Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Human rights NGO. Most important aspect is citizens of member states can claim compensation for human rights violations by appealing to the European Court of Human Rights.

Member states are also theoretically held to a minimum standard of human rights for their citizens. In practice I'm not sure Russia has been all that compliant even when they were a member

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Deltasquid posted:

I don’t understand this? He is rational

Just because he showed evidence of being rational for decades, it doesn't mean he's still rational today. People change, cognitive function tend to erode with age, he could have any number of neurological disorder etc.
He's not a superhuman

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

Member states are also theoretically held to a minimum standard of human rights for their citizens. In practice I'm not sure Russia has been all that compliant even when they were a member

They nominally didn't have the death penalty. Didn't stop them from outright murdering people, or at least trying to, but probably kept the number down somewhat.

Edit: and some news:
https://mobile.twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1504067534684921862

(Not sure they should be announcing it before the fact...)

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

PederP posted:

My point is that a rational actor can be concerned with things other than security. Territorial expansion and ambitions of unifying some more or less imagined ethno-nationalist entity (Greater Russia) is perfectly rational, even if unsympathetic. If we try to understand and reason with the Kremlin regime, it is folly to not accept that expanding the Russian Federation is part of Putin's goals. What Putin did does not make sense from perspective of security - hence it follows that ascribing him such motives is the same as saying he is irrational.

If you do not think Putin is irrational, then he must have other concerns than security. This invasion makes no sense otherwise. As the Russian elite, intelligentsia and state media are all openly discussing an ethno-nationalist unification agenda, it follows that this is a more likely explanation. It is an unpleasant explanation for sure - because security concerns can be resolved through compromise and diplomacy. Expansionist concerns are mutually exclusive with the existence of a sovereign Ukrainian state.

I don't understand why revanchism and fears about security are exclusive to one another. I think Putin does have revanchist motivations, but he also does have security concerns about Ukraine. I think any hypothetical Russian government that's not completely West-aligned would have similar security concerns about Ukraine, even if it doesn't share the revanchism.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Putin: dance a little loving dance in support of my war or you're loving fired
https://twitter.com/Ben_H_Noble/status/1504013061732339713?t=T9XwftxPx3SYl-e6fdXJoA&s=19
Article: https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/5258998
Machine translated excerpt:

quote:

The authorities of the Russian regions, on behalf of the Kremlin, will consider organizing public actions in support of the army and military special operations in Ukraine. It is reported by RBC with reference to sources. According to the interlocutors of the publication, almost no restrictions on the format of such events will be established.

As a source told RBC, an action in support of the military can be considered a rally, an exhibition, a video, a mark with the letter Z on the avatars of officials in social networks - almost any format is possible. The timing of events is also not limited. According to one of the interlocutors of RBC, the actions can be carried out both on an "assignment" from the federal authorities, and on the initiative of the regional ones.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Ola posted:

That's obviously just internet speculation, not a confirmed policy. I think they aren't using that many precision munitions because they don't have that many.

Really? I feel like Russia is doing what it did in Chechnya and Syria. It doesn't seem to be a policy which requires precision munitions and it doesn't seem to be a way of doing things that they wanted to change.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

PederP posted:

My point is that a rational actor can be concerned with things other than security. Territorial expansion and ambitions of unifying some more or less imagined ethno-nationalist entity (Greater Russia) is perfectly rational, even if unsympathetic. If we try to understand and reason with the Kremlin regime, it is folly to not accept that expanding the Russian Federation is part of Putin's goals. What Putin did does not make sense from perspective of security - hence it follows that ascribing him such motives is the same as saying he is irrational.

If you do not think Putin is irrational, then he must have other concerns than security. This invasion makes no sense otherwise. As the Russian elite, intelligentsia and state media are all openly discussing an ethno-nationalist unification agenda, it follows that this is a more likely explanation. It is an unpleasant explanation for sure - because security concerns can be resolved through compromise and diplomacy. Expansionist concerns are mutually exclusive with the existence of a sovereign Ukrainian state.

good post.

if they tell you over and over what they want, you should believe them.

very few people are actually irrational and if you find yourself calling someone irrational you should reexamine the situation - it's way more likely you don't understand their motivations or goals.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1504089414875717633

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Holy mackeral
https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1504085955359252482?cxt=HHwWhIC9jaONy98pAAAA

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

KitConstantine posted:

Yeah, but the enforcement mechanism for those standards is via the ECHR. In practice a number of countries such as Russia and Turkey have given… less than due consideration to the existence and case law of the ECHR, it is true.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Eric Cantonese posted:

Really? I feel like Russia is doing what it did in Chechnya and Syria. It doesn't seem to be a policy which requires precision munitions and it doesn't seem to be a way of doing things that they wanted to change.

