Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CommieGIR posted:

Worth noting Warhammer actually called out fascist roleplayers associating with the game, and mentioned that part of the game was to highlight the absurdity of fascism.

https://kotaku.com/resurgence-of-facism-forces-warhammer-to-remind-fans-im-1848089843
https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7ve5y/warhammer-40k-tells-idiot-fascists-having-a-god-emperor-is-bad-actually

Everyone j have met who plays this game or follows the theme of it is a frothing fascist. While I'm sure there are non fash, the representation of the fash elements is dominant.

I inherently see this as a representation of what they believe to be peak fash future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Everyone j have met who plays this game or follows the theme of it is a frothing fascist. While I'm sure there are non fash, the representation of the fash elements is dominant.

I inherently see this as a representation of what they believe to be peak fash future.

I imagine it's this more or less

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Hasan Piker was going off yesterday on stream on how 'mysterious' it is that suddenly Poland and other european nations have all this magically manifesting room for refugees that aren't Syrians or other regions with predominantly nonwhite people, after pooh-poohing for years that they simply had no room.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

MikeC posted:

One can also not discount the fact that Putin not the 50 year old man that succeeded Yeltsin. He is an old man, especially by Russian standards. The desire to leave a lasting legacy in the history books is almost assuredly a factor that explains the timing.

Well, this is his legacy now. Whatever comes after, he'll be remembered as the man who turned Russia from a soft power into an actual laughingstock.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Huh, I just read through an excerpt of Zelensky's speech and this bit stuck out to me:

quote:

We need new alliances and we offer them. We propose to create an association, united for peace, a union of responsible countries to stop conflict immediately, provide all the necessary assistance in 24 hours, weapons if necessary, sanctions if necessary, humanitarian support, finances, everything you need to keep the peace and quickly to save the world, to save life. Such associations would provide assistance to those who are experiencing natural disasters, who fell victim to humanitarian crisis or epidemics. Remember how difficult it was for the world to do the simplest things just to get a vaccine against COVID to save lives, to prevent new strains. The world spent months, years doing things like that much faster to make sure there are no victims. Ladies and gentlemen, if such an alliance would exist today we would be able to save thousands of lives in our country, in many countries around the world, those who need peace, those who suffer inhumane destruction...

This is probably so much hot air and wishful thinking, but it sounds like he's proposing a union of presumably broadly democratic countries with fast-tracked structures in place to slam down sanctions and assistance in the breakout of any war against, presumably, anyone, as well as general humanitarian aid in the event of global disasters. That seems...interesting. I don't know much about international law or governance - does any of this seem theoretically possible, if we leave aside whether the internal politics of potential member nations (read: the US) would agree to it? How would that work?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

mobby_6kl posted:

It was more "fascism bad" than "war bad" in the early days (GW's founders were all massive history/war nerds, though mostly HRE/Renaissance-era European history). Then they discovered that the fanbase had an infinite appetite for grimdark and didn't really care as much about the satire so they cranked the grimdark up to 11 and now dumbasses think it's an inspiring tale. Like Space Marines are supposed to be horrific brainwashed child soldiers who are kidnapped from their parents and pumped full of gene-tech space magic to make them into rampaging killing machines, but people mostly just think the power armour is nifty.

It's basically the same problem that Judge Dredd has always suffered from with its fans, which is maybe not accidental given the extent to which 40k ripped off Judge Dredd (among other things)

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Interesting
https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/1504098809386868749?t=yQ3cPbNvyy5eif_z88Qr_Q&s=19
In that there was a conversation, that we know about it, and that the Russian party to it was named.

Edit: three things, not two
Edit2: official white house statement
https://twitter.com/Mike_Eckel/status/1504099718539927552?t=SnG-A9uQJt5OK02N6rPyKw&s=19

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 16, 2022

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

MikeC posted:

I would tell you to listen to what he has been saying for the past 10 years over and over again but that would rub against thread rules. ;)

The concerns of security for the Russian state are intertwined with this concept of Ukrainians and Russians being one people. As another poster said above they are not mutually exclusive. This doesn't mean an independent Ukraine wasn't unacceptable, just that an independent Ukraine aligned politically and militarily against Russia was unacceptable.

One can also not discount the fact that Putin not the 50 year old man that succeeded Yeltsin. He is an old man, especially by Russian standards. The desire to leave a lasting legacy in the history books is almost assuredly a factor that explains the timing.

