Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

kid sinister posted:

Dublin Airport, ladies and gentlemen.

So, fun fact.

In our goods receiving section, one of the back walls is like this, just a thin layer of plaster board... on the other side of which are all the relays and electrical cabinets for the entire warehouse. Every couple of years they have to rebuild half the wall because forklifts keep slamming holes in it, and it's really just a matter of time before some jackass smashes the forks right through the cabinets on the other side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Cat Hatter posted:

Is Grover building a new house?

I'll bet those columns are insulated.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

PurpleXVI posted:

So, fun fact.

In our goods receiving section, one of the back walls is like this, just a thin layer of plaster board... on the other side of which are all the relays and electrical cabinets for the entire warehouse. Every couple of years they have to rebuild half the wall because forklifts keep slamming holes in it, and it's really just a matter of time before some jackass smashes the forks right through the cabinets on the other side.

At the old office of one of the branches I do work for, the warehouse "supervisor" put a 3" aluminum post through the warehouse wall into the office with a forklift. I could stick my head through the hole.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

HolHorsejob posted:

Big "pickup/dropoff loop in front of the Marriott" energy here

e: loving the completely paved front yard as well

It keeps the grass stains off of the yard couch.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

D34THROW posted:

At the old office of one of the branches I do work for, the warehouse "supervisor" put a 3" aluminum post through the warehouse wall into the office with a forklift. I could stick my head through the hole.
Is your head really long and thin, perchance?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Blue Moonlight posted:

I hate that I look at this and the thing that makes me most angry is that the columns aren’t centered.

poo poo the entire facade isn't centered. Every element is shifted to the right about 3 or 4 feet.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Scarodactyl posted:

Is your head really long and thin, perchance?

No, it knocked a 12" hole through both sides of the drywall :v:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

It took me a long time to realize that was not a weirdly photoshopped floor and is a set of stairs.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

It keeps the grass stains off of the yard couch.

lol

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

It took me a long time to realize that was not a weirdly photoshopped floor and is a set of stairs.

:stonk: Stop this building I'd like to get out.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

:barf:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Somewhere, Kate McMansion Hell (who is now apparently Kate Cycling Journalist thanks to the power of Jon Bois videos somehow?) wakes up in a cold sweat.

sidenote: her post on the dreamy houses of Oman is worth a look https://mcmansionhell.com/post/677190324106477569/daydream-houses-of-oman

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Finally, a solution to the problem of an aging population.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That staircase looks like something out of a VA clinic.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That staircase looks like something out of a VA clinic.

As in a deep trauma flashback? What war did you fight in?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nah, not a flashback, but the VA likes to "modernize" clinics and hospitals by slapping weird combinations of flooring and wallpaper together. Like that blue carpet at the bottom of those steps. I've gone to around a dozen VA hospitals and clinics since I got out and they all have some weird poo poo going on inside. Sometimes it's nice, sometimes it's like going to the worst Walgreens in town.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The VA is also notoriously trying harder than most of America's enemies to kill its soldiers.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
As long as it's not a southern VA, it's generally fine. They have real problems with people not properly sanitizing equipment/tools and every couple years you'll hear about a bunch of vets from Georgia or Tennessee that were exposed to HIV or hepatitis.

The thing is, that poo poo happens in private hospitals, but you never hear about it because they're not beholden to the public like the VA.

Anyhow, thread related, the Denver/Aurora VA is alright, given they spent $2 billion on it (half was grift). Second most expensive hospital in the world.

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/08/27/va-hospital-aurora-building-budget-expenses/

quote:

A Denver Post review of spending projects since 2018 found piecemeal additions of multi-million-dollar projects that were initially canceled to keep the price tag down — a new $20 million PTSD building among them. Millions more was spent on a litany of malfunctioning, poorly installed, or missing items that were muffed from the start.

Failed sewers, broiling elevators, downspouts spewing hazardous liquid, improper fire doors, and sidewalks without handicap-accessible curbing were a handful of the items that needed to be fixed or reworked, according to records and interviews.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 2, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

As long as it's not a southern VA, it's generally fine. They have real problems with people not properly sanitizing equipment/tools and every couple years you'll hear about a bunch of vets from Georgia or Tennessee that were exposed to HIV or hepatitis.