Precision bombs are actually really expensive and take a lot of high end stuff to make and Russia has never had the capacity to make a lot of them, so they've kinda always defaulted to grotesque carpet bombing violence.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

You know what really shows the world that your country is both winning and not mad? Making babies hold up signs celebrating war crimes
https://twitter.com/EvaHartog/status/1504077124591927301?t=GgO9lc9wptB11ROOSET3Lg&s=19

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Saladman posted:

Yeah, but personnel costs are ~25% of expenditures and those will be way lower, plus that will have similar proportionately lower costs for procurement for many things (though not all). You should probably compare closer to expenditure at PPP, or maybe like...halfway between PPP and raw numbers. Maybe there's a metric for that.

In any case it's nowhere in the same universe as NATO expenditures regardless of your normalization.

Yes, but my point is that under no circumstances that kind of budget can support a military of that size, even if they produce a lot of their equipment at home and have much lower wages than the West. And we currently see that Russia can only field a fraction of it's expected capabilities in pretty much every field: from equipment condition, to troop quality, to tactical capabilities...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Eric Cantonese posted:

The US has mountains of GBUs and JDAMs, but I don't think laser guided bombs are that common in Russia's air force. Their precision guided weapons are more likely to be missiles, which are even more expensive and have smaller warheads, so are better employed against military forces. Bombing infrastructure or civilians? Meh, just use iron bombs, the computer bomb sight is pretty good.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ola posted:

The US has mountains of GBUs and JDAMs, but I don't think laser guided bombs are that common in Russia's air force. Their precision guided weapons are more likely to be missiles, which are even more expensive and have smaller warheads, so are better employed against military forces. Bombing infrastructure or civilians? Meh, just use iron bombs, the computer bomb sight is pretty good.

And a large amount of our precision bombs are just old bombs with kits added to them to turn them into precision bombs.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
any videos of the speech and zelenkys video?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

I caught part of his address - Zelensky switched to English at the end which was a very smart move imo. Also the video was super powerful
https://twitter.com/biannagolodryga/status/1504085844172419076?t=LC8Z_rSrlX2ebpCApOtSJg&s=19
Nice and easy for cable to play and play again.

Zelensky may not have been a good man before, but he is exactly who Ukraine needed in this moment. An actor that understands that this whole war is playing out in front of an audience of billions, and the man knows how to work the crowd

Right person,
Right place,
Right time.

He might have been wobbly before this war and he might be wobbly after it but for now it's all him & Ukraine.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Comstar posted:

Why are the Russians only using 1-2 planes per strike? I thought all normal tactics would be to hit one small area with a lot of planes, insteadf of spreading them over the entire front.
For whatever reason(s), the Russian air force seems to be unable or unwilling to have more than a couple aircraft per strike mission. They are similarly spreading out fires from ballistic missiles. The attack on the foreign legion training base near Lviv on March 10th was an anomaly in terms of the number of ballistic missiles used in that attack.

In general, Russia doesn't seem to be concentrating fires as their doctrine demands. There are exceptions (see: Kharkiv, Mariupol), but I'm wondering if pushing all of the artillery assets down to the BTG level was a doctrinal mistake. If all of your artillery is in the hands of battalion commanders, your senior echelons don't have a critical mass of artillery to focus on a decisive point without a lot of extra coordination.

MonkeyLibFront posted:

So my experience as a tank commander is that this is down 100% to crew skill...ut more worrying it shows they don't have recovery assets at a Sqn/Btn level which could winch these vehicles out, this all adds up to poor a tactical level of command and control. This type of bogged in would take maybe an hour to get unfucked if not under fire, if they'd single vehicles the route, maybe 2 or three minutes once hooked up.
That's kind of what I was thinking based on my own experience. Then again, it does sound like Rasputitsa is like nothing else. I've driven through horrendous mud in South Korea and in the US, but maybe it really is its own kind of terrain in some respects.

Someone posted earlier that a BTG only has a single heavy recovery vehicle. In US formations, every company has one, so in an effort to have minimal logistics support Russian BTGs run with only a third of the recovery assets. It turns out recovery assets are actually a maneuver asset.

[b]Political chat:
I love how Russia seems to be trying to convince Ukraine that promised neutrality is a route out. "If we come to beat you up again, do you promise not to have any friends on speed dial?"

