Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

serefin99 posted:

So... is there a more up to date guide on how to kill Death, or am I just doing something wrong? The past few times I've tried, I've been unable to kill him before more start spawning in, which is fine until they start pushing each other through the bookcases...

I found the first one died around the time the third or fourth started pushing in

I absolutely required the rebirth and tiramasu passives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hwurmp posted:

Nesuferit just pushed through your knockback & killed you

njsykora posted:

How dare you imply I wasn't still paying attention and had left the desk to go make a cup of tea and yes that's exactly what happened.
This is why I take laurel. It's adhd insurance.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Turns out the new map drops a ton of gold, if you can survive until minute 22

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Wait, the new map is supposed to be actually adversarial? I played it for like ten minutes, but it was so placid that I figured it's supposed to be just a pure farming map and I quit out early.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah none of the plants will ever actually move, it's just a raw damage check at all points. If you get Song of Mana and rank it up you could just stick the up key down and come back to a 30m run.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

njsykora posted:

Yeah none of the plants will ever actually move, it's just a raw damage check at all points. If you get Song of Mana and rank it up you could just stick the up key down and come back to a 30m run.

Not quite.
The map regularly ends et 15 minutes with all mobs being wiped out and death spawning and then an extra Death every minute after that (and dying after that counts as a win).
But unlike the other maps, you also get spawns of pots that drop coins as well after the Deaths start spawning. If you can last until minute 21, you'll collect a few thousand gold just from that.
Then at minute 21, you get one minute where the whole screen is filled with those pots and you just collect as much gold as you can (I probably could have gotten even more with the move speed item instead of Tiragisu).
After that minute is over, everything but the Deaths disappear, no idea if anything else happens after that

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

serefin99 posted:

So... is there a more up to date guide on how to kill Death, or am I just doing something wrong? The past few times I've tried, I've been unable to kill him before more start spawning in, which is fine until they start pushing each other through the bookcases...

Are you definitely staying at level 2? I had a couple of attempts ruined by some stray gems that took me to level 3

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Snackmar posted:

Are you definitely staying at level 2? I had a couple of attempts ruined by some stray gems that took me to level 3

Definitely, I even took off all my growth and magnet upgrades just to make sure I didn't accidentally level up again. I guess I'll just have to keep plinking away at it.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I ended up cheating to kill death just because it's extremely finnicky/annoying to set it up just right and have RNG ruin it.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I killed death yesterday after weeks of trying. The hard part was not forgetting the game was running for 30 minutes and the red stone spawning far away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmaMFbG3ZTU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I just remember a question I've been meaning to ask.

I know the white damage numbers are the default, and yellow numbers mean a critical hit, but what do the red damage numbers mean?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

serefin99 posted:

I just remember a question I've been meaning to ask.

I know the white damage numbers are the default, and yellow numbers mean a critical hit, but what do the red damage numbers mean?

I don't think crits are a thing in this game. I always thought the color of the damage numbers was just an indicator of numeric range; white for single digits into the 30s or 40s, red from there through 99, yellow for anything 100+.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I thought it was the added damage all together but I could be wrong. I turned them off a long time ago because I couldn't see poo poo......it slightly helps.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The upgraded cross can crit, dunno if anything else does through.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Avalerion posted:

The upgraded cross can crit, dunno if anything else does through.

Evolved whip can, as well.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

My hypothesis is that physical* weapons can crit. Is there any basis to that?

*Don't ask me a strict definition

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
It's something that gets added to evolved whip/cross. If it was all physical it should be on knife too, I'd think.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
This is like... the same game as Magic Survival. Is it the same developer? Seems kind of lovely to rip off another game directly and make bank off it, with no attribution whatsoever, if not.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

There was a patch note when the game started getting more popular where that game was mentioned by name.

It's also mentioned in the Vice article: https://www.vice.com/en/article/z3nyze/how-vampire-survivors-went-from-obscurity-to-27000-people-playing-at-once

Edit: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1794680/view/4696693354310370366
"The mobile version of the game launched as a test in a couple of regions in May 2021, and it ran terribly, so development switched back to PC. We're running a parallel project to move the game to an engine that will allow for a good mobile version.
While waiting for the new mobile version, I suggest to try Magic Survival on Android, the game that inspired the original prototype of Vampire Survivors and that was also made by a solo dev."

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 17, 2022

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

WarEternal posted:

This is like... the same game as Magic Survival. Is it the same developer? Seems kind of lovely to rip off another game directly and make bank off it, with no attribution whatsoever, if not.

IIRC, The dev promoted magic survival in some update and/or some interview. I don't recall where I read it, but I do recall some recognition.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

WarEternal posted:

*looks up magic survival* where are the gems man

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Splicer posted:

*looks up magic survival* where are the gems man

There's... literally little blue orbs you pick up for exp?

