Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If this tweet is believed, Italy is seriously worried about their Balenciaga exports. :suicide:

lmao

it'll be such an insane mistake and embarassment if the EU proves unable to respond to this in any kind of substantial way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
:nms:

https://mobile.twitter.com/girkingirkin/status/1496854488933715972?s=21

What the gently caress

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 24, 2022

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

TheRat posted:

But as far as I know there's no reliable way of delivery on the scale needed.

They have LNG carriers that can divert from other markets but requires a large subsidy to induce delivery, corporations aren't going to willingly divert from other markets that are paying.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Something else to be skeptical of: stories about disputes on what response to take before any response is taken.

I believe Biden is speaking in around an hour, and I expect by the end of today we'll know what the first round of US and EU sanctions will look like. It's not surprising there's disagreement in negotiating them, but all indications from the past month or two are that parties were prepared to act in a united and decisive fashion.

Once particular sections happen (or don't), we can analyze their appropriateness. Until then, it's just another patch of war fog.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

It's sad and I have said this before the last American president to have a coherent foreign policy and who really seem to get how other countries operated was George H.W. Bush and this isn't a defense of him or his family and his association with Reagan. But he had a clear vision and a path and ways to integrate Russia into the post Cold War era and again seemed to have A foreign policy. Clinton largely seemed to ignore foreign policy, W. we all know, Obama couldn't meet the moment, and Trump is aligned with Putin (sorta) and had no vision either.

And I think this where the rubber is meeting the road here. There are no good or coherent policy frameworks coming left, right, or center to meet the moment.

Biden had about as conventional and coherent an American policy as you could expect on this imo. I'm not saying it was the right policy, because I have issues with American foreign policy in general, but he was very consistent and on the same page as American allies, and the reality is just that Russia had a stronger hand to play in its next door neighbor than the US did. That doesn't mean Russia's stronger than the US or got a big win over the US--the US is still in an unbelievably stronger position on the global stage, and maybe even moreso as a result of this crisis. It's just a shame that Ukraine is the country left suffering for being caught between two powers.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The invasion is not going as well as expected. Body bags will soon start flowing back into Russia.

Every tank and air craft destroyed is a huge victory. Russia cannot afford to replace them quickly enough.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Kaddish posted:

If Europe isn't on board with bare minimum stuff, what can the US really do?

yell at europe

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

hobbez posted:

What the gently caress

gently caress man, thats a rough watch

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/olgatokariuk/status/1496878993534255104?s=20&t=dYwra1uHfL68PWiUGEDubQ

Chernihiv was my first host city. My host sister just messaged me on FB saying tanks have destroyed the roads that were newly built there. My host father and mother are scanning important documents and sending it to her as she is outside of the country.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

William Bear posted:

This is infuriating. Agreeing to stop exporting Lamborghinis is one of the most obvious steps that won't hurt the average Russian, and they're not even taking that.

EDIT: Oh, she updated it:

https://twitter.com/MatinaStevis/status/1496831724038377479

Now everyone's talking about Putin's cleavage.

Hell yeah, let's loving go. Maybe I can end this date being embarrassed just to an ordinary extent.

TheRat posted:

But as far as I know there's no reliable way of delivery on the scale needed.

Problems on multiple fronts, but not too bad - EU needs to scale capacity to receive LNG, and hash out a deal with the Gulf to get some of their stuff, currently earmarked for Asia. If we really try, we can make it work, but there's likely going to be 1-3 rough winters in the process.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sinteres posted:

If you're going to follow Rubio at all, I think I'd view him as most credible when he's talking about actual troop movements and stuff, and least credible when he talks about Putin's state of mind/how Putin feels the invasion is going. The idea that Russia expected this to all be wrapped up by now is pretty absurd.

i wouldnt be shocked if russia thought this would be way way quicker since this is the most opposition they have faced.

