Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I don’t have any power level rankings for various Russian infantry. However, you can infer some things from their names:

Simple brigade will be like “69th Air Assault Brigade”. With combat experience and successful names, Russian military units get additional honourifics or awards. These guys? 31st Separate Guards Order of Kutuzov 2nd class Air Assault Brigade. That’s an award, Order of Kutuzov II; a honourifics, Guards; and the fact that they’re a Separate Brigade generally means at least one of the following two - they don’t need babysitting by a broader army structure, or they have special logistical support needs, like fancy equipment.

31st fought in 2nd Chechen War, Georgia War, Crimea annexation, and Kazakhstan uprising.

And if the information we've been getting is correct, Putin just allowed them to get licked by a national guard unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A 70's style gas crisis would be extremely good for the planet right now.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Baronjutter posted:

In fact do the new sanctions imply a permanent hike in the price of oil?

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Baronjutter posted:

The "Biden doing a Carter speed run" meme gets more accurate by the week.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

ZombieLenin posted:

I think someone needs to tell him any one of those three countries could obliterate Russia with their own nuclear arsenals, so maybe let’s not make stupid threats.

The US obviously could but are the UK and France really capable of that? Sincere question as I do not know France's capabilities but I think the UK just has two subs? They're not in the best of condition either given some news scandals that broke out.

I think nuclear weapons are definitely why Putin focused so much on funding Brexit and Le Penne in France however. Him focusing on breaking away the only two nuclear capable EU countries is as blatant as can be and thankfully France didn't fall for it at least.

On another topic, we've seen public resistance in Russia (and how long until those huge crowds turn on the small amount of police?) but has there been any in Belarus? Public protest there could help a lot even if it just slowed movement of Russian forces a bit.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Certainly will accelerate demand for EVs.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Nobody, no matter how well trained, can hold a position assaulted by superior numbers with good firepower.

I'm just surprised about how the Russian airforce couldn't assist them with like droves of bombs.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
White House press meeting is starting.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I don’t have any power level rankings for various Russian infantry. However, you can infer some things from their names:

Simple brigade will be like “69th Air Assault Brigade”. With combat experience and successful names, Russian military units get additional honourifics or awards. These guys? 31st Separate Guards Order of Kutuzov 2nd class Air Assault Brigade. That’s an award, Order of Kutuzov II; a honourific, Guards; and the fact that they’re a Separate Brigade generally means at least one of the following two - they don’t need babysitting by a broader army structure, or they have special logistical support needs, like fancy equipment.

31st fought in 2nd Chechen War, Georgia War, Crimea annexation, and Kazakhstan uprising.

didnt like 200 of them die failing to take an airport.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

quarantinethepast posted:

In fact do the new sanctions imply a permanent hike in the price of oil?

Not yet. We don’t know full details for EU and U.K. sanctions however, and EU reportedly had a consensus for sanctioning the energy sector.

An important factor to watch here is whether if US sanctions oil exports from Russia. Given sensitivity of prices at the pump in the US, and the fact that US buys a lot of oil from Russia, those may be late, or never happen at all.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Mooseontheloose posted:

Certainly will accelerate demand for EVs.

If we could actually get them.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Close, the latter was SSI.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Wasn't the game company SSI? Or do you mean someone else?

Yes!

But if you rotate your neck 180° to either direction then they're the same!!!! :dumbgun:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

If we could actually get them.

Yah, it basically forces us to go in with China on this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Not yet. We don’t know full details for EU and U.K. sanctions however, and EU reportedly had a consensus for sanctioning the energy sector.

An important factor to watch here is whether if US sanctions oil exports from Russia. Given sensitivity of prices at the pump in the US, and the fact that US buys a lot of oil from Russia, those may be late, or never happen at all.

dont we get way way way more from canada and other places.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Affi posted:

I'm just surprised about how the Russian airforce couldn't assist them with like droves of bombs.

this is another surprise

i dont know if its for sure but i saw images claiming to be of ukrainian planes bombing the airstrip which, if so, is an enormous loving whoopsie doodle if the airspace over ukraine is still contested at this point

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Affi posted:

Nobody, no matter how well trained, can hold a position assaulted by superior numbers with good firepower.

I imagine they will be reinforced soon enough considering it's now in the middle of the night. Ukraine forces, evidently, couldn't stop them from taking the airport in broad daylight.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

By the rules the tweet maybe should be spoiler tagged, yeah. I'll edit it for guy.

