Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

zetamind2000 posted:

Treating pink eye with herbal ointment sounds like a good way to continue having pink eye

i googled it and apparently some people use peppermint oil for pink eye

so ur basically going to get unimaginably painful candy cane eyeballs with the red + white + peppermint

edit: good lord I have a lot of page snipes and all of them are terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
I sold appliances for about 10 years of my life and seeing it in the COVID thread is eliciting all sorts of PTSD in me now

I think the whole transformation of LF from libertopian to maoist 3rd worldist happened on my computer at work

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Platystemon posted:

They have this weird framing that Xi Jinping has to fight for zero COVID because he mishandled the initial outbreak, and not because it’s the right thing to do and it’s all upsides for ~the economy~ if you command a functional state capable of achieving it. I’m not going to subject the thread to the whole thing. It’s right near the top and it’s bonkers.

I don’t get why this is so hard to understand, being the only guy at the table with functioning lungs means you get to talk more. I’m not a fuckin historian and I may be way off on this, but isn’t the reason America did so well in the post WWII period largely attributable to the fact that we were the only place with factories that still had the roofs and walls in the intended positions? Wouldn’t being the only nation that doesn’t have hotdogs for blood put you in a similarly good spot? There doesn’t need to be a second reason to not want covid, the first one makes plenty of sense on its own.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10504431/amp/Treasury-pushes-free-PCR-testing-scrapped-MONTH-save-billions.html

lol

just

absolutely

insane

more insane things revelations all the time

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

more insane things revelations all the time

Hell yeah love it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

http://m.tbs.seoul.kr/efm/newsView....tuHACCqa0n6MfE8

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Real Mean Queen posted:

I don’t get why this is so hard to understand, being the only guy at the table with functioning lungs means you get to talk more. I’m not a fuckin historian and I may be way off on this, but isn’t the reason America did so well in the post WWII period largely attributable to the fact that we were the only place with factories that still had the roofs and walls in the intended positions? Wouldn’t being the only nation that doesn’t have hotdogs for blood put you in a similarly good spot? There doesn’t need to be a second reason to not want covid, the first one makes plenty of sense on its own.

Yes, you're largely correct. The continental US was pretty much untouched by war, and so they could just dictate terms to everyone else in the world.

The only competition was the USSR, which managed to stay competitive by dint of only having half their country getting burnt to the ground and having a much more rational economic policy to bounce back with.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

zetamind2000 posted:

Treating pink eye with herbal ointment sounds like a good way to continue having pink eye

endemic pink eye

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
yoga girl rejection with pink eye, not because of pink eye

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

lol jesus loving chrrrrist lmao

we’re so truly screwed when everything collapses if even just some dumbass truckers can’t not get each other filthy sick during what amounts to a fancy camp out

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Remember when people ITT were worried that every one of us was going to get Omicron within the month because it was just so gosh durn infectious?

Doomers BTFO by the immortal science of respirators

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Platystemon posted:

respirators

The only thing I trust

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Platystemon posted:

Remember when people ITT were worried that every one of us was going to get Omicron within the month because it was just so gosh durn infectious?

I suppose a small personal victory is with the overall case burden coming down I can now go to work and avoid something with an Rt of 3 vs trying to avoid Rt 6 with our nasty Delta surge.

:rubby:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Who says we didn't? Given how so many other people I know have gotten it and while I limit most of my hangouts and still work at home, every minor health thing makes me wonder "did I get it" but then it passes or the quick test is negative.

That's what freaks me out. I could have asymptomatically caught this several times and wouldn't know it until one day I get long COVID or a stroke or something.

Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 14, 2022

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

gradenko_2000 posted:

as far as I can tell, the mentality is that "it's what the government tells us we should be doing, so I will follow that [and no further]". If you just ape whatever the CDC says (or what the TV tells you is what the CDC is saying, etc.), then you can be wearing an N95 one week, and then dropping it the next. It's only incongruous if you understand WHY you're wearing the mask, but if don't understand, and never tried to understand (and maybe that's not always someone's fault), then there's no contradiction to be formed in your mind.
Spot on. This is exactly the mentally I've experienced with my sister.

It made for a very uncomfortable discussion about the past holidays. I loving loved being in the position of "yes, you're doing everything the government says you should be doing but it's not enough for me and my family."

