Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

soscannonballs posted:

Is it even possible to get a legit 4th shot? I got my original 2 almost a year ago, bandited a third in September on a different card, and then got my real booster in December. I haven't really kept up with the thread as much but I know the boosters were looking like they weren't as effective against omicron. Is delta still pretty active in the US or did omicron take over?

I have a vague memory of old getting a 4th in Israel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Like, just pull up a graph of countries that have a higher vaxx rate than the US and compare that to a graph of current cases and it's super obvious that vaxxes alone don't solve the pandemic, most of those high vaxx countries currently have significantly higher infection rates than the US

It's not even that difficult to grasp. The vaccine is an imperfect line of defense, so if we only rely on that, Covid has the breathing room to evolve around it, so any functional legitimate government would be abandoning its basic responsibility of protecting its people by relying on vaccines alone.

I personally don't know how to not be livid about this outside of distracting myself or posting about it. This is a gun pointed at me, and the cops/soldiers/whatever have the ability to intervene, but instead they give me a wooden plank and say, "Good luck. It might miss, and it probably won't kill you."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bobtheconqueror posted:

It's not even that difficult to grasp. The vaccine is an imperfect line of defense, so if we only rely on that, Covid has the breathing room to evolve around it, so any functional legitimate government would be abandoning its basic responsibility of protecting its people by relying on vaccines alone.

I personally don't know how to not be livid about this outside of distracting myself or posting about it. This is a gun pointed at me, and the cops/soldiers/whatever have the ability to intervene, but instead they give me a wooden plank and say, "Good luck. It might miss, and it probably won't kill you."

Yeah most recent data shows that for Omicron even with a booster the protection starts to rapidly wane after around 3-4 months.

Being fully vaccinated which the metric CDC uses is even less effective since 2 doses doesn't stop Omicron infections.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

soscannonballs posted:

Is it even possible to get a legit 4th shot? I got my original 2 almost a year ago, bandited a third in September on a different card, and then got my real booster in December. I haven't really kept up with the thread as much but I know the boosters were looking like they weren't as effective against omicron. Is delta still pretty active in the US or did omicron take over?

FDA draws a distinction between an “additional dose”, available to immunocompromised persons starting twenty-eight days after completion of the primary series, and a “booster”, which is available to adults five months (two for J&J recipients) after their last shot.

Persons who got an “additional dose” in August are now eligible for “boosters”.

Omicron has nearly total dominance in the United States. Vaccine efficacy is lower against Omicron, but to some extent that can be countered by a booster and particularly a recent booster.

e: For completeness, there are three other routes to legitimate fourth shots: clinical trials, foreign vaccines unrecognized by American authorities, and a doctor’s prescription, now that the mRNA vaccines are fully FDA approved and may be prescribed off-label.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 13, 2022

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

hot witch divorcee posted:

the funny part is that there is a new variant, or sub-variant at least, but a bunch of qcs posters want to prove that no it is the covid thread that is wrong and the somewhat imbalanced events that have happened surrounding people are uniquely bad for goons (they're not) and the fault of the thread existing and not people who realize they are being gaslit by open bideners as some of us try to fend off threats to the lives of ourselves and people we love trying to deal with that or whatever so here we are

one of the things i learned that i hope can be helpful to some of people who don't usually pay attention to this thread but are right now is that as much as it is so hilarious that people are wearing funny respirators that make funny pictures for you to pass around in your ironically dismissive clique discords, those things are way more comfortable and lack the mask musk and uncomfortable dampness from wearing a cloth or disposable mask all day. there's also options like the envos that don't look as weird and are more comfortable for day to day use, but can still get a little musky, way less so than a cloth/disposable though. so if the thing that is putting you off about getting a respirator or a durable mask like an envo is you think it is worse than a cloth mask as far as discomfort and bother so you try to put off the knowledge that its something you really should look at but resort to detached irony and mockery to avoid dealing with it much like many other things in your life, its actually more comfortable than whatever you've been using and you probably shouldn't be afraid of it.

Oh, word?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

etalian posted:

Yeah most recent data shows that for Omicron even with a booster the protection starts to rapidly wane after around 3-4 months.

Being fully vaccinated which the metric CDC uses is even less effective since 2 doses doesn't stop Omicron infections.

The CDC and US public health messaging recently shifted from infection protection to prevention of severe disease, largely in response to the Omicron variant making breakthrough infections commonplace. By the govt's current standards the original boosters probably weren't necessary, as the original 2 doses were still largely effective in preventing severe disease last fall. In this respect the booster approval now appears to be an anomalous attempt to prevent symptomatic infection and unlikely to be repeated. When Fauci says that the CDC+FDA is considering a fourth shot this coming fall he means it, despite most people losing antibody protection well before then.

