Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ZombieLenin posted:

No, for sure. It’s just some of the Russian apologists on Twitter keep saying, “no way you can get frostbite when it was 10 degrees all day in Ukraine yesterday!”

And also, people generally keep saying “no way its 50% of Russian soldiers, because that would mean 50% of Russian ground forces cannot fight anymore.”

I am just saying, if you are outside all day in below freezing temperatures you absolutely can still get frostbite even if its 15 to 20 degrees Fahrenheit outside; AND there are varying degrees of frostbite.

Meaning it is, in my brain, totally possible to have large numbers of troops get frostbite, but many are still able to walk around, point guns at things, and shoot people despite having a case of frostbite.
Perhaps they mean 10 degrees Celsius, which would be more like what, 50 degrees in Freedom? And granted that it may be pleasant enough during the day; it is much less so in the dark, especially when you have no heat or good tenting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

KitConstantine posted:

Wait east? Pushing back Russians east is new, isn't it? We've heard a bunch about stuff to the west but not the east as much
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1506725374369091588?s=20&t=u-tr-UsxSVE5xXTh73Vhww

Edit: I might be wrong, but I remember a lot of the conversation focusing on the west side of Kyiv and up towards Belarus by Chernobyl, feel free to correct me.

This is, of course, exactly Russia’s intent because as we know from Putin’s repeated statements, everything that’s happening in Ukraine is exactly as the Russian military planned it.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Djarum posted:

The US only has 18 SSBNs. Of which only about 6-8 are out at a time. You don't need a ton of SSBNs. There are 34 SSNs which you want a lot more of for both fleet defense and attacking enemy vessels.

Which the US has a lot more because they have a LOT of ocean just on their coasts to defend. You effectively need two entire Navy's to defend each coast compared to a small amount of area that France, the UK or others have to worry about.

France actually has the biggest Exclusive Economic Zone in the world, slightly bigger than the US :eng101:

In fact, thanks to its overseas territories, France is the country that covers the most timezones (12) :france:

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Drone_Fragger posted:

Looks like a catastrophic ammo explosion. Russian tanks are fairly notorious for using autoloaders that requires the ammo be stored much less securely than NATO vehicles but let's them fire like 30% faster and not need a gunner. But means a good hit will cause the entire thing to explode.

couple things on that- it actually makes the tanks fire slower than a human loader, (russian autoloaders use two piece ammunitions, we use single piece ammo with cases that burn up during firing, only the endcap remains and just gets plopped out of the breech as I recall, and the ergonomics of loading out of the ammo bin into the breach for the Abrams is fairly well layed out and practiced) BUT, it allows the tanks to be much smaller and lighter as you only need 2 in the turret rather than 3 (Commander/Gunner, vs Commander/Gunner/Loader), and neither need to be standing.

But yes, the open carousel storage is very very vulnerable to uh... high energy events.

In western tanks like the Abrams, typically all the ammo is stored in a bustle on the back of the turret, with an armored door that slides open to provide access, and blowout panels on top of the ammo storage compartment, so that if something DOES ignite the ammunition, it booms upwards, and not into the crew compartment. Tank will still be pretty hosed up tho, but the crew should be ... well OK may not be the best word but "will continue breathing".

Doccers fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 23, 2022

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Jesus Christ, Europe.

I work in chemicals and I'm seeing this.

Natural gas can be used to produce propylene or ethylene both of which are a building block for all kinds of chemicals. The European chemical industry makes extensive use of it in solvents and other products.

US domestic chemical companies like DOW, Eastman, Lyondell etc are all basically working at capacity and demand is far outstripping what they can produce. European imports definitely factor into this framework.

No one is safe. A lot of these markets are global and taking European production off the table causes massive price shockwave and also leads to opportunistic exporting by US producers who can get better netbacks in Europe than in North America which then tightens supply everywhere else.

EDIT: We are already experiencing unprecedented logistics, energy and chemical prices due to the pandemic and now it's going to get worse.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 23, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

KitConstantine posted:

Wait east? Pushing back Russians east is new, isn't it? We've heard a bunch about stuff to the west but not the east as much

Edit: I might be wrong, but I remember a lot of the conversation focusing on the west side of Kyiv and up towards Belarus by Chernobyl, feel free to correct me.

There's been fighting on both ends. The advance in the East is always the one that looked the most tenuous so I wouldn't be surprised if this were actually a deliberate withdrawl (with some prodding).