Putin's "legacy" will be that he completely obliterated any chance Russia had of rising from the collapse of the Soviet Union and earning them permanant vassalage status to China.

He is responsible for death and displacement of millions, the torture and executions of thousands, and the destruction of the future of Russia, both those fighting in theis pointless war and dying, and those rounded up for protesting against him.

He burned it all down, like the petulant paranoid man-baby that he is. His tomb should be a public urinal in St. Petersburg

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

mobby_6kl posted:

Tigey posted:

Just to be clear - that's not what an NGO is - they are generally voluntary groups/bodies that are independent of governments (mostly, although some do get funding from govts). Most NGOs are like charities, clubs, associations, etc, and can be at local, national or international scale.

The Council of Europe is at the other end of the spectrum - its an Intergovernmental Organisation, comprised of member states/governments, with the aim of promoting democracy, human rights and the rule of law. Its most famous achievement is the European Convention on Human Rights, which all member states have signed up to, and the European Court on Human Rights, which citizens can bring cases to if a member country has violated their rights or freedoms.

Think of it like a mini, regional UN.

Apologies, this is correct. I’m phoneposting and mixed up the terms in English

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 16, 2022

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

nimby posted:

If they don't announce the shipments, Putin could interpret his planes/missiles getting downed by more advanced anti-air as direct western interference.

When MH17 got shot down years ago, it was by a Buk system that was then driven back over the border to Russia. Was it a Russian guy pushing the buttons or a pro-Russian seperatist? Russia will never tell us.

By openly saying you're delivering the systems, the Russians can't blame lossed on a third nation. They'll also hopefully stop or limit their own air campaign to prevent huge losses to increased anti-air. Ukraine wants to prevent civilian casualties, not maximize Russian deaths.

We also need to remind ourselves that Russia has spy satellites too. It's hard to know what their exact capabilities are, but shipments of AA trucks/missles/installations will show up. They're gonna have a vague idea of large things like these whether we tell them or not.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Jettisoning the Azov batallion poo poo seems like such an easy win for both sides at the negotiation table. Putin gets to claim his denazification, and Ukraine gets to get rid of a thorn in their side (albeit with possibly some local grumbles as noted earlier).

Trump posted:

Think it's more like it's because whenever a Russian plane takes off it's lit up like a xmas show from across the Polish border, the last week including a Patriot battery, by AWACS and ground radar.

Ukraine lacks the real good AA, but they are supported by the absolute best intelligence and surveillance apparatus in the world.
The S-300 is older but no slouch, and I believe Ukraine has the modernizations of the system, but yeah the advantage Western ELINT provides is incalculable.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Zephro posted:

It was more "fascism bad" than "war bad" in the early days. Then they discovered that the fanbase had an infinite appetite for grimdark and didn't really care as much about the satire so they cranked the grimdark up to 11 and now dumbasses think it's an inspiring tale.

It's basically the same problem that Judge Dredd has always suffered from with its fans, which is maybe not accidental given the extent to which 40k ripped off Judge Dredd (among other things)

Judge Dredd, Punisher, Warhammer40k, etc. People love to overlook the message or underlying message in favor of "Oooo, that looks cool/sounds cool"

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

You have to love the irony of this war starting as an existential crisis for Ukraine, but through sheer incompetence and hubris, has turned into an existential crisis for Russia.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

That's a problem with wargaming in general, sadly. It seems to attract a lot of freaks who want to re-litigate 'WW2 but hilter won.'

Most of the people I know who play WH40K are definitely not fascist and include some straight up antifa types. But the brand does have problems with fascists in their fandom.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

nimby posted:

If they don't announce the shipments, Putin could interpret his planes/missiles getting downed by more advanced anti-air as direct western interference.
Yeah, if you announce this beforehand it's out in the open and everyone knows about it and it becomes a fait accompli.

If you say nothing then the first time one of these shoots down a Sukhoi the Russians get to go public with the evidence and accuse the West of reckless escalation etc. Saying you're doing it denies them that possibility.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Spacedad posted:

Hasan Piker was going off yesterday on stream on how 'mysterious' it is that suddenly Poland and other european nations have all this magically manifesting room for refugees that aren't Syrians or other regions with predominantly nonwhite people, after pooh-poohing for years that they simply had no room.