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Cheesus posted:

It made for a very uncomfortable discussion about the past holidays. I loving loved being in the position of "yes, you're doing everything the government says you should be doing but it's not enough for me and my family."

This is where I am right now. My family seems to legitimately think I am going insane. I do t know how to convince them otherwise. Pretty soon I will be literally all alone in the world waiting for the end.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Hadlock posted:

Pizza at least is really hard to mess up, even intentionally. The pizza oven pulls it through the machine at a fixed rate of ~5 min/pie.

We will get drive through burgers once a week out of neccessity, and take-out chinese once a month, and both are really bad now, if you can even get them to get your order right. I am half convinced that the food service industry is going to collapse due to a negative feedback loop of bad food -> fewer order -> less money to hire quality workers -> more bad food. We used to do take-out twice a week

We are really tired of pizza, even good pizza at this point, though

You're right though, take-out sushi is quite good still, for whatever weird reason

It’s going to be interesting. I’ve worked in a few kitchens, and what I noticed real quick was that they always operated on the assumption that if you won’t do it, there’s some other desperate fucker that’ll be a bit more of a team player. It’s already minimum wage work with no benefits of any kind, but then on top of that there are no true days off because somebody else might call in sick and that means you’re going in or you’re going to be fired for an unrelated reason shortly thereafter. It is considered to be totally normal and correct to have potential hires come in and do the job for free for a shift, and you don’t even have to call that guy back because there’s another one scheduled for the next day and another the day after that. If you do hire him, you can just toss him on the schedule for like two shifts a week and replace him if that’s not enough, and have your existing workers get all the way up to 39 hours a week to cover the gaps. It’s really stupid.

I think the infinite labor supply might have been disrupted a little bit, and we’re looking at what happens when the basic assumptions the industry runs on stop being safe assumptions. You can’t just fire everyone and have a line out the door to replace them like you used to, and a lot of the talented people who actually like the work have shifted around to better offers. This leaves a lot of spots relying on the small handful of people who haven’t left yet, and that number gets smaller as wages stay lovely and help doesn’t come and nothing gets better.

I know a guy who used to dish at this loving BUSY ramen spot, watching the Guatemalans in the pit with him get treated like poo poo by management and noticing that they treated him a little better, and he hated that. Now he dishes at a cool little bar that doesn’t have a lot of dishes to wash, and why not? If you’re gonna be stuck on my feet all day and the pay is the same anyway, why wouldn’t you wash fewer dishes at a spot with cooler owners instead of scrubbing out scorched stock pots for assholes? My girlfriend has an old coworker who took his unemployment money and flew to Hawaii with it, and now he’s working and living on some farm somewhere over there and having a much better time than he did here, and why wouldn’t he? Why not work retail, or temp in an office, or trim weed, or drive stuff around, or any other similarly miserable job where you at least don’t get burned with oil all the time?

Basically, I think shutting down for a second and paying people twice what they usually made in a week to stay home broke the door on the service industry debt trap for a lot of folks, and they ran for their lives. As a result, as you notice, there are fewer people working in ever shittier conditions, which results in less money coming in to pay them with, which results in fewer people working in ever shittier conditions, and on and on. There are still okay ways to get paid to cook, but I don’t see any reason other than pure desperation to stay at the jack in the box or whatever, and pure desperation isn’t a competitive strategy to rely on for worker retention. The people who actually want to cook can get better offers, the people who don’t want to cook will eventually explore other options, and there’s just going to be a gaping hole where a lot of lovely food service jobs used to be. There already is, but my bet is that it gets bigger and we see big players in the lovely food service game switch tactics to things like delivery and drive through only shops, ghost kitchens, and similar things that you can run with a much smaller staff. You remember when pizza hut had like waiters doing table service and a salad bar and a buffet, and how that gradually turned into pizza hut being a small room that you don’t even go into anyway because there’s an app? It’s going to be a lot more of that for the national brands.

Real Mean Queen fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 14, 2022

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

cr0y posted:

So about 6 weeks ago my triple Pfizer sister recovered from being laid out for about a week from what I'm assuming was omicron. Today she went to the ER after a sudden case of chest pain, shortness of breath, said chest pain radiating up through her shoulders into her back.

Emergency room found an abnormal EKG but no other obvious items, they did blood work for a heart attack and looked at her lungs and pulse ox and what not. They sent her home with a 🤷‍♂️

Cool, cool...