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Yeah, and thankfully some of those people go further west, because Polish gov is completely unprepared to handle that kind of operation. It's mostly volunteers, NGOs and local gov that does the work, with the barest minimum of help from central gov. Of course fuckers from PiS has spent last 7 years gutting local gov because right wing fucks gonna right wing..
I really hope something more is organized soon, or in about 2 weeks volunteers will be completely burned out, and all easily available places for rest will be used up.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

any videos of the speech and zelenkys video?

Here's the video on youtube from when it streamed - I think it's the whole thing as it matches lengths of other videos of the speech on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q8O0pvvGKU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Precision bombs are actually really expensive and take a lot of high end stuff to make and Russia has never had the capacity to make a lot of them, so they've kinda always defaulted to grotesque carpet bombing violence.

A lot of people still have this internalized view of Russia as just the Soviet Union with a different flag but when you realized that after the breakup and economic collapse, they're currently at around "Brazil" in terms of population and GDP it makes a bit more sense why they're using so much old rear end equipment.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

At least 10 civilians killed while waiting in line for bread in Chernihiv today. :nms: Video shows blurred dead bodies.
https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1504060658144448512

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

It begins
https://twitter.com/BBCWillVernon/status/1504057954701561857?t=m-FKaN7UAmqrYCuWBgiG7g&s=19
That's called a "furlough" where I'm from, and generally they're unpaid. If more companies follow suit there's gonna be a lot more people with less money and more time on their hands.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Deltasquid posted:

Human rights NGO. Most important aspect is citizens of member states can claim compensation for human rights violations by appealing to the European Court of Human Rights.

Just to be clear - that's not what an NGO is - they are generally voluntary groups/bodies that are independent of governments (mostly, although some do get funding from govts). Most NGOs are like charities, clubs, associations, etc, and can be at local, national or international scale.

The Council of Europe is at the other end of the spectrum - its an Intergovernmental Organisation, comprised of member states/governments, with the aim of promoting democracy, human rights and the rule of law. Its most famous achievement is the European Convention on Human Rights, which all member states have signed up to, and the European Court on Human Rights, which citizens can bring cases to if a member country has violated their rights or freedoms.

Think of it like a mini, regional UN.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Eric Cantonese posted:

This might be a dumb idea, but I thought Russia was opting out of using precision munitions because it's more difficult to write off civilian casualties and other collateral damage when you're using precision weapons. They're trying to break the will of the Ukrainian population and the Ukrainian government with brute force, so why go with the expensive stuff?

thats not the reason. the reason is they ran out of precision munitions after the first couple days

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

thats not the reason. the reason is they ran out of precision munitions after the first couple days

Yeah it's not "more" or "less" difficult to write off civilian casualties or anything else when you* literally lie all the time and claim everyone else is lying if they say you've done a bad thing.

*) The state and all state affiliates.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I wish I could set Youtube so that the chat windows were closed by default. It's full of alt-right and pro-Russian trolls railing on stuff like illegal immigration and I'm sure some of them are bots.

Zelensky's showing the importance of media training. It helps you learn how to communicate and the basic underlying art of politics.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

OddObserver posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1504067534684921862

(Not sure they should be announcing it before the fact...)

If they don't announce the shipments, Putin could interpret his planes/missiles getting downed by more advanced anti-air as direct western interference.

When MH17 got shot down years ago, it was by a Buk system that was then driven back over the border to Russia. Was it a Russian guy pushing the buttons or a pro-Russian seperatist? Russia will never tell us.

By openly saying you're delivering the systems, the Russians can't blame lossed on a third nation. They'll also hopefully stop or limit their own air campaign to prevent huge losses to increased anti-air. Ukraine wants to prevent civilian casualties, not maximize Russian deaths.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah it's not "more" or "less" difficult to write off civilian casualties or anything else when you* literally lie all the time and claim everyone else is lying if they say you've done a bad thing.

*) The state and all state affiliates.

Okay. I just assumed they didn't give a poo poo about precision because that didn't have anything to do with their goals.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

Okay. I just assumed they didn't give a poo poo about precision because that didn't have anything to do with their goals.

Well, you're right?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I like how Zelenskyy offered an out in his address to Congress. He said that if they couldn't give a no-fly zone in Ukraine, they could give some S-300 surface-to-air missiles. Since it looks like big shipments of AA are incoming to Ukraine right now, it seems like it could satisfy Ukraine without starting WW3.

In other news...

quote:

We are terribly saddened by the horrific events taking place in Ukraine. Our heartfelt thoughts go out to all those affected by Russia’s actions.

In light of this, Games Workshop is suspending all sales of Warhammer products into Russia.