Someone posted a good Tweet thread about Poland's divergent attitudes towards refugees. I'm having a hard time finding it now.

There was also a piece in the NY Times about this as well.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1503484629948547082

I see good in people being pretty welcoming for Ukrainian refugees, but it is hard not to get depressed over the disparity in treatment.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Eric Cantonese posted:

Someone posted a good Tweet thread about Poland's divergent attitudes towards refugees. I'm having a hard time finding it now.

I see good in people being pretty welcoming for Ukrainian refugees, but it is hard not to get depressed over the disparity in treatment.

Yeah, and its important to highlight the racial disparities, because it is disgusting how Muslims and Black migrants/refugees get treated.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Judge Dredd, Punisher, Warhammer40k, etc. People love to overlook the message or underlying message in favor of "Oooo, that looks cool/sounds cool"

See also, much of the fandom around every Vietnam war movie, most notably Full Metal Jacket and Apocalypse Now.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, and its important to highlight the racial disparities, because it is disgusting how Muslims and Black migrants/refugees get treated.

I'm looking forward to the story where Spain or some other western European country doesn't let in too many Ukrainians for fear of the perfidious Slav.

When Europeans do racisms, they go old-school.

The UK is a special case where the government position is basically that refugees aren't a real thing, no matter where they're from.

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

Zephro posted:

Which is ultimately why British TV used to have a show where Tony Robinson, best-known as Baldric from Blackadder, would use a lightly-modified Total War engine to refight the Battle of Marathon and pretend it was educational.

We had this in America, too! It used to be on the History Channel before they pivoted to ancient aliens.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Isn't it a game about fascism made by nominally antifascist people? Or at least, that's what it was originally

Yeah, the original GW founders were essentially a bunch of misfits (nerd gamer version of The Young Ones) who weren't welcome in the various wargaming clubs, as they A) often didn't have a military background, B) wanted to play weird non-historical games, C) had long hair. There has always been a small subset of fascists and tankies as part of the tablegame gaming scene, but my anecdotal experience is that they are no more common than in other hobbies. I've seen far more extremism among football fans and amateur clubs than in tabletop gaming. But there are ofc always examples of tabletop gaming shops and clubs were a fascist crowd have come to dominate. As others have mentioned, GW (and other companies) are actively trying to do something about this. There are companies out there actively glorifying some pretty bad stuff - having known a lot of people working at Games Workshop HQ, I can honestly say they are absolutely not a fascist crowd. On the contrary. The average GW employee is probably politically somewhere in leftist segment of Labor.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Putin also had a speech today! It...wasn't as moving, it seems.

I haven't found a full video but this thread has a summary and clips
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1504096026801721345?t=3dimvGfe_fKYAMVQX9xvdA&s=19
Big mean Ukraine was gonna beat up lil guy Russia with Nukes and bioweapons and this is all the west's fault, etc.

Nothing new, but the contrast is stark

Edit: Found a thread of just quotes and uhhhhh
https://twitter.com/maryilyushina/status/1504101024046452736?t=vU01pJQKSp_kuw806ExMUw&s=19
UHHHHHH YIKES

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Zero_Grade posted:

The S-300 is older but no slouch, and I believe Ukraine has the modernizations of the system, but yeah the advantage Western ELINT provides is incalculable.

I know this is never gonna happen, but I want to post this head canon: a very big gently caress-You to Putin would be Turkey giving Ukraine their S-400 system (I guess if Ukraine has crews for the S-300, the transition should not take too long) and getting a modern NATO air defense system in return.

Kill 2 flies with one swat. Turkey is rid of the S-400 that drove a wedge between them and NATO. And Ukraine now has a very modern air defense system.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Some of us just think Orks are funny. :smith:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

KitConstantine posted:

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1504096026801721345?t=3dimvGfe_fKYAMVQX9xvdA&s=19
Big mean Ukraine was gonna beat up lil guy Russia with Nukes and bioweapons and this is all the west's fault, etc.

https://twitter.com/maryilyushina/status/1504101024046452736?t=vU01pJQKSp_kuw806ExMUw&s=19
UHHHHHH YIKES

Uhhhhh that last sentence is extremely concerning for a number of reasons.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

TulliusCicero posted:

Putin's "legacy" will be that he completely obliterated any chance Russia had of rising from the collapse of the Soviet Union and earning them permanant vassalage status to China.

