Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, four of them, compared to the 359 or so fielded by the Russians.

Fake edit: Wikipedia is telling me they have 32 of them, but I swore I heard that the Ukrainian Air Force only had 70 combat-worthy aircraft remaining.

Any source giving exact or near exact numbers as to how many aircraft Ukraine has left is probably suspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

Holy poo poo that's actually huge if true

I never thought the EU would sanction oil in a million years

They're not sanctioning Russian imports, but rather she said, halting the export to them of mechanical "instruments" that Russia needs to maintain and run their operations.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Ignore the account, the article is the important part.

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR/status/1497054231794274304

quote:

“Ukrainian cybercommunity! It’s time to get involved in the cyber defense of our country,” the post read, asking hackers and cybersecurity experts to submit an application via Google docs, listing their specialties, such as malware development, and professional references.

Yegor Aushev, the co-founder of a cybersecurity company in Kyiv, told Reuters he wrote the post at the request of a senior Defense Ministry official who contacted him on Thursday. Aushev’s firm Cyber Unit Technologies is known for working with Ukraine’s government on the defense of critical infrastructure.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TulliusCicero posted:

Moscow's intelligence seems completely off throughout this whole thing, their material seems to be uhhhh lacking if that transport plane had it's own tail fall off in Russian airspace, the strategic/ tactical calls are all over the place...

...Does Russia JUST have trollfarms now? Did they sell all their weapons or something and purge their experienced soldiers? How bad off financially is the average Russian?

...Is a covid outbreak amongst Russian forces playing a factor here? I heard they were getting kinda ravaged there.

This is NOT the Russian military I was expecting. I'm honestly kinda baffled

I suspect the west/us/uk have spies/moles all over the higher echelons of the Russian military and intelligence. So I wouldn’t be shocked if we have their battle plans as they are being written and we give them to Ukraine.

TulliusCicero posted:

Thiis whole thing seems just... utterly chaotic and slapped together

The main objective seems to be Kyiv but holy poo poo you are going to bumrush a heavily fortified and vast city with massive tunnels, while you bypass the rest of the country's armed forces and expect them not to retaliate

This isn't a video game, Putin you moron
I also suspect putin never really briefed the military outside the top folks. So everyone is blind.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

Cnn are affected by the fog of war just like everyone else, I dunno why folks think they are like the holy grail of information in this.

Hell they ran up to Russian infantry thinking they were Ukrainian

It's not CNN itself that is the source through. They are simply repeating what they are told by the Ukrainian Deputy Interior Minister. So of course even that person could be wrong about things but it's not a source I would immediately dismiss.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

the popes toes posted:

They're not sanctioning Russian imports, but rather she said, halting the export to them of mechanical "instruments" that Russia needs to maintain and run their operations.

I'd assume any equipment they need they can just import from China... no?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Unless it's actually a Ukrainian fighter that got smacked by a long-range missile

Ah, hell. Unfortunately, though it's nice to hope otherwise, I think this is the most likely scenario for what happened: the Ukranian fighter was doing a low-level, low-speed combat air patrol, got picked up by a distant Russian SAM, and probably didn't begin evading/dropping flares and chaff until it was already too late.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Even this plan seems weirdly haphazard is the thing. Like, did he think all he had to do was move troops in and they'd all be greeted as liberators or something?

Move troops in and take the capital as quickly as possible. Depose the current regime, install a russian-friendly puppet regime. Leave behind a much smaller peacekeeping force while the puppet regime uses the separatist army suppress their own people. It's the classic playbook. Luckily 1968 probably had longterm negative consequences for the USSR, and we can only hope it does in this case as well.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Ah, hell. Unfortunately, though it's nice to hope otherwise, I think this is the most likely scenario for what happened: the Ukranian fighter was doing a low-level, low-speed combat air patrol, got picked up by a distant Russian SAM, and probably didn't begin evading/dropping flares and chaff until it was already too late.

Has it been reported that they are running CAP flights in the city. That seems pretty weird to be doing currently.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

buglord posted:

As someone incredibly ignorant of diplomacy,

Whats's the ideal strength and outcome of sanctions? From what little I can summarize here, everyone is still economically connected in some way or another so not buying from Russia/selling things to them isn't a painless proposition? So the EU is trying to squeeze Russia as much as they can without it being severe enough to be politically costly at home? And then as far the outcome goes, what's the EU hoping for here? Is it messing with the markets enough to piss off the oligarchs (which appear to be the only demographic Putin needs to maintain power)? Or are sanctions something that you use to threaten someone out of doing an aggressive act? Do they still have an effect if the other party still does the unwanted thing?

