Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

catfry posted:

Hungary might genuinely try to work with Russia for own gain. In the coming weeks look for any offers to act as 'peace brokers'. It is clear to me that what they want is land. Ukraines land, the old subcarpathian Ruthenia.

Hungary somehow always falls between two chairs when picking our allies. Looking at you WWI and WWII.

Anyway, off to the train station to help refugees coming in. I'm told they need people to help explain things and give directions. Both me and my wife speak Russian and English, we will see what we can help with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

Isn't filming POWs to make the identifiable really bad?

This comes up every few dozen pages, thread consensus seems to have been:

It is against the Geneva convention and is not very cool to be doing, but in a fight for your existence it is natural to seek every advantage

There is no use in this thread to ban showing stuff that's already all over twitter, so it's not banned

So yeah it's not good, but nothing about this war is good

Sally Sprodgkin fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 1, 2022

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/FR_Desarmement/status/1498603711177891841

This is what he's going with apparently, plus the usual Nazi lines:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1498609056910561286

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

gay picnic defence posted:

Would there be any tactical advantage in pretending Ukraine isn’t actually getting more planes when actually there are some changing hands? If Russia knew there were 70 new aircraft in the theatre they’d be pretty keen to hunt them all down and wreak them.

Form three new fighter squadrons and number them 1st, 2nd and 4th..... :v:

Russia does have radars and spy satellites and they also may have personnel around NATO bases to keep an eye on sudden movements. I don't think they'd miss the transfer of that many planes.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Nosre posted:

This is what he's going with apparently, plus the usual Nazi lines:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1498609056910561286

Do they mean Russia will "send them some"?

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
That's probably a reference to the invasion of Iraq. Ukraine has been running on majority nuclear power since , what , the 80's?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Do they mean Russia will "send them some"?

No, they said the exact same thing when the invasion started. Can we please stop it with the nuke chat

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

minema posted:

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1498607959793885185?s=20&t=_77uLFdgqsDVnqGuMiPb5w

Is this confirmation that the posts yesterday by Ukrainian MPs regarding flying missions from Poland weren't based on anything real?

Possibly, but my assumption is “no POLISH jets with POLISH pilots” they will still give the Ukrainians jets/tanks/etc if they can.

Really, the Colin Powell line. You would think they would make their lies work better.

GABA ghoul posted:

Yeah, looks like the truth still hasn't reached the Russian boomers yet. Genuine disbelief from this father

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1498564726720286720?t=PxIHLIVqXMTiJqjYBXk5TQ&s=19

This one is just heartbreaking

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1498610617372094467?t=ITfBpdw3vwbQ8oRcKwM7eg&s=19
I suspect this shits gonna hit hard and fast this week with everything going on.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Isn't filming POWs to make the identifiable really bad?

It's illegal under the Geneva convention. I'm not familiar with the original thinking behind the particular article that makes it illegal, but I'm absolutely certain it didn't include the expectation that any person, whether military or civilian, government-affiliated or simply a bystander, would be able to take a picture or movie of a prisoner of war they see and have it made available directly to every other person in the world within minutes.

In most of these particular instances, it is also serving a purpose of letting family find information about loved ones that have been sent into the war when their own government won't tell them anything, or is even outright lying to them. It's the kind of situation where technology and information-use has marched on to the degree that law as-written applies under circumstances it was never imagined to.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

European Parliment session kicked off with official condemnetaion of Russian actions. Standing ovations, Ukrainian flags everywhere, Ukrainian delegation getting applauded by representatives. What a thing to witness.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

FishMcCool posted:

I'm looking forward to Chelsea's remaining Champion's League games.

(that's in 2 weeks time though, so pretty much an eternity considering the situation...)

