Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They call that midlands.

Japan doing anything is Clancychat as gently caress.

Hence the “well besides Japan.” lol

That said in General Sir John Hackett’s Third World War, features Japan getting the islands back after a Soviet disintegration, after Minsk is nuked, in retaliation for Birmingham getting nuked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I guess I’m just trying to think of areas, well besides Japan, that Russia has border issues with or Russia has (practical) control of a state, that could be considered tenuous at best.

The problem with trying to resolve border issues with Russia by force is: How are you going to enforce your terms? Nobody's capable of marching on Moscow short of NATO, so outright total victory is out of the question. You can try to seize and occupy the areas you think you should own, but eventually Russia is going to come back for you. Ukraine is one of the strongest of Russia's border states and even with massive Western support it's barely holding its own. Which of Russia's border states think they can do better than Ukraine when the Eye of Putin turns to focus on them? And who can be sure they will have a backer willing to guarantee their protection even if they launch an offensive war?

Russia is going to need to be doing way, way worse than they're currently doing before any of their border states seriously start contemplating a war with them.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

OddObserver posted:

Azerbaijan and Russia are also reasonably friendly.
They were on better terms than Russia's friendship with Armenia in recent years as . I say "were" since Az crossed the line of contact, I would assume, would complicate things with the Kremlin.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Tomn posted:

The problem with trying to resolve border issues with Russia by force is: How are you going to enforce your terms? Nobody's capable of marching on Moscow short of NATO, so outright total victory is out of the question. You can try to seize and occupy the areas you think you should own, but eventually Russia is going to come back for you. Ukraine is one of the strongest of Russia's border states and even with massive Western support it's barely holding its own. Which of Russia's border states think they can do better than Ukraine when the Eye of Putin turns to focus on them? And who can be sure they will have a backer willing to guarantee their protection even if they launch an offensive war?

Russia is going to need to be doing way, way worse than they're currently doing before any of their border states seriously start contemplating a war with them.

Ukraine in 2014 was one of the weakest militaries on the border of Russia and Russia couldn't even take mariupol then. Ukraine literally had ~5000 combat ready forces in 2014.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Oligarch Engineer who tried to sink the yacht joins the armed forces

https://mobile.twitter.com/ua_industrial/status/1507481335388123136

That US guy is crowdfunding to buy gear for his unit, I won’t directly link to it but it’s out there.

https://mobile.twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1507442012508897281

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Tomn posted:

I assume you'd fortify the gently caress out of the disputed area and make it too expensive for Russia to reclaim.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Fill Baptismal posted:

I mean all’s fair in warfare but Jesus that’s loving ruthless. Imaging hearing your son was dead from the people that killed him.

It’s a lot better than never finding out.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Look at this beauty of a battle - a good example of home field advantage and country identity defense

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Aljubarrota

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/polijunkie_aus/status/1507443852407623680

I especially like "2014 年后做了一系列非理性的对外政策 ; 仇视俄罗斯," - Ukraine is at fault for irrationally failing to respond to 2014 by humbling oneself before Russia, as we know any defeated country should

It's always the case that 理性 (rationality) occupies a flexible space in contemporary Chinese discourse but this one is especially oblivious

ronya fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 26, 2022

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

ronya posted:

I especially like "2014 年后做了一系列非理性的对外政策 ; 仇视俄罗斯," - Ukraine is at fault for irrationally failing to respond to 2014 by humbling oneself before Russia, as we know any defeated country should

It's always the case that 理性 (rationality) occupies a flexible space in contemporary Chinese discourse but this one is especially oblivious
Terrifying. It would be nice if our governments would learn from this war that you cannot simply ignore this kind of inwards propaganda just because trade runs smoothly.

true.spoon fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 26, 2022

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

drat,

So much for China maintaining neutrality.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Caros posted:

Take these seeds. Put them in your tank turret so flowers will grow in Ukraine when it explodes.

That sunflower old lady got a place on horror campfire stories for future generations of russians.
She became a Baba Yaga.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Give CNN a sixer for posting gimmick infringement

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Houthi rebels launched a missile at an Aramco oil facility in Jeddah during F1 weekend there. Not directly related to Ukraine except for this growing feeling that poo poo is starting to pop off all over.

ronya posted:

That's really disturbing. How loving wrong about everything can you be.

I don't really get it. China is clearly still sitting the fence more than purely picking Russia, but to me it's a really obvious choice (for the advancement of China, not morally or anything this is China we're talking about) to stand with Ukraine.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Play posted:

I don't really get it. China is clearly still sitting the fence more than purely picking Russia, but to me it's a really obvious choice (for the advancement of China, not morally or anything this is China we're talking about) to stand with Ukraine.

Maybe it's some really bad gambler logic.

"Pretty much everyone is putting their money on Ukraine. So if we go in on Russia and they do win, we'll make out like bandits!"

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Tanks and armored vehicles getting hammered by artillery barrage. :nms:
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1507317884380459009

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

true.spoon posted:

Terrifying. It would be nice if our governments would learn from this war that you cannot simply ignore this kind of inwards propaganda just because trade runs smoothly.

The west should really be preparing to survive in the future without trade with China.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Play posted:

Houthi rebels launched a missile at an Aramco oil facility in Jeddah during F1 weekend there. Not directly related to Ukraine except for this growing feeling that poo poo is starting to pop off all over.

From what I've read from posters in the China D&D thread, what the China's international policies and actions are often not directly connected to the propaganda that they are doing internally.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

The Question IRL posted:

Maybe it's some really bad gambler logic.

"Pretty much everyone is putting their money on Ukraine. So if we go in on Russia and they do win, we'll make out like bandits!"

Nah, China wants to do the same poo poo one day and get away with it, so it'll push back on any consequences Russia seems to be taking or any perception that their actions are wrong. Just about that simple really.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Mulva posted:

Nah, China wants to do the same poo poo one day and get away with it, so it'll push back on any consequences Russia seems to be taking or any perception that their actions are wrong. Just about that simple really.

Yes. China's worldview (well, their leaders anyway) is that autocracy is the way to go, and that democracy and individual liberties are bad. They're basically on the same path as Russia, and the West would be foolish to ignore it. You can't just watch them brainwash their population into thinking that Europe and the US are the great satan and think that won't have big consequences down the road.

The human rights violations they (or any country really) are doing should no longer be ignored because it will only get worse, right up to the point they do their own Ukraine.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

uXs posted:

The human rights violations they (or any country really) are doing should no longer be ignored because it will only get worse, right up to the point they do their own Ukraine.

Tibet & the uighurs?

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Orban's and Rogan's faces on the NATO summit where the decision was made to send more NATO troops to Hungary. (Rogan is the Minister of the Prime Minister's Cabinet Office, we just casually call him the Minister of Propaganda)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

If you take a closer look at the third photo there's graffiti "Glory to Ukraine! Viva Belarus!" on a wall. :cool::ukraine::hf::belarus:

Young Freud posted:

Apparently General Dmitry Vitalyevich Bulgakov has been made the acting Minister of Defense.
https://twitter.com/SputnikATO/status/1507459706335674372?s=20&t=y9A3R64P99MJaBFUwydG7A

gently caress this guy, there can only be one Bulgakov in my heart.

Mikhail Bulgakov posted:

“To struggle against censorship, whatever its nature, and whatever the power under which it exists, is my duty as a writer, as are calls for freedom of the press. I am a passionate supporter of that freedom, and I consider that if any writer were to imagine that he could prove he didn't need that freedom, then he would be like a fish affirming in public that it didn't need water.”

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

Tanks and armored vehicles getting hammered by artillery barrage. :nms:
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1507317884380459009

I feel sorry for the poor trees in that video, I see why you’ve tagged it as NMS. Hopefully next time it can happen in a barren parking lot so that no innocent plants lose their lives.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Regarding the blaming of Germany when other countries also have russian gas dependencies and are happy to let the germans take the flak, there's also a pretty long history of Germany-backed austerity imposed on various EU countries with economic troubles. So there's a popular lack of sympathy for Germany having to "take one for the team" from places like Greece or Ireland to name but two. Not that each countries issues are directly comparable, so it might be a bit unfair, but when you took years of pay cuts, increased taxes, unemployment, reduction in public services and pensions, there's a degree of schadenfreude involved.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Russia making some advances.

https://twitter.com/MarQs__/status/1507642606536253440?s=20&t=opo_BEThPKNSs6jf0YXkqg

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Has anyone heard of Alexander Dugin? He's this fascist thinker who is close to Putin. He thinks Russia should conquer Europe to establish a Eurasian empire that can challenge American hegemony. He is quite mad.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1507634022993866758
Finally something. He mentions 2 days old laws changes towards the end of it.

https://twitter.com/kevinrothrock/status/1507653091579019265

https://twitter.com/iaponomarenko/status/1507491206300938241
Interesting tweet.

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1507657902445768705
Sure.

https://twitter.com/osintua/status/1507641433251065859

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Isn't that literally on the Russian border? I would have thought they should have been there for weeks.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kurzon posted:

Has anyone heard of Alexander Dugin? He's this fascist thinker who is close to Putin. He thinks Russia should conquer Europe to establish a Eurasian empire that can challenge American hegemony. He is quite mad.

He’s been mentioned several hundreds of times here, yes.

Slightly inaccurate tweet. Slavutych is in Kyiv oblast, close to Belarus border - about 200km north of Kyiv.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Play posted:

china's power has be so centralized that it is under one man rule and this means government policy will reflect this one man's hang-ups, emotions and obsessions

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Isn't that literally on the Russian border? I would have thought they should have been there for weeks.

Think the maps of the invasion which showed the road russia had taken showed it best. Seems they were trying to go fast and hard. Even if a towns on the boarder it may not make much sense to try and take it if it's not really furthering any of your goals, or isn't like to hinder them. Ukraine's a pretty large country and trying to take every town was never going to happen. Obviously this brings up broader points how loving stupid it was to try and invade in the first place, but skipping on taking even some easier to take places because it didn't really get them anything is probably one of the smarter thing they could do, just floating ther in the midst of a sea of stupidity.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yes it is. Well Belarus border which is the same thing for purposes of invasion.

I wonder if there are any efforts to get javelins or other AT stuff or IEDs behind enemy lines. We need to be loving their poo poo up everywhere.

dr_rat posted:

Think the maps of the invasion which showed the road russia had taken showed it best. Seems they were trying to go fast and hard. Even if a towns on the boarder it may not make much sense to try and take it if it's not really furthering any of your goals, or isn't like to hinder them. Ukraine's a pretty large country and trying to take every town was never going to happen. Obviously this brings up broader points how loving stupid it was to try and invade in the first place, but skipping on taking even some easier to take places because it didn't really get them anything is probably one of the smarter thing they could do, just floating ther in the midst of a sea of stupidity.

Yeah of course, this town serves no strategic use. But it's also not much of an advance either.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

mobby_6kl posted:

I wonder if there are any efforts to get javelins or other AT stuff or IEDs behind enemy lines. We need to be loving their poo poo up everywhere.

I think UAF have been penetrating the lines with smaller units since day one.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

He’s been mentioned several hundreds of times here, yes
Hopefully after this war is over he will re-evaluate how wrong he is about a possible Russian future controlling the Eurasian landmass. Or better yet get drafted into the Russian armed forces and die for his toxic beliefs.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
China laying groundwork to support imperialism and imperialist expansion in areas that growing powers feel is "their" territory is just self-interest. Russia should be entitled to a sphere of influence because it a) doesn't interfere with China's and b) China feels that China should have it's own sphere.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Hence the “well besides Japan.” lol

That said in General Sir John Hackett’s Third World War, features Japan getting the islands back after a Soviet disintegration, after Minsk is nuked, in retaliation for Birmingham getting nuked.

Huh. I think those were the same cities that got nuked in Team Yankee, a novel about a hypothetical WW3 from the perspective of a US company commander.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
Dugin will not change his views, because he is a revanchist-minded neo-imperialist writing about his fantasies of Russian boys dying in Eastern European fields from the comfort of his home somewhere in Moscow.

But frankly Dugin's influence is way overstated IMO, and I say that as someone from Finland, and Dugin called for splitting Finland into two in his famous book. Suggesting that hey, removing US/UK influence from Europe would benefit Russia is not some kind of stroke of strategic genius on his part. I daresay the ship has probably sailed on turning China into a Russian vassal or splitting it into pieces or whatever it was that he wanted to do. "Eurasian" thinking runs much deeper in the annals of Russian slavophile thinking than before tovarish Dugin suggested it in 1998. Frankly reducing all of Russia's foreign policy strategy into some master plan dreamed up by one man is ridiculous, many of Dugin's thoughts from 1998 are to this day widely held beliefs among Russian intelligentsia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I was gonna say that this Dugin fellow sounds just like the guy that wrote 'Foundations of Geopolitics' which is universally considered to be an instruction manual of sorts for the Kremlin. Turns out it's actually Dugin

Whatever his perceived influence is, he comes across as incredibly dangerous and unhinged