You can just link me to a diplo 101 video on youtube or something, I know that's all pretty broad. I just don't know what to make of the EU sanction news and what this means for the war and/or the stability of Putin's govt.

Ideal outcome is people stop doing the thing sanctions are about - then you just remove then, and restore friendship or whatever.

Everyone is indeed connected, and much of economy works in “just in time” fashion, so for many goods there’s no ready second source. Consequently, full on trade embargo would be incredibly damaging to everyone at least somewhat adjacent. That is why many, myself included, will likely complain about EU package when details are released tomorrow - they will unlikely touch natural gas or SWIFT, since either of those would require EU to be willing to absorb damage. The same goes for Americans not sanctioning Russian oil.

Consequently, EU and US are trying to walk tight rope that has the following priorities: don’t piss off people at home > affect Putin’s decision making > don’t piss off Ukrainians.

Given that EU’s meatiest sanction part likely will be the financial sanctions, it looks like they want to pressure oligarchs indeed. American plan is similar, I think, but I don’t remember the details.

Problem is that Putin is a dictator, who enforces stability of his government with ruthless force. Therefore, he may just have one-two oligarchs thrown in prison in they get rowdy. In general, it’s difficult to predict what effect sanctions will have, and on whom.

Right now we’re waiting for the capital market trading to open tomorrow, to see where current sanctions take Russian stock market index and their currency. If it holds steady, or Russia really starts bombing everyone to hell, further sanctions rounds may follow, but the appetite for a more serious escalation in that regard doesn’t seem to be there yet.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://mobile.twitter.com/nexta_tv...er%3D65lastpost https://mobile.twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1497035179315142657 This seems possible.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

buglord posted:

As someone incredibly ignorant of diplomacy,

Whats's the ideal strength and outcome of sanctions? From what little I can summarize here, everyone is still economically connected in some way or another so not buying from Russia/selling things to them isn't a painless proposition? So the EU is trying to squeeze Russia as much as they can without it being severe enough to be politically costly at home? And then as far the outcome goes, what's the EU hoping for here? Is it messing with the markets enough to piss off the oligarchs (which appear to be the only demographic Putin needs to maintain power)? Or are sanctions something that you use to threaten someone out of doing an aggressive act? Do they still have an effect if the other party still does the unwanted thing?

You can just link me to a diplo 101 video on youtube or something, I know that's all pretty broad. I just don't know what to make of the EU sanction news and what this means for the war and/or the stability of Putin's govt.

The things they are being put in place are absolutely not at all painless. Denying business VISA is a huge big deal. It'll make oligarchs or really anyone in Russia that does international business much more difficult and probably poorer. The idea is with enough pressure they'll persuade them to push out Putin or something smaller like a prisoner exchange, ceasefire, etc.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

how did Louis CK's show go?

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
The news media coverage was decent the first night, with correspondents on the ground and footage most of the time. Now it’s 90% talking heads regurgitating opinions and talking points, it’s insufferable. This thread is way more informative.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Small White Dragon posted:

I'd assume any equipment they need they can just import from China... no?

EU package seems to include semiconductors and aviation goods, which is high tech stuff that China cannot make. For example, all “forging machines” for semiconductor chips are made by the same company in the Netherlands. We need to wait for afternoon now, when we’ll get EU sanctions details, to tell how hard really is the oil stuff hitting, and so on.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Bombed

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Presumably it bombed.

e::argh:

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Russia might be stupid enough to think that the new government would have public support or at least acceptance.

Who the gently caress would this even be for? The west would never accept it or drop the sanctions.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pook Good Mook posted:

Russia might be stupid enough to think that the new government would have public support or at least acceptance.

Who the gently caress would this even be for? The west would never accept it or drop the sanctions.

If anything, West would be forced to escalate sanctions over half of the country being annexed. That would be like 20-30 million people, compared to 3-4 million in the proxies.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The phrase "if true" has been getting a hell of a workout in the last day or so.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

German politicians would be confronted dealing with actual Berlin Wall 2.0, in the most literal interpretation of those alleged plots. That’s not something any politician in Germany will be able to “but gas” over.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Pook Good Mook posted:

For Russia. They'd presumably own the coastline and Ukraine would be a landlocked economic mess.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

...that's the plan? Hail mary the capital and create East and West Ukraine, maybe?

He may have a reputation as a cold autocrat/ power projector but he's an absolute poo poo battlefield/ strategic commander. Hitler was too Putin, you're in good company

This is some very optimistic poo poo for a main plan

10,000 paratroopers vs how many millions of angry Ukranians in the city? Encircled by Ukranian defense forces?

