Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i've seen that exact gis platform before,

you mean google maps? i've seen it too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tuna-Fish posted:

Please stop groping about in the dark and read these official releases from the Russian government:

First, in Putin's own words, "On the Historical Unity of Russians and Ukrainians", posted on June 12nd 2021, in which Putin uses openly fascist language to claim that Ukraine (and Belarus) not being ruled from the Kremlin is a historical wrong and a crime. Note that this is the official translation by Kremlin.

Then, on RIA Novosti, an official Kremlin wire service, Наступление России и нового мира (translated: The Advance of Russia and the New World Order), on February 26 2022 at 8:00 AM, in which a Kremlin spokesperson adulates Putin for "solving the Ukrainian question for all time". This was pulled down very soon after being published, but not before a bunch of other Russian official outlets had also ran it. It reads like a victory speech, and if the leaked Russian offensive plans are correct, it was probably meant to go up on the morning after the capture of Kyiv.

If you don't want to do it, that's okay, I understand not wanting to read ~8000 words of fascist propaganda. But please do not doubt what their core objective was when first Putin himself publishes a fascist creed on how the Ukrainians are not a real people, they are just misguided Russians who yearn to return to the motherland, and then his toadie publishes a victory lap essay where he congratulates Putin for unifying Russia, Ukraine and Belarus.

Choice quotes:

Thanks. Yeah I think I've seen/read the "highlights" of both of these. It just still fails to register that they actually tried to act that out.

Rust Martialis posted:

Kalynivka, I think, just outside Kyiv.
Holy poo poo, that's where my grandpa's workshop is/was, curious if it's still there. That could solve a lot of issues.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That’s rather unlikely, if you ask me.
Yeah didn't the US/Germany just tell Poland 'shut up about peacekeeping that's stupid' today?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i've seen that exact gis platform before, so i know that sometimes the display of layers can get funky, but just visually that amount of blue doesn't seem significant. maybe the layers are messed up, maybe the gains are on critical locations that put the rest in doubt, but it is just humorous to see someone breathlessly reporting on what visually seems to be tiny slivers of the red polygon

Those small specks seem to be villages and other road transportation junctions, which would render largest parts of the blob effectively immobile. That’s why they’re important.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

As expected. This is an incredibly convenient, legal way to start loving Russia up in a politically defensible way. It’s very easy to legalspeak this into “they turned our gas off”.

Interestingly enough on discord a goon responded to the news and me asking about the taps being turned off by saying that Russia cannot actually do that - the way their wells are designed would cause pressure build up and explosion.

Whether that's true or not I guess we'll find out. Of course I wouldn't put it past the accidental inventor of the Gates of Hell to just burn that gas where it's welled as a middle finger to Germany.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tesseraction posted:

Interestingly enough on discord a goon responded to the news and me asking about the taps being turned off by saying that Russia cannot actually do that - the way their wells are designed would cause pressure build up and explosion.

Whether that's true or not I guess we'll find out. Of course I wouldn't put it past the accidental inventor of the Gates of Hell to just burn that gas where it's welled as a middle finger to Germany.

I doubt that would work that way, but I know EU has been buying up all the Russian gas it can for storage assuming it's going to get cut off eventually.

Anyways, claimed call intercept from Russian commanders about field conditions:
https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1506453063267241994?s=20&t=nSq6XulLABSRD2mRXGPmEA
https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1506456704048902144?s=20&t=nSq6XulLABSRD2mRXGPmEA

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

I meant that in a virtual sense. In practical sense my understanding is that the entire network literally disintegrates if you stop moving gas through it at least at a certain minimum volume.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Nenonen posted:

It's a bit unsure anyway because it's not yet known if Central European insurers will let ships enter Russian waters in fear that they get stopped and confiscated by Russia.

Some coverage I've seen is that insurance rates for cargo in that area are skyrocketing, so it may become a moot point depending on what mechanisms companies have to absorb those increased costs.

