Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Blaze Dragon posted:

That happened in the Tournament of Power though.

I'm sure you can find way better examples than Multiverse of all things.

I'm not going to do the meme. Multiverse has a lot of issues, but it's a perfectly fun premise with a lot of neat ideas scattered among the rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Blaze Dragon posted:

That happened in the Tournament of Power though.

I don't mean like barely willing alliance of convenience with him going back to his old tricks whenever he gets a chance, it was more in line with Vegeta's whole arc.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
multiverse somehow made king cold having two extra forms boring and stupid lol

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 16, 2022

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Kanos posted:

So the bomb Goku made to kill Vegeta was tiny because it was assembled hastily from grass and plants and stuff

Nah, it was small because Ape-Vegeta blasted Goku who lost concentration and the energy dissipated (remember that it was supposed to beat that same Veggie, so it needed to pack a pretty big oomph).

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
to me freeza becoming a good guy will never be as fun as him immediately going back to wiping planets the second he’s brought back to life.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheHan posted:

to me freeza becoming a good guy will never be as fun as him immediately going back to wiping planets the second he’s brought back to life.

Don't forget immediately trying to kill Goku and Vegeta if only by proxy

The fact that he came back and kept being Freeza is the best thing

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Burkion posted:

Don't forget immediately trying to kill Goku and Vegeta if only by proxy

The fact that he came back and kept being Freeza is the best thing

It owns that Frieza has even had character growth as shown in Broly and the ToP but is still by and large an rear end in a top hat

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

he's gone from a villain you love to hate to one that you hate to love

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

The Bee posted:

A Cell spirit bomb that literally forced the energy out of other beings, to the point where they started dropping dead fron exertion, would've been a really cool setpiece. The father-son Kamehameha beam struggle is way too special of a moment to replace, though, so I'm not sure where you would've put it.

Moro did a version of that.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Frieza's character growth has mostly been in becoming a better villain who works harder and smarter towards his goals and I'm here for it. He's even got enough wisdom in his age to abandon wishing for immortality even when he could do so easily.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I was smiling when DBS brolly, when asked if he wanted to wish for immortality he's like nah that takes the fun out of fighting.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Rody One Half posted:

Tien can learn whatever he wants, he'll never surpass the strongest human, Krillin

Krillin has no nose and married an android. He doesn't count.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
To Tenshinhan doubters:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
tenshinhan couldnt even get an elimination in the tournament of power

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Lamebot posted:

To Tenshinhan doubters:

He sucks

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Lmfao somehow we always go back to the Tien sucks cycle haha :v:

god they did him so dirty.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Lamebot posted:

Krillin has no nose and married an android. He doesn't count.

That's WHY he counts

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Shindragon posted:

Lmfao somehow we always go back to the Tien sucks cycle haha :v:

god they did him so dirty.

It's tien sucks -> gohan sucks -> current villains suck -> frieza owns -> repeat

That's this thread. That's all of it.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
You forgot power levels is bullshit. But yeah haha.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

KittyEmpress posted:

It's tien sucks -> gohan sucks -> current villains suck -> frieza owns -> repeat

Are you Akira because you didn't remember "Toriyama Forgot"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hit's cool

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

KittyEmpress posted:

You left out Goku being a bad dad who doesnt know what kissing is

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I'm starting to think that guy's powerposting level isn't that high

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He's so sick.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

dr.acula posted:

You left out Goku being a bad dad who doesnt know what kissing is

Goku being a bad dad is usually part of the gohan sucks conversation, so I just mentally file them together.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
speaking of Cell, whatever happened to Dragon Ball Dead by Daylight? Is it still incredibly imbalanced in favor of the villain?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

I'm bummed that Toriyama made a villain with a cool power that required thought to work around until suddenly Goku realizes "Oh yeah, I can power up". Then he just becomes too strong to be stopped in time.

How does that even work!?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
time has a lower power level than ssb + kaioken its very simple when you think about it

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 17, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

lezard_valeth posted:

speaking of Cell, whatever happened to Dragon Ball Dead by Daylight? Is it still incredibly imbalanced in favor of the villain?

It’s still underdevelopment. And the heroes have a good chance as long as they play clever.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I'm bummed that Toriyama made a villain with a cool power that required thought to work around until suddenly Goku realizes "Oh yeah, I can power up". Then he just becomes too strong to be stopped in time.

How does that even work!?

Goku by that point was loving up the fabric of reality by fighting Beerus at the start of the series.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

MonsterEnvy posted:

It’s still underdevelopment. And the heroes have a good chance as long as they play clever.

Trusting 7 randos to be clever is...
A poor bet.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Rewatching YuYu Hakasho, i realize that the ToP was basically the Dark Tournament except everybody in that had wacky powers (which admittedly ToP also had some of) that power levels really didn't matter against, and you can definitely compare Togoro to Jiren, but Togoro actually had a very straightfoward but very nuanced goal/reason for fighting as he goaded and prodded Yusuke to his limits throughout the whole thing, and Jiren wanted to be strong...because ???

What I'm saying is that Hit is a way more interesting rival/ challenge to Goku and his fight against Jiren was highway robbery.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Maybe Jiren will have learned Time-Skip by the next ToP

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I just thought what is gonna be the equivalent of the flashlight spamming for Dragon Ball DBD

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

khwarezm posted:

Frieza's character growth has mostly been in becoming a better villain who works harder and smarter towards his goals and I'm here for it. He's even got enough wisdom in his age to abandon wishing for immortality even when he could do so easily.

One has to wonder if he somehow heard about Garlic Jr, or just has the insight after spending a decade years in Earth's Hell to realise that when he's had it made clear he's not the most powerful mortal in the universe anymore, that even if his body was indestructible he'd still potentially end up in a fate that makes death look good.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Frieza doesn't watch filler. :v:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One has to wonder if he somehow heard about Garlic Jr, or just has the insight after spending a decade years in Earth's Hell to realise that when he's had it made clear he's not the most powerful mortal in the universe anymore, that even if his body was indestructible he'd still potentially end up in a fate that makes death look good.

It's none of that at all. We already know why Frieza made this decision, and none of it was reasoned, intelligent, or sinister.

He a goddamn punch-junky now. He wants Good Fights. You get those with the ab-so-loving-LUTELY insane adrenaline high of fighting to the death at the peak of your limits. He can't get that almighty drug if he's never at risk of dying.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
He basically got Goku-Frienditist.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TulliusCicero posted:

Rewatching YuYu Hakasho, i realize that the ToP was basically the Dark Tournament except everybody in that had wacky powers (which admittedly ToP also had some of) that power levels really didn't matter against, and you can definitely compare Togoro to Jiren, but Togoro actually had a very straightfoward but very nuanced goal/reason for fighting as he goaded and prodded Yusuke to his limits throughout the whole thing, and Jiren wanted to be strong...because ???

Jiren's motivation is pretty simple. An evil dude killed his family, so he picked himself up and joined a group to get revenge on the evil guy, made friends with everyone in the group, and then the evil guy killed that group too, leaving Jiren the only survivor. He then decided that relying on others to be strong simply gave you a weak point and opened you up to suffering and resolved to be the strongest person ever on his own merits. Presumably he probably would have used the super dragon balls to wish his family and friends back from the dead(and then all of them would have been erased because the ToP was basically a brutal honeypot trap).

Unfortunately we only got any of this motivation like four episodes before the end of the show despite the arc being like 40% of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

it's pretty obvious they had nothing written for Jiren when the ToP began

the actual story he got was a good idea - "What if Goku never had resurrection wishes and went insane training?" - but it came so late (because it was clearly written that late) that there was zero momentum to make Jiren interesting with it