Unrelated, this caught my eye in the most recent CDC morbidity report:

quote:

Effectiveness of 2-Dose BNT162b2 (Pfizer BioNTech) mRNA Vaccine in Preventing SARS-CoV-2 Infection Among Children Aged 5–11 Years and Adolescents Aged 12–15 Years — PROTECT Cohort, July 2021–February 2022
Early Release / March 11, 2022 / 71

Summary
What is already known about this topic?

Receipt of 2 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine has been shown to be effective in preventing infection with the SARS-CoV-2 B.1.617.2 (Delta) variant in persons aged ≥12 years.

What is added by this report?

Children and adolescents aged 5–15 years were tested for SARS-CoV-2 weekly, irrespective of symptoms, during July 2021–February 2022. Approximately one half of Omicron infections in unvaccinated children and adolescents were asymptomatic. Two doses of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine reduced the risk of Omicron infection by 31% among children aged 5–11 years and by 59% among persons aged 12–15 years.

I knew asymptomatic cases were common in children, but didn't think it was ~50%.

edit: the impact of the lower dose for the under 12 vaccines is obvious there as well, good job Pfizer.

Jingoro
May 13, 2003
Yarrrrr...beware the chicken waters, matey...

pigz posted:

Unfortunately Plinkeys posting about how doomer this thread is qualifies as the typical signal that another large wave is immenent. Everytime we get a double digit derail about doomerism cases start rising precipitously a few weeks to a month later.

Shere posted:

honestly it fell off around then and you're largely better off not bothering unless you like reading forums full of pedantic joyless aging & balding concern trolls cannibalizing each other and driving away anyone who isnt posting beyond 27 layers of "irony"

CODChimera posted:

see this is the problem with this thread. you read it and start freaking out

also r/coronavirus is so dead lmao, there are stories on the front page with 0-20 comments

I was already freaking out well before discovering this thread. If anything it was relieving to find it as an alternative to astroturfed bot farms like /r/coronavirus. It's no surprise that subreddit is dead, and it will be no surprise when another wave hits and it's busy again churning out Open Mild Biden Season style articles once more that immediately shoot up with thousands of totally legitimate upvotes. Every other online discussion area that isn't some niche forum is just a wasteland of algorithms and consent manufacturing. It's like those loving South Park episodes where the ads start assuming human form.

That's also why this recent thread making GBS threads was pretty disappointing. Guess I'm not used to it. I hadn't read these forums for like 10 years before I found this thread. Seems to be a fragile discourse here, and I also think we should discuss backup options if the poo poo stirring concern trolls manage to do it in. Maybe this is part of the natural thread lifecycle here, I don't know.

Ragnarok the Red posted:

This, seriously, I mean:

What is the point of issuing an ultimatum if you aren't going to enforce it to get the thread back on topic? I think this is the first time in all the years :corsair: I've posted on SA that I've seen a "Drop it OR ELSE!" mod post like this get straight up ignored without being followed by a string of 6 hour probations.

I mostly lurk here but this thread has provided me and my friends and family tons of useful information and I'd rather not see it :gas:ed.

:emptyquote:

Jingoro fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 13, 2022

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

gently caress off plague rats

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Jingoro posted:

I was already freaking out well before discovering this thread. If anything it was relieving to find it as an alternative to astroturfed bot farms like /r/coronavirus. It's no surprise that subreddit is dead, and it will be no surprise when another wave hits and it's busy again churning out Open Mild Biden Season style articles once more that immediately shoot up with thousands of totally legitimate upvotes. Every other online discussion area that isn't some niche forum is just a wasteland of algorithms and consent manufacturing. It's like those loving South Park episodes where the ads start assuming human form.

That's also why this recently thread making GBS threads was pretty disappointing. Guess I'm not used to it. I hadn't read these forums for like 10 years before I found this thread. Seems to be a fragile discourse here, and I also think we should discuss backup options if the poo poo stirring concern trolls manage to do it in. Maybe this is part of the natural thread lifecycle here, I don't know.

:emptyquote:

don't worry, the thread gets shat between variants like every time but it always bounces back

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

wow, so all of that really went on overnight, did it?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

my cat helena

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

inferis posted:

my cat helena

Good night, good catte

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Frankly it is really hosed up that another thread deliberately came in to this one to be a bunch of shitpickles and mods did absolutely nothing to stop the brigading at any point. Like it's super not difficult to figure out who came in here intentionally to antagonize and stayed to continue and antagonize about an unfortunate off topic incident.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

gently caress off plague rats

Think you’re confused mate.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Asproigerosis posted:

Frankly it is really hosed up that another thread deliberately came in to this one to be a bunch of shitpickles and mods did absolutely nothing to stop the brigading at any point. Like it's super not difficult to figure out who came in here intentionally to antagonize and stayed to continue and antagonize about an unfortunate off topic incident.

