Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Thoguh posted:

Posting this mostly just because of the illustration

https://twitter.com/kashprime/status/1501576459873304580?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
Today was weird

Got a lot of chores done, did a lot of gardening, was attacked by dogs and killed one, made a curried lentil dish, weird day

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

derra posted:

They will lie to you to visit. If nothing happens, that will justify their actions. If your family gets sick, how could they have known?

Protect your family. Assume they're positive.

:hmmyes:

facetoucher cat posted:

Today was weird

Got a lot of chores done, did a lot of gardening, was attacked by dogs and killed one, made a curried lentil dish, weird day

uhhhhhh you OK ftc??

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Thoguh posted:

The republicans want you dead, the democrats don’t care. All the actions of both parties right now pretty much align with that. Pelosi, Schumer, Biden, et al simply would prefer to never think about COVID ever again and would appreciate if you did the same.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Dren posted:

Do we have any info about fourth shots helping anything? If so I may attempt to bully my doctor into prescribing one.

A fourth shot likely just "resets the clock" and gives you another few months of neutralizing antibody concentrations that have some chance of protecting against symptomatic infection, and presumably PASC. But this is only maaaybe best case ~70% effectiveness post booster, declining to ~50% or lower after 3-4 months.

IMO it's worth maximizing titres by 6 months at the latest after the 3rd shot because you want every advantage now that COVID is over and masks are off. However should be clear antibody protection at this point is only marginal and shouldn't be used to justify additional exposure. US health authorities are suggesting 4th shots in the coming fall because that's when protection against severe disease is expected to start declining significantly, and they aren't concerned with preventing symptomatic infection or PASC in the non-rich.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

for the record I genuinely hope he recovers

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

mdemone posted:

it's truly astonishing. at the geological moment of humanity's destruction of the animal kingdom in service to a phantom, the unalive material of life itself rises up to destroy us.

really quite something. Dante would have greatly approved

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

lol

Jingoro
May 13, 2003
Yarrrrr...beware the chicken waters, matey...

facetoucher cat posted:

Today was weird

I hope you're ok. Also, username/post combo.

Cloks posted:

hey am i going insane or is the current political leadership doing everything they can to make covid worse

/engage :tinfoil: this is the climate change plan. /disengage :tinfoil:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Cloks posted:

hey am i going insane or is the current political leadership doing everything they can to make covid worse

You are not. Good news is they're also playing chicken with a nuclear-armed power, so you can stop worrying about the plague for a while, possibly forever. :)

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cloks posted:

Social Security and Medicare have saved $280 billion so far because of all the dead seniors

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I've beaten elden ring now so I'm ready for the andromeda variant or a nuclear-mutated FEVid to escape from biolabs whenever you're ready, allah. let's get this poo poo started

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

facetoucher cat posted:

Today was weird

Were there 30-50 feral dogs

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cloks posted:

Have been the whole time. We've rolled into each wave with fewer restrictions and by telling more people that they don't need to care and shouldn't care. We're doing everything we can to ensure that vaccines won't save us.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wrex Ruckus posted:

for the record I genuinely hope he recovers

he knew the awful price of spider-man. buy the ticket, take the ride

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

facetoucher cat posted:

Today was weird

:sickos:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

psh

mystes
May 31, 2006

Phigs posted:

Time to get into intermittent fasting and quit coffee!

Not even really joking. It is actually a really good solution and you get used to it much more than you'd think if you've never done it. But I know it's not something everyone wants to do. Still, it's an option.
Intermittent fasting has been pretty thoroughly shown not to do anything at this point.

I guess alternate day fasting might still do something.

hey it's a nice umbrella while it lasts

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Cloks posted:

I mean that's what we've been doing since about a year ago. Having a 'strategy' that relies on non-sterilizing vaccines only with no other meaningful NPIs is frankly worse than nothing in my opinion. All we have done is provide COVID with a fun gauntlet to run so it can more effectively develop immunity escape.

We are Cell and we have just granted COVID unlimited access to the hyperbolic time chamber.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

facetoucher cat posted:

Today was weird

:catstare:

. . . attacked by dogs in Elden Ring, right?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I am extremely jealous of Battlestar Galactica respirator helmet

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bob Socko posted:

:catstare:

. . . attacked by dogs in Elden Ring, right?