Although with the Ukanians capturing EWAR stuff they really have no right getting within 50km of on the ground I also wouldn't be surprised if it turns out these counter-attacks are catching Russian formations with no fuel available to go anywhere.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 23, 2022

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what
The caller said 50% of their unit got frostbite, not the entire russian army. It was a personal call and there was probably some exaggeration. If your platoon has 30 guys and 8 of them has some tissue damage on their ears or fingers that's already 25% of them. It shouldn't be that hard to understand this but I guess this is a rocket science level stuff for a small group of people on the internet.

Also you can always google temperature records, but this is also apparently a difficult task.

Flagellum fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 23, 2022

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Morrow posted:

Who could have guessed that creating a massive global integrated supply chain where a critical dependency was one or more autocratic petrostates would eventually cause serious issues?

This whole war and the goddamn pandemic should have taught us that outsorcing and spreading out the supply chain on four continents is neither eco friendly or safe just from a supply side.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Alchenar posted:

And just to loop back to what started it off: France has put 3/4 of its subs to sea.
After reading the article (in French), it's only temporary: they sped up the maintenance on the third one, so they can relieve the first one.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Flagellum posted:

The caller said 50% of their unit got frostbite, not the entire russian army. It was a personal call and there was probably some exaggeration. If your platoon has 30 guys and 8 of them has some tissue damage on their ears or fingers that's already 25% of them. It shouldn't be thst hard to understand this but I guess this is a rocket science level stuff for a small group of people on the internet.

Ya this is the "Ukraine and Russia begin peace talks" when the story is, "two ministers met in Belarus, exchanged some papers."

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

This whole war and the goddamn pandemic should have taught us that outsorcing and spreading out the supply chain on four continents is neither eco friendly or safe just from a supply side.

This is what happens when you make MBA's a prerequisite for management decisions instead of promoting management and executives from within the ranks of the company's functional units.
We have a shareholder culture that does not care about the operational needs of a company and just wants to see the number go up no matter what, so we built a fragile global logistics system that doesn't work anymore.

By the way, nobody at the C-Suite level thinks we should go back to having big warehouses and inventory stockpiles. We're still trying to keep inventories razor thin and selling everything we produce within a 2-3 month period and if you don't you get nagged about working capital.
Nothing has changed. Nobody is actually doing anything about the supply chain problems. They're continuing to try and operate as if it's 2019 only they're raising prices and enduring stock-outs in the process.

We should be firing everyone who runs big companies and replacing them with people who have actual experience and knowledge about what a business really needs to operate effectively. Because the bean counters are not prepared or fit for purpose in a world where absolute profits and small inventory are not the only consideration anymore.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Nessus posted:

Perhaps they mean 10 degrees Celsius, which would be more like what, 50 degrees in Freedom? And granted that it may be pleasant enough during the day; it is much less so in the dark, especially when you have no heat or good tenting.

In Hungary last night we had -9.7C and +19.8C during the day, at the same location. That's basically a t-shirt weather during the day, and hypothermia during the night. If northern Ukraine is having similar things going on these days, that's rather unpleasant.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Uhhhh how did CNN get this readout? This seems unusual - again, correct me if I'm wrong
https://twitter.com/jeremyherb/status/1506728802054983683?s=20&t=zJG0a4vUZAOV8DyEfegeXg
Article: https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/23/politics/us-russia-general-meeting/index.html

quote:

A rare face-to-face meeting between Russian and US military officials last week led to an "outburst" of emotion from a normally stoic Russian general, a "revealing moment" that the Americans present believe hinted at larger morale problems in Russia's military, according to a closely held US military readout of what transpired.

The meeting, held at the Russian ministry of defense in Moscow, is a rare instance of Russian and American defense officials sitting down in person since Russia invaded Ukraine on February 24. The readout describes the meeting as tense, with visible signs of stress on the Russian side.

It makes particular note of the behavior of Russian Major General Yevgeny Ilyin, deputy chief of the main directorate of international cooperation who has a long track record of dealing with American officials. In a break from typical practice, Ilyin spoke with no notes or set talking points, according to the readout.
As the meeting was breaking up, one US defense attaché "casually inquired" about Ilyin's family roots in Ukraine, and the Russian general's "stoic demeanor suddenly became flushed and agitated," according to the readout. The Americans reported Ilyin responded "yes," and said that he was born in Dnipropetrovsk before moving with his family moving to Donetsk, where he went to school.
But the US officials reported Ilyin then added that the current situation in Ukraine is "tragic and I am very depressed over it" -- and then he walked out without shaking hands, according to the readout.
The US team had the sense, according to the readout, that Ilyin stopped just short of accusing US and Ukraine of atrocities against his family. It's not clear what specifically caused them to reach that conclusion, but one of the attachés said, "The fire in his eyes and flustered demeanor left a chill down the spine."
The readout said one of the attaché's jaw dropped, and both Americans reported they had never "witnessed such an outburst by Russian counterparts at an official meeting."

