Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Schwartzcough posted:

This implicit insult to Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring will not stand.

Ergheiz was a tiny step above Star Wars Teras Kasai imo. Still floaty and clunky as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Schwartzcough posted:

That subtitle took a whole new meaning only one year later.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Injustice 2 and MK11 actually really smoothed out their gameplay. The only bad part is they also introduced terrible mobile f2p mechanics as well.

NRS games eternally feel crazy clunky to me from an actual system mechanics perspective, but I know they're popular and obviously there's an audience so that's cool, definitely including MK11 in that.

I'd just be disappointed cause it'd almost certainly be a hard pass for me unless they totally rework the way their movement and systems work. Maybe I'd pick it up on sale for the singleplayer eventually though :shrug:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

pretty soft girl posted:

Yep this was it, the game did not care for my level 33 pants in a level 50 dungeon. Breaking poo poo left and right now

Hell yea!

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I can't be bothered to do manual equips, though I'm only just through the FF13 area post dark elf so I'm not sure if there's really any benefit to it yet anyway

I assume it becomes a lot more important on chaos/in the end game?

Even in chaos I was mostly hitting optimize, but double checking some pieces. idk how the game decides what is best because there have been a few times where there were pieces with just generally better stats overall with 0 downsides.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I want a FF fighting game where Sabin is the only character that you have to select his moves from a menu. Not that I'd want to play it, but it would give me a chuckle.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Elvis_Maximus posted:

NRS games eternally feel crazy clunky to me from an actual system mechanics perspective, but I know they're popular and obviously there's an audience so that's cool, definitely including MK11 in that.

I'd just be disappointed cause it'd almost certainly be a hard pass for me unless they totally rework the way their movement and systems work. Maybe I'd pick it up on sale for the singleplayer eventually though :shrug:

Yeah I was right there with you until my friend had me try Injustice 2. I like the way the combos work now, it used to be too stiff for my tastes but the moves link together much better with their two newest games and I kinda like the build your own combo style where instead of having to remember long strings of button presses you just have to remember a handful of smaller strings and then mix and match them, execution is more about timing/spacing than perfectly hitting a 35 button press air combo.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Schwartzcough posted:

I guess there's Dissidia too, but who cares about those games.

I do they own.

Well the ones before NT do. The only good arena fighters.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

I have duodecim and it's merely passable imo. Never played MP though.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Pointless observation, but in FF1 is there any acknowledgement if you beat Garland before entering Cornelia?

edit: Nevermind, the door is locked.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 21, 2022

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I can’t believe I didn’t hear more people complaining about Iron Giant. gently caress that guy. Tried for hours as a melee class, but he hits so hard that just two hits I failed to parry or dodge would get me eventually. I get that you want to stay right on him, but drat.

Switched to sage and got him first try.

Sage is a little overtuned.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
NRS games look incredibly ugly to me, and I thought SoP looks fine

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I do they own.

Well the ones before NT do. The only good arena fighters.

Way off topic, but Gundam MBON game owns pretty hard as far as arena fighters go

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I can’t believe I didn’t hear more people complaining about Iron Giant. gently caress that guy. Tried for hours as a melee class, but he hits so hard that just two hits I failed to parry or dodge would get me eventually. I get that you want to stay right on him, but drat.

Switched to sage and got him first try.

Sage is a little overtuned.

Yeah, Magic seems pretty super busted in general which I think sort of cascades to Sage being mega busted since you just straight up get all the white and black magic you could want with no real downsides as far as I can tell

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I just learned today that Ramza’s magical attack grows faster as a squire than any other generic job in the game (other than Mime), so the best job for Magical Ramza to level up as is Squire (or Mime), and not any mage, summoner, or mathemagician. The best casters in the game are Beowulf and his Dragon Girlfriend.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Even with all of the optimization issues, I was able to play through the entire game just fine. Yeah the frame rate really sucks at points, but it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the game. Your mileage will vary though, it's different for everyone. Elden Ring is the same way with being very poorly optimized and everyone gave that a free pass. Doesn't change the fact that both games are two of the best titles released so far this year.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Shadows were the thing that really hosed me up. Turning those off/low made things a lot more manageable

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

I was literally playing a different game from everyone else. It was like playing with a weighted football stuffed with a lit fuse of dynamite in a building full of fireworks and wondering why everyone says throwing a football is easy and fun

Also figured out that you can cast spells from the radial menu by pressing attack, so pre-fight buffing with the whole suite of tier 3s and blasting chain nukes is so much easier. Putting chainspell on r1 - r2 makes rdm recover hp for each nuke so I've got access to direct healing instead of relying on potions/regen. This class is a ton of fun!

Game too easy now :(

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

jokes posted:

I just learned today that Ramza’s magical attack grows faster as a squire than any other generic job in the game (other than Mime), so the best job for Magical Ramza to level up as is Squire (or Mime), and not any mage, summoner, or mathemagician. The best casters in the game are Beowulf and his Dragon Girlfriend.

