Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

They did remove FF1's peninsula of power.

Boooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Frionnel posted:

Boooooooo

They decreased exp needed to level however.

In fact they reduced the grind in most PR

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

garthoneeye posted:

I hope they fix the evade bug but leave suplex phantom train and wind god Gau.

The evade bug has been fixed in all versions besides the SNES/PSX ones, afaik. Wind God Gau probably won't exist since Gau can't equip a Merit Award in the GBA and old Mobile/PC versions. You can also suplex the train in all versions so far.

Even if none of this holds true for the PR, there'll inevitably be mods to change it back. The 'official' modding discord for PC FF games (https://discord.gg/bSnpVBV) has tons of mods for all the existing PRs that do things like restoring the peninsula of power, changing exp curves back to their old versions, changing sprites, adding dialogue portraits, etc. They also have mods to change the soundtracks back to old NES/SNES versions for some unfathomable reason.

Just.. avoid the discussion channels. There's a lot of people with brainworms who like to argue about what the "definitive" versions of the game look and sound like and a ridiculous amount of complaining about SqEx's 'lazy ports'.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Chillgamesh posted:

The scene where Alma's in a cell and the injured guard stumbles in to free her before bleeding out, while Hashmal is audibly mangling everyone offscreen, was one of my favorite as a kid for some reason

I always liked Wiegraf stabbing through that dude when you show up to save Elmdore.

You could see the sword come out the back of the stabbed guy! That was so cool when I was 15!

Also you're a fuckin' contrarian ding dong if you prefer the original translation of gibberish to the WOTL version. It was wonderful to play through it ten or so years later with a proper understanding of what in the actual hell was going on.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What is this evade bug

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The evade stat doesn't work. Like, straight up doesn't function. Instead, Mblock% works for evading/blocking both magic and physical attacks. Some characters at the end of the game can hit 128% MBlock% and be pretty much invincible with the exception of like half a dozen enemy abilities.

EDIT: I know it's fairly easy to hit with Terra and Celes, and I think a few other characters are able to equip the right gear to do it as well, but I don't remember who off the top of my head. FF6 is not a hard game, so it's not like this is even remotely necessary.

This isn't even scratching the surface of bugs in the game though. If you know where to look, FF6 is astonishingly busted.

dolphinbomb fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 11, 2022

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Evade being broken also means that Blind as a status effect doesn't do anything for characters except give them cool shades, you have no reason to cure it on them as it doesn't affect their hit rate, and it also makes the relic that prevents blind completely useless. Blind does prevent Strago from learning Lores though, so I guess you should cure it on him, if he's in a battle where he can learn one and gets inflicted.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I had noticed that it wasn't stopping me from hitting enemies, but I had assumed they'd just had it applied to the fight command and I was always using special commands. Funny that it's even more broken then I thought.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
every 2D final fantasy is very broken... every 3D final fantasy too

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

I had noticed that it wasn't stopping me from hitting enemies, but I had assumed they'd just had it applied to the fight command and I was always using special commands. Funny that it's even more broken then I thought.

That is kinda the case, special attack commands do bypass evasion (and nearly all of the single target physical ones pierce defense except iirc Autocrossbow and Gale/Quadra Slash) but really the evasion bug is mostly only noticeable when you boot up the GBA version and intermittently start blocking attacks on a frequent basis as opposed to when you start blinging your team out with World of Ruin elemental shields.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

dolphinbomb posted:

The evade bug has been fixed in all versions besides the SNES/PSX ones, afaik. Wind God Gau probably won't exist since Gau can't equip a Merit Award in the GBA and old Mobile/PC versions. You can also suplex the train in all versions so far.

I know that Wind God Gau will be gone since they removed Merit Award for him in the PsX version as well, but I can dream.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Runic is so useless it activates when you tried healing your party.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Scalding Coffee posted:

Runic is so useless it activates when you tried healing your party.

Yeah, I'm hot on the idea of that as a mechanic, but so few enemies use magic relative to your own party I don't know what they were thinking making that a core part of Celes. Modding shock in though is A+

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

They decreased exp needed to level however.

In fact they reduced the grind in most PR

I never even used the Peninsula of Power, but it was a cool oddity in the game.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
removing the peninsula is wrong...

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I am super excited about Chrono Cross finally coming out, but I can't help but feel like something looks off about it.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Mesadoram posted:

I am super excited about Chrono Cross finally coming out, but I can't help but feel like something looks off about it.

The eshop page says:

*You can switch between the new and old versions of the 3D models and illustrations.
*The 3D models, illustrations, font and background filter cannot be toggled separately. They will all be switched together.

Which sounds like you can switch back to the original ps1 graphics if you want. I don't think we've seen any footage of that though, so they could have messed it up somehow.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Runic would've been maybe useful if it only triggered against enemy spells and not party members casting stuff.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There are certain times that Runic has niche use, especially if you're using members that have useful non-magic commands, like Sabin, Edgar, and Gau.