Dogs are real life monsters, I've been proclaiming it for years, and no one listens

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Dogs are real life monsters, I've been proclaiming it for years, and no one listens
Woof!!!! real monsters

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

:hmmyes:

uhhhhhh you OK ftc??

Yeah I'm good. It happened so fast. Was in my yard playing with plants and these 2 dogs got into my yard. Tried to scare them off by screaming and tossing sticks. One charged me but I dodged it an kicked it what seemed like 20 feet and it ran out of the yard and it's buddy looked like it was going to leave too but I don't trust anything so I grabbed a broken brick and the second one came at me so I hit it in the head with everything I had. That stopped it

Animal control was like, "why didn't you shoot em"

Yes, officer, I'm strapped to the teeth in my own back yard while feeding birds. Totally normal brain there

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

GXL posted:

The lady at Costco asked if I wanted to take off my mask for the card photo and I said "no"

For reference:

lmao :perfect:

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

facetoucher cat posted:

Yeah I'm good. It happened so fast. Was in my yard playing with plants and these 2 dogs got into my yard. Tried to scare them off by screaming and tossing sticks. One charged me but I dodged it an kicked it what seemed like 20 feet and it ran out of the yard and it's buddy looked like it was going to leave too but I don't trust anything so I grabbed a broken brick and the second one came at me so I hit it in the head with everything I had. That stopped it

Yes, officer, I'm strapped to the teeth in my own back yard while feeding birds. Totally normal brain there

holy poo poo

mystes
May 31, 2006

GXL posted:

The lady at Costco asked if I wanted to take off my mask for the card photo and I said "no"

This makes me think of StarCraft for some reason

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

facetoucher cat posted:

Sorry you were put in that position, glad you're ok.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

facetoucher cat posted:

:stare:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

facetoucher cat posted:

chapter 1 of your cli-fi novel going great i can see

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
See people, dogs are in fact bad!

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Sitting here in an indoor white-collar office full of unmasked chuds during a global airborne disease outbreak being forced to do some safety department LMS video course on bloodborne pathogens for OSHA. Lmfao
lol
my workplace has some all staff in person indoor CPR/defib training coming up
i will not be attending

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ikanreed posted:

I've got a few ideas about how they could do slightly worse but I'm afraid of speaking them into existence.

they’re culling the poor instead of doing anything about climate change, op

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

facetoucher cat posted:

:doggo:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

facetoucher cat posted:

:trumppop: holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Chamale posted:

Social Security and Medicare have saved $280 billion so far because of all the dead seniors

I saw a story about how much Biden has reduced the deficit and now I wonder.

From a stone cold numbers perspective, culling the over 60s is a positive thing for the American Empire. Consumer spending going down because you cavers are making normals scared with your masks is a negative. That's all you need to know to understand the government response. All the olds dying doesn't hurt the system. Kids getting disabled hurts the system in the future, and we don't do long term planning. What causes problems here and now is reduced spending hurting the economy, parents being less productive because someone's got to watch the kids if schools are closed, and WFH hurting commercial real estate.

The purpose of our society, the way we have created our civilization, is to maximize our productivity in order to concentrate wealth upwards. Everything else is in service to that. The purpose of Healthcare is not to relieve suffering, it is to repair broken workers. The police are not here to create justice but to preserve private property. The fast food industry exists not to cater to a big aspect of human nature and culture, eating and sharing meals, but to get nutrients into the workers as quickly as possible as no one has time to cook. There are dozens of other examples.

We live in a society. The purpose of that society is not to preserve human life or dignity, or provide for our needs, but to make the economic number go up. If it ever does help people, that's a means to the ends of making number go up. (In the short term. Remember that long or even medium term planning isn't possible. )

Looked at from that perspective, the government response is rational. You people insisting that everything isn't normal hunky dorry are a bigger threat than covid (until we get the mutation that kills enough workers to shut down the system, or until a generation has passed and the kids getting crippled right now enter the workforce). Until then you are the threat to stability, and you will be spit on for wearing a mask.

If this doesn't make sense then blame it on long covid brain damage.