Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Comstar posted:

Russian General: Somethings wrong with our bloody aircraft today.

My guess: It took this long for the first load of Stingers to be deployed.

They've been using them since the start. There's a reason the Russian airforce has barely been present. If you look at videos from near Hostomel day 1 there were stingers everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

fatherboxx posted:

Zimmerit cosplay?

More like Panther cosplay - good luck fixing the transmission without dissembling the entire tank and taking the turret off!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

fatherboxx posted:

Zimmerit cosplay?

Nah, applique armor for extra protection against AT guns.

Oddly enough I believe that particular use of concrete armor actually did improve the Sherman's survivability against conventional AT rounds, but it was so heavy it increased wear on the suspension and transmission to the point that crews were told in the strongest possible words to knock it off.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 5, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Failed Imagineer posted:

That woman would make an incredible pitcher

probably blue on blue

https://twitter.com/rianru/status/1500098321779728384

war is over, thank god.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Comstar posted:

The only guy on the Ukrainian side who wore the suit, was the traitor.

I was thinking this.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Mr Scumbag posted:

In other news, Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy have joined forces to run interference on Russian Operations in Ukraine airspace.

We want it to be true, therefore it must be true.

Mythology was never a corpse, it is a live beast

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Taking it as intended for domestic consumption, there is absolutely no preparation for a long war. Putin wants peace and he wants it soon.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Nenonen posted:

Germany should send more cucumber jars.

I very much hope, after this is all over, the Ukrainian President makes a Netflix comedy staring him, of all the silliness this war is having. Tanks stolen by farmers. Cucumber jars knocking down drones. The assistant negotiator turns out to be a Russian spy. Russian Naval Ship: Go gently caress yourself. Please do not shoot at the nuclear reactor. Germany sending helmets and 40 year old East German AA missiles that don't work. 40 million dollar AAA trucks stuck with a bad tire in the mud.

War is Horrible, but some of the stories belong in a Spike Milligan autobiography. Vladimir Putin: My Part In His Downfall.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Morrow posted:

Taking it as intended for domestic consumption, there is absolutely no preparation for a long war. Putin wants peace and he wants it soon.

Yes, but all his crony lickspittles keep telling him that any day now they'll have the Ukrainians beat and he responds by telling them to keep up the good work, make sure you take Kyiv before next tuesday.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Comstar posted:

I very much hope, after this is all over, the Ukrainian President makes a Netflix comedy staring him, of all the silliness this war is having. Tanks stolen by farmers. Cucumber jars knocking down drones. The assistant negotiator turns out to be a Russian spy. Russian Naval Ship: Go gently caress yourself. Please do not shoot at the nuclear reactor. Germany sending helmets and 40 year old East German AA missiles that don't work. 40 million dollar AAA trucks stuck with a bad tire in the mud.

War is Horrible, but some of the stories belong in a Spike Milligan autobiography. Vladimir Putin: My Part In His Downfall.

Servant of the People, Season 4.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

gay picnic defence posted:

How do you know how much of this can be believed if he's saying known falsehoods re the conscripts?

I believe there are clear paper trails that it's not actually false.

You see, everyone who participated was bullied or conned into signing contracts.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yes, the Russians has indeed lost a lot of aircraft.

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1500109526581891072

The anti-air pouring into the country started taking effect? And that spectacular drone shot of the helicopter might be because of one of the Finnish drones. It's like youtubers, they're applying more and more tech to get the best shots. What next, a gyro stabilized Javelin shot with the selfie stick masked out?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

evilweasel posted:

Not Russia’s most embarrassing airborne defeat today:

https://twitter.com/tsybulskaliubov/status/1500075457798189057?s=21

If jars of cucumbers are outlawed, only outlaws will have jars of cucumbers

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Comstar posted:

It's like an episode of Yes, Prime Minister that ends with Jim Hacker and Sir Humphrey wading ashore to liberate the Falklands or something.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Cimber posted:

The Russians still are advancing

Only in the south. North and east has seen some pretty stunning reverals in the past two days. If the early reports about the Kharkiv counteroffensive are true (Russian frontline annihilated, stragglers ran back to the border), the Ukrainians are probably going to link back up with Sumy in the next two days. After that, the position of all the forces threatening Kyiv from the east starts to become untenable.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Comstar posted:

More like Panther cosplay - good luck fixing the transmission without dissembling the entire tank and taking the turret off!

:eng101: shermans were designed such that the transmission was easily removable! instead of disassembling the entire tank, you only needed to remove the tracks and unbolt the front, at which point you could pop out the entire transmission assembly. it was easy enough to do at a forward repair depot with a hoist, whereas if a german tank transmission poo poo itself it was, as you say, easier to just abandon the thing then drag it back for repair

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
In practicalities:

https://twitter.com/RobinWigg/status/1500059906568826882

quote:

If an ICBM is heading your way, the size and composition of your portfolio becomes irrelevant. Thus, from a purely financial perspective, you should largely ignore existential risk, even if you do care about it greatly from a personal perspective.