It's still a bit iffy because even some magic-heavy bosses will have non-magic attacks that are just as devastating in their arsenal. Even the tutorial boss Tunnel Armour has drill, which will ruin your day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Runic is of limited use because Celes' real gimmick is naturally learning magic.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

ImpAtom posted:

Runic is of limited use because Celes' real gimmick is naturally learning magic.

I always thought that these two factoids together was super weird, like it seems fully set up that Celes would naturally learn magic by absorbing it from others through Runic kind of like a blue mage but the two just don't intersect at all :psyduck:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
PSA: The bestiary for Famed Mimic Gogo in FFVPR doesn't unlock if you do the fight the intended way. Which is sit and do nothing for a few minutes.

This has thwarted my 100% run for FFVPR and I'm somewhat salty.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

OhFunny posted:

PSA: The bestiary for Famed Mimic Gogo in FFVPR doesn't unlock if you do the fight the intended way. Which is sit and do nothing for a few minutes.

So what are you supposed to do actually kill Gogo? Isn't that impossible?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

OhFunny posted:

So you're mastering every job? drat

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Electric Phantasm posted:

So what are you supposed to do actually kill Gogo? Isn't that impossible?

It's not impossible. You can land Silence on him to prevent him from using Mimic.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

So you're mastering every job? drat

I abandoned getting other achievements once I realized I couldn't 100% without starting over from the beginning to fight Gogo and just finished the game. This is actually the first time I've beaten FFV.

Maybe Square-Enix will patch it and then I'll grind everything to max and kill the super bosses.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 11, 2022

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

OhFunny posted:

It's not impossible. You can land Silence on him to prevent him of using Mimic.

Mimes famously need to talk to perform, after all.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

Mimes famously need to talk to perform, after all.

Turns out mimes perform at a frequency human ears can't make out, but still vulnerable to getting their throat jabbed all the same. Who knew?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Runic would've been maybe useful if it only triggered against enemy spells and not party members casting stuff.

It would need two things to be good- only triggering on enemy spells, and lasting for several turns. In the base game she would need to spend all her turns only using runic even if your other characters weren't casting, which was boring and dumb and really inefficient. Have it be a buff that's on until it activates, or for five turns or something. That way she's essentially using one of her turns to cancel one of the enemy's turns, which seems fair.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 11, 2022

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

WaltherFeng posted:

Square still sells toys for Front Mission.

This goddamn post.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

every 2D final fantasy is very broken... every 3D final fantasy too

I prefer the more balanced 1D Final Fantasy games

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Schwartzcough posted:

It would need two things to be good- only triggering on enemy spells, and lasting for several turns. In the base game she would need to spend all her turns only using runic even if your other characters weren't casting, which was boring and dumb and really inefficient. Have it be a buff that's on until it activates, or for five turns or something. That was she's essentially using one of her turns to cancel one of the enemy's turns, which seems fair.

I always thought it would be a neat tweak on the FFV mystic knight if the element/status that she absorbs gets added onto her attacks so you could effectively have other party members cast sword magic on her as a secondary use, but since I'm not super familiar with the mechanics of FF6 I have no idea if that would actually be good or useful

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There are certain times that Runic has niche use, especially if you're using members that have useful non-magic commands, like Sabin, Edgar, and Gau.

It's still a bit iffy because even some magic-heavy bosses will have non-magic attacks that are just as devastating in their arsenal. Even the tutorial boss Tunnel Armour has drill, which will ruin your day.

Yea its useful against Kefka in the narshe battle.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

Diagonal Line is OP, imo.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I also get some use out of it against the caster enemies in Zozo, since no one else on the team is casting Magic at that point

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

thetoughestbean posted:

We don't need a One Direction FF game, we already have FFXV.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Final Fantasy already contains the three pillars of music: Frank Sinatra, Ariana Grande, and Limp Bizkit.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

pretty soft girl posted:

I always thought it would be a neat tweak on the FFV mystic knight if the element/status that she absorbs gets added onto her attacks so you could effectively have other party members cast sword magic on her as a secondary use, but since I'm not super familiar with the mechanics of FF6 I have no idea if that would actually be good or useful
Competing with magic or some of the broken cases of other characters skills, anything short of runic eating the enemy into the sword and shooting it out doing 9999 to each enemy involved is probably going to fall short.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Runic is a conceptually interesting idea that's used exactly once and can then never be used again due to the vagaries of the ATB system and the lack of any kind of visual racetrack/turn order to let you know when it's actually a good time to use it versus completely blowing all your ATB on doing jack poo poo (or, worse, sabotaging your own party).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It would be really funny if it turned out the SoP nu-metal actually was Limp Bizkit

They did just put out a new album...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“Special Thanks to Fred Durst” is something I want to see in the credits of a FF.