Abramovich is trying to "hand control" of the club to the supporters' trust. The trust is asking for "urgent clarification" on wtf that actually means: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60549390 A few days ago I read somewhere they explicitly said they didn't want to be party to any end-runs around the sanctions but I can't find that language now. It does look like they're going to try and get a pound of flesh out of it one way or another so that's good.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Sally Sprodgkin posted:

It is against the Geneva convention and is not very cool to be doing, but in a fight for your existence it is natural to seek every advantage

I'll be honest, that's not a good line of reasoning and is certainly not an approach which should be extended to other parts of that convention. Also it gives the opposing party reasons to do similar things. Of course Russia is already bombing hospitals and orphanages, so I guess that's a moot point.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

KitConstantine posted:

Sadly looks like Washington Intel is also saying that there's another wave of Russian soldiers coming. Pretty much what everyone was kind of expecting.

https://twitter.com/Ayei_Eloheichem/status/1498486438924480515?s=20&t=ns01GWFQpWtbOD_XzfYeWw

:ohdear:

They can overrun the country, but Ukraine has 40 million people and is the size of Texas. They'd need to occupy it with 500k men to keep it permanently under control and that isn't going to happen.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Zelenski addressing the European Parliment now via video feed.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

We've covered this, it's bad and against the Genevea convention, but in the scale of war crimes it's in the 'we'll write a polite letter saying Don't Do This now and after the war investigate and suggest the people responsible get an official reprimand on their service records' bracket, which is very different from the 'you seem to have dropped a MRLS barrage on a city block' bracket of war crime.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'll be honest, that's not a good line of reasoning and is certainly not an approach which should be extended to other parts of that convention. Also it gives the opposing party reasons to do similar things. Of course Russia is already bombing hospitals and orphanages, so I guess that's a moot point.

If Russia wants to film POWs phoning home and telling them where they are and why I'm sure Ukraine won't care much.

Morality question aside, I think it might actually be effective. Most of these videos have the family genuinely be baffled why they are phoning from Ukraine and go completely silent when the POW tells them that they have been fighting there. One of these parents might be someone in the position to spread the word. I genuinely believe these people have no idea that their children have been sent to Ukraine to invade it and are cluster bombing residential areas and firing explosives into hospital child wards.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The original idea was more thinking of turn of the century wars, where you'd have thousands of prisoners marching down city streets for civilians to laugh at and pelt with old cabbages. Still shouldn't be doing it.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Jesus the ukrainian interpreter during the Zelensky speech just burst into tears

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Great now I’m crying did not imagine my Tuesday to be like this

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Mokotow posted:

Zelenski addressing the European Parliment now via video feed.

https://www.facebook.com/europeanparliament/videos/665154164820176/

video

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

They can overrun the country, but Ukraine has 40 million people and is the size of Texas. They'd need to occupy it with 500k men to keep it permanently under control and that isn't going to happen.

One would assume that the plan is not to stay here indefinitely, but to do enough damage that they can go to peace talks with realistic demands of lifting sanctions + some of their other demands.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

If Russia wants to film POWs phoning home and telling them where they are and why I'm sure Ukraine won't care much.

Morality question aside, I think it might actually be effective. Most of these videos have the family genuinely be baffled why they are phoning from Ukraine and go completely silent when the POW tells them that they have been fighting there. One of these parents might be someone in the position to spread the word. I genuinely believe these people have no idea that their children have been sent to Ukraine to invade it and are cluster bombing residential areas and firing explosives into hospital child wards.

It would be great if we didn't actually cheerlead violations of the geneva convention, no matter how small we think they are.

Memil_K
Aug 23, 2020

The Ukrainian armed forces are reporting that Belorussian troops have crossed the border. If this is verified, I wonder if Lukashenko has enough troops back home to stop the protests from toppling him?

https://twitter.com/verkhovna_rada/status/1498591541920686082?s=20&t=h5aaxJ7QMmuMJnssOvyISQ

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Hungary somehow always falls between two chairs when picking our allies. Looking at you WWI and WWII.

Anyway, off to the train station to help refugees coming in. I'm told they need people to help explain things and give directions. Both me and my wife speak Russian and English, we will see what we can help with.

Slava gieroyom!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Chairman of Verkhovna Rada now speaking, beaming graphic video directly into the parliment chamber, they had to cut away from him for a bit

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

TheRat posted:

One would assume that the plan is not to stay here indefinitely, but to do enough damage that they can go to peace talks with realistic demands of lifting sanctions + some of their other demands.

