Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think this would match some of the previous statements which were all weird like ~Ukraine now has more usable aircraft than before thanks to a mysterious donor~

Like jesus christ just hand over the migs already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Look we're all trying to find the guy who did this

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

mmkay posted:

Different graphic, but similar idea:

it isn't the same without my main man in the red

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

mobby_6kl posted:

I think this would match some of the previous statements which were all weird like ~Ukraine now has more usable aircraft than before thanks to a mysterious donor~

Like jesus christ just hand over the migs already.

See that tyre sitting over there? That is all that is left of one of our planes. If only someone would provide the missing parts...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

It's like F1, where the team truck spare parts stockpile is actually enough to build another 2.5 cars from scratch

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Decent thread.
https://twitter.com/mortis_banned/status/1516666391465705477

Also, rumour mill is starting about 2015-style purges in LDNR.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

PerilPastry posted:

Someone posted this earlier but it didn't generate much discussion. Not sure I agree with this take. Smacks of wishful thinking. What's the idea here? That Putin will simply content himself to a land corridor between Crimea and Donbas?

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1515765884094197769?s=20&t=Puxe8vs-OJCrso6Ll1IF3A

Well this aged badly considering the guy has links to fairly senior people in the Ukrainian government.

Could the intel they've been receiving be this bad or was it deliberately posted I wonder.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

gay picnic defence posted:

Well this aged badly considering the guy has links to fairly senior people in the Ukrainian government.

Could the intel they've been receiving be this bad or was it deliberately posted I wonder.

I mean for all the current noise the only place the russians have moved the borders is in Kreminna. Twitter analysts are painting a lot of ominous red arrows far into Ukrainian held territory, but I haven't actually seen any sign of movement in those areas. It remains the case that the Russians are mostly just shelling, and those areas they are attacking they do not manage to break through, so far. All those BTGs in Izium still haven't done anything of note, so I'd wait before I dismiss the idea that they might not dare to risk a major operation. the Kyiv assault resulted in almost unimaginable losses, and they risk similar in the donbas, and the almost total loss of initiative on the ground. It's a hell of a risk to take for the russians.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

This tacks on to a more general question maybe you guys can help me with:
Why are these discussions of specific gear conducted so openly? Why aren't western politicians contenting themselves to saying "we are continuing to provide material aid to the defense of Ukraine but we sadly can't provide more details due to OPSEC"? Is it just managing public relations, to be able to counter charges of not doing enough? Is it to give back channels time to gauge the Russian reaction so no red lines are inadvertently crossed? (That seems to be what killed the MiG/Mannheim scheme after all.)

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit
Norway donating 100 mistral manpads to get rid of old inventory I guess.
https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3462455-norway-to-send-about-100-mistral-air-defense-missiles-to-ukraine.html

:downs:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/samramani2/status/1516743764026576905

Germany is copying homework of our defence minister and boasting of its secret, but indubitably huge, assistance.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/USEmbassyKyiv/status/1516745565362704385

Minor nms warning because it's an aggregate article. There might be war photos on there.

quote:

Quintana theorized that Mariupol authorities aligned with Russians gave them his passport, which was confiscated in December by police when he tried to retrieve his son, Alexander, as Russian troops amassed at the border of Ukraine. His estranged wife, Antonina Aslanova, had abducted Alexander over a year earlier and gone back to her homeland, authorities say.

Imagine being listed a KIA in Ukraine, but you're really just chilling in California.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

PerilPastry posted:

This tacks on to a more general question maybe you guys can help me with:
Why are these discussions of specific gear conducted so openly? Why aren't western politicians contenting themselves to saying "we are continuing to provide material aid to the defense of Ukraine but we sadly can't provide more details due to OPSEC"? Is it just managing public relations, to be able to counter charges of not doing enough? Is it to give back channels time to gauge the Russian reaction so no red lines are inadvertently crossed? (That seems to be what killed the MiG/Mannheim scheme after all.)

Because saying it out loud makes it more difficult or even impossible for Russia to sell the "see we told you this was old man Nato all along" idea to the people who aren't yet eating up the "brainworms"-level of propaganda. Also, declaring your intent beforehand gives Russia no room to "retaliate", since this armament deal was done openly with Ukraine, so gently caress the Russia and their feelings about it.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Reminder: Scott Ritter is a convicted sex offender.

He’s also a paid Russian stooge. I know most know that, but just in case anyone hasn’t heard the name before.

Edit: Beaten like Scott in lockup.
Is he an actual paid Russian stooge, or is that just another accusation?

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

What sites or plugins are you using to read all these Cyrillic tweets?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Old James posted:

What sites or plugins are you using to read all these Cyrillic tweets?