GABA ghoul posted:

Gotta admit, Russia's Twitter game today was pretty good. At times it looked like Russians tanks are 5 min away from downtown Kyiv and Zelensky is already running for the plane to Warsaw. Never rely too much on Twitter

this. even if its a "quick" invasion/war. the invasion "phase" will be a month/weeks at least.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1496877445332582407

No-fly zone sounds like a dead end. There's no way anyone wants to shoot down Russian planes.

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1496785547594924032

"AK-47s for everyone!"

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thankfully all of that petty carveout bullshit died with the invasion, but I'm not celebrating yet.

https://twitter.com/matinastevis/status/1496831724038377479

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Kaddish posted:

If Europe isn't on board with bare minimum stuff, what can the US really do?

Not much. They can harm companies and sovereign wealth, but the US can't do much to oligarchs.

As someone pointed out, the biggest weapon American has economically is targeting energy companies, but there is a domestic political cost to that.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 24, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

It's sad and I have said this before the last American president to have a coherent foreign policy and who really seem to get how other countries operated was George H.W. Bush and this isn't a defense of him or his family and his association with Reagan. But he had a clear vision and a path and ways to integrate Russia into the post Cold War era and again seemed to have A foreign policy. Clinton largely seemed to ignore foreign policy, W. we all know, Obama couldn't meet the moment, and Trump is aligned with Putin (sorta) and had no vision either.

And I think this where the rubber is meeting the road here. There are no good or coherent policy frameworks coming left, right, or center to meet the moment.

I mean speaking personally in an ideal world one might take the issue of costs to the west of economic sanctions against russia (particularly the energy sector) to be a great excuse for state intervention in costs of living as well as a massive push for energy autarky (read: renewable energy) but I think that's well outside the range of acceptable ideas for most governments.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

William Bear posted:

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1496877445332582407

No-fly zone sounds like a dead end. There's no way anyone wants to shoot down Russian planes.

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1496785547594924032

"AK-47s for everyone!"

Yeah some hawks tried to get the US to do a no fly zone over Syria too, which would have been far more doable (though still insane imo, as I argued at the time). There's no loving way it's doable over Ukraine.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/DmytroKuleba/status/1496874382102351872

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Pook Good Mook posted:

Rich North Americans don't buy luxury European poo poo on the scale Russians do and the United States' banking system is already a no-go for Russians who may be worried about assets. What the US can offer is heavily subsidized natural gas imports to bridge the gap to new sources of heat.

I said it a page or two ago, but the US can hit Russian companies, corporations, and sovereign wealth, but can't do much to oligarchs, that requires the EU and GB to show a level of backbone that I'm personally skeptical they have in them. Maybe GB and France. This is classic Cold War level weak-poo poo from Euros top to bottom.

GB won't do it, the Tories benefit too much from Russian money and support.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
A non-trivial amount of Europe's banking and real estate is built around just laundering Russian money and no one really wants to tug that thread very hard

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

BoldFace posted:

If America has been hiding some cyber warfare nukes in their sleeves, now might be a good time to deploy them.

To what end?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/Nat_Vasilyeva/status/1496881798680354823

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Every tank and air craft destroyed is a huge victory. Russia cannot afford to replace them quickly enough.

Quickly enough for what?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Shes Not Impressed posted:

https://twitter.com/olgatokariuk/status/1496878993534255104?s=20&t=dYwra1uHfL68PWiUGEDubQ

Chernihiv was my first host city. My host sister just messaged me on FB saying tanks have destroyed the roads that were newly built there. My host father and mother are scanning important documents and sending it to her as she is outside of the country.

...This does not seem like an army that wants to be there or even feels like victory is near

This really is just one man's war over his penis. What a loving sad joke.

Eat poo poo Putin. I hope the Oligarch hyenas finally turn on him

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

To end the war in Ukraine.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Proud Christian Mom posted:

A non-trivial amount of Europe's banking and real estate is built around just laundering Russian money and no one really wants to tug that thread very hard

Real estate in New York too, from what I heard and I don't mean (solely) Trump.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BoldFace posted:

To end the war in Ukraine.