We didn’t take this decision lightly. We know that there are many Russian hobbyists who don’t condone the war. Yet, we must stand with those suffering.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/03/16/an-important-note-on-russia-and-ukraine/

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lol even the fascist game is refusing to sell to the fascists

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Comstar posted:

Why are the Russians only using 1-2 planes per strike? I thought all normal tactics would be to hit one small area with a lot of planes, insteadf of spreading them over the entire front.
I read an article on this and according to it the only logical conclusions was: "because they can't". They're not able to do these massive concerted air operations like you'd expect from seeing American bombardments.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
With these - fingers crossed - somewhat hopeful signs out of the negotiations, what security guarantees would Ukraine be looking for in return for these kinds of concessions? I'm having a hard time parsing what a model involving guarantor states would actually involve?

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1504043370011938822?s=20&t=F1aGqkcuP-gqU-6JKt6CgA

https://twitter.com/Podolyak_M/status/1504045102196572165?s=20&t=awTLvXfFIR67dDajaPcIRQ

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Tigey posted:

Just to be clear - that's not what an NGO is - they are generally voluntary groups/bodies that are independent of governments (mostly, although some do get funding from govts). Most NGOs are like charities, clubs, associations, etc, and can be at local, national or international scale.

My experience of NGO's is quite the opposite. They are businesses with no gov ties, but businesses. Non-profit ostensibly, but salary driven. There's good money to be made running a NGO and quite a bit of abuse. I don't mean to generalize abuse but I do caution that any involvement with NGO's should be properly and well vetted before handing over money.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PerilPastry posted:

With these - fingers crossed - somewhat hopeful signs out of the negotiations, what security guarantees would Ukraine be looking for in return for these kinds of concessions? I'm having a hard time parsing what a model involving guarantor states would actually involve?

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1504043370011938822?s=20&t=F1aGqkcuP-gqU-6JKt6CgA

https://twitter.com/Podolyak_M/status/1504045102196572165?s=20&t=awTLvXfFIR67dDajaPcIRQ

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1504057014535827464

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Worth noting Warhammer actually called out fascist roleplayers associating with the game, and mentioned that part of the game was to highlight the absurdity of fascism.

https://kotaku.com/resurgence-of-facism-forces-warhammer-to-remind-fans-im-1848089843
https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7ve5y/warhammer-40k-tells-idiot-fascists-having-a-god-emperor-is-bad-actually

quote:

“The Imperium of Man stands as a cautionary tale of what could happen should the very worst of Humanity’s lust for power and extreme, unyielding xenophobia set in,” the post reads. “Like so many aspects of Warhammer 40,000, the Imperium of Man is satirical.”

Furthermore, Games Workshop said that anyone who wears emblems from fascist groups and comes to Warhammer 40,000 tournaments will not be allowed to participate.

“If you come to a Games Workshop event or store and behave to the contrary, including wearing the symbols of real-world hate groups, you will be asked to leave,” the post reads. “We won’t let you participate. We don’t want your money. We don’t want you in the Warhammer community.”

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Isn't it a game about fascism made by nominally antifascist people? Or at least, that's what it was originally

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

good post.

if they tell you over and over what they want, you should believe them.

very few people are actually irrational and if you find yourself calling someone irrational you should reexamine the situation - it's way more likely you don't understand their motivations or goals.

I would tell you to listen to what he has been saying for the past 10 years over and over again but that would rub against thread rules. ;)

The concerns of security for the Russian state are intertwined with this concept of Ukrainians and Russians being one people. As another poster said above they are not mutually exclusive. This doesn't mean an independent Ukraine wasn't unacceptable, just that an independent Ukraine aligned politically and militarily against Russia was unacceptable.

One can also not discount the fact that Putin not the 50 year old man that succeeded Yeltsin. He is an old man, especially by Russian standards. The desire to leave a lasting legacy in the history books is almost assuredly a factor that explains the timing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Alchenar posted:

e: if it sounds video gamey, it's because video games took this from how its done in the real world
Random fact: as I understand it war-gaming was pioneered by the Prussian general staff and came to Britain and the US by way of both military contacts and the efforts of HG Wells. It spread out of military academies to spawn a whole bunch of grognardy boardgames. Those in turn helped inspire Dungeons and Dragons, which, ultimately, is just a low-res world-sim engine that runs on neurons and paper instead of silicon chips. D&D in turn inspired most of the early video-gaming industry. Wargames are perfect video-game fodder because the computer removes all the tedious maths and streanlines things massively. Which is ultimately why British TV used to have a show where Tony Robinson, best-known as Baldric from Blackadder, would use a lightly-modified Total War engine to refight the Battle of Marathon and pretend it was educational.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 16, 2022