Sorry about your sister! The only thing keeping me vaguely calm right now is the observation that most of the excessive mortality from a "mild* COVID infection happens within the first ~40 days. At six weeks your sister should be getting close to being relatively in the clear. I'm sure stuff happens further out, but those survival vs time plots make it look like it's rare.

Are they considering consulting a cardiologist about the abnormal EKG? Not a medical professional or HCW so no idea if that's actionable, it's just that it's a concrete measurement vs "vague tightness in my chest" qualitative description of symptoms

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

Do not ask for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for the weak.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Platystemon posted:

They were doing random testing in Queensland and found that a shitload of people were asymptomatic positive. I have trouble believing I haven't gotten it at this point especially when everyone in my 250 unit building had it in late December/Jan.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 40 minutes!

Vim Fuego posted:

So it's just gonna be 3000 dead every day for forever, plus or minus whatever new variants crop up? That's "over"?

The number of dead will increase as covid searches for its fitness cap, regardless of whether individual cases becomes more "mild" or not

this time next year, there will be fewer naive T cells than progressives in America :toxx:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Captain Magic posted:

lol jesus loving chrrrrist lmao

we’re so truly screwed when everything collapses if even just some dumbass truckers can’t not get each other filthy sick during what amounts to a fancy camp out

Nurgle Cultist: Hey Babe!!!

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/wsbgnl/status/1493143279537328130?s=21

lol “we ran out of people to infect”

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Thank gently caress that covid infection provides lasting and effective immunity.

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

Platystemon posted:

On a personal note, besides my silly spouse infecting me, both kids have managed to not get it yet throughout this wave, which peaked at around 4500/million ten days ago. They were mandated to attend school throughout.

Corsi cubes, negative pressure room, me sleeping in a tent, and kn95's for the kids did the trick

Cases are plummetting now and my ten y/o is OVER COVID, ffs.
I've had to resort to full on bribery to keep up with the spiel. Every day she ignores the other kids taking off their masks and eating in shared spaces I give her a fiver.

She's still pissed as hell lmao.
I can't see deep emotional scarring going on though, yeah sure she's venting about it, but that's pretty healthy, and I've seen her double down on other activities instead without pressure from me. She be reading Pratchett and studying a new piece on the piano after school now.

It's going to be so goddamn tiring to go through this again in a month or two.

two-time fee fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 14, 2022

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Salt Fish posted:

Posting so I can find that tweet of the cat in the kirby house

edit lmao

https://twitter.com/to6okegao/status/1490694296764579843

And the cat's in the Kirby lol lmaos the goon
Little boy's blue and they'll vent him soon
"When I'm coming home?", "Son, I don't know when"
"We'll get some good apps then"
"You know we gotta Open Biden"

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Paradoxish posted:

Goons suddenly getting real unapologetically bougie out of nowhere is something that will never change about this site.

Lmao having the tools made by society to produce your own food at home? loving decadent bourgeoisie scum!

Setting money on fire through my electric bill because I'm using a 40 year old coil cooktop? Приветствую вас, товарищи!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

They were doing random testing in Queensland and found that a shitload of people were asymptomatic positive. I have trouble believing I haven't gotten it at this point especially when everyone in my 250 unit building had it in late December/Jan.

I'd be real curious to see if I had antibodies but apparently the only way you can get the test here in Australia is to convince a GP there's a need for it

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

It reminds me of last year when breakthroughs were starting to show up and the official line was “no they aren’t, shut up.” People are so desperate for this to be a clear cut situation where the virus can’t do some things, and all those things are the things that are covered by being vaccinated and maskless. It’s going to keep being “well you can’t catch it twice though” until everyone is on round three or four, and then there’ll be some good news about how that’s actually very safe. Until then, you can’t catch it twice, even if you did.

One thing I don’t think the virus can do is get small enough to get through these p100s, but that’s inconvenient, so we have to just say it can’t do things that we know it can do until something makes us stop.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
I can never catch up with this thread, so apologies if this was recently addressed, but:

I keep seeing references to "the virus activates a broad variety of naive T cells which are then removed, and this is a problem because people only have so many naive T cells in their life."

The first part is clear, but for the second part... really?
Is it referring to the maximum number of different T cell receptor combinations? This is true but irrelevant, because later repeats are possible.
Is it referring to the declining production of naive T cells with age, which is... true, but I mean aging does that to many body systems.
Or, does it refer to some system/effect not listed above, that I'm unaware of?

