Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

how does this affect the russian on the street?

Better have a lot of friends so you have a good hookup for the black market currency exchange system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PerilPastry posted:

I was driving at the point ravenkult said. Apologies if it caused confusion. It truly wasn't my intention.

No problem, I see what you meant now.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Rise of the black market exchange, was pretty common in the soviet block in the olden days.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

They'll be spending more time on the street

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

You mean the Russian on main street, at the pump?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

New thread title please

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

steinrokkan posted:

It makes them even more serfs of the state

It's basically a macro scale version of those Ford factory towns where everyone was paid in their made up currency which could only be spend there, so they could arbitrarily raise the prices since the worker drones had no alternative way to spend their earnings.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mmkay posted:

Rise of the black market exchange, was pretty common in the soviet block in the olden days.

Ironically it's how lots of the modern kleptocrats made their seed fortune in the first place. So everything is coming full circle and they are now on the other side of their old hustle.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fame Douglas posted:

Russians at this local oblast diner.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Alchenar posted:

Someone on this forum is doing a weird charity donation-matching thing where instead of giving money to war refugees they're donating it to Jeffery.

Yeah I don't really understand the thinking, but clearly there's people that get their rocks off doing it. Hopefully my avatar / tag get reversed or erased sooner than later. :ukraine:

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

BigRed0427 posted:

So what is the basis for tankies saying the Ukraine military is filled with Nazis?

The propaganda outlets they were reading were telling them that and they're too dumb and disconnected from reality to know better or contrast it with the other event happening to compare the relative gravity of the issue

Such as a country launching an invasion based on fascist irredentism and using the z as a swastika with the orthodox pope blessing the war because it stops LGBT pride parades etc

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Want to buy anything of import? Get in touch with the local black market. This is going to be like my dad’s childhood, taking a horse to a forest at 3am to pick up some jeans from Poland.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

So what is the basis for tankies saying the Ukraine military is filled with Nazis?

Ukraine isn't run by Nazis, but there do seem to be enough Nazi-affiliated guys in or around the Ukrainian military that friendly media puff pieces and even NATO's twitter account have a weird habit of accidentally posting people with weird Nazi patches when they're trying to praise the Ukrainian military.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's a good thing Nazi-free and decidedly not fascist Russia is bombarding Ukrainian civilians, then.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Basically after 50 years of pretty brutal occupation a lot of Eastern European nations looked to the moment before that occupation began for symbols and leaders of national identity and independence, unfortunately that moment was 1944.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Fame Douglas posted:

Yeah, Joe Vodka, a potato-and-beet man, what's his take on the situation?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

It's a good thing Nazi-free and decidely not fascist Russia is bombarding Ukrainian civilians, then.

That's whataboutism, the question was about Ukraine.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I had dinner with an Armenian friend today. Her dad is, apparently, a long-distance truck driver and he had just delivered a load of Armenian products to Kharkiv on the 21st of February and left on the 22nd... which makes him pretty drat lucky.

However, and relevant to this thread, he has been stuck in a like 30 km long line of lorries near Vladikavkaz (North Ossetia) for more than a week, with no real progress there. So, it looks like the Kyiv convoy isn't the only 30 km traffic jam. At least her dad doesn't have to worry about partisans and military shooting RPGs at him though. She did not know why traffic is stuck, and I couldn't figure out if e.g. Georgia has greatly reduced their border flow with Russia.

She also said most people in Armenia are just repeating the Russian talking points ("getting rid of fascists"), even though Armenians by and large don't like Russia anymore, particularly after the Nagorno-Karabakh war a year and half ago where the Russians did about as much as UN peacekeepers in Srebrenica.

She is also worried that Armenia is hosed if Ukraine wins the war and recovers everything except Crimea, and also hosed if Russia wins the war and partitions Ukraine.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 8, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Want to buy anything of import? Get in touch with the local black market. This is going to be like my dad’s childhood, taking a horse to a forest at 3am to pick up some jeans from Poland.

did the horse at least get a pair of jeans too

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Fame Douglas posted:

It's a good thing Nazi-free and decidely not fascist Russia is bombarding Ukrainian civilians, then.

Nazi-free Russia who not at all has direct ties including funding to neo-nazi groups as per the confusing-and-contradictory-on-purpose political strategy of Putin's right hand man.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

It's a good thing Nazi-free and decidedly not fascist Russia is bombarding Ukrainian civilians, then.

They aren't. All they did was to send in some diplomats and suddenly Ukraine kept shelling their own country. This senseless violence has to stop.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sinteres posted:

Huh? My response was about Ukraine, just following your thinking. Russia taking it on themselves to become the villain of the world to free Ukraine from the yoke of the Nazis, what heroes!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Russian stock market set to remain closed on Wednesday. At this point, all Russian ETFs on the US market have been halted and the options are slated to be settled in cash.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

Huh? My response was about Ukraine, just following your thinking. Russia taking it on themselves to become the villain of the world to free Ukraine from the yoke of the Nazis, what heroes!