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
I highly recommend Magic Survival for anyone who enjoys Vampire Survivors. The gameplay loop is more satisfying as you can compete for as long as you can stay alive vs being killed by Death at the 30min mark.

I built out the fandom wiki back when fusions were still a thing, but the Dev redid the entire system and now it's a wild-west as far as discovering new things goes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

WarEternal posted:

There's... literally little blue orbs you pick up for exp?
I'm going off videos here but the blue bar at the top is the XP bar yes? If so it seems to be mainly passive or gained from killing monsters directly. That all my XP sits on the ground until I go get it (or XP fountain it into me with an orb) is what for me differentiates VS from, say, Crimsonland. It's very satisfying.

You also seem to be taking my reply as a sincere and comprehensive rebuttal of all your points when it's mainly a sincere and comprehensive expression of my love for gems.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Splicer posted:

I'm going off videos here but the blue bar at the top is the XP bar yes? If so it seems to be mainly passive or gained from killing monsters directly. That all my XP sits on the ground until I go get it (or XP fountain it into me with an orb) is what for me differentiates VS from, say, Crimsonland. It's very satisfying.

You also seem to be taking my reply as a sincere and comprehensive rebuttal of all your points when it's mainly a sincere and comprehensive expression of my love for gems.

There are little blue orbs littered around the map that give you exp, and yellow ones, and pink ones. Yes, you get exp from killing things but there are also gem equivalents to pick up everywhere.

Sorry, I didn't really have a point except to say that it seems to be very similar. To my mind, they kind of owe more than just an "inspired by".

It's not like say... Slay the Spire:Monster Train, much of the gameplay and even the progression is very similar to Magic Survival. It's more like the difference between Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Magic Survivor is boring to me, the package is just not compelling.

Vampire Survivors is in the same genre, but I wouldn't call it a ripoff or anything. Another similar game was brought up in the thread as well, same story. Vampire Survivors just hits different, that's the way it goes sometimes with games.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

WarEternal posted:

There are little blue orbs littered around the map that give you exp, and yellow ones, and pink ones. Yes, you get exp from killing things but there are also gem equivalents to pick up everywhere.

Sorry, I didn't really have a point except to say that it seems to be very similar. To my mind, they kind of owe more than just an "inspired by".

It's not like say... Slay the Spire:Monster Train, much of the gameplay and even the progression is very similar to Magic Survival. It's more like the difference between Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man.
In VS when you kill an enemy you don't get any XP, you get a blue gem dropping where the monster died (sometimes, smaller monsters don't always drop one). They stay there forever, though they combine into red gems when there's too many items lying around. This means a big part of the game is about gem collection. If you haven't played it it's really hard to explain how much this influences almost everything about how the game is played.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah having to move to pick up gems is a core part of the risk/reward, because even if your current DPS can let you just stand still you need to keep collecting to keep up with the ramp.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
I do like Vampire Survivor's risk vs reward with exp.
But Magic Survival offers a lot more build customization:
  • 20 Spells + 3-6x Variants per spell
  • 7 Passive Skills
  • 70 Artifacts (No VS equivalent)
  • 24 Perma-Progression Perks
vs Vampire Survivor which has:
  • 19 Spells + 1 variant per spell
  • 16 Passive Skills
  • 0 Artifacts
  • 18 Perma-Progression Perks

I like Vampire Survivor because it offers you a wide view angle, but Magic Survival has way more build tinkering available.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’d be down to try it but lol no iOS port.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
The Magic Survival dev stole my money and wouldn't reply to emails so I'm glad someone who can implement a proper cloud sync is ripping him off.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

WarEternal posted:

poo poo, we better get on all those 100000000 clone games on smart phones! LET'S GET ON IT.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 18, 2022

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Far as I know, in terms of chaotic, semi-inspired doings there's this:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1836550/Tap_Wizard_2/

But for more elevated, explicitly inspired doings there's this:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1914580/view/3096792662638547857

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
new weapons

:blaster::blaster: :blastback::blastback:

combine with each other and tiragisu

new character

:wink: :tutbutt:

also new power up

banish- can remove an item from level up selection for rest of run

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 20, 2022

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mazerunner posted:

banish- can remove an item from level up selection for rest of run
get hosed, armor

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

just you wait until the Laurel+Armor evolution that finally cracks 1 billion DPS

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hwurmp posted:

just you wait until the Laurel+Armor evolution that finally cracks 1 billion DPS
I mean, I didn't post "get hosed, pentagram" because pentagram already got its buff, otherwise that would have been my windmill slam first pick banish. all opinions are subject to change

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it will be called the Yanny

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

now that is a quality of life improvement :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Banish is kind of bad since it skips the level up entirely. Hopefully that will get adjusted.