The thing is, that poo poo happens in private hospitals, but you never hear about it because they're not beholden to the public like the VA.

Anyhow, thread related, the Denver/Aurora VA is alright, given they spent $2 billion on it (half was grift). Second most expensive hospital in the world.

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/08/27/va-hospital-aurora-building-budget-expenses/

The VA is probably the most corrupt major department of the US government and generates a hugely disproportionate share of whistleblowers, while simultaneously suppressing whistleblowers.

For example:
https://www.npr.org/2018/04/27/606461746/beyond-a-failed-nominee-whistleblower-retaliation-another-problem-at-the-va

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
VA is separate from DoD though, and that's honestly the most corrupt government entity we have by far. We give the MIC more through the defense budget than the VA gets altogether.

Gov whistleblowers always wind up suppressed or fired as it stands, the VA just has a whole heap of people who play office politics too loving hard. My aunt is an NP at a VA, sees it every day.

My current PCP (never served) is pretty nice and will order anything her patients need, but my last psychiatrist was an anti-vax veteran with a big ego in play and I did not get along with him. The previous was a nice older woman with lots of turquoise in her office, but I moved away from her area. Honestly, you can find worse health care on the civilian side, but you'll never know because the only people to hear about the fuckups are the shareholders.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Warning: this struck a nerve because I care a LOT about US government contractor fraud. If you dont want a screed about US government contractor fraud just skip this post.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

VA is separate from DoD though, and that's honestly the most corrupt government entity we have by far. We give the MIC more through the defense budget than the VA gets altogether.

Gov whistleblowers always wind up suppressed or fired as it stands, the VA just has a whole heap of people who play office politics too loving hard. My aunt is an NP at a VA, sees it every day.

My current PCP (never served) is pretty nice and will order anything her patients need, but my last psychiatrist was an anti-vax veteran with a big ego in play and I did not get along with him. The previous was a nice older woman with lots of turquoise in her office, but I moved away from her area. Honestly, you can find worse health care on the civilian side, but you'll never know because the only people to hear about the fuckups are the shareholders.

Your experiences with the quality of care has nothing to do with how fraud schemes are perpetrated at the VA.

The VA being separate from the DoD is part of my point, yes, if it was not separate they would not be able to conduct some of the fraud schemes they've been accused of and likely continue to perpetrate. The VA is far more corrupt than the DoD, where corruption involves the intentional misappropriation of taxpayer funds and the suppression of whistleblowers and minimization of investigations into said fraud. The VA is engaging in old-timey fraud, thats generally not tolerated with the DoD. I regularly consult on fraud cases involving government contractors, most frequently WRT the GSA but occasionally with healthcare/medicare/medicaid as well. I've read the complaints and judge opinions from >50% of unsealed false claims act (FCA) cases dealing with "defense contractor" related issues like set-aside contracts, the TAA and your more classic "the thing didnt work properly" type of whistleblower lawsuits.

The DoD will generally participate with the DoJ on investigations into contractors though that is sometimes reduced with the bigger ones because the contracting officers/PMA/PMO and the contractor tend to have much closer relationships, working together daily in some cases. Big DoD contracts have earned value management compliance requirements essentially forcing open books. The VA however skirts under EV required contract size and has been accused many times of literal kickback schemes to enrich people at the VA and contractors. Straight up fraud. The VA also has their own completely hosed contracting process outside of the GSA' supply contracts that help them continue these fraudulent schemes.

Coincidentally I just did a post abut the role of the false claims act with regard to whistleblowers in another thread.

CarForumPoster posted:

KirbyKhan posted:

Don't! Historically speaking America has been EXTREMELY unkind to whistleblowers

US government on internal USG whistleblowers, yes. Whistleblowers on USG CONTRACTORS no. Some parts of the government are better about this than others though. gently caress the VA in particular.

Shaggar posted:

and by compensation you mean being blacklisted from your industry in the best case and in the more likely case jailed for violating state secrets.