To be blunt: At best Ukraine can delay the Russians and make them pay for any advance, but make no mistake: Russia will likely win this. How quickly is the question right now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shes Not Impressed posted:

i can believe this is real. the russian army has super competent army but even currently, the Russian miliary in the field is super loving inflexible command structure wise. so you get poo poo like this often.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

The Real Amethyst posted:

Are there actually lefty/tankie types trying to defend and justify the invasion or is it just a minority of broke brain freaks? I'm scared to look.

As I said earlier in this thread, I am a Marxist; and as a Marxist I do not know how anyone who claims to be on the left could do anything other than cheer on Ukraines people and Armed Services who, in my view, are fighting someone who is as close to a successor of Hitler as one can realistically imagine.

Again, every human death is a tragedy, but for lack of a better way to say this, I am praying to the nonexistent gods that Ukraine makes Russia bleed for every inch Russian forces advance into Ukraine.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This seems bad. On both sides.

https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1496875128021557249

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

To punish Putin and make engaging in this war even more untenable. gently caress that monster.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pook Good Mook posted:

I said it a page or two ago, but the US can hit Russian companies, corporations, and sovereign wealth, but can't do much to oligarchs, that requires the EU and GB to show a level of backbone that I'm personally skeptical they have in them. Maybe GB and France. This is classic Cold War level weak-poo poo from Euros top to bottom.
The ruling party of the UK is funded by Russian oligarchs, and the UK has a significant banking sector which might be even more dedicated to money laundering than the already "compromised" European banks.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

To be blunt: At best Ukraine can delay the Russians and make them pay for any advance, but make no mistake: Russia will likely win this. How quickly is the question right now.

It depends entirely on how you define winning. Odds were not in their favor, but even Taliban won in the end.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

TulliusCicero posted:

...This does not seem like an army that wants to be there or even feels like victory is near

This really is just one man's war over his penis. What a loving sad joke

Too early to say but it may turn out that telling Russians for 20 years on state media that Ukrainians are their brothers and essentially Russian does not make them want to commit violence against them.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

dr_rat posted:

The 4th tweet in this:
https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1496870025482973194
Depending what they mean by "set the stage" that seems extremely optimistic.

Also it feels weird believing anything Rubio says and I can't say I like it. But yeah so far it seems he is just passing on legit intelligence information.

Uh, isn't "targetting civilian targets for demoralization" terror bombing? That sure worked really well for the Nazis in London.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

BoldFace posted:

It depends entirely on how you define winning. Odds were not in their favor, but even Taliban won in the end.

I don't think many people right now would consider it a win if Russia occupies Ukraine for 20 years and then leaves the country bankrupt and starving upon withdrawal.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Why, really?

The war has over 1 million soldiers across both sides, I don't think some Chechens matter besides being a propaganda coup for Ukraine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BoldFace posted:

Ukraine is a steppe, not a mountainous area easily defended.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

ZombieLenin posted:

As I said earlier in this thread, I am a Marxist; and as a Marxist I do not know how anyone who claims to be on the left could do anything other than cheer on Ukraines people and Armed Services who, in my view, are fighting someone who is as close to a successor of Hitler as one can realistically imagine.

Again, every human death is a tragedy, but for lack of a better way to say this, I am praying to the nonexistent gods that Ukraine makes Russia bleed for every inch Russian forces advance into Ukraine.

Whole heartedly loving :same:

I despise war with all my heart, but there is a very clear moral side here, and it's not the insane gnome ranting about nazis while committing crimes against humanity, it' the people of a country that just want to have peace and be allowed to exist.

Make the Bear bleed Ukraine :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Private Speech posted:

Why, really?

The war has over 1 million soldiers across both sides, I don't think some Chechens matter besides being a propaganda coup for Ukraine.

Well if you're hoping not to see atrocities, involving veterans of the Chechen wars seems like a bad sign to me. :shrug: