Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Flavahbeast posted:

if thats actually real I dont think the transponder was supposed to be on

If it wasn’t headed direct to a war zone they might have kept the transponder on? 🤷‍♀️

Also looks like Ukrainians are operating from austere airfields?

https://twitter.com/iaponomarenko/status/1497360040596025344?s=21

Not sure I would have posted that though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Randarkman posted:

What are you basing this assumption on? This isn't WWII, if it's one thing that Russia really can't afford to just throw away its young people. And even if we go back to the Soviet Union, during the Afghan war the steady casualties from that were a source of mounting discontent.

It's a pretty safe assumption based on their tactics so far. It's not horrifying human wave tactics, they're not throwing lives away, but they've been willing to take calculated gambles to sacrifice lives in the hopes of shortening the fighting.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sinteres posted:

Ghost of Kyiv is very obviously propaganda, come on.

It is very clearly a feel-good story, and it is receiving attribution for way too much stuff, including some bad reporting with ARMA 3 gameplay that I’ve seen elsewhere.

In reality it may be a MiG pilot with 2 kills, or maybe 0 kills, or a completely fictional pilot that doesn’t exist - and I think that’s okay. No one seems to be earnestly suggesting that Ukrainian MiG-9000 is going to be ramming Russian helicopters until dawn.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Relevant Tangent posted:

In your opinion is Putin acting as if he cares about the lives of his conscripts? You can look at his actions and see that he has a low regard for human life, there's no reason to think he'd feel more warmth about Russian troops.

In my opinion Putin not caring about the lives of his soldiers and Russia being able to sustain casualties are two different things.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

JosefStalinator posted:

A bit back, but this was made in response to the failure of the league of nations.

It's frustrating, but the UN was designed to be as inclusive as possible and work only with overwhelming consensus. If Russia didn't have it's veto, it would probably just ignore or even leave the UN, which is what happened under the league. Eventually everyone would leave and it'd just become another NATO or US led organization.

This is all correct, but to add: it is also basically a nuclear veto. It is an acknowledgement that any of those countries could destroy the world if they wanted to.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
The Russian play book under Putin has always been "tell deliberately preposterous lies, because the truth doesn't matter when you can apply force"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Interesting, the Yemeni shopkeeper on the corner told me NATO bombed Serbia because they didn't want Muslims in the center of Europe. And here I thought it was because of genocide.

Eric Cantonese posted:

Weren’t Muslims the ones the Serbians were helping murder? What a confusing take.

There's a kernel of truth in the Yemeni shopkeeper's message, perhaps. European Union was loving panicking over Balkanese refugees in the 90's! The whole ethnic cleansing business might not have intested anyone so much if Serbs weren't torching first the homes of Bosniaks and then of Kosovars, making them flee mostly to Germany.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

Alchenar posted:

Uh, I mean 8 years ago. Coronavirus has broken my brain a bit for the passage of time.

Whose fighting the russians if the Ukr military collapsed 8 years ago?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

freeasinbeer posted:

If it wasn’t headed direct to a war zone they might have kept the transponder on? 🤷‍♀️

If assume the goal of that post is to show that Air Force is operational, since there has been a lot both rightfully negative commentary on it, and Russian propaganda about “total and utter annihilation” of it.

As for the ladder specifically, who cares that it’s not fancy.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

freeasinbeer posted:

yeah once I looked at it on flightradar's map I realized its a different location, I think the alleged shootdown was way south of that

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A fairly important point here is that the Russian armed forces are basically the only state institution left in Russia that has significant levels of trust and respect (ironic, given how desperate everyone is to not get conscripted what with all the bullying and suicide), and it's had 20 years of 'good' wars. An unjust war that goes badly and which is obviously resulting in lots of kids never coming home might not mean anything, but it might also turn out to be the last straw that snaps. It won't, but it is a risk the Kremlin will have been thinking about. Hence crematoria trucks so no bodybags.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

its apparently footage from a video game lol

One specific video of a dogfight is from DCS, but there are several genuine videos of Ukrainian jets over Kyiv.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It is very clearly a feel-good story, and it is receiving attribution for way too much stuff, including some bad reporting with ARMA 3 gameplay that I’ve seen elsewhere.

In reality it may be a MiG pilot with 2 kills, or maybe 0 kills, or a completely fictional pilot that doesn’t exist - and I think that’s okay. No one seems to be earnestly suggesting that Ukrainian MiG-9000 is going to be ramming Russian helicopters until dawn.

I get the desire to create a mythical hero in a time of national crisis, it just feels weird for outsiders to be participating in it, and gross for some to be chasing clout with it. I'm already dreading the lovely Hollywood movie about it. I won't post about it after this, both because it's not my job to tell people what to post, and I know people are genuinely caught up in the emotion of the moment, but I feel like at least trying to post something approaching reality as far as people are able to discern is a key part of good faith discussion. Spreading fake news is generally frowned upon even if it makes us feel good.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Flavahbeast posted:

if thats actually real I dont think the transponder was supposed to be on

Wouldn't be bad psyops from Ukraine to slap a transponder with false identification on some random plane and have it look like a crash.

Even if it's fake, I'll share the gently caress out of it, because we need to embrace this war on information and anything to lower Russia's morale is good.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Zhanism posted:

Whose fighting the russians if the Ukr military collapsed 8 years ago?