Yeah, nah all of this is wrong.

The False Claims Act 101

Qui Tam lawsuits brought under the False Claims Act (FCA) allow a whistleblower (called a "Relator") to bring a lawsuit on behalf of the US government (the plaintiff). If the government recovers money in the suit the relator is entitled to somewhere between 10-33% though must often its 15% if the government intervenes in the case (takes over) and 20-25% if they decline to intervene (the relator's lawyers fight the case). The lawyers who do these do them on contingency, getting attorneys fees + 40-60%, sometimes more if the case is an intense fight, of the Relator's share. Violatiors of the FCA face triple damages + 5K minimum for each submitted false claims at trial, though the most often outcome is a settlement for double damages. E.g. $1M of overpayments = $2M settlement to the government.

The FCA is a fraud statute. Fraud stems from the payment so a relator should able to identify payments that would not have been made, had the conduct been known. Fraud is an intentional act, the fraudster should either know or be negligent in not knowing that they're getting payments they shouldn't.

For example: The govt contractor attested that it would pay minimum wage and not use slave labor for its India-based IT employees, but the Relator knows that Anil Gupta was not being paid minimum wage. The Relator also knows the American IT contract was aware of this but did not disclose it even though the USG's contract required them to pay minimum wage and report violations of the contract. Because of this, all payments made under this contract after the date the company became aware of the violation, or within the 10 year statue of limitations, are due back to the government.

Example 2: A hospital that bills medicare/medicaid had a data breach due to security controls that were not implemented properly. The IT guys reported to the management that the security controls didn't meet the requirements of medicare/medicaid but were ignored. The hospital attested in their contract they met the requirements. Because they did not fix the issues and enter into the process for determining whether they'd have to refund the governments money, they may have liability under the FCA for all payments made under that contract.

RE: Retaliation
If you whistleblow on your current employer and they retaliate, good. Lawyers will gladly rep you on contingency. These can settle much faster than qui tam cases.

RE: Secrets
You usually don't need to share classified information to describe a fraud, though if you're working on an unacknowledged S//SAP or TS/SCI project, there may be issues there.

PM me
If you are aware of a company that gets government payments and is knowingly violating the provisions of their contract, PM me. I've been part of several FCA investigations and know many lawyers in this field.

Case in point: this bitch went to jail. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darleen_Druyun
Worse (in terms of clarity of fraudulent intent) things have been reported by several VA whistleblowers who personally witnessed the fraud and in some cases wore a wire. The people they reported are still working for the VA.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 2, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Didn't expect that wall of text but thank you for giving me a schooling. In relation to Druyun, wasn't there something similar with the officer who decided the uniform contract around the same time, the army ACUs? I vaguely remember hearing the general who chose the pattern took a job from the winning contractor he chose after retiring.

Apologies for derailing but gov fraud is fascinating in a way.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

VA defrauds Medicare/Medicaid, DoD defrauds everybody else. You'll never hear about the poo poo going on where I live right now because 1. Half the DoD doesn't seem to understand the office exists 2. The particulars are about programs that I can't even talk about unless I find public reporting on their existence.

There's one program here that has its expenses prepaid. I'm not privy to how much of it is US funded and how much is from a foreign ally's coffers, but let's say it's a mix. That program doesn't actually operate, so that its funds can become the slush fund for a whole other program. It's a lot of millions of dollars just for that one program, and who knows which other ones are doing the same tricks. The rest of what I know about is pretty pedestrian stuff, just an entire shop of contractors putting in for 20 hours of overtime they didn't work every single week for the last several years at least, a prostitution ring, and guys using government paid vehicles (and fuel) to do Uber, all of it with the knowledge of the second in command of the installation.

Crappy construction: the way the US government operates

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 2, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

BonerGhost posted:

VA defrauds Medicare/Medicaid, DoD defrauds everybody else. You'll never hear about the poo poo going on where I live right now because 1. Half the DoD doesn't seem to understand the office exists 2. The particulars are about programs that I can't even talk about unless I find public reporting on their existence.