I just don’t see a point. It’s on twitter. It’s out there. And I’m pretty sure forums posters aren’t beholden to whatever Geneva convention says you can’t post pictures of pows.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

My aunt and female cousins have fled Kiev. I'm wondering if I need to fly to Poland and try to snag them to bring to the USA.

Has the UN said anything about refugee status for Ukrainians?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The way Russia is conducting the war- as long as its still going on- you can always introduce new sanctions later by pretending you just heard about such and such Geneva convention violations

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Simple brigade will be like “69th Air Assault Brigade”. With combat experience and successful missions, Russian military units get additional honourifics or awards. These guys? 31st Separate Guards Order of Kutuzov 2nd class Air Assault Brigade. That’s an award, Order of Kutuzov II; a honourific, Guards; and the fact that they’re a Separate Brigade generally means at least one of the following two - they don’t need babysitting by a broader army structure, or they have special logistical support needs, like fancy equipment.

Alchenar posted:

You are asking for a lot of reading but here you go: https://www.armyupress.army.mil/portals/7/hot%20spots/documents/russia/2017-07-the-russian-way-of-war-grau-bartles.pdf

Bartles is probabley the easiest best read on this. To turn a 400 page book into a couple of lines; much of Russia's army is configured to be operationally effetive but tactically fairly low skill and only capable of a number of set piece battle drills. The airborne forces are the ones that by neccesity are trained to be a lot more flexible and adaptive to a changing battlefield.

e: the above link really goes for anyone who wants to understand how the modern Russian army has reformed since the Soviet days but retains much of that lineage and fights in a very different way to how Western armies train to fight.

Thanks for the info. Interesting stuff, I'll have to take a deeper look at it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just don’t see a point. It’s on twitter. It’s out there. And I’m pretty sure forums posters aren’t beholden to whatever Geneva convention says you can’t post pictures of pows.

But maybe forums posters could be beholden to not cheerleading the execution of people whos pictures are linked in here. That would be nice.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Simple brigade will be like “69th Air Assault Brigade”. With combat experience and successful missions, Russian military units get additional honourifics or awards. These guys? 31st Separate Guards Order of Kutuzov 2nd class Air Assault Brigade. That’s an award, Order of Kutuzov II; a honourific, Guards; and the fact that they’re a Separate Brigade generally means at least one of the following two - they don’t need babysitting by a broader army structure, or they have special logistical support needs, like fancy equipment.

And that award, Order of Kutuzov? That's not just any ol' dude, but the guy that was the head honcho when Napoleon was beaten in Russia in 1812. "It can also be awarded to military units that participated in operation, during which, despite the stubborn resistance of the enemy, the objectives were met with full operational capability of military units retained". So it's not just handed to anyone.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TheRat posted:

But maybe forums posters could be beholden to not cheerleading the execution of people whos pictures are linked in here. That would be nice.

What makes you assume Ukraine is executing POWs? That's a serious allegation to throw around

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Shes Not Impressed posted:

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1496958588685856774?s=20&t=veeMYbjBnjn-ELjTvgDu6g

"I live just off Saskahanskoho.... yeah."

Mod edit: currently we're encouraging tweets showing pows, including this Russian spy dumbass, to be spoiler tagged or something.

mod double edit: I swear there's a way to do it so it still embeds the tweet but can't remember how :saddowns:

Any idea what that "target collection data" doodad is?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Kaddish posted:

I imagine they will be reinforced soon enough considering it's now in the middle of the night. Ukraine forces, evidently, couldn't stop them from taking the airport in broad daylight.

Can't reinforce them when they've been either killed, routed or captured already.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

What makes you assume Ukraine is executing POWs? That's a serious allegation to throw around

What

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

On another topic, we've seen public resistance in Russia (and how long until those huge crowds turn on the small amount of police?) but has there been any in Belarus? Public protest there could help a lot even if it just slowed movement of Russian forces a bit.