Does he base all of his plan off his jack-off fantasies from James Bond movies?

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Powered Descent posted:

The phrase "if true" has been getting a hell of a workout in the last day five years or so.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I'm pretty far removed from the cold war age wise so I just realized this must be insane for people who lived through tensions with the USSR.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ummel posted:

For Russia. They'd presumably own the coastline and Ukraine would be a landlocked economic mess.

Ya but I mean, why bother? Just annex at that point. No one will bother to talk with the new government and Ukrainians would never accept it.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

cinci zoo sniper posted:

EU package seems to include semiconductors and aviation goods, which is high tech stuff that China cannot make. For example, all “forging machines” for semiconductor chips are made by the same company in the Netherlands. We need to wait for afternoon now, when we’ll get EU sanctions details, to tell how hard really is the oil stuff hitting, and so on.

So basically a whole bunch of nothing. Most of the EU’s sanctions don’t even make a dent outside of a 10 year+ time frame, and the sanctions will have been lifted by then.

All of the EU countries who decided to make themselves beholden to Putin’s LNG bare responsibility for this.

Breaking Glass
Dec 15, 2021

Powered Descent posted:

The phrase "if true" has been getting a hell of a workout in the last day or so.

big if true

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

...that's the plan? Hail mary the capital and create East and West Ukraine, maybe?

He may have a reputation as a cold autocrat/ power projector but he's an absolute poo poo battlefield/ strategic commander. Hitler was too Putin, you're in good company

This is some very optimistic poo poo for a main plan

10,000 paratroopers vs how many millions of angry Ukranians in the city? Encircled by Ukranian defense forces?

Does he base all of his plan off his jack-off fantasies from James Bond movies?

Wikipedia says the Kyiv police force alone has 50k employees.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Pook Good Mook posted:

Ya but I mean, why bother? Just annex at that point. No one will bother to talk with the new government and Ukrainians would never accept it.

Agreed. But Putin loves his plausible deniability, no matter how ridiculous.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

A full on refusal to import their oil would so shock the markets that the price disruptions would erode popular support. It's much the same thing with Germany: people paying more than they can afford for heating fuel will not support the measures. It's selfish and realistic.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TyrantWD posted:

So basically a whole bunch of nothing. Most of the EU’s sanctions don’t even make a dent outside of a 10 year+ time frame, and the sanctions will have been lifted by then.

All of the EU countries who decided to make themselves beholden to Putin’s LNG bare responsibility for this.

Financial sanctions will be hitting with the first second, and VDL is saying that something like 70% of banking sector + bunch of state enterprises are targeted. I’m personally frustrated with the EU response so far, but we’ll have to wait for the details of the package, EU afternoon.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Pook Good Mook posted:

Wikipedia says the Kyiv police force alone has 50k employees.

How effective are civilian police forces against mechanized units?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the popes toes posted:

A full on refusal to import their oil would so shock the markets that the price disruptions would erode popular support. It's much the same thing with Germany: people paying more than they can afford for heating fuel will not support the measures. It's selfish and realistic.

Full on refusal to import oil would be reckless. An export levy on it, however, would’ve just squeezed Russians, imo - but I’m not an economist.

Full on refusal to import natural gas or maybe a SWIFT expulsion, on the other hand, is something we can, and imo should, do. Italy and Germany were opposed to sanctioning gas, Germany - SWIFT. Scholz offered his sage wisdom with “we need to leave some sanctions for later”.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

My understanding is that they have mandatory military service and have been pretty free with handing out military grade infantry equipment so while probably not at parity with invading Russian troops they are probably better off than you would think.

So I guess not great but better than just cops.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Ukraine can loving brawl.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

There’s also territorial defence forces, national guard, and army in Kyiv. I doubt anyone plans to have traffic cops fight Spetsnaz.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Had at least one failed airport invasion so far.

Turning the airports into meat grinders for a leader facing immediate economic consequences who needs this fight not to be prolonged sounds like a pretty good defensive strategy. And given we know Putin is unwilling to alter plans despite massive intelligence leaks, it wouldn't surprise me if he still went through with it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Vahakyla posted:

US police have tanks and missiles. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Gin_Rummy posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but honestly why doesn’t the EU just straight up sanction oil? Don’t Norway and/or other Scandinavian countries have quite a bit of it that they could massively profit from without Russia in the equation? Or is that false info that I am wrong about?

The same reason why America didn't put oil sanctions on Saudi Arabia with the invasion of Yemen.

cr0y posted:

Ukraine can loving brawl.

Imagine if their "joke" Stephen Colbert president pulls a Winter War.