There's one program here that has its expenses prepaid. I'm not privy to how much of it is US funded and how much is from a foreign ally's coffers, but let's say it's a mix. That program doesn't actually operate, so that its funds can become the slush fund for a whole other program. It's a lot of millions of dollars just for that one program, and who knows which other ones are doing the same tricks. The rest of what I know about is pretty pedestrian stuff, just an entire shop of contractors putting in for 20 hours of overtime they didn't work every single week for the last several years at least, a prostitution ring, and guys using government paid vehicles (and fuel) to do Uber, all of it with the knowledge of the second in command of the installation.

Crappy construction: the way the US government operates

You're right! Many people won't know what you know. If you know of unethical poo poo happening, report it! You'll get a new job. If you report some illegal poo poo, I will personally help you find a new job and a good, works-on-contingency plaintiffs attorney. (See my recent posts in the BFC resume thread for my qualifications.)

Some thoughts on the facts you posted:
-I am not an expert in how the VA is funded but I believe it is separate of medicare and medicaid, regardless see my previously posted link for an example of a VA fraud having nothing to do with medicare or medicaid.
-If you work inside the USG, that could complicate things but talk to an attorney specializing in qui tam suits before reporting. I mention a few firms below. They might tell you that you have to report internally first, or that you need a new job first but this can vary a lot.
-If you're talking about an unacknowledged program where you can't describe the fraud without revealing something above U//FOUO that's may be an issue but attorney-client privilege may protect you such that you can get a consultation with an FCA expert. If you want, PM me and we can chat in vague details and I can look into plaintiffs attorneys who have handled similar matters.

Here are some generic firms in the FCA arena:
Philips and Cohen are the big boys, with settlements against Pfizer over $2B.
The Employment Law Group hosts the Fed Bar Association's FCA panel for the past 2 or 3 years.
I have worked with Bracker and Marcus out of Atlanta and highly recommend them. Medicare/Medicaid is almost synonymous with qui tam, you'll want a firm experienced in handling non stark/AKS/medicare issues. They've successfully recolved some gov't contractor issues.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Didn't expect that wall of text but thank you for giving me a schooling. In relation to Druyun, wasn't there something similar with the officer who decided the uniform contract around the same time, the army ACUs? I vaguely remember hearing the general who chose the pattern took a job from the winning contractor he chose after retiring.

Apologies for derailing but gov fraud is fascinating in a way.

The revolving door is a real issue, and there is a 2 year requirement regarding it. However that law is sometimes skirted by the newly retired person acting as a consultant for a few years before getting a job. Those consulting relationships have been found improper at times, but the revolving door is still a thing to this day. I was once an engineer for two of the top 5 govt contractors and we definitely hired people at the director level out of the PMO/PMA to do business development, which kinda rubbed me wrong. I'm not familiar with that one explicitly though.

Ill say the thing the DoD has going for it to prevent fraud is the SBA and GSA acting as separate entities with separate laws. This prevents a lot of day to day fraud by the little guys because if a contractor is doing an 8(a) set-aside fraud for some government IT poo poo, the GSA has 400 other 8(a) contractors half of them selling the exact same thing. They don't give two fucks about lighting up a contractor over that poo poo and they have many times. Those cases get intervened far more often than your medicare kickback (Stark/AKS) cases. (Also they're factually much simpler, proving fraud is hard if someone isn't stupid enough to write down the details of the fraud...and if they are you have trouble proving intent aka "scienter")

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Procedurally generated stairs.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

But why?

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

You're right! Many people won't know what you know. If you know of unethical poo poo happening, report it! You'll get a new job. If you report some illegal poo poo, I will personally help you find a new job and a good, works-on-contingency plaintiffs attorney. (See my recent posts in the BFC resume thread for my qualifications.)

Some thoughts on the facts you posted:
-I am not an expert in how the VA is funded but I believe it is separate of medicare and medicaid, regardless see my previously posted link for an example of a VA fraud having nothing to do with medicare or medicaid.
-If you work inside the USG, that could complicate things but talk to an attorney specializing in qui tam suits before reporting. I mention a few firms below. They might tell you that you have to report internally first, or that you need a new job first but this can vary a lot.
-If you're talking about an unacknowledged program where you can't describe the fraud without revealing something above U//FOUO that's may be an issue but attorney-client privilege may protect you such that you can get a consultation with an FCA expert. If you want, PM me and we can chat in vague details and I can look into plaintiffs attorneys who have handled similar matters.

