Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
While watching this I was like, "wow I don't remember this chapter at all."

Because something like 80% of this episode was anime-original! They did a pretty good job with it, too. You'd never know that it's "filler."

If anyone wants to compare versus the manga: https://spyxmanga.com/manga/spy-x-family-chapter-6/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Unlucky7 posted:

I love that the other agents were all in on it as well.

Sort of. They're basically rationalizing that this is somehow super important for the mission; and in it to see Loid's skills; I dont think there was anything to indicate they were doing this for say, Anya's own sake.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I love that Loid's only issue with Yor going ham was that she shouldn't have been doing physical attacks since she was supposed to be a witch

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Raenir Salazar posted:

Sort of. They're basically rationalizing that this is somehow super important for the mission; and in it to see Loid's skills; I dont think there was anything to indicate they were doing this for say, Anya's own sake.

I meant more that they are putting their full rear end into it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

A nice round of applause for the breakout new character: Bottle of Wine

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

I love that Loid's only issue with Yor going ham was that she shouldn't have been doing physical attacks since she was supposed to be a witch

I'm surprised none of the other agents were like "who is this woman who got a hit on Twilight??"

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Carlosologist posted:

I wonder if he's chalked it up as being drunken fisticuffs or if his own skills are so high that he's subconsciously raised the bar as to what other people should be able to accomplish?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Yor's done kung-fu stuff in other eps, Loid would have figured it out by now. That fact that he doesn't comment makes me thing he's spent so much time as a spy and so little as a civilian that that sort of thing seems commonplace to him now.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hold Anya gentle, like hamburger

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Yor's done kung-fu stuff in other eps, Loid would have figured it out by now. That fact that he doesn't comment makes me thing he's spent so much time as a spy and so little as a civilian that that sort of thing seems commonplace to him now.

I think it's also that this mission is taking him so far out of his comfort zone and stressing him out that Loid is either consciously or unconsciously rationalizing Yor's blatant superpowers because she's worked out almost perfectly as a fake wife/mom and having to suspect her for any reason would just be another complication. He is originally suspicious when she manages to get behind him in the tailor shop without him noticing when they very first meet but he pretty much drops it immediately when he realizes she's a potential wife.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Loid flash stepping to answer the phone when they were waiting to hear the news was pretty funny.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Just straight up fought the entire WISE organization for the daughter

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hell yeah!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I've been waiting for Drunk Yor since the start of the show and this episode did not disappoint.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://i.imgur.com/Gdl6P22.mp4

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
That GIF makes it clear Yor is a Chaika who minmaxed Strength.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Just popping in to say I watched the first two episodes today and am hooked.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I feel like Loid and Yor are basically Archer characters, without the misanthropy: Good at what they do, but dumb at just about everything else.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The ED has a music video with english subs, the lyrics fit pretty well with the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Oyplmhhv0

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Unlucky7 posted:

I feel like Loid and Yor are basically Archer characters, without the misanthropy: Good at what they do, but dumb at just about everything else.

Archer characters aren't really good at their jobs either :v:

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Archer characters aren't really good at their jobs either :v:

Archer, Lana, and even Cyril are hilariously good at Spy poo poo underneath all the dysfunction.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

WISE: "Wow, we blew so much of our annual operational budget on that stunt."

Awesome stuff.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Electric Phantasm posted:

The ED has a music video with english subs, the lyrics fit pretty well with the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Oyplmhhv0

I want to know what the lyrics for the opening are so I can understand why it ends with a picture of a stomach.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I want to know what the lyrics for the opening are so I can understand why it ends with a picture of a stomach.

The OP also has a music video with english subs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbH2F0kXgTY

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It's something like "these secrets and lies are giving me an upset stomach" at that point iirc

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

So, as a non-manga reader, I hope we're going to get something about why Yor being an assassin is different than Loid being a spy. Because right now her role seems purely to add another personality to the mix, given that Loid apparently can do everything she can. *insert griping about spies being really good at killing people instead of doing intelligence work*

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Loid is nowhere near as good at combat as Yor.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Maera Sior posted:

So, as a non-manga reader, I hope we're going to get something about why Yor being an assassin is different than Loid being a spy. Because right now her role seems purely to add another personality to the mix, given that Loid apparently can do everything she can. *insert griping about spies being really good at killing people instead of doing intelligence work*

Loid is the best spy Westalis has, and can basically take on the entire Westalis spy network solo but Yor was nearly able to overwhelm him, to the point he thought he might die, within a few seconds, while drunk and she only failed because she was too drunk to react to her shoe breaking. She is absolutely more capable as a fighter than Loid.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also she just kills people, Twilight does a bunch of different stuff.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well, as Loid said, she doesn't cook but she does keep the house clean and, more broadly speaking, she's an actual parental figure who's not just around when Loid isn't or can't be, but who fully believes in her role. Loid is a parental figure, but his parenting is directly tied to the mission and the two occasionally come into conflict in his mind as priorities. Yor has no actual greater cause for it; to her, Anya is her daughter, and that's that. She wants to raise her as it's own end, not just as a means to an end.