I think you should get over it

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Covid is so over that we're going to brigade the covid thread and get it shutdown with unfunny nonstop shitposting :smug:

all the mods have to do is let it happen

Anyways, exciting times because definitely another wave coming right at us. personally, my money is that there will be a response to it, after which we will quickly forget about NPI's and then let another wave hit us. Rinse and repeat forever

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 13, 2022

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
a few people aerosolize some antagonistic posts and a bunch of thread regulars just breathe it in

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
So the wider consensus model on COVID-19 is (12-18 months late to the party) getting around to COVID-19 infiltrating the brain and causing brain damage. But the cope is “vaccines probably reduce the damage” and “maybe the brains will heal”.

Following on from this, the Omicron variant rocked in, very fast spreading, therefore very fast replicating? But it tended to go down less into the lungs, so less choking to death on your own fluids hence more “mild”.

Has anyone checked was it similarly reticent about heading into peoples brains or are we about to notice the brain damage being a lot more common as a result?
Is this going to be one of those things where the variant that infiltrates peoples brains, makes them dumber/slower so more likely to pass on the virus has a competitive advantage?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

this is derrick

inferis fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 13, 2022

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Anyways, exciting times because definitely another wave coming right at us. personally, my money is that there will be a response to it, after which we will quickly forget about NPI's and then let another wave hit us. Rinse and repeat forever

free testing ends next month so good luck

Jingoro
May 13, 2003

Asproigerosis posted:

Seriously. And I'm upset too because I had so many bad dog puns still ready to go but I restrained myself because it was getting out of hand and derailing the thread. So you know, watching a bunch of other people come in afterwards and just throw a 20+ page grenade of puerile poo poo over that same topic while I was out doing things in the world like the horribly pale reclusive cave doomer I am is frustrating.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Joementum posted:

free testing ends next month so good luck

I'm just trying to imagine the dumbest possible future which lately seems to be the best way to get a grip on where things are headed. Maybe you're right it's going to be something more like everyone is getting sick and disabled but positive numbers remain low because no one is getting tested or reporting self-tests and everything just gets shittier forever.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
for those wondering about 4th shots; i have an autoimmune condition so have had 4. had my “additional” shot in august.

ive had covid 3 times now.

first was quick,loss of taste/smell

i got covid in december, wasnt too bad, but fever this time, chils, no smell for a week, recovered.

got it again in mid january (so back to back over 50 days) almost got hospitalized. i still cant smell or taste anything, and couldnt sleep due to anxiety spells nightly (i never had anxiety before)

i got my 4th shot after the 3rd infection a month+ ago. hopefully i live, but im really guessing covid wrecks your immune response to it based on whats happening to me.

one kid too young to be vaccinated. he brought it home once. wifes in medicine, she brought it twice.

goodluck respirator crew, i figure i got one or two more rounds left before im dead.

edit: 4th shot had like 0 side effects from a sore arm, others all worse.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

bad boys for life posted:

for those wondering about 4th shots; i have an autoimmune condition so have had 4. had my “additional” shot in august.

i got covid in december, wasnt too bad, but fever this time, chils, no smell for a week, recovered.

got it again in mid january (so back to back over 50 days) almost got hospitalized. i still cant smell or taste anything, and couldnt sleep due to anxiety spells nightly (i never had anxiety before)

i got my 4th shot after the 3rd infection a month+ ago. hopefully i live, but im really guessing covid wrecks your immune response to it based on whats happening to me.

one kid too young to be vaccinated. he brought it home once. wifes in medicine, she brought it twice.

goodluck respirator crew, i figure i got one or two more rounds left before im dead.

holy poo poo dude

Jingoro
May 13, 2003

HidaO-Win posted:

So the wider consensus model on COVID-19 is (12-18 months late to the party) getting around to COVID-19 infiltrating the brain and causing brain damage. But the cope is “vaccines probably reduce the damage” and “maybe the brains will heal”.

Following on from this, the Omicron variant rocked in, very fast spreading, therefore very fast replicating? But it tended to go down less into the lungs, so less choking to death on your own fluids hence more “mild”.

Has anyone checked was it similarly reticent about heading into peoples brains or are we about to notice the brain damage being a lot more common as a result?
Is this going to be one of those things where the variant that infiltrates peoples brains, makes them dumber/slower so more likely to pass on the virus has a competitive advantage?