People who protest in Belarus tend to wind up tortured or dead:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_issues_related_to_the_suppression_of_the_2020_Belarusian_protests
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deaths_related_to_the_2020_Belarusian_protests

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Maybe I've played too much HoI in my time, but it does seem like the overall Russian strategic plan at this point is to link up the Crimea thrust with the one from Kharkiv and effectively surround all the Ukrainian units on the Donbass front. Seems like the south is where they've managed the largest advance.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
What that particular captured individual was doing, if accurate, puts one in "spies and saboteurs" category, which is deeply, deeply pressured against even in the highest, ponciest Marquess of Queensberry Rules styles of 'civilized' war. usually meant you just got unceremoniously shot.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Spoke with family in St. Petersburg, they moved there recently from Kiev for job reasons and hoping to take advantage of better Russian pensions. They hate Putin and generally don't really get into politics like my family in Ukraine who are raving right wing anti-vaxxer conspiracy folk. They watched Putin's war declaration and found it quite compelling. "Everything is he said was unfortunately true about Ukraine".

They have a genuine belief that the democratically elected jewish comedian and Azov Battalion are one and the same. They kept bringing up how Ukraine is horrible and "burns russian speaking people to death". They don't support the war or like Putin but believe every single accusation he made and thinks Ukraine mostly brought this on itself for threatening russia with its existence.

Yeah

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

this is another surprise

i dont know if its for sure but i saw images claiming to be of ukrainian planes bombing the airstrip which, if so, is an enormous loving whoopsie doodle if the airspace over ukraine is still contested at this point

https://www.understandingwar.org

some war nerds gave a good summery of stuff happening(though its old since the Ukrainians took back the airfield) but it sounds like the russians only got some of the airforce. not all.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

My aunt and female cousins have fled Kiev. I'm wondering if I need to fly to Poland and try to snag them to bring to the USA.

Has the UN said anything about refugee status for Ukrainians?

You're going to be in a tough spot brining them to the US. Immigration is likely to deny anyone coming from Ukraine to the US as they are likely not to come back to their home country. I would look into refugee status or humanitarian parole.

Also probably worth it to call your federal representation and ask them to file, create, or join any efforts to create a Ukrainian TPS or refugee status to allow for Ukrainians to get to the United States.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

dominoeffect posted:

Any idea what that "target collection data" doodad is?

No idea. Aric Toler is saying they found out the guy is a priest at a Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Kyiv.

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1496978826953478151?s=20&t=njVKuDm155az1GuTmN8hXw

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

If they aren't, how is posting pictures "cheerleading executions"?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Oil is about as fungible a good you can find, extraction costs vary, but crude oil is basically identical all over the world.

So if you cut out Russian supply, no matter where the replacements come from everyone who uses oil is seeking the same sources, making it more expensive. In the US context, the United States has the most refining capacity of any country in the world, which means that it imports crude, refines it, and then ships it back out.

What this means is that if the United States stops taking a source of crude, it makes a smaller pool of crude to shop from, and any oil refined in America has its cost passed on to end users. That's not to say there isn't a replacement for Russian crude, assuming prices go up high enough oil sands and Alberta and Dakota's become viable again. But the cost remains high. So it's not that oil will be hard to come by. There will always be some available for the foreseeable future. It's just a matter of how much it costs to make and ship.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 24, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

didnt like 200 of them die failing to take an airport.

According to Ukrainian government, they took it, and eventually got driven out of it, or killed. They held roughly for half a day, from what we can tell if we assume the account is solid, and heavy armour eventually got involved.

We don’t know how many of them were there, I think. Entire brigade is like 3000 people, and 31st has 3 infantry battalions and 1 recon battalion, which should amount to ~1500 infantry men, so could be over 200 easily - but could also be fewer than that.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Rangers aren’t ‘SF’ imo they’re conventional quick reaction light infantry rolled up under SOCOM

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is a “host family” or “host sister?”

A common expression used regarding the host family for language or cultural exchange students. You live with them for X weeks or months as part of your study, and they treat you like a simpleton cousin everyone loves.

OP presumably lived studied in that town and is still in touch. I still talk to my host family from the months I lived in Qingdao nearly 20 years ago (Jesus gently caress I'm old)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I think majority is from Canada, but you still spend billions each year on Russian oil, and this is a really inconvenient time to try to do oil supply chain kung fu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

According to Ukrainian government, they took it, and eventually got driven out of it, or killed. They held roughly for half a day, from what we can tell if we assume the account is solid, and heavy armour eventually got involved.

We don’t know how many of them were there, I think. Entire brigade is like 3000 people, and 31st has 3 infantry battalions and 1 recon battalion, which should amount to ~1500 infantry men, so could be over 200 easily - but could also be fewer than that.

true but i still nuts.