(This is, by the way, a real argument made sometimes as to why the risk of US default is underpriced: a world in which it happens is one in which you are unlikely to be paid anyway.)

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Saladman posted:

I suspect that the Russians assume that Brussels (both EU and NATO) are just doing what Washington tells them. It would be like to them if we sent a delegation to talk to Minsk - a waste of time because Luka doesn’t decide poo poo.

It’s probably also not accurate, certainly not for the EU decision making at least.

Agreed. Putin seems completely unable to understand European politics and culture at the moment. Which is maybe not surprising considering what things were like when he was KGB in Germany, and how his dealings in recent years have been mostly with corrupt politicians. He considers Western Europe American vassals, and Eastern Europe Russian vassals stolen by the Americans.

Interestingly, China seems to have a much better grasp on how to deal with the EU, and I expect Beijing is working overtime and how to adapt to the winds of change now blowing in Europe. If Russia wins in overtime and annexes part or all of Ukraine, NATO will be strengthened and Europe will be tied much more closely with the US. This would be a bad thing for China. If Ukraine repels the invasion without NATO involvement - Europe may distance itself from the US and NATO. Especially if Russia collapses as a regional power. Even more so if European boots end up on the ground (which I think could be the response to Russian going Grozny on Kyiv). This would be a good thing for China.

I would not be surprised to see China start backing the EU as key to resolving this situation, while underlining that they consider the US an intruder in this conflict.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Comstar posted:

quote:

At Kyiv station the RTO gave me a travel warrant, a Javelin missile, and a picture of Putin marked "This is the Enemy". I searched every compartment but he wasn't on the train...

netflix probably won't do the part where he gets crippled by PTSD

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Ola posted:

Putin: Stop exploding, you cowards!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ronya posted:

In practicalities:

(This is, by the way, a real argument made sometimes as to why the risk of US default is underpriced: a world in which it happens is one in which you are unlikely to be paid anyway.)
This is an incredibly stupid article. The US/NATO isn't getting dragged into war.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

ronya posted:

If an ICBM is heading your way, the size and composition of your portfolio becomes irrelevant.

This should be the thread title

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

evilweasel posted:

Well that drone operator is in a pickle!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Comstar posted:

Russian General: Somethings wrong with our bloody aircraft today.

My guess: It took this long for the first load of Stingers to be deployed.

Ukraine didn't get new or better Anti Aircraft in the past two days. My guess is the Russian tactics are getting more desperate.

They have relied on air, especially during that airport assault that led to them losing their top of the line helicopters all over the place, but it's been restrained and it's obvious this was mostly a ground war. This was explained as preserving civilian population centers or fear of advanced Anti Aircraft.

If they are now pulling all of the jets out to start losing a weird amount of them, just now, after everything else that has been happening recently then it would signal the starving/destroyed/abandoned army now needs the air support even if it's extremely risky. They have to use their airforce despite the anti aircraft.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Letmebefrank posted:

This should be the thread title

No Dividends On A Dead Planet

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Dr Mike Martin has Seen Enough

https://twitter.com/ThreshedThought/status/1500120722877947906?t=mHLUrZrRfuzAC9M0y4nurA&s=19

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

evilweasel posted:

The determination of the common people is quite something. I don't see any scenario where Russia could occupy a country filled with these guys.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Ikasuhito posted:

Putin: Stop exploding, you cowards!

*DJ Khaled voice* Anotha one!
https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1500121467358429189?t=7y9mhbg9tW9PaPBzuy--rg&s=19

Guess since by sea didn't work they're trying by air!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
:nws:
:nms:
Photo includes dead Russian solider.

The secret plans of the Russian invasion reveal a big problem of supply

quote:

The press service of the Ukrainian Joint Forces Operation reported the acquisition of enemy secret documents from the battlefield regarding operation plans of the Russian Army. Among them there are work cards, combat mission, call sign table, control signal tables, hidden control tables, staff lists.

This discovery is very important because makes us recreate the Russian strategy of the war with Ukraine. Based on the information received, now we know that the final plans of Russian attack were approved on the 18th of February, six days before the attack, which took place on the first hours of Thursday the 24th.

Moreover, the operation to conquer Ukraine was supposed to be completed within 15 days, originally from the 20th of February till the 6th of March.

This information is particularly relevant, because it explains some of the present difficulties of the Russian military operation. This plans reveal the expectations by the Russian generals to defeat Ukraine in few days. These main big cities close to the Russian-Belarusian border had to be surrounded and conquered in the first 3-4 days of attack:

Kyiv, the political capital, to neutralise the Ukrainian government
Kharkov, the second Ukrainian city, important centre for airspace and aviation industry
Mariupol, the largest port of Azov Sea, necessary to connect Russian territory with Crimea

The achievement of those goals would have lowered the will of resistance by the Ukrainian defenders and confirm the invincibility of the Russian Army.

