Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

OctaMurk posted:

Agreed on the nukes, however TBH, I think the whole "CLANCYCHAT" thing is a little ironic right? The largest country in the Europe led by an unhinged dictator has just invaded the second largest country in Europe, sparking the region's largest conventional war since World War II. This would be the basis for a Clancy novel; and as little as months ago it would have been clancychat to even discuss Russia launching a no-poo poo, full-scale invasion of Ukraine to occupy the entire thing instead of just the Eastern portion.

It's not really ironic. This thread is moving incredibly fast and there's plenty of actual news and discussion to be had that doesn't spin off into speculation of unlikely things. I mean, yes, the situation is pretty loving Clancy but we don't need to derail the thread and ratchet everyone's anxiety up further by wondering about nukes hitting the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Ashmole posted:

Re: tank talk

From the videos I've seen of the destroyed tanks, most of them are on roads. I think the Russians are trying to move quickly so they're staying in columns on roads to get to their destination quickly - I think this was their TTP in the cold war era. So, it doesn't seem like they're deploying into tactical formations and spreading out to make use of the advantages that modern tanks offer.

Modern tanks have crazy good optics with stabilizing systems that can extend the effective range for their MGs as well as their cannons. In the US army, at least, we do a lot of drills where you're acquiring targets from hull defilade, popping up for no more than 5 seconds, taking a shot, then going back down to reload. In the attack, you're basically fighting from position to position like this and trying to destroy your enemy from as far out as possible.

Problem is that as We’ve seen they just have no fuel. With 0 fuel reserve and a strict time schedule bounding overwatch, advancing across terrain and taking better terrain are all out of the picture. Ukraine isn’t horrible thank ground but cross-country you still use so.much.more fuel not only bc of terrain but bc of reduced speed.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Xotl posted:

How much longer is the mud thought to last for?

In many of the soils, it will be wet and muddy all summer. Especially much of the farm land which is full of decayed organics. Ukraine makes a lot of wheat. Clearings that look like inviting grasslands will vary from solid ground to tank traps in the span of a few hundred meters. Of course you’re suppose to have experienced commanders who can tell what ground to cross on. They seem to be lacking those at the moment

ethanol fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 28, 2022

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Wasn't the Belarusians supposed to have started their offensive by now?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Hamelekim posted:

I do wonder if Putin really is suffering from serious health issues at the moment. If so that could make him incredibly dangerous and unstable in his decision making in a crisis like this.

https://twitter.com/DavidYankovich/status/1498167232123346947

It's a terminal case of botox.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Valtonen posted:

Problem is that as We’ve seen they just have no fuel. With 0 fuel reserve and a strict time schedule bounding overwatch, advancing across terrain and taking better terrain are all out of the picture. Ukraine isn’t horrible thank ground but cross-country you still use so.much.more fuel not only bc of terrain but bc of reduced speed.

Especially with them not basing in Ukraine. They are going across the border every night because they can't move the supply lines any further out.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He’s older and fatter, there’s no need to brainstorm conspiracies where he’s taking the whole world with him because he’s terminal or some poo poo.

also botox

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Charlz Guybon posted:

If anonymous wants to hack a Russian tv feed with something, they should do it with this, not Ukrainian folk songs.
It's been said before, but their social media game is really good.

Morrow posted:

Yeah, he's older, fatter, and has a ton of botox, filler, and plastic surgery.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Morrow posted:

I heard that's a pretty serious condition.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

ethanol posted:

In many of the soils, it will be wet and muddy all summer. Especially much of the farm land which is full of decayed organics. Ukraine makes a lot of wheat. Clearings that look like inviting grasslands will vary from solid ground to tank traps in the span of a few hundred meters. Of course you’re suppose to have experienced commanders who can tell what ground to cross on. They seem to be lacking those at the moment

How do agricultural tractors do it? Just from their lighter weight, or do the farmlands have better drainage?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

TasogareNoKagi posted:

How do agricultural tractors do it? Just from their lighter weight, or do the farmlands have better drainage?

Tend to have very tall and or wide drive wheels and are not very heavy. Are not wearing armor

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

It's been said before, but their social media game is really good.

The Jingo's dialed up on those more directly receiving state funding. Not that they don't have a point, but it's still pretty uncomfortable.

https://twitter.com/UATV_en/status/1498062667721887751

Haven't heard from Illia Ponomarenko of the Kyiv Independent in about 12 hours. Hoping he's just getting some well needed rest; greedily not wanting the fog of war to apply to me, over here, on the computer.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Average tractor is about 8 tons. A Russian T-72 is about 40 tons.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1497953304378327043

Not that it means Ukraine will win or anything, but it does look like the reports of massive equipment losses by the Russians may be accurate.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

ethanol posted:

In many of the soils, it will be wet and muddy all summer. Especially much of the farm land which is full of decayed organics. Ukraine makes a lot of wheat. Clearings that look like inviting grasslands will vary from solid ground to tank traps in the span of a few thousand meters. Of course you’re suppose to have experienced commanders who can tell what ground to cross on. They seem to be lacking those at the moment

Fertile loam makes great farmland because it's soft and loose. There's a reason tractor tires have giant almost paddle-like treads on em, traction is a major issue.

They actually make tracked tractors, but the design is completely different. Again, deeper tread wider apart, and ones in the weight class of a tank have 4 tracks instead of two so you can actually turn the fuckers.

This Bad boy is just under 30 tons

And the quads are still a super recent design as far as tractors go - first released in 1996ish. So apparently it hasn't been integrated into tank design yet.