I'm going to put an additional bit of context in spoilers too, but it's something the anime has implied, if not outright stated (I can't remember if it's been explicit yet or not) and isn't a major spoiler regardless: Yor is not just someone who believes in her role as a maternal figure, but who has actual experience in that role, having raised her younger brother.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 8, 2022

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

tsob posted:

Loid is the best spy Westalis has, and can basically take on the entire Westalis spy network solo but Yor was nearly able to overwhelm him, to the point he thought he might die, within a few seconds, while drunk and she only failed because she was too drunk to react to her shoe breaking. She is absolutely more capable as a fighter than Loid.

This is anime, I'm not going to assume someone is a worse fighter when drunk.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Maera Sior posted:

This is anime, I'm not going to assume someone is a worse fighter when drunk.

She could be just as good drunk as sober and it'd still mean she can put Loid purely on the defense and overwhelm even that in a few seconds. You'd have to assume she's significantly better drunk than sober, without anyone actually giving any reason to think that's true beyond "well, it's anime", to conclude that she's not a far better fighter than him.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

WISE: "Wow, we blew so much of our annual operational budget on that stunt."

Awesome stuff.

You know how they say raising a child is expensive?

Well...

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Maera Sior posted:

There will be, but also

Assassin: Kills people, nearly exclusively any work they do is going to involve SOMEONE DYING, generally a target and their bodyguards, although sometimes assassins are brought along as a bodyguard themselves (being good at killing someone through their security means you generally have a good idea of how you would stop someone from doing the same.) or as muscle for something else.

Spy: Generally engages in activities to benefit the interests of their employer, in twilights case his country. Might kill someone, might just plant embarrassing things about that person, might secretly help someone out because its better for their country for that person to be in power. Generally someone like Twlight is going to be doing anything asked or required of him which generally does not involve large amounts of murder. First episode where he beats up the guy who wanted to reveal the toupee he doesn't really kill any of his gang or the guy himself, no reason to do so. Yor would have just completely obliterated that guy and his gang just to be sure.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Yor is dumb, Loid isn't but my read is that both of them are so concerned with keeping up the charade and happy that it's somehow working that they're just not registering any of the weird stuff that happens. Yor can pressure-point a cow? Thank god I didn't have to use the pistol. Loid can punch a table in half? Thank god he didn't notice me about to kill the examiners.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

tsob posted:

From what I've heard, in the manga, there was a lot less excitement by the other spies in doing this and seemed to be more annoyance than anything. The anime is an improvement

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Xelkelvos posted:

From what I've heard, in the manga, there was a lot less excitement by the other spies in doing this and seemed to be more annoyance than anything. The anime is an improvement

In the manga Loid didn't fight any of the other spies, but they're shown wanting to get his autograph so they're not actually like, annoyed or anything. The entire fight and chase sequence was added up until Yor drunkenly attacks Loid.

The castle stuff is only like a third of the chapter this episode adapts.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arist posted:

In the manga Loid didn't fight any of the other spies, but they're shown wanting to get his autograph so they're not actually like, annoyed or anything. The entire fight and chase sequence was added up until Yor drunkenly attacks Loid.

The castle stuff is only like a third of the chapter this episode adapts.

Yeah I read that chapter specifically since it got linked here and in the manga they just show up to the castle and there's one page of Loid calling all his spy buddies to come dress up. Then Anya stands in a corner yelling about being captured and Loid/Yor fight. It's extremely brief and imo the anime did a very good job blowing it up into a fantastic over the top set piece.

The manga doesn't even have the airplane, which means this is 100% anime original and has me fully onboard:

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
This was the highest budget filler episode in anime history. I loved every second of it, show owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Something nobody's mentioned about the Loid and Yor fight is that Loid can't actually, y'know, fight back. If he actually went all out on Yor it would completely gently caress up his whole mission.