I don't think MORE damage would help Russia's case
Demanding to recognize DNR and LNR independence already looks unreasonable if they want sanctions lifted

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Captain Theron posted:

https://i.imgur.com/CPiNEDm.jpeg
Yeah, 'zero casualties' you ghoulish whataboutist tankie gently caress. The fascist Azov only got so influential because of the first Russian invasion in 2014. And their presence in no way makes the bombing of civilians justified.

Video. :nms: for wounded

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1498620417891880968?s=20&t=iJ6RNDnpYpMhmI4uY7p-Ig

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 1, 2022

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

I don't think MORE damage would help Russia's case
Demanding to recognize DNR and LNR independence already looks unreasonable if they want sanctions lifted

I don't really see how the west can refuse lifting of sanctions if we get to a point where Ukraine surrenders and asks for that to happen. We're obviously far away from that happening, but it would surprise me if it wasn't the Russian end goal. There's no other short term way out of the sanctions.

I'm not gonna claim to have any idea of how damage from missiles really work, but I gotta say I'm shocked at how hosed up that building is on the inside when the outer walls look fairly ok. We can see the missile strike on the outside of the building, so the shockwave must have gone through the walls and just bulldozed everything?

TheRat fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 1, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Memil_K posted:

If this is verified, I wonder if Lukashenko has enough troops back home to stop the protests from toppling him?

I guess we're gonna find out!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

TheRat posted:

I don't really see how the west can refuse lifting of sanctions if we get to a point where Ukraine surrenders and asks for that to happen. We're obviously far away from that happening, but it would surprise me if it wasn't the Russian end goal. There's no other short term way out of the sanctions.

Why not? Make Russia a pariah state for the foreseeable future if Putin wants so. Current Ukrainian government and people they armed wont surrender, even Kiev falling will just begin the brutal insurgency.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TheRat posted:

If Ukraine surrenders, there is going to be a regime change, the new regime won't be recognized, and its demands won't be given legitimacy.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

If Ukraine surrenders, there is going to be a regime change, the new regime won't be recognized, and its demands won't be given legitimacy.

And if it gets to a point where the current regime sees no other option but to surrender and sue for peace?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SirTagz posted:

Belarus invading Ukraine. This is straight out of some dystopian sci-fi.

10 years ago this would have sounded as absurd as USA invading Canada

More like Canada invading USA. You have seen Russian army's performance, Belarus army has zero experience of fighting a war in all of its existence and they have even less motivation to sacrifice lives for Russia's interests in the Crimea or Donbas. Belarus has also seen bigger anti-government demonstrations than Russia so we can assume that their conscripts' morale would be too low to rely on. And sending the elite forces to front would expose Minsk to new demonstrations. It doesn't seem very likely, unless Luka wants to save Russian army's honour by presenting us an even bigger farce.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
If they'd kept them at the end of the cold war instead of giving them to Russia in return for worthless "security guarantees", of course, we might not be in this situation at all

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

TheRat posted:

And if it gets to a point where the current regime sees no other option but to surrender and sue for peace?

Not sure what you’re gunning here for. If it’s the will of the recognized government, then it will be what they want.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

TheRat posted:

That would be a different situation.

It's also an extremely unlikely one given Russian rhetoric towards the current government.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Mokotow posted:

Not sure what you’re gunning here for. If it’s the will of the recognized government, then it will be what they want.

I'm 'gunning' for an assumption that that's probably Russia's plan to get out of the worst sanctions.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The current government probably won't want to surrender because they know the Russians will murder them, personally.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

TheRat posted:

I'm 'gunning' for an assumption that that's probably Russia's plan to get out of the worst sanctions.

That would be a tremensoualy idiotic plan, considering the chance of the current Ukrainian government going for this is zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

TheRat posted:

The best plan to get out of the worst sanctions was leaving Ukraine yesterday
The second best plan would be to get the gently caress out now