Yeah Ramza is best used as a tank type character, although if you build him up as an Orator and give him a Chocobo mount he'll have like no faith so magic attacks bounce off him and he can run around the map stealing troops.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

idea: reboot of 24, but instead Jack goes around screaming “where’s chaos?!!?” before beating some poor fucker to death. his bros do all the actual work

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

TheHoosier posted:

idea: reboot of 24, but instead Jack goes around screaming “where’s chaos?!!?” before beating some poor fucker to death. his bros do all the actual work

Jack garland Bauer

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

the best arena fighter was the first Virtual On :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok so do the individual jobs passives carry over to other jobs or not? Everything I see says they don't, but Im still plugging away at all the jobs anyway because I can't stop myself

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Everything I see says they don't and also I feel like they don't. It's just command skills and weapon moves that available to whatever job/weapon, with restrictions like 'bash an enemy with your shield' requiring a shield being equipped.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Barudak posted:

Ok so do the individual jobs passives carry over to other jobs or not? Everything I see says they don't, but Im still plugging away at all the jobs anyway because I can't stop myself

Keep jobbing until Chaos is dead

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
This game is giving me a headache because everything is so dark and muddy and it's incredibly easy to get turned around and lost
Seriously why have the first two dungeons been pitch black, I messed around with the brightness settings and the only way I can tell I'm about to start a fight is because my other dudes keep flapping their gums.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

lol that owns

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Injustice 2 and MK11 actually really smoothed out their gameplay. The only bad part is they also introduced terrible mobile f2p mechanics as well.

thge mother box...

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

I want them to lean into this and introduce a DLC boss that’s just a floating 2D triangle, but it’s somehow still 50mb of geometry data.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

with my RTX 2070 Super and Ryzen 7 2700X it runs....fine I guess on medium. Noticeable slowdown but nothing that interferes with gameplay in any way and even the cutscenes are fine for the most part. can't shake the feeling that with normal optimization I should be blowing this game out of the water. it's not a great looking game, I see what people mean in that there's a sort of grubby film over everything that detracts from even bright scenes like the town

the inventory management is the worst good lord. I hate that if you change a job out of your rotation it doesn't keep the equipment settings for it

ran through the first major level though and had fun, looking forward to really sinking my teeth into it. the plot takes itself so seriously which just makes it funnier, as everyone has said. it's impossible not to smile when jack goes C R U S H Y O U and suplexes a skeleton so hard it explodes into crystals. I had never actually watched the "bullshit" scene before playing and it made me legit lol

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

ran down a cactuar and killed it and jack's execution was that he picked it up and just squeezed its little cactus throat with his hands until it popped, looking it dead in the eyes the whole time and just lmfao

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

So as context for these numbers if you're like me and haven't internalized them: that bat model has three times more polygons than Kiryu's full-detail cutscene model in Yakuza 0.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im quite enamored by jack snapping the neck of a horse then sending it to the red crystal zone. Mostly cause that horse is a real son of a mare

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I'm sure it's just a consequence of the subpar visuals but he has that dead eyed thousand yard stare in every cutscene that makes you think the whole time the king is prophesying jack's imagining the sound his spine would make after swinging him by the head onto the throne

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Buck Wildman posted:

I'm sure it's just a consequence of the subpar visuals but he has that dead eyed thousand yard stare in every cutscene that makes you think the whole time the king is prophesying jack's imagining the sound his spine would make after swinging him by the head onto the throne

No, no Im pretty sure thats jacks entire inner mental state.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
jack has no time for cutscenes

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Two SoP questions:
1. Do the passives you unlock in each class' tree apply to other classes that use the same weapon (do the Black Mage passives apply when Sage is my active class?)
2. What is affinity and how does it work?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fadam posted:

Two SoP questions:
1. Do the passives you unlock in each class' tree apply to other classes that use the same weapon (do the Black Mage passives apply when Sage is my active class?)
2. What is affinity and how does it work?

1. No, the only thing that carries over directly are Command and Link skills.
2. Affinity is determined by the armor you equip. It can go up to 400% and for each benchmark it hits you get a special passive. These passives are *not* class locked. You can get them on any class. Getting them on the primary class is just easier because you gain a fairly large percentage of free Affinity from the job tree. It also means you'll gain experience for that job even if it isn't your primary job.

Very often you'll want to mix and match skills. For example Sage's 400% bonus (potions restore MP) is nice but you might be better off with Black Mage's (magic damage increases max MP) instead. Likewise Sage's 250% bonus allows you to block enemy magic attacks without damage which is only okay for Sage but can be really nice on Knight.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

So pieces of gear will eventually have like “+x [Class] Affinity” and that’s how you unlock the higher tier affinity bonuses?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fadam posted:

So pieces of gear will eventually have like “+x [Class] Affinity” and that’s how you unlock the higher tier affinity bonuses?

Yes.

You'll see the class symbol next to the piece of equipment and VERY quickly you'll start seeing pretty much every piece having an affinity.

Once you finish the game once you'll unlock Artifact gear which can have two affinities.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I assume passives are only job specific because when you switch jobs it shows you how much your stats shoot up or down

But I'm not sure if equipment bonuses count? Like, I know if I'm playing a Sage but I'm wearing a bunch of White Mage clothing then WM will slowly level up too, but I don't know if all the bonuses for reaching WM affinity 80% or whatever apply if I'm not currently a WM? Logically they should but the equipment system is such a mess it's hard to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

Passives in the skill tree? No. Affinity bonuses? Yes.

You can press R2 and it will show any affinity bonuses you have gained from reaching the breakpoints from other classes.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 22, 2022