The whole thing is worth a read as a behind-the-scenes peek at some high-stakes poo poo

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

In Hungary last night we had -9.7C and +19.8C during the day, at the same location. That's basically a t-shirt weather during the day, and hypothermia during the night. If northern Ukraine is having similar things going on these days, that's rather unpleasant.

And assuming the Russian troops are well equipped (lol), they are wearing steeltoes and basic socks. If you do not remove your boots/socks often in the field, its easy to get some nasty stuff on your feet. And steeltoes/composite toe shoes tend to keep your toes colder than normal in cold weather.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Kraftwerk posted:

This is what happens when you make MBA's a prerequisite for management decisions instead of promoting management and executives from within the ranks of the company's functional units.
We have a shareholder culture that does not care about the operational needs of a company and just wants to see the number go up no matter what, so we built a fragile global logistics system that doesn't work anymore.

By the way, nobody at the C-Suite level thinks we should go back to having big warehouses and inventory stockpiles. We're still trying to keep inventories razor thin and selling everything we produce within a 2-3 month period and if you don't you get nagged about working capital.
Nothing has changed. Nobody is actually doing anything about the supply chain problems. They're continuing to try and operate as if it's 2019 only they're raising prices and enduring stock-outs in the process.

We should be firing everyone who runs big companies and replacing them with people who have actual experience and knowledge about what a business really needs to operate effectively. Because the bean counters are not prepared or fit for purpose in a world where absolute profits and small inventory are not the only consideration anymore.

You are 1000% correct. You have a bunch of Chicago School jackasses running everything only worried about the next quarter because that is all they know how to do. They have never had to work through a real crisis or worse a massive world before COVID and they all are delusional thinking it won't happen again.

Everyone company that is smart at the very least should be moving their critical supply chains out of Asia in general and try their best to minimize international shipping in general. These things are only going to get worse, not better.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

IIRC the UK also technically has that, but it's only used for the most illegal parts of internet.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

Yes, that's what I said. Naturally we're ambiguous if they actually have nuclear warheads for their Tomahawks.

All Navy Tomahawks have conventional warheads. Somebody in the Trump administration was pushing to restore nuclear capability to the Tomahawk, but I'm not sure how far that went. Nobody in the Navy wants that, an attack sub carrying nukes will require additional training and safeguards for handling the weapons, and the crews are already busy enough with their regular missions.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

Ya this is the "Ukraine and Russia begin peace talks" when the story is, "two ministers met in Belarus, exchanged some papers."

Yeah, if you speak to a soldier and they say "it's bloody freezing out here, half our squad's getting frostbite" they probably don't literally mean half.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

but changing this will make number go down

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ZombieLenin posted:

No, for sure. It’s just some of the Russian apologists on Twitter keep saying, “no way you can get frostbite when it was 10 degrees all day in Ukraine yesterday!”

And also, people generally keep saying “no way its 50% of Russian soldiers, because that would mean 50% of Russian ground forces cannot fight anymore.”

depending on how "frostbite" is translated, they could be talking about trench foot, which is just as likely for troops living outside in the cold and damp with hosed up supplies and no real opportunity to take care of their feet. trench foot can quickly gently caress up groups of people living in exposed conditions who don't or aren't able to practice proper self care. you can easily get trench foot even if the temps remain above freezing most of the time, just cold enough and wet enough over long enough will do the job

warning: pictures of hosed up feet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trench_foot

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

On Poland being stupid: So the saving grace is that their bluster is for domestic consumption and they certainly aren't gonna go in alone, preferring to fortify themselves and prevent any bullshit.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

This is, of course, exactly Russia’s intent because as we know from Putin’s repeated statements, everything that’s happening in Ukraine is exactly as the Russian military planned it.