Twitter has a built-in translation tool for tweets.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Der Kyhe posted:

Because saying it out loud makes it more difficult or even impossible for Russia to sell the "see we told you this was old man Nato all along" idea to the people who aren't yet eating up the "brainworms"-level of propaganda. Also, declaring your intent beforehand gives Russia no room to "retaliate", since this armament deal was done openly with Ukraine, so gently caress the Russia and their feelings about it.

Yeah, the idea is to dis-incentivize further aggression by Russia by openly and publicly taking action. A lot of the reason this war happened was that Putin was convinced the West wouldn't respond.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/myroslavapetsa/status/1516754012888047623

https://twitter.com/andersostlund/status/1516682695342006272

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Twitter has a built-in translation tool for tweets.

Unfortunately, I do not have a Twitter account so I have to pull the tweet up in Firefox then copy the text into Google Translate to read it.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

It is also notable that Aftonbladet, the tabloid that published this, is Swedens largest newspaper and very closely affiliated with the Social Democratic party. Today they changed their editorial position to advocating in favor of NATO membership, after decades of NATO opposition. This is a pretty huge sign that the Social Democrats have made up their mind in favor of a NATO application.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:nws: Protest against sexual violence in the war, in front of Embassy of Russia in Riga – similar to Estonian and Lithuanian protests earlier.

https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/lat...kraina.a453029/

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Just being truthful.

They were supplied with used aircraft, not new aircraft. Easy distinction to miss.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

NTRabbit posted:

It's like F1, where the team truck spare parts stockpile is actually enough to build another 2.5 cars from scratch

Can't wait to play My Summer MiG

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:nws: Protest against sexual violence in the war, in front of Embassy of Russia in Riga – similar to Estonian and Lithuanian protests earlier.

https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/lat...kraina.a453029/

Huh, apparently there was one in front of the Russian Embasy in Gdańsk as well. How nice to see solidarity.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DandyLion posted:

Just being truthful.

They were supplied with used aircraft, not new aircraft. Easy distinction to miss.

Possibly also the parts needed to get a couple damaged ones back in the air.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

I was just wondering how she was. Wikipedia says she's now deputy director of Russia's local foreign aid organization, Rossotrudnichestvo, which has been assessed recently to be organizing pro-Russia protests in Europe.

It's interesting to see her be so reasonable, then.

Googling her also helpfully shows that she's single now. She's still the internet's Russian girlfriend, I guess.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Deteriorata posted:

Unfortunately, I do not have a Twitter account so I have to pull the tweet up in Firefox then copy the text into Google Translate to read it.

If you have chrome you can just right click anywhere on a page to translate everything.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Unclear when this was recorded
https://mobile.twitter.com/mdmitri91/status/1516709136255361026

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

William Bear posted:

I was just wondering how she was. Wikipedia says she's now deputy director of Russia's local foreign aid organization, Rossotrudnichestvo, which has been assessed recently to be organizing pro-Russia protests in Europe.

Googling her also helpfully shows that she's single now. She's still the internet's Russian girlfriend, I guess.

In that interview she goes into details of her current responsibilities. Essentially, she curates cultural and diaspora outreach. She forwards complaints about alleged russophobia to international human rights orgs, signs on art exhibitions and theatre performances abroad, etc. The way she was shuffled around, it's a dead-end job, but she seems happy with it.

As a deeply religious persons she sees the war as an undeniable tragedy for her people (she identifies as Ukrainian) and has the spine to say it out loud. She is still a Russian government official, and she still says that Maidan was an illegal right wing coup, and the Crimean referendum was legitimate, but she is principled enough about her world view to call out higher-ups for things that go against it. She tells an interesting story about her visiting the newly occupied Kherson region with a humanitarian aid convoy she helped organise. The locals wouldn't take the food from the soldiers, but agreed to take it from her, and their only question to her was 'are Russians going to be here for long?', which made her further question the whole thing.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

This is interesting - thread that goes into detail on how Russia is getting hacked left and right at the moment. It's way more than has even been reported
https://twitter.com/micahflee/status/1516521193808875527?s=20&t=ixnN_diICiuUcU8sNEE7Hg
Threadreader bc it's long and full of links: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1516521193808875527.html

And the site the thread is discussing https://ddosecrets.com/wiki/Distributed_Denial_of_Secrets

One of the most recent leaks is from the General Dept. of Troops and Civil Construction, which I find intruging for some reason. Probably due to my newly discovered fascination with logistics.

If anyone speaks Russian have a peek.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

catfry posted:

I mean for all the current noise the only place the russians have moved the borders is in Kreminna. Twitter analysts are painting a lot of ominous red arrows far into Ukrainian held territory, but I haven't actually seen any sign of movement in those areas. It remains the case that the Russians are mostly just shelling, and those areas they are attacking they do not manage to break through, so far. All those BTGs in Izium still haven't done anything of note, so I'd wait before I dismiss the idea that they might not dare to risk a major operation. the Kyiv assault resulted in almost unimaginable losses, and they risk similar in the donbas, and the almost total loss of initiative on the ground. It's a hell of a risk to take for the russians.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of maps with big red arrows except for showing past movements. Dotted arrows would be better. I'm equally annoyed by some otherwise good maps which show higher headquarters and subordinate units at the same time, using the same-sized icons, with nothing to indicate which subordinate units roll up to a given higher headquarters.