In other news new map dropped
https://twitter.com/SimTack/status/1506683341344546818?s=20&t=IF3Awb1pTOZNfhoa88k3TQ
This account has been pretty conservative about Ukrainian gains in the past so it's a bit interesting to see their tone with regards to the Kyiv counterattacks.

Also one thing I noted - it appears Russia may not be picking one axis to bolster with reinforcements and may instead be doubling down on the 'attack everywhere' philosophy that put them in this position. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out since it would make a lot more sense to stick with reinforcing the marginally successful Donbas axis or shoring up the offensive towards/around Mykolaiv in order to push to Odesa.

IMO if troops are sent to Kyiv it would indicate that the reinforcements are prioritized by political not operational importance,

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Yeah didn't the US/Germany just tell Poland 'shut up about peacekeeping that's stupid' today?

Kinda? The U.S. at least seemed to make very clear that if they went in the U.S. would not be joining in, at least from a boots-on-the-ground perspective. But that statement seems to leave a bit of ambiguity regarding what they think about Poland putting boots on the ground. But I could very well have missed something.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Y’all are flip flopping on the language, but the one consistent theme is that Poland would be sticking its neck out alone, if it were to go for it.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Deteriorata posted:

https://twitter.com/johnsweeneyroar/status/1506629556597366784

John Sweeney reports that Russians are being driven back on the east of Kyiv, as well.

That is wild. West of Kyiv has a lot of forests which I figured played well with Ukrainian hit-and-run tactics. I feel like driving a Russian truck through a forest that speaks Ukrainian is a fairly unappealing assignment.

East of Kyiv is a lot more open though so it seems the offensive is more than just taking advantage of local conditions.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Ynglaur posted:

AT4s are also good anti-infantry weapons in urban environments. Enemy infantry squad in a building? Shoot the wall they're hiding behind. Need to breach a building to get inside? Shoot the wall (from a safe standoff). "Soft" vehicle target like a truck? Pop an AT-4 at it.

What do you do with the spent AT-4 launcher after? Do you just throw it on the ground? Do spent stingers or javelins have any strategic value if the enemy finds them?

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Baronjutter posted:

I really wish someone would hit the Russia-Europe gas lines now so germans have a whole year to adapt and maybe buy a "home sweater" or two. It's like doing an intervention on an addict that keeps saying they'll get clean "one day". It will hurt, but the pain will be worse in the long run if they don't.

You can always become a terrorist and do it yourself. All the adrenaline and serotonin of doing what you want without that pesky responsibility to Authority thing.

Seriously though don't become a terrorist.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Missing Name posted:

Interesting to see how the M72 LAW keeps getting brought back into service just for this lighter duty. Cheaper and lighter than the AT4 and RPG-22

Norway apparently donated a couple thousand M72s to Ukraine.

I'm curious what version Norway sent over. The M72 exists in a variety of versions, Denmark sent over their entire stock of M72EC which had basically just been introduced.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

you mean google maps? i've seen it too

ha, didn't have the video maximized so i missed the watermark. i assumed it was something from esri that all the municipalities around here use which has a very similar look. probably a better approach to paying out the nose for licenses

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

What do you do with the spent AT-4 launcher after? Do you just throw it on the ground? Do spent stingers or javelins have any strategic value if the enemy finds them?

You just drop it, it’s even made out of plastic. And no, neither of that is of any value to Russia.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Kraftwerk posted:

It's baisically just a shell casing, so it will just be dropped.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

And no, neither of that is of any value to Russia.

You mean besides as a prop ion propaganda videos showing Russias crippling blows to Ukraine weapons supply?

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 23, 2022

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

William Bear posted:

Maybe not just sweaters. On March 8th, the Washington Post reported this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/03/08/biden-bans-russian-oil-imports/

If we decide to do that, it would be a remarkable feat of production and generate goodwill through all of Europe. I hope we do.

Further information on heat pumps and potential strategies here.