This isn't rhetorical or an attempt at an own. I used to know a lot about immunology, but it was never my specialty and it's been a while, so mainly curious. Anyone got a detailed explanation or a link to one?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Walmart is ending its covid leave so the pandemic must truly be over. Anyone who catches covid after March 31 will have to use short term disability to get time off or burn PTO.

I’m sure this will not result in a spike in workplace cases from one of the largest employers in America.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cheesus posted:

we had to go through the same thing with everyone wanting to see the new baby, but fortunately all the grandparents want to prioritize her safety first.

the provincial government has always just been about 10 steps too slow in reacting to even case count. we hit 5 digit cases before christmas and just cancelled all our plans and had to explain a few times that just because ontario hasn't done poo poo doesn't mean it's safe.

downloading public health on to individuals to make the best decision is a loving disaster lol

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Lawlicaust posted:

Walmart is ending its covid leave so the pandemic must truly be over. Anyone who catches covid after March 31 will have to use short term disability to get time off or burn PTO.

I’m sure this will not result in a spike in workplace cases from one of the largest employers in America.

truly, the azteks were an enlightened people.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

SplitSoul posted:

And the cat's in the Kirby lol lmaos the goon
Little boy's blue and they'll vent him soon
"When I'm coming home?", "Son, I don't know when"
"We'll get some good apps then"
"You know we gotta Open Biden"

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
what are you just going to be scared of a virus forever?

*endeavors to make the virus a lifelong threat to you*

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
even Open Biden is saying it

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Real Mean Queen posted:

It reminds me of last year when breakthroughs were starting to show up and the official line was “no they aren’t, shut up.” People are so desperate for this to be a clear cut situation where the virus can’t do some things, and all those things are the things that are covered by being vaccinated and maskless. It’s going to keep being “well you can’t catch it twice though” until everyone is on round three or four, and then there’ll be some good news about how that’s actually very safe. Until then, you can’t catch it twice, even if you did.

One thing I don’t think the virus can do is get small enough to get through these p100s, but that’s inconvenient, so we have to just say it can’t do things that we know it can do until something makes us stop.

Yeah given how it looks like due to antibody waning even with vaccine immunity things start to get bad around ~months, effectiveness against hospitalization drops to around 58%.

You would think given above this would encourage NPIs for "Believe Science"

1. Avoiding high risk events
2. If you do have to go out make sure to have a high-quality mask (N95) or respirator

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Platystemon posted:

The Grey Lady got around to paying someone to type this up, but all of Chinese is in there for flavor and in the transcript is represented only as “[NON‐ENGLISH SPEECH]. Laffo.

They have this weird framing that Xi Jinping has to fight for zero COVID because he mishandled the initial outbreak, and not because it’s the right thing to do and it’s all upsides for ~the economy~ if you command a functional state capable of achieving it. I’m not going to subject the thread to the whole thing. It’s right near the top and it’s bonkers.

Even this NYT correspondent with her Hot Takes shuts down the idea that China is hiding millions of cases.

:china:

They’re still horny for China’s failure, mind.

They tell some funny stories, and then:

My god, can you imagine that? One point two million people locked down?

That’s almost as many as America has put in the ground.

The episode ends with:

The only time that The New York Times can acknowledge that this poo poo is getting worse is when they’re lusting for Chinese death.

these articles make a lot more sense when you understand they’re targeted at well-heeled individuals (poors gently caress off). for rich folx everywhere, rona has been an unmitigated disaster as they can no longer lead their jet-setting instagram lives the same way they used to.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Pizza at least is really hard to mess up, even intentionally. The pizza oven pulls it through the machine at a fixed rate of ~5 min/pie.

We will get drive through burgers once a week out of neccessity, and take-out chinese once a month, and both are really bad now, if you can even get them to get your order right. I am half convinced that the food service industry is going to collapse due to a negative feedback loop of bad food -> fewer order -> less money to hire quality workers -> more bad food. We used to do take-out twice a week

We are really tired of pizza, even good pizza at this point, though

You're right though, take-out sushi is quite good still, for whatever weird reason

agreed. at some point in the last year or so it all just started tasting off. I blame the low quality workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
never realized a pandemic can be over so fast!