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 28, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hamelekim posted:

That 2018/2022 looks like he's got some classic Bophedes sign to me.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1498172832303521792?s=20&t=e-QS162e7Y2tkM11nKdIrQ

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Mr. Apollo posted:

Average tractor is about 8 tons. A Russian T-72 is about 40 tons.

There's a stat for that called ground pressure. Also, most tractors don't move on caterpilar treads which spread the weight out over a much larger area.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

tractor chat

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Quote is not edit

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

TasogareNoKagi posted:

lighter weight. tractors just need to be a big engine and big wheels, thats it. you don't need to armor them or carry a gun around, plus ammo, plus defensive equipment, plus optics, etc

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

And the drunk Russian dogs probably sit and jerk off in the tanks for hours on end so it ends up sinking before they can muster enough vigor to proceed with putins agenda.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

DOOMocrat posted:

The Jingo's dialed up on those more directly receiving state funding. Not that they don't have a point, but it's still pretty uncomfortable.

https://twitter.com/UATV_en/status/1498062667721887751

Haven't heard from Illia Ponomarenko of the Kyiv Independent in about 12 hours. Hoping he's just getting some well needed rest; greedily not wanting the fog of war to apply to me, over here, on the computer.

They do not have a point.

javi
Jun 5, 2004

Silly yes ... Idiotic ... yes.!

Sir John Falstaff posted:

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1497953304378327043

Not that it means Ukraine will win or anything, but it does look like the reports of massive equipment losses by the Russians may be accurate.

It’s not just that too, but even if/when they take Kyiv they will be up against resistance who is getting more weapons. Compared to the economic uncertainty and dwindling supply/manpower the Russians have. They may get the city today, but won’t be able to keep it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

KitConstantine posted:

Fertile loam makes great farmland because it's soft and loose. There's a reason tractor tires have giant almost paddle-like treads on em, traction is a major issue.

They actually make tracked tractors, but the design is completely different. Again, deeper tread wider apart, and ones in the weight class of a tank have 4 tracks instead of two so you can actually turn the fuckers.

And the quads are still a super recent design as far as tractors go - first released in 1996ish. So apparently it hasn't been integrated into tank design yet.

Because reducing ground pressure is everything for a tank, quad tracks are less advantageous for a heavy vehicle. It doesn’t really matter what you put on a 50 ton object they all sink and get sick in mud. You can’t make a tank 40 ft tall either. (I think Germany probably tried though) The key to traction on tracks is to stay above the muck, being light helps with that . Russians actually has these vehicles and they’re not using them. They pulled out the tanks instead. Because they made like 8000 of them I guess

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

They may have to surrender Crimea and Donetsk entirely.

I mean what's the repercussion if Ukraine shits out the Russian army? Can they retake the original borders?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Agricutural tractors do get bogged.

However yes, they are lighter and have tires designed to not churn the ground up. Also farmers try to select times when the ground is able to support cultivation equipment.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Hamelekim posted:

Especially if used in the butt.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

DOOMocrat posted:

Looks like he's up and he's quite excited....

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1498174286095388676

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

ethanol posted:

Because reducing ground pressure is everything for a tank, quad tracks are less advantageous for a heavy vehicle. It doesn’t really matter what you put on a 50 ton object they all sink and get sick in mud. You can’t make a tank 40 ft tall either. (I think Germany probably tried though) The key to traction on tracks is to stay above the muck, being light helps with that . Russians actually has these vehicles and they’re not using them. They pulled out the tanks instead. Because they made like 8000 of them I guess

Probably also because tanks have guns and tractors don't

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

KitConstantine posted:

Counterpoint I’m 99% sure my neighbor is armed in his tractor daily

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

They may have to surrender Crimea and Donetsk entirely.

I mean what's the repercussion if Ukraine shits out the Russian army? Can they retake the original borders?

The situation is evolving so quickly I don't think anyone can predict what will happen. The EU is escalating much more aggressively than anyone expected. The Kyiv offensive seems to be going poorly but at the same time the Russians still have a huge numerical advantage and are advancing on multiple fronts.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Way too early to claim victory if Russia decides not to care about civilian casualties and sieges Kyiv.

If Russia considers Donbas+Crimea their territory now, then no you can't take it back for the same reason NATO can't attack Russia - you can't attack the territory of a nuclear state. Even if Russia has 1 tank left. It's never been done and never will.

I think the best hope now is Putin being overthrown, to be honest, I'm not sure if Ukraine will agree to give up Donbas in a peace deal.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

KitConstantine posted:

We don't call tanks "murder tractors" for a reason.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

alg posted:

Do most American cities have sirens? I grew up with tornado sirens in the Midwest, but I've never heard any sirens where I live in the South now, not even a test.

SF has an air raid siren system from WWII (that was replaced a couple decades ago with new electric sirens that play a lovely recording of the old mechanical sirens lol):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT0iKdqTyx4&t=49s

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

ethanol posted:

Counterpoint I’m 99% sure my neighbor is armed in his tractor daily

Did he pay for the bulletproof cab package? That's extra, but the dealer will probably throw in a hat.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Somebody please post the video of the tractor towing away a apc

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/MarketRebels/status/1498168564272013312

The :tinfoil: part of me wonders if this was all of the RF's lovely friends buying their dips for control; or the fear of such.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

DOOMocrat posted:

https://twitter.com/MarketRebels/status/1498168564272013312

The :tinfoil: part of me wonders if this was all of the RF's lovely friends buying their dips for control; or the fear of such.

I uh bwah how I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

KitConstantine posted:

Did he pay for the bulletproof cab package? That's extra, but the dealer will probably throw in a hat.

If it’s bulletproof then how would he shoot through it