Here are some generic firms in the FCA arena:
Philips and Cohen are the big boys, with settlements against Pfizer over $2B.
The Employment Law Group hosts the Fed Bar Association's FCA panel for the past 2 or 3 years.
I have worked with Bracker and Marcus out of Atlanta and highly recommend them. Medicare/Medicaid is almost synonymous with qui tam, you'll want a firm experienced in handling non stark/AKS/medicare issues. They've successfully recolved some gov't contractor issues.

The revolving door is a real issue, and there is a 2 year requirement regarding it. However that law is sometimes skirted by the newly retired person acting as a consultant for a few years before getting a job. Those consulting relationships have been found improper at times, but the revolving door is still a thing to this day. I was once an engineer for two of the top 5 govt contractors and we definitely hired people at the director level out of the PMO/PMA to do business development, which kinda rubbed me wrong. I'm not familiar with that one explicitly though.

Ill say the thing the DoD has going for it to prevent fraud is the SBA and GSA acting as separate entities with separate laws. This prevents a lot of day to day fraud by the little guys because if a contractor is doing an 8(a) set-aside fraud for some government IT poo poo, the GSA has 400 other 8(a) contractors half of them selling the exact same thing. They don't give two fucks about lighting up a contractor over that poo poo and they have many times. Those cases get intervened far more often than your medicare kickback (Stark/AKS) cases. (Also they're factually much simpler, proving fraud is hard if someone isn't stupid enough to write down the details of the fraud...and if they are you have trouble proving intent aka "scienter")

In my experience, SBA set asides are a massive source of fraud. Most of the official small business are just subsidiaries of some massive conglomerate. We bid one small business set aside contract where all three companies that entered a bid were Honeywell subsidiaries obviously colluding on price. I don't know about GSA but SBA is a loving joke.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Zil posted:

But why?

Murder?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Leviathan Song posted:

In my experience, SBA set asides are a massive source of fraud. Most of the official small business are just subsidiaries of some massive conglomerate. We bid one small business set aside contract where all three companies that entered a bid were Honeywell subsidiaries obviously colluding on price. I don't know about GSA but SBA is a loving joke.

Oh completely agree that there are plenty of companies getting unlawful set asides. I'm arguing the SBA is more likely to assign an investigator and support the DoJ's case when it is reported, while the VA will ignore/try to obscure an investigation. Again if you know of government fraud, report it! Or talk to a false claims act attorney! There's a small chance you could get retirement money, its a pretty fuckin good lottery ticket.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I like the reinforcement on the top steps, those will handle plenty of weight

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Sentient Data posted:

I like the reinforcement on the top steps, those will handle plenty of weight

Noonan?

You'll like nothing, and like it!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

StormDrain posted:

You nailed it. If you asked an AI with a genetic algorithm to come up with stairs, this is what would come out.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I worked for the VA. There was a hospital in my region that had a dentist who wasn't cleaning his poo poo and my department got to help clean up the mess. That same hospital had a chief of staff nicknamed the Candy Man for handing out opiates like mad. He eventually killed one vet with them, well one that could be pinned on him directly, and got fired. They also had their ED downgraded to urgent care and had to close their inpatient mental health. And that wasn't even the worst hospital in the region. The problem, imo, is that it has hospital bureaucracy and government bureaucracy tangled together and they make reforms impossible. The scheduling software when I was there 5 years ago was still command line based.

The medical staff that I worked with were great, unless they were in management.

Check out this twitter account. Some weird and cool stuff.
https://twitter.com/UniqueBuilding5/status/1510236307724779526

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

StormDrain posted:

Maybe if your procedure had a fencepost error and a divide-by-zero.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Hail satan.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

There's nothing obviously wrong with those display shelves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I'm the 1/2 foot of 3/4" ply hanging in the air with three (likely drywall) screws supporting it.