The infiltrating part isn't necessarily cut and dry. It's possible that Covid just causes some autoimmune bullshit to eat people's brains, because the body can totally do that to itself under certain conditions. Result is mostly the same. Or maybe a little of column A and B.
I think the main problem is that most of these studies are still getting their data from pre-vaccine or immediately post-vaccine when it was still pretty effective, and the danger with Omicron is that if it bypasses the antibodies that may be allowing it to drive the rest of the immune system more berserk, and so see point #1. And if it is persistent, that might make it more likely to spread to those hard to reach tissues before the vaccinated immune system can stomp on it.

Feste
Apr 7, 2009

Are people who got a 4th shot in December making plans for a 5th shot before the upcoming US wave?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Cheesus posted:

It was an argument my wife brought up tonight in response to my concerns over our district going mask optional on Monday.

Would not even let me get out my opinion that this "open it all up" is going to fast and that I would like our son to continue making for the next two weeks of the month. Not the end of the year, just the next two weeks to see how things go. To say nothing about bulldozing me with her "evidence" of believees from talking to other parents and not letting me get a word in with any other fact based evidence.

She actually pulled a loving "masks suck and if you think he should keep wearing one, you should wear one here at home too"

I'm in bed early and seething over how I'm being treated.

This got lost but just wanted to say people are being put in a terrible situation right now and it's hard to determine the correct course. The CDC itself is saying masks are unnecessary and ultimately people have to trust public health authorities because they can't be expected to be on top of everything themselves. Also when all your peers and the actual CDC are presenting the same message it's hard not to go along with it. Not trying to give advice one way or another here as I'm fairly clueless generally, but just trying to motivate how even normal well-intentioned people can honestly arrive at the "masks suck" position and how that can be hard to argue against in the current context. Public health authorities downplaying the significance of COVID for bad reasons is the root problem.

edit:

This is terrible, I'm sorry.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 13, 2022

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

T-Paine posted:

this thread existing causes the same brain malfunctions as masks existing, reminding people that they should be more afraid is never popular

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Feste posted:

Are people who got a 4th shot in December making plans for a 5th shot before the upcoming US wave?

i am currently panicked over ba2.2 and hoping between delta and what was likely ba1 im ok til fall waves when i can get #5 over summer - even if i have to pull vaccine tourism or other bs.

really hoping this covid is over bullshit doesnt affect guidance for more shots for people like me.

glad everyone else is fine, my options now are:

1) abandon my family and isolate
2) roll the dice so my family and i can have a semi normal life til covid snipes me

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

inferis posted:

this is derrick

same, Derrick, same

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Feste posted:

I’m sticking with 4 months so Jan—>May

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
i would give up on the dialectical approach with your partner if it's just turning into a heated fight every time. Not only are you not making headway towards any sort of behavior change but it sounds like both of your evenings are ruined every night. Be tactical and maybe bring up the mask-wearing when it's most salient like if there's an outbreak in the family or at school then you can ratchet things up from there

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

mask guidelines are off for my school district as of next week. happy to see my students' smiling faces, not that I could get them to wear them much anyway! lol

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

grieving for Gandalf posted:

mask guidelines are off for my school district as of next week. happy to see my students' smiling faces, not that I could get them to wear them much anyway! lol

"if it feels good, do it!"

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
yeah the vaccine pretty much just doesn't work for immunocompromised people so there are some ethical issues with just shrugging and saying just get vaccinated and live your bliss.

Feste
Apr 7, 2009

i am currently panicked over ba2.2 and hoping between delta and what was likely ba1 im ok til fall waves when i can get #5 over summer - even if i have to pull vaccine tourism or other bs.

really hoping this covid is over bullshit doesnt affect guidance for more shots for people like me.

glad everyone else is fine, my options now are:

1) abandon my family and isolate
2) roll the dice so my family and i can have a semi normal life til covid snipes me

Can I ask why you would need to pull vaccine tourism?

edit: Alternatively is Max Titering no longer on the table?

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Stop being so hysterical. It's costing Democrats votes and other threads find it cringe.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Can someone give me a list of which goons to add to my ignore list over this weird democrat(?) invasion or whatever it was

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Just train them over to the Ukraine thread instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Be tactical and maybe bring up the mask-wearing when it's most salient like if there's an outbreak in the family or at school then you can ratchet things up from there

This has been happening over and over throughout the pandemic, goons having to wait it out and hope their family manages to dodge infection until conditions got to the point where (for example) schools had to close down and then they could keep their kids home without getting sent to truancy court, or the CDC updated guidelines so they could WFH, etc etc

It always reminds me of that old saying "You don't have to be able to outrun a bear to survive a bear attack, you just have to be able to outrun at least one other person in your camping party" except the bears are invisible and coming at you from all angles