He is responsible for death and displacement of millions, the torture and executions of thousands, and the destruction of the future of Russia, both those fighting in theis pointless war and dying, and those rounded up for protesting against him.

He burned it all down, like the petulant paranoid man-baby that he is. His tomb should be a public urinal in St. Petersburg

They never had a chance to rise and wont for the foreseeable future. Even without exonomc mismanagement the demographic pressures and the collapse of the old Soviet territory which used to add tens of millions of people to the books assured them of that. Putin's legacy will the failure to age Russia gracefully out of the Great Power stage like the UK did and instead of retaining credibility as a regional power, instead turns it into a pariah state for another generation.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I'm pretty certain the only non-fash WH40K players are the ones who just think it's fun to shout "MORE DAKKA".

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Uhhhhh that last sentence is extremely concerning for a number of reasons.

I wonder how accurate that translation is and if it has the same connotations in Russia.

I guess telling everyone who wants to leave that they should leave is better than closing your borders and preventing people?

Putin is still trying to dig his way out of the well it seems.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

KitConstantine posted:

UHHHHHH YIKES

That's... terrifying.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Eric Cantonese posted:

That's... terrifying.

I mean, he wanted to purge Ukrainians, why not purge people at home too?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Chalks posted:

I wonder how accurate that translation and if it has the same connotations in Russia.

I guess telling everyone who wants to leave that they should leave is better than closing your borders and preventing people?

This is a good point. A lot of translations do miss the nuance. While it's not comparable in terms of situations, people who speak Korean had a very different experience listening to Parasite in its original language than those who only read the subtitles.

I read that sentence as "Kill anyone who's not a nationalist or 'patriot'", which is extremely concerning.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Deltasquid posted:

Human rights NGO. Most important aspect is citizens of member states can claim compensation for human rights violations by appealing to the European Court of Human Rights.

Inter-governmental organisation, not non-governmental organisation.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Well that's... ominous.

Super cool, Russia. Totally not the baddies here.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Chalks posted:

I wonder how accurate that translation is and if it has the same connotations in Russia.

I'd do the needful if I could stand listening to this rear end in a top hat for even a minute, ugh

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Eric Cantonese posted:

When some Ukranians refugees were shown using their iphones to desperately contact any aid/evac orgs or loved ones in a video news segment, Hasan also mentioned how Syrians were demonized for 'using and not using iphones' by western media.

The press would say 'the Syrians cannot be helped because they are backwards people who don't even have iphones.'

When it was shown that Syrians did in fact have iphones (a lot of iphones in fact) the press without missing a beat said 'look at these Syrian refugees with luxurious iphones, they clearly don't need our help.'

That's the nature of racism in a nutshell. There's no winning with racists.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

UHHHHHH YIKES

Putin posted:

...natural self-purification of society will only strengthen our country.

Yikes indeed

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

KitConstantine posted:

You know what really shows the world that your country is both winning and not mad? Making babies hold up signs celebrating war crimes
https://twitter.com/EvaHartog/status/1504077124591927301?t=GgO9lc9wptB11ROOSET3Lg&s=19

drat that's hosed.

Any other Americans remember being forced in school to write letters to our boys in Iraq? My younger brother, 3rd grade in 2003, took class photos with everyone holding an American flag to send with the letters. My sister's dance recital that year had a big "Grand Ol Flag" number at the end, the only 2 male dancers marched out on stage in camo and all the girls stopped to salute them lmao. Nationalism is a hell of a thing.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

barbecue at the folks posted:

I'm pretty certain the only non-fash WH40K players are the ones who just think it's fun to shout "MORE DAKKA".
This is hardly thread relevant, but since it has come up and I guess someone else could use a good laugh looking at terrible dumb awesome retro art https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694065&pagenumber=1

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

The reporter I originally posted put up a video of what is supposed to be just that section and provided a translation. It's a minute 20 if anyone wants to try to stomach it, but this puts the remarks in context somewhat
https://twitter.com/maryilyushina/status/1504104821632163842?t=iJ3e3zvFffdTOg9NCcR1MQ&s=19

...they don't seem better in context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I'm not sure if 'hay guyz I'm gonna do Great Purge 2.0 on you because I badly hosed up a military conflict' will go over particularly well.