Visual design matters.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Scaramouche posted:

Canada is sending "artillery", at least some of which must be bought because as far as I knew the only artillery we had was for triggering avalanches

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-sanctions-putin-daughters-1.6423273

I was surprised too but turns out we have M777 155mm howitzers. But other articles indicate that Canada is actively using those and also aren't sure that it's a good idea to send towed guns where the lightly armoured drive vehicles would be vulnerable.
Turns out Canada may have some M109 self-propelled howitzers warehoused that could be sent?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Der Kyhe posted:

A large part is just assuring domestic audience that yes, we are helping! But another part is that in a western democracy, it's hard to hide that information either. Any journo can just make an information request and it would be really hard to justify this as a matter of national safety that needs to be kept secret. The alternative would be that our governments could be secretly participating in some Iran-Contra level bullshit.

GSV Fuck Your God
Aug 27, 2003

small-l liberalism

Der Kyhe posted:

Yeah. It's in line with the US pre-war diplomatic strategy of telling everyone what Russia's intentions were - which was borne out very well and helped everyone understand correctly that Putin was already set on the invasion, attempts at negotiations were laudable but would be fruitless, and any pretext that might be given was merely that. Extending that to the present conduct, it helps convey moral clarity and so on.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

KitConstantine posted:

This is interesting - thread that goes into detail on how Russia is getting hacked left and right at the moment. It's way more than has even been reported
I was just wondering whether something like this happens and it's good to see that it indeed happens and that Russian cybersecurity is probably as rotten as everything else and they are being successfully attacked.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

KitConstantine posted:

https://twitter.com/micahflee/status/1516521193808875527?s=20&t=ixnN_diICiuUcU8sNEE7Hg
Threadreader bc it's long and full of links: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1516521193808875527.html

And the site the thread is discussing https://ddosecrets.com/wiki/Distributed_Denial_of_Secrets

One of the most recent leaks is from the General Dept. of Troops and Civil Construction, which I find intruging for some reason. Probably due to my newly discovered fascination with logistics.

If anyone speaks Russian have a peek.

Yeah I've talked to a few buddies in cybersec and they said that whille Russia has the capabilities and a silent (or loud) government approval for hacking, they don't have any infrastructure for defense. It was just that noone cared enough to hack them before. Now with the war in full swing there is a lot you can cause with hacking, taking TV offline, changing offcial messages, maybe leak as much data as possible and see if anything is of any use etc.

A textbook definition of "glass cannon".

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Ynglaur posted:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of maps with big red arrows except for showing past movements. Dotted arrows would be better. I'm equally annoyed by some otherwise good maps which show higher headquarters and subordinate units at the same time, using the same-sized icons, with nothing to indicate which subordinate units roll up to a given higher headquarters.

Visual design matters.

I highly doubt they actually have real information on which units are actually doing what and subordinate to which HQ beyond vague generalities. But it's twitter and you gotta win the clout chasing war.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Paladinus posted:

In that interview she goes into details of her current responsibilities. Essentially, she curates cultural and diaspora outreach. She forwards complaints about alleged russophobia to international human rights orgs, signs on art exhibitions and theatre performances abroad, etc. The way she was shuffled around, it's a dead-end job, but she seems happy with it.

As a deeply religious persons she sees the war as an undeniable tragedy for her people (she identifies as Ukrainian) and has the spine to say it out loud. She is still a Russian government official, and she still says that Maidan was an illegal right wing coup, and the Crimean referendum was legitimate, but she is principled enough about her world view to call out higher-ups for things that go against it. She tells an interesting story about her visiting the newly occupied Kherson region with a humanitarian aid convoy she helped organise. The locals wouldn't take the food from the soldiers, but agreed to take it from her, and their only question to her was 'are Russians going to be here for long?', which made her further question the whole thing.

Thanks, I didn't know that. She sounds interesting. Is there a place I could read this in English, or just written down so I can machine translate it?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

sotary posted:

I mean - if Putin hadn't invaded then they would have just claimed that the intel and raising awareness of his intention to invade stopped the invasion.

It's like the rock that keeps away tigers! Either US/NATO intelligence folks get to claim they are doing a great job. IMO!

I don't think it counts as the tiger-repelling rock when they were right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

William Bear posted:

She’s about to be unemployed at best, and I cannot say my heart is particularly hurting for that being her individual consequences.

https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/5317381
https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/5317384