Yep the Emperor totally planned for 2 Death Stars to get blown up and have himself chucked down a space well to his death

I really, really want these Ukrainian counter-offensives to keep rolling Russia back. They will continue to lose cities in the south, but if Putin can't touch Kyiv then he will never be able to maintain any hold over the south, Ukraine will take it all back eventually if they maintain a northern counter-offensive.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Djarum posted:

You are 1000% correct. You have a bunch of Chicago School jackasses running everything only worried about the next quarter because that is all they know how to do. They have never had to work through a real crisis or worse a massive world before COVID and they all are delusional thinking it won't happen again.

Everyone company that is smart at the very least should be moving their critical supply chains out of Asia in general and try their best to minimize international shipping in general. These things are only going to get worse, not better.

There is only one domestic producer of TBAC in all of America and they're fully sold out for the entire year. All of North America's TBAC supply comes from Chinese producers where the Chinese government was subsidizing it for years..
To give you an idea of the price difference, it's like 0.50/lb USD more to get it domestically compared to China in some cases. Even if you tried to invest in more domestic capacity, everyone thinks by the time it comes online, the logistics and supply crisis will end and China will go back to undercutting your profits in such a way where all your investment was for naught.

So now the only place you can get products like TBAC are China... nowhere else... And its a key ingredient in a lot of materials including stuff used in construction and concrete. China has so many non-sexy but strategic chemical materials that they have us by the balls.

Also should note that isotanks and containers for stuff like this frequently get unloaded from the ship that was going to ferry it over to the west coast on a whim because someone showed up with cash and paid off the shipping company to ship something lighter, less hazardous and more valuiable than your stuff.. So none of it is arriving on time and is often months delayed... then it hits the ports where it's stuck and you as a company often get forced by the Chinese to assume responsibility for any extra detention costs for their container or isotank. These costs can sometimes get as high as 20,000 USD. on top of 20,000 USD freight. But people will insist, and you can't stop bringing it in.... I've gained more grey hairs and had so much stress doing my job the last 2 years and current events have made it much worse. I'm living and breathing the supply chain crisis on a daily basis.

These Chicago school jackasses give zero shits about our national security, about having certain products be subsidized and produced here rather than letting China run the show.... and its loving things up really badly with zero political or economic will to do anything about it. Everyone's just burying their heads in the sand and hoping this will all go away so they can go back to exploiting cheap rear end material from China again.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

KitConstantine posted:

Uhhhh how did CNN get this readout? This seems unusual - again, correct me if I'm wrong
https://twitter.com/jeremyherb/status/1506728802054983683?s=20&t=zJG0a4vUZAOV8DyEfegeXg
Article: https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/23/politics/us-russia-general-meeting/index.html

The whole thing is worth a read as a behind-the-scenes peek at some high-stakes poo poo

Huh. Wonder what made them think he "stopped just short of accusing US and Ukraine of atrocities against his family"? It doesn't seem like the most straightforward read of the situation, but I suppose they were there.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That's a massive loving explosion, yikes!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Huh. Wonder what made them think he "stopped just short of accusing US and Ukraine of atrocities against his family"? It doesn't seem like the most straightforward read of the situation, but I suppose they were there.

Maybe he felt the invasion would have been a bloodless cakewalk if it wasn't for the US and NATO supplying Ukraine with weapons and passing sanctions. (I'm sure it's easier to live with yourself when you twist causation chains that way.)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bubbacub posted:

All Navy Tomahawks have conventional warheads. Somebody in the Trump administration was pushing to restore nuclear capability to the Tomahawk, but I'm not sure how far that went. Nobody in the Navy wants that, an attack sub carrying nukes will require additional training and safeguards for handling the weapons, and the crews are already busy enough with their regular missions.

Yeah, iirc George H.W. Bush pulled the Tomahawks and a bunch of non strategic nukes in 1991. Although I saw a Wikipedia saying they weren’t retired till 2008-2010. Perhaps they were just in storage vs dismantled.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Orthanc6 posted:

Yep the Emperor totally planned for 2 Death Stars to get blown up and have himself chucked down a space well to his death

I really, really want these Ukrainian counter-offensives to keep rolling Russia back. They will continue to lose cities in the south, but if Putin can't touch Kyiv then he will never be able to maintain any hold over the south, Ukraine will take it all back eventually if they maintain a northern counter-offensive.

Well you see Russia planned to be pushed out Kyiv multiple times in 4 weeks and take one city in the South. How dare you doubt Vova's genius?

People need to stop assuming you have to be super smart to be able to run a country or be a dictator. You don't at all. Look at Trump. You just have to be charismatic enough to the right segment of people and manipulate your way upwards, and have the will to do heinous poo poo and flunkies who will carry it out.