Latvian mercenaries, duh.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Good faith post: The Ghost of Kyiv is loving rad

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1497355727735771136?s=20&t=uRcksQLZyZ56AnJBsnwKwg

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
If I was a Russian military planner I would be absolutely making GBS threads bricks based on what we have seen so far, both from the perspective of Ukrainian material, as well as morale. The possibility of a catastrophic insurgency appears to have gone from "likely" all the way past "lol have fun with Afghanistan 2.0"

When dudes with late generation AK 104s are cheerfully filming Tiktoks where they are screwing on a special forces tier suppressor and talking about the bush insurgency they are getting hard in anticipation of, you are soooooo hosed. This is on par with when Saddam's militias handed out the entire arsenal right before Bagdhad fell.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Sinteres posted:

Ghost of Kyiv is very obviously propaganda, come on.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Becoming Legend

https://twitter.com/minnesodope/status/1497079972699119616

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Franks Happy Place posted:

This is all correct, but to add: it is also basically a nuclear veto. It is an acknowledgement that any of those countries could destroy the world if they wanted to.

This too nowadays, but it was designed before all the P5 even had nukes or plans to have nukes. It's really more a mechanism to avoid a breakdown of the UN as happened during the league.

If that makes it ineffective, the UN is designed to be the maximally inclusive institution in all senses, and it's up to NATO or other alliances and whatnot to pursue individual state/alliances' goals.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HolHorsejob posted:

The Russian play book under Putin has always been "tell deliberately preposterous lies, because the truth doesn't matter when you can apply force"

Also, if you can damage the concept of objective truth and reliable sourcing, it doesn't really matter whether any particular lie you told benefits you are not, because in the long term you're eroding the ability of media to hurt you and of the media consumers to give a poo poo.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Franks Happy Place posted:

If I was a Russian military planner I would be absolutely making GBS threads bricks based on what we have seen so far, both from the perspective of Ukrainian material, as well as morale. The possibility of a catastrophic insurgency appears to have gone from "likely" all the way past "lol have fun with Afghanistan 2.0"

When dudes with late generation AK 104s are cheerfully filming Tiktoks where they are screwing on a special forces tier suppressor and talking about the bush insurgency they are getting hard in anticipation of, you are soooooo hosed. This is on par with when Saddam's militias handed out the entire arsenal right before Bagdhad fell.

It's day 2. We have no idea what may or may not happen.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

freeasinbeer posted:

This is part of the plan. Airfield are priority first strike targets. The Ukr AF likely began to disperse days before the balloon went up.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Judging by how shocked and stressed out the FSB director and oligarchs were in the "live" meetings with Putin, I think they were making GBS threads bricks before the war started

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lmao, excellent.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

An insane conspiracy theory claiming that Putin is actually destroying covid 19 bioweapon sites in ukraine is taking hold on twitter

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Randarkman posted:

In my opinion Putin not caring about the lives of his soldiers and Russia being able to sustain casualties are two different things.

Putin not caring about the lives of his soldiers means the military isn't going to be allowed to minimize casualties. He's just going to get more and more enraged by Ukraine's failure to greet him as a liberator. He drank his own koolaid about "Biden being weak" and "Sweden and Finland will be punished."

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Zhanism posted:

This is part of the plan. Airfield are priority first strike targets. The Ukr AF likely began to disperse days before the balloon went up.

I’m more concerned from an opsec, locate this staging area perspective.

If you can ID that dude and his cell phone, whoops!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Bullfrog posted:

An insane conspiracy theory claiming that Putin is actually destroying covid 19 bioweapon sites in ukraine is taking hold on twitter

Probably started by the russian troll farms.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Upgrade posted:

It's day 2. We have no idea what may or may not happen.

It's Day 2 of the "how to start a horrific insurgency" speedrun you mean.

Sure maybe everyone in the country dies or magically becomes chill with the inevitable Russian occupation or whatever, but handing out 14,000 AKs to the civilian population and broadcasting Baby's First Molotov over the radio is sowing a very special kind of seed for the future, I promise you.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

freeasinbeer posted:

I’m more concerned from an opsec, locate this staging area perspective.

If you can ID that dude and his cell phone, whoops!

The Ukrainians have been very careful about leaking any sort of information detrimental to their own forces.
I doubt it reflects any current location they're working.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

HolHorsejob posted:

Which is why if this campaign succeeds, we're looking towards mass conflict this decade.

Trump 2024 as yet another superpower flexing its might under a total disinformation umbrella is terrifying.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I've seen this posted in a few places as footage of the II-76 that was supposedly shot down:

[edit] removed. Sorry, it was from last night.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 26, 2022

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Bullfrog posted:

Yeah, I saw some Q posts about how the war is really about Putin fighting to free the thousands of children from underground sex dungeons or whatever. The usual meltbrains are doing their thing.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Russian Economy, Go gently caress yourself.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

its apparently footage from a video game lol

There's a video that's a fake, with game footage layered on top of real footage, that got shared all over the place.

But people were talking about the "Ghost of Kiev" before that video ever existed. Those rumors are what inspired the creator to make the video. Maybe the ghost is propaganda, maybe it's actually real, but it did not originate from a video game lol

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

fuctifino posted:

I've seen this posted in a few places as footage of the II-76 that was supposedly shot down:

https://twitter.com/mitkofx/status/1497361983523414021

This was PVO shooting down either a cruise missile or a Su-27 last night.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Bullfrog posted:

This reminds me that David Dees seemed fond of Putin, and makes me wish we could have seen his insane take on this conflict.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/mitkofx/status/1497361983523414021
That's from yesterday and seems to have been a downed cruise missile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

canepazzo posted:

Probably started by the russian troll farms.

Prepare to see this on Fox in 3, 2, 1....