Did someone say additional manufacturing jobs for made-in-USA products? Fuckin do it, Biden. We can send air conditioning units while we're at it, would probably save some lives during the now-annual record heat waves in Europe.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Kraftwerk posted:

What do you do with the spent AT-4 launcher after? Do you just throw it on the ground?

it is junk at that point

Kraftwerk posted:

Do spent stingers or javelins have any strategic value if the enemy finds them?

the tube the rocket comes in has no value at all

the computer unit that hooks to the rocket tube is still pretty useful and expensive

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

ha, didn't have the video maximized so i missed the watermark. i assumed it was something from esri that all the municipalities around here use which has a very similar look. probably a better approach to paying out the nose for licenses

google maps is pretty half rear end GIS but it does make sharing layers between locations a lot simpler, i wouldn't be surprised if the press shop was using it

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Y’all are flip flopping on the language, but the one consistent theme is that Poland would be sticking its neck out alone, if it were to go for it.
Right, and if they did that NATO has a way to de-escalate things in case Russia hit's Poland's bases, right?

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

Trump posted:

I'm curious what version Norway sent over. The M72 exists in a variety of versions, Denmark sent over their entire stock of M72EC which had basically just been introduced.

Unless they dont work, any version would be great in urban fighting and would be welcomed.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Governments have been doing their own bans in addition to the EU-mandated ban on RT and Sputnik. Latvia has banned dozens of TV channels and news websites, for instance. Even kremlin.ru is banned.

Wow, Kremlin.Ru seems to be banned like... everywhere in Europe? It's not Latvia specific at all - I can't access it in either Switzerland or in the Western EU.

That all seems kind of nuts to me. I like the way that the US does deplatforming, but the EU way is doing this is... I dunno, sketchy. If you get a good telescope, you'd be able to see the edge of the slippery slope from here. Like, why is kremlin.ru blocked but I can go to sana.sy/fr and /en?

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Doccers posted:

Sudden Catastrophic Load Induced Disassembly. :D

Cabin overpressure valve

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Youth Decay posted:

Did someone say additional manufacturing jobs for made-in-USA products? Fuckin do it, Biden. We can send air conditioning units while we're at it, would probably save some lives during the now-annual record heat waves in Europe.

Please do, it was around 104F in my apartment for the 10 day heatwave last summer.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Youth Decay posted:

Heat pumps can work both ways, can't they? Like they pump the heat down when it's hot and up when it's not. I don't know how these work.

If the deep geothermal stuff takes off this could also be a precursor.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

John_A_Tallon posted:

You can always become a terrorist and do it yourself. All the adrenaline and serotonin of doing what you want without that pesky responsibility to Authority thing.

Seriously though don't become a terrorist.

Not terrorism, special infrastructure adjustment.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

Heat pumps can work both ways, can't they? Like they pump the heat down when it's hot and up when it's not. I don't know how these work.

If the deep geothermal stuff takes off this could also be a precursor.

Yes, Heat Pumps basically work a lot like an normal AC system but you can reverse which side is hot vs cold. Also: some can also provide hot water.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Right, and if they did that NATO has a way to de-escalate things in case Russia hit's Poland's bases, right?

No it would be immediate nuclear war. Please calm down with hypotheticals about improbable events.

Saladman posted:

Wow, Kremlin.Ru seems to be banned like... everywhere in Europe? It's not Latvia specific at all - I can't access it in either Switzerland or in the Western EU.

That all seems kind of nuts to me. I like the way that the US does deplatforming, but the EU way is doing this is... I dunno, sketchy. If you get a good telescope, you'd be able to see the edge of the slippery slope from here. Like, why is kremlin.ru blocked but I can go to sana.sy/fr and /en?

Syria isn’t really in the business of waging a noticeable information war against the EU.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 23, 2022

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Heat pumps are extremely cool and just as effective in gas assuming it doesn't get extremely cold and wet in winter

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tesseraction posted:

i would be interested in details on that

i know that american gas wells can be capped but it's not good for the well - you lose gas you're never getting back - but those are fracked wells and those might work differently

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

KitConstantine posted:

The Greek Minister of Foreign Affairs has apparently reached out to the Russians about his plan to accompany aid to Mariupol
https://twitter.com/NikosDendias/status/1506292909523537924?s=20&t=ibRW2JcWNy8wkL_el4c4Tw
Brave man. Interesting thing to keep an eye on

Mariupol has a big Greek population that’s been there for two centuries since they were forcibly moved there by a tsar from crimea where they were for several millennia. It’s legit a big issue in Greece that Putin’s war timing this city in particular.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Saladman posted:

That capability does not exist.