Putin's not some brilliant mastermind puppeteering a perfect police state: he's an egomanical doofus who killed all his competition and is paranoid as hell, surrounded by Yes-men. He got the right people into positions of power, and he may be good at espionage and information warfare, but he's utterly out of his depth on military matters and we are all just seeing it now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yeah, iirc George H.W. Bush pulled the Tomahawks and a bunch of non strategic nukes in 1991. Although I saw a Wikipedia saying they weren’t retired till 2008-2010. Perhaps they were just in storage vs dismantled.

The issue with most nuclear warheads is the tritium gas which had to refilled and checked every few years, and is critical for a 'boosted' device like most nuclear weapons have. Most of the other stuff inside is good for at least a few decades.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Grouchio posted:

On Poland being stupid: So the saving grace is that their bluster is for domestic consumption and they certainly aren't gonna go in alone, preferring to fortify themselves and prevent any bullshit.

There's a bunch of theories going around. It often looks like central government doesn't give a gently caress about Ukraine, and is just forced to act because of massive popular demand, and to back up their earlier loud claims.
It is certainly true that vast majority of help for refugees comes from local government and volunteers.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Marshal Prolapse posted:

The naval nuclear Tomahawks were decommissioned in 2010-2013. The ones scrapped at the end of the cold war to comply with the INF treaty were the ground launched nuclear Tomahawks, which were mounted and fired four at a time from a big ol' truck launcher.

The INF treaty only applied to land based missiles not air or sea launched ones.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Kraftwerk posted:

There is only one domestic producer of TBAC in all of America and they're fully sold out for the entire year. All of North America's TBAC supply comes from Chinese producers where the Chinese government was subsidizing it for years..
To give you an idea of the price difference, it's like 0.50/lb USD more to get it domestically compared to China in some cases. Even if you tried to invest in more domestic capacity, everyone thinks by the time it comes online, the logistics and supply crisis will end and China will go back to undercutting your profits in such a way where all your investment was for naught.

So now the only place you can get products like TBAC are China... nowhere else... And its a key ingredient in a lot of materials including stuff used in construction and concrete. China has so many non-sexy but strategic chemical materials that they have us by the balls.

Also should note that isotanks and containers for stuff like this frequently get unloaded from the ship that was going to ferry it over to the west coast on a whim because someone showed up with cash and paid off the shipping company to ship something lighter, less hazardous and more valuiable than your stuff.. So none of it is arriving on time and is often months delayed... then it hits the ports where it's stuck and you as a company often get forced by the Chinese to assume responsibility for any extra detention costs for their container or isotank. These costs can sometimes get as high as 20,000 USD. on top of 20,000 USD freight. But people will insist, and you can't stop bringing it in.... I've gained more grey hairs and had so much stress doing my job the last 2 years and current events have made it much worse. I'm living and breathing the supply chain crisis on a daily basis.

These Chicago school jackasses give zero shits about our national security, about having certain products be subsidized and produced here rather than letting China run the show.... and its loving things up really badly with zero political or economic will to do anything about it. Everyone's just burying their heads in the sand and hoping this will all go away so they can go back to exploiting cheap rear end material from China again.

You are singing to the choir my friend. There are some industries are the divesting of China after learning lessons from COVID but not enough. There are going to be a LOT of business that will have a bad time in the near future. There are some political talk about it too but there are enough yet to make any headway. Supply chains aren't going to get any better so at a certain point you are hopefully going to see people make hard choices.

Really we need to go back to Keynesian economics in general but that is moving far into another subject that we are already veering off.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

of all the loving WWII bombings of civilian cities to chose from...

https://twitter.com/verkhovna_rada/status/1506667741406973953

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The naval nuclear Tomahawks were decommissioned in 2010-2013. The ones scrapped at the end of the cold war to comply with the INF treaty were the ground launched nuclear Tomahawks, which were mounted and fired four at a time from a big ol' truck launcher.

The INF treaty only applied to land based missiles not air or sea launched ones.