Unfortunately for the Russian blitzkrieg, after 8 days, these cities are still controlled by the Ukrainian Armed Forces, which showed an unexpected combat efficiency and high determination to resist.

Due to this initial failure, today the Russians face a serious logistic problem. If the length of the offensive was planned for two weeks, the supply reserves of fuel for tanks and vehicles, ammunition and food for soldiers are going to run out in few days.

As a term of comparison, this mistake in planning happened to the German Army in WWII, when they attacked Soviet Union. The got wrong in the estimate of the operation, because they expected to conquer Moscow before the beginning of winter. When they approached the Soviet capital, they were already lacking of fuel and German soldiers had no winter equipment.

Therefore, due to the delay of their military achievements the Russian logistics is today in need of replenishing their stocks. For instance, they already used almost the entire stock of Kalibr missiles allocated for the offensive operation in Ukraine.

As far as the origin of the secret documents is concerned, they belong to one of the units of the battalion tactical group of the 810th brigade of marines of the Black Sea Fleet, based in Sevastopol.

The documents shows that Russian unit’s orders were to disembark in the area of ​​the town of Stepanovka on the Azov Sea, between Crime and Berdyansk and further act with the military units of the Russian 58th Army, namely with the 177th Regiment of Marines of the Black Sea Fleet. The ultimate goal of these forces was the blockade and occupation of Melitopol.

So in other words, the Russian attack will have failed by this time next week, should Ukraine be still standing. And I think they will.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Zelensky's on with the Senate right now.
https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1500120431382175750?t=R_OhQw_gKOEuaFBEzX5etA&s=19
I'm interested to see what gets posted about this later

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why is Rubio trying to turn into a Ukraine meme guy? He thinks that people’s high opinion of Ukraine will rub off on him?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

PederP posted:

Agreed. Putin seems completely unable to understand European politics and culture at the moment. Which is maybe not surprising considering what things were like when he was KGB in Germany, and how his dealings in recent years have been mostly with corrupt politicians. He considers Western Europe American vassals, and Eastern Europe Russian vassals stolen by the Americans.

Interestingly, China seems to have a much better grasp on how to deal with the EU, and I expect Beijing is working overtime and how to adapt to the winds of change now blowing in Europe. If Russia wins in overtime and annexes part or all of Ukraine, NATO will be strengthened and Europe will be tied much more closely with the US. This would be a bad thing for China. If Ukraine repels the invasion without NATO involvement - Europe may distance itself from the US and NATO. Especially if Russia collapses as a regional power. Even more so if European boots end up on the ground (which I think could be the response to Russian going Grozny on Kyiv). This would be a good thing for China.

I would not be surprised to see China start backing the EU as key to resolving this situation, while underlining that they consider the US an intruder in this conflict.

Europe has been for quite awhile drifting away from China. The authoritarianship, Uyghurs and the general lack of reciprocity have been sticking points. China is also a dictatorship looking to reclaim "lost" land. Even if Europe no longer needs NATO, I dont think it will be looking too much towards china economically or for its security concerns.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Ola posted:

The anti-air pouring into the country started taking effect? And that spectacular drone shot of the helicopter might be because of one of the Finnish drones. It's like youtubers, they're applying more and more tech to get the best shots. What next, a gyro stabilized Javelin shot with the selfie stick masked out?

I think it's more that the Russian Air Force were hoping to stay out of it (which makes sense if they expected no serious resistance) but have been forced to get involved due to the losses on the ground from the lack of air support. Of course as Ukraine hasn't immediately capitulated as planned the anti-air capabilities still exist and they are just getting shot our of the sky.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I AM GRANDO posted:

Why is Rubio trying to turn into a Ukraine meme guy? He thinks that people’s high opinion of Ukraine will rub off on him?

He's a chickenhawk wannabe Cold Warrior so I guess it fits and plays well to the unreconstructed Miami gusanos?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What name is Masha a nickname for?

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Comstar posted:

:nws:

Ukranian media agency Strana.ua showed photo of killed Denis Kireev, Ukranian representative on peace talks. Previously it was reported that he was arrested by SBU and accused of treason, but this information is still not confirmed.

Do not click the link if you want to see his dead body (actually it's the 2nd photo, first link goes to one of him at the negotiations).

Note for future movie: The only guy on the Ukrainian side who wore the suit, was the traitor.

That's quite a coincidence given what Russia was saying a week ago about how Ukrainians dressed.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I AM GRANDO posted:

given a lot of potential competitors for the 2024 nominations history of being vaguely or explicitly pro-russia its a definite lane for him.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Failed Imagineer posted:

He's a chickenhawk wannabe Cold Warrior so I guess it fits and plays well to the unreconstructed Miami gusanos?

I mean him lying about his parents fleeing Castro served him well so probably this is his line of thought

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Maria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Pretty sure it's Maria.