My packets drop after Rostelecom.

In other words: It's the Russians.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Yeah, it's not getting a warm reception, certainly. Stoltenberg, too, was asked whether it might be a good idea to create a coalition of the willing outside of the aegis of NATO at the presser today. And while he has observe the diplomatic niceties and not step on Poland's toes, he did probably come as close as to saying that it's *not* a viable or prudent idea as a guy in his position likely can imo:

"When it comes to forces – so NATO is not part of the conflict. We provide support to Ukraine, but we are not part of the conflict. We help Ukraine with upholding their right for self defence which is enshrined in the UN Charter. But NATO will not send troops into Ukraine. We have to understand that it is extremely important to provide support to Ukraine and we are stepping up, but at the same time it is also extremely important to prevent that this conflict becomes a full-fledged war between NATO and Russia. And therefore it has been a very clear message from NATO Allies that we will not send troops to Ukraine."

https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/opinions_193610.htm?selectedLocale=en

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

edit: nvm

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 23, 2022

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

As expected. This is an incredibly convenient, legal way to start loving Russia up in a politically defensible way. It’s very easy to legalspeak this into “they turned our gas off”.

What's up with Putin just becoming absolutely addicted to unforced errors.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

evilweasel posted:

i would be interested in details on that

i know that american gas wells can be capped but it's not good for the well - you lose gas you're never getting back - but those are fracked wells and those might work differently

Russia can vent the natural gas into the atmosphere losing all profit or sell it via pipeline to Europe those are the only two real options they have with it. There’s not infrastructure for capping or storage and no way to divert it to other markets. It’s also really important for Ukraine, they don’t want to kill any chance at future transit fees so it’s everyone’s interest to look the other way and let gas flow.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

KitConstantine posted:

Some coverage I've seen is that insurance rates for cargo in that area are skyrocketing, so it may become a moot point depending on what mechanisms companies have to absorb those increased costs.

In other news new map dropped
https://twitter.com/SimTack/status/1506683341344546818?s=20&t=IF3Awb1pTOZNfhoa88k3TQ
This account has been pretty conservative about Ukrainian gains in the past so it's a bit interesting to see their tone with regards to the Kyiv counterattacks.

Also one thing I noted - it appears Russia may not be picking one axis to bolster with reinforcements and may instead be doubling down on the 'attack everywhere' philosophy that put them in this position. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out since it would make a lot more sense to stick with reinforcing the marginally successful Donbas axis or shoring up the offensive towards/around Mykolaiv in order to push to Odesa.

IMO if troops are sent to Kyiv it would indicate that the reinforcements are prioritized by political not operational importance,

Terrain limits their choices. A road only supports so many vehicles at once, doubling the amount of troops/vehicles you send down one road just makes the traffic jam longer. And they've proven pretty efficiently that they are not capable of cross-country movement at this time of year down there.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

Theoretically one could clean it up and make it look like a fresh unit. But it's actually booby trapped. Same goes for ANY munitions left abandoned.

It's not so much of an issue if the ones deploying the weapons are advancing.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

KitConstantine posted:

Wonder if that ever screwed anyone else over during a major land invasion of Eastern Europe. Probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

GABA ghoul posted:

There are not enough LNG terminals in Europe nor enough LNG suppliers to really make a dent here. Something like half of Europe is as dependent on Russian gas as Germany or more, it's not a problem that can be solved quickly.

There is also a gas field that is already developed that is capable of supplying all of Europe that is in the process of being phased out, because extraction causes land subsidence and minor (<4.0) earthquakes. If there is serious risk of a really cold winter, I suspect that the Germans will just pay the Dutch to compensate damage to the people living in the area, and increase production in the field.