I didn't say anything about Russia, so no you're not following my thinking.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The Russian invasion of Ukraine has unironically done more to damage the international far right than anything else in decades.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The_Franz posted:

Russian stock market set to remain closed on Wednesday. At this point, all Russian ETFs on the US market have been halted and the options are slated to be settled in cash.

Question for anyone in the know: is this literally preventing all trading in companies registered on the stock market or is it possible for people (oligarchs) to conduct over-the-counter or private trades to get around this?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Morrow posted:

The Russian invasion of Ukraine has unironically done more to damage the international far right than anything else in decades.

Let's wait and see if they're swept to power in various countries as a result of high energy and grain prices before we go jumping to any conclusions about that.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sinteres posted:

I didn't say anything about Russia, so no you're not following my thinking.

Huh? You were writing about the Ukrainian military being full of Nazis, I was applauding the unilateral action to do something about it.

Seems you're aware you're just vomiting dishonest propaganda into the thread if this is your response, though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I'm really looking forward to seeing video soon of Ukrainian farmers pulling ex-Polish MiGs across the border with their tractors. It'd be the kind of comedy that would make this timeline half-way bearable to think about.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

did the horse at least get a pair of jeans too

The horse would need at least 2 pairs of jeans

Ngl tho, that specific example of market dysfunction is p cool

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

The horse would need at least 2 pairs of jeans

Ngl tho, that specific example of market dysfunction is p cool

no its front legs are its arms and i'm not going to debate this again.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sinteres posted:

Interesting coincidence it's always about Ukraine and only about Ukraine, never about rational uber-führer Putin's or big daddy Kadyrov's anti-homonazi warriors fighting for the future of white women and children :thunk:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

The_Franz posted:

It's kind of weird that they are only announcing the closure of the next day. It will be open any day now.

Alchenar posted:

Question for anyone in the know: is this literally preventing all trading in companies registered on the stock market or is it possible for people (oligarchs) to conduct over-the-counter or private trades to get around this?

I'd figure if one company gives another the physical deeds with a corresponding sales contract, that's still a valid transaction. At least I haven't heard that all transactions have to go through an exchange.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Morrow posted:

Based on what exactly? A few twitter posts identifying the groups in both countries?

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

There is a small number of Neo Nazi soldiers in the Ukrainian military. There's also a small number of Nazis in most western countries militaries as well including Canada, US, and England.

Putin used this as an excuse to invade Ukraine including sending a whole batallion of russian Nazi mercanaries (Wagner group) to kill the Jewish leader of Ukraine who was elected by 75% of the Ukrainian population.

Fortunately the actual Russian Nazi mercanaries got blown up almost immediately when they were air dropped onto an airfield with no support on the first day of the war.

Now people continue to bring it up because they are Russian shills "just asking questions" or posting straight up Russian propaganda.

None of this matters because the number of Ukrainian Nazis is insignificant in a country of 44 million people and they are also fighting against a fascist invasion by Russia so they have more pressing matters to attend to.

Everyone in this thread knows Nazis are wrong.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Sinteres posted:

Let's wait and see if they're swept to power in various countries as a result of high energy and grain prices before we go jumping to any conclusions about that.

There's direct evidence that Russia has been promoting and funding far right and the alt right and has for over a decade now, and one of their main pmcs literally is a neo Nazi with close ties to Putin. Your desire to make it seem like Ukraine is nothing but hidden nazis that Russia has the right to invade is disgusting

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Sinteres posted:

When you are supposed to be the de nazifying force the numbers of nazis on your side is not a whataboutism

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Starks posted:

Based on what exactly? A few twitter posts identifying the groups in both countries?

Based on isolating global far right from their Russian patron.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Interesting coincidence it's always about Ukraine and only about Ukraine, never about rational uber-führer Putin's or big daddy Kadyrov's anti-homonazi warriors fighting for the future of white women and children :thunk:

Ukraine is the only party to the conflict my country is arming, so I think who's getting those weapons, and who's getting repeatedly pictured in propaganda puff pieces, is an interesting question worth answering without any need to discuss Russia's own problems with bigotry, which are real. If you'd like to explore the latter issue, by all means do so, but doing so only to deflect from the former issue is still whataboutism.

Despera posted:

When you are supposed to be the de nazifying force the numbers of nazis on your side is not a whataboutism

I'm not Russian and I don't support Russia, I was just answering a question about Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The_Franz posted:

What does that mean? Sorry, finance=magic.