See I’m finding conflicting info.

https://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/pniglance#:~:text=27%2C%201991%2C%20Bush%20announced%20a,of%20the%20same%20weapons%3B%20and

The GLCMs are clearly INF, but he also did some sea based stuff.

quote:

U.S. Presidential Nuclear Initiatives:

On Sept. 27, 1991, Bush announced a raft of unilateral initiatives to limit and reduce the U.S. tactical nuclear weapons arsenal. Specifically, he pledged to:

withdraw to the United States all ground-launched short-range weapons deployed overseas and destroy them along with existing U.S. stockpiles of the same weapons; and
cease deployment of tactical nuclear weapons on surface ships, attack submarines, and land-based naval aircraft during “normal circumstances.” Implicitly, the United States reserved the right to redeploy these arms in a crisis.

This probably explains the confusion, I took with Straub to mean dismantling, when it’s clear reading over it they must’ve just been placed in the storage and serviced until that time around 2010, which would jive with commies comments.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
For what it's worth, the vast, vast majority of industrial gas is used in combined heating and power, not as a chemical ingredient. And residential usage is a fairly minor component as well, constituting perhaps 15% of overall consumption. The IEA has a 10-point plan for reducing European Union gas imports by more than 50 billion cu meters / 155 billion cu m (over a third reduction) within a year by finding alternative gas sources and accelerating existing investment in renewables and efficiency. That plan would jump to 80 billion cu m if fuel switching (mostly to coal or oil) is considered.

And this is all while filling European gas storage to the brim, and not inflicting any particular economic pain. So even without considering any "third-rail" options like reopening Groningen gas field, re-activating European nuclear plants, rationing gas usage, or redirecting LNG exports, there's ample opportunity for significantly decreasing European need for Russian fossil fuels.

https://www.iea.org/news/how-europe-can-cut-natural-gas-imports-from-russia-significantly-within-a-year

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/germany-could-replace-half-its-imported-russian-gas-this-year-industry-group-2022-03-18/

Kaal fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 23, 2022

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Djarum posted:

You are singing to the choir my friend. There are some industries are the divesting of China after learning lessons from COVID but not enough. There are going to be a LOT of business that will have a bad time in the near future. There are some political talk about it too but there are enough yet to make any headway. Supply chains aren't going to get any better so at a certain point you are hopefully going to see people make hard choices.

Really we need to go back to Keynesian economics in general but that is moving far into another subject that we are already veering off.

So what you are saying is that Russia is going to be strengthened by getting rid of trade with the world?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Electric Wrigglies posted:

So what you are saying is that Russia is going to be strengthened by getting rid of trade with the world?
The idea, I think, is that it will be better to make logistical chains more redundant and less distributed even if it makes costs somewhat higher, due to our exciting recent observation of the massive downsides, including the fact that when things gently caress up, you haven't necessarily saved money in the end.

This is somewhat different from national autarky. It would still make sense to ship around raw materials and finished parts in many cases, just perhaps not so casually that you end up with a four-continent production chain for essentials of life.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FishBulbia posted:

of all the loving WWII bombings of civilian cities to chose from...

https://twitter.com/verkhovna_rada/status/1506667741406973953

Not all of us are WWII history nerds. Could we get an explainer?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

I mean it quite literally. The EU cannot selectively block access to websites. It's simply not technology that exists, and there's no legal framework for it.

Some member states have infrastructure (technical and legal) to order ISPs to mess with DNS, but that is wildly ineffective. Some member states may have ability to screw around with connections to certain IP addresses, but I don't know of any and that would be playing with fire.

I mean, maybe we're just talking about different things? What I see on RT.com is:

I would call that "that website is selectively blocked". Maybe in IT there is some super technical term, but I, and I think most people, would consider that to a a "blocked website". When I go to the IP address of rt.com, http://195.218.24.170/ I get exactly the same message. It's also not an ISP thing; I get the same message right now when connected with my laptop (no idea who the ISP is) and with my phone – and I just switched my phone to try all 3 providers within range, all exactly the same message - it's clearly national here. I'm on a Swiss SIM and roaming here in Luxembourg right now too.

True it's not "the EU" it's "an EU country" but when every single EU country is doing it + Switzerland, Liechtenstein, UK, etc, then it might as well be "the EU".

It is also not trivial to get around. For instance, rt.com is also blocked on https://www.proxysite.com/. Maybe there is some other proxy that can be used, but I'd have to dick around with it for more time than I care to to access some lovely Russian propaganda.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

KillHour posted:

Not all of us are WWII history nerds. Could we get an explainer?

They're comparing the shelling of Kharkhiv to the firebombing of Hamburg during WW2. While this was a war crime, using a Nazi ruled city as an example of why Ukraine needs help is bad optics when